Xeldrak

Going toward Eeloo...Yes, again.

Just did a close up on my ship.

Can anyone see the obvious mistake?

Well there is more than one but there is a big one.;.;

JYAZXtH.png

ME

EDIT:

I am going to finish my burn as proof of concept......But then to bed with me.

Enough.

EDIT that EDIT:

If I stow the panel over the door I can use it.
The ladder pokes out from the box. Alright.
Edited by Martian Emigrant

I did not go to space today.

Instead, I opted to attempt some interpretations of the Dragonfly from Jonny Quest series. It occurred to me to ask the question: Is that plane a RATO or a Skylon type craft? Its launch power is ridiculous, suggesting it uses LFO but it has what I believe to be a ventral intake appropriate for a scramjet engine. Technically, then, I made both types and both produce the inherent piloting challenges that come with the design according to KSP's physics: steering is a pain, the landing AoA needs to be very shallow, and over Mach 4.5 the noses will threaten to explode.

The type A (Skylon variant), although I made it second, uses an OPT Ari-75 clipped inside the Whiplash...which is nearly useless as at no situation in flight is this engine able to lift the craft on its own. It's just there to use IntakeAir. This craft does 0~100m/s in 7 seconds and can travel about 560km before running dry.

LWZkhGF.jpg

2N2xdYR.jpg

The type B (RATO variant) has an OPT J-92 (hybrid scramjet) and a Vector engine clipped into that, and two Whiplashes to support the J-92 while subsonic. The Vector is like [illegal substance] for the air engines, granting 0~100m/s in 5 seconds. :P Unlike the type A, this one could possibly circle Kerbin. Also it's an SSTO. Didn't plan that but yay!

9fPoYmk.jpg

SP8EKce.jpg

Spoiler

Rekt! :P

tFOO57M.jpg

AyJBcsd.jpg

7 hours ago, RoboRay said:

While waiting for the 1.2 download, I explored the highlands on the Peninsula of Disappointment just across Booster Bay from KSC.

What's the baseplate for that rover?

Also, finished designing and testing all the vehicle for my Jool-5 run, and updated my log thread. (Link in my sig.)

I got the go-ahead from the challenge maintainer, and I launched the first vehicle...  and KSP crashed.  It's late, I'm tired, so I'm going to take that as a sign.

Edited by DerekL1963

6 hours ago, Martian Emigrant said:

Still trying to get to Eeloo under 50t.

So much to learn.

Keep at it! There's a lot of room left to downsize still. The record I've seen in a certain video is something like 3.6 tons to Eeloo (and back, too). Admittedly with a lot of gravity assists.

I made an Eve lander and return ship. My first that I made 100% myself (though with ideas from others of course). If it lands at least 700m above Sea Level it can reach orbit with a few 100m/s to spare.

And the pod can be detached and attached to another ship. It's going in mothballs now until I'm ready for a Grand Tour.

Few more flights of insanity to harvest funds allowed the tracking station to hit level two. That was followed by a 30 part ship on a mun flyby and science mission seeing Val hit the second level to match Jeb. Care taken not to orbit and indeed a short encounter then cheap return to not invalidate a future contract to orbit.

next stage is probably a tourist orbiter for Kerbin as a further funds harvester to upgrade KSC more to support future Mun landings and flights to Minmus

Downloaded KSP 1.2 and then sent Jeb into space and he came down without killing himself.  First try.  Happy.  Once MechJeb is back I will be putting up comsats and scanners and all kinds of junk.  And start my long-term game to TRULY explore all the planets.  Do or die.  This will be the game.  All this stuff we can do, even in a sandbox game now.  I now have a reason to explore beyond the home planet.  I will build a interplanetary mother-ship, fueling bases, landers, the works.  

Yesterday: Got two orbiting Kerbals rescued with the same rocket (low Kerbin orbit and high orbit), did a mid-air crew report study with a now more-stable spaceplane with 4 Panther engines (WOO-HOOO for Wet Mode), sent Sceince from a Sat Lab orbiting Kerbin, did a basic orbiting touring contract for two female Kerbal tourists, and I'll eventually be exploring the Mun, and finally work on plans to make an orbiting Minmus Station, AND retrieve a stranded grounded Kerbal on Minmus.

Edited by Dire_Squid

17 hours ago, AstroBovice said:

I would like to do the same, im modded up at the moment! How do I keep my game on this version? 

Thanks!

Depends on how you usually go about updating the game. Assuming you're on PC, if you go through Steam, make a copy of your current KSP directory before you fire the next time you fire up the game. You might want to add the version information to the name of the copied file directory; I do this myself, and in my archives I have versions going all the way back to 0.18. This should also help you out if you rely on CKAN to update your mods, though I can't attest to that personally. Myself, I usually grab my updates from the KSP store.

(1.1.3) Last night was spent on my desktop career save getting Jabit III back to Kerbinport 7 and docking a habitation module with the Munport 7 space station in anticipation of the massive numbers of tourists I was planning to send there. It was particularly nerve-wracking since I didn't time things very well at all; I was constantly having to shift back and forth between the two flights since their nodes were lining up pretty well. The big panic moment of the night was when I switched back to Jabit III and found it 53,000m above Kerbin not pointed retrograde and with the ship's solar panels still deployed. There was some frantic maneuvering there to keep the craft intact but it worked out. Jabit III arrived at Kerbinport with 1 m/s of fuel remaining, and Munport can now house up to twenty Kerbals from its original four-Kerbal capacity. 

I'd be happy, except the Kraken also ate all my contracts (again) last night, which I discovered after Jabit III final docked. At this point I've got sixteen freeloaders aboard Kerbinport with no ready method for getting them back down again (at least not without trashing the space station, which I'm hesitant to do...).

12 hours ago, Vanguard319 said:

I've been trying to build a simple aircraft, only to find that it's almost impossible to build one with the early stock parts.

EDIT: Tried one of my old SSTOs and found it runs fine, building a simple aircraft is hard now.

What specific problems are you having, and which version are you running? - as per my previous, I haven't updated to 1.2 yet.

1.1.3, I've had reasonable successes with Juno-powered craft. You do have to adjust the characteristics of the wheels a bit (especially if all you've got is the crummy bush-plane gear) and the Level 1 Runway is fairly useless. FAR (with its ability to set control surfaces as spoilers) helps here.

Wasted an hour with the KSP -popupwindow launching spread over two monitors and refusing to be moved...

Never figured out why. System restore sorted it. Running 1.1.3 out of a folder far, far away from Steam's sticky fingers, and really shouldn't have been affected - but is it possible the 1.2 update overwrite a registry setting or something? :S 

4 minutes ago, Choctofliatrio2.0 said:

Tried 1.2 yesterday. Started a career, got angry at the navball (For some reason now it hides whenever you open map view). Made a terrible orbital rocket. It barely made it to orbit. I had to upgrade the astronaut complex so Jeb could EVA and push the ship into orbit XD

Check the Settings and Tick the Box with auohide navball or something like this :) 

5 minutes ago, Choctofliatrio2.0 said:

Tried 1.2 yesterday. Started a career, got angry at the navball (For some reason now it hides whenever you open map view). Made a terrible orbital rocket. It barely made it to orbit. I had to upgrade the astronaut complex so Jeb could EVA and push the ship into orbit XD

The Always Hide Navball option is in the Settings menu  :)

I am running 1.2. The problem I'm having is that the early aircraft designs I used in previous versions no longer work, namely ones not meant to go to space, and are meant for fulfilling early contracts like surveys and tourism. I used to be able to build a fairly reliable stable plane using 2 Juno engines, now I need a flea just to get off the ground, and three junos just to stay airborne. Even then, I find the modified design enters a spin just trying to make a shallow turn, and landing it is nearly impossible. On the positive side though, when I went into sandbox and tried out one of my SSTOs, I found the R.A.P.I.E.R. engines seem to run better than they used to, (I don't have to lower my nose to get over 400 m/s anymore.) and the plane can maintain a higher speed at lower altitudes before it begins to over heat. Landing it is easy enough. Maybe it's just me, but the Junos seem even more underpowered than they were previously

What I have currently researched:

basic rocketry, engineering 101, stability, survivability, general construction, aviation, flight control, basic science, landing, space exploration, and electronics.

14 hours ago, DerekL1963 said:

What's the baseplate for that rover?

Air.  :)

nfvHP4J.png

OLO1eON.png

I stuck an M-Beam 650 on each end of the control pod to mount the wheels, then slid the beams out away from the pod as far as I could with the translate gizmo.  I let the big battery boxes fill in the gaps to make it look right.

5 minutes ago, RoboRay said:

I stuck an M-Beam 650 on each end of the control pod to mount the wheels, then slid the beams out away from the pod as far as I could with the translate gizmo.  I let the big battery boxes fill in the gaps to make it look right.

Clever - thanks!

Things I did today.

1. Install 1.2
  2. Start fresh career
  3. Realize how hard it is to play without KER and maneuver nodes
  4. Still get to orbit
  5. Quickly upgraded a few buildings and get some basic science
  6. Do a Mun flyby (the actual highlight of the day, no screenshots)
  7. Build Jeb a plane to get more science from biomes
  8. Take a cool screenshot
  9. Post on the forums

Btw, I love 1.2!!!! 

Installation on Linux was no issue at all. It feels so much more polished. A lot of little details make the game so much better. The VAB works better (brighter colors, and many more categories of parts!). The exp. storage unit is awesome. Wheels appear a little sturdier: they didn't explode on this little craft, and I even managed to land it on the tier-0 bumpy runway, (which I then still upgraded ASAP, cos it still sucks, lol)!!

2IANoMB.jpg

@Vanguard319, I really do not recognize your complaint about planes and the junos. This one can take off at 30 m/s, and climb at 40 degrees up while maintaining a good 60 m/s velocity. Horizontally, top speed it around 200-250 m/s (although I used it more for short hops, never maxed it on the horizontal). Although it's a new design, it resembles my successful basic plane from 1.1.2. To me, junos feel the same as before.

Its mass is only 4.2 tons - how much is your plane? 

Edited by Magzimum

The crew of the Telemachus set a new record of 6 biomes in one mission. By the fourth, the engineers are frankly bored of setting out the same machines and getting the same readings, and all they do is toss paper darts against the back of the pilot's chair while the science team quickly jumps out for a drive-by surface sample.

N4e7JXi.jpg

Despite the initial impressions of relaxed driving, Eeloo manages to spring a couple of surprise craters on the team requiring a few bursts of the main engine to control the descent. Faced with 85km to the final waypoint, Jay Kerman takes the opportunity for a suborbital burn, landing them within just 5km of target. Lyssa seems to be a bad influence on him - but at least his hop only burns 800m/s.

Overall, this small fuel expense probably goes a long way to preserving the team's sanity, because Eeloo really is starting to look the same in all directions. With the final data collected, they prep for take off and return to the Odyssey.