What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Invested 15,000 science points into beefing up aerospike engines just to see what would happen... Now they have 507 isp asl, and 593 vac. The lack of gimballing is minorly annoying, but setting the control surfaces to 150% gives enough authority in-atmosphere, while a pair of reaction wheels in the cargo bay allows for 'good enough' turning in vacuum.

wjDFn3Z.jpg

Deliberately tested with an inefficient design because why not? Still musters 5km/s vac delta-v, which was plenty to retrieve the veteran crew of the Odyssey at the end of their long, long Sarnus expedition. A couple of them gained over 110xp from the trip - shame they were 5-stars already ^^;

The engineering team wonders whether this OP mighty aerospike could deliver a mk2 Eve SSTO... the passenger cabins might be wishful thinking, but with a properly streamlined shape and just two crew... With this thought, the entire department closes their doors and refuses entrance to anyone except the takeaway delivery guy. Mission control shrugs and lets them get on with it.

(1.1.3) Been a few days since I've posted owing to events in RL, including a little sickness. Haven't actually played much KSP these last few days - last night was spent on my desktop save pulling a rescue and re-positioning a satellite over Mün. Still haven't really mopped up from the Kraken dumping all my contracts a couple of days ago. Right now I can't even recall what I did on my laptop save on Tuesday night, if I did anything at all.

Today I begin the "pre-flight" for the download of 1.2, double-checking to see which of the mods I use are ready to go and which ones aren't. I won't download until a significant fraction of them are ready, or if a particularly critical one isn't working. I'm not particularly attached to either of my 1.1.3 saves, so I'm still debating whether I want to continue them or not when the time comes. I am considering adding the outer worlds mod (I don't recall what exactly it's called but it's the one that adds worlds like Sarnus and Hale to the game) to my mod set for 1.2.

29 minutes ago, capi3101 said:

I am considering adding the outer worlds mod (I don't recall what exactly it's called but it's the one that adds worlds like Sarnus and Hale to the game) to my mod set for 1.2.

Outer Planets Mod, best combined with OPM-VO (links in my sig) :)  Also worth considering the Galilean Planet Pack, imho, but they're mutually exclusive. I think both are waiting on Kopernicus at this time though ^^;

Edited by eddiew

That's their base? 

dbqkgEE.png

That's right. They're the ones who keep wrecking my things. 

EsgfmGO.png

What? This motley bunch of Kerbals?

BrWq7R7.png

An old Defect-O-pod rover?

beNest3.png

And this shameless display? 

6LVv9rV.png

I was hoping to face Stealth Rover.  You don't need me for this. Just blast them with the ship. 

*Sigh* Fine. 

FIOw2uN.png

aWELFXu.png

Wait. Who is firing on us? 

UuQITfZ.gif

That Symbol!

rRN8SRS.png

That Foliage! 
jgWSKnv.png

STEALTH ROVER!!

sA2VSeb.png

Fire barrage! Widespread! 

noIDhyl.gif

Stealth Rover? Why are you so small? Why are you so weak? 

I was expecting a legend, but this is pathetic! Your space program is in tatters. Soon, you will be twigs.

You! You have lost!

Wc4IqwW.png

_ _ _ _ _ 

Yeah. So that's what I did in KSP today. 

3 hours ago, RoboRay said:

That natural asteroid capture is pretty neat...  I've never seen that happen!

But yeah, go visit it quickly.  It's just a matter of time before the Mun punts it again.

I may send a ship up on it's second go-around to alter it's orbit so Mun won't eject it. I kind of like the idea of keeping it around :) 

Just been getting a new 1.2 career going (few mods for now mostly stock), 
Holy Crap is hard mode punishing!
I killed Val because i didn't bother to read that USI-LS puts kerbals on strike after 5 days in a command pod; she died because i could eject the booster and expose the heatshield for a lunar return.
Then i tried one of the new G-force contracts, not a good idea, RIP Jeb.

Since then I've been doing kerbin orbit tourist contracts to get some rep and cash.

Just finished a lunar orbit return, but still have no cash to unlock patched conics so it was a bit hit and miss.

good fun, but reentry is so tense!  

Once again, reporting on last nights work because it was so late when I got done...  The assembly of my Jool-5 vessel continues with the delivery of my Laythe lander and the first two of four massive drive units.

Details in this post to my mission log.  As always, questions or comments are welcome.

screenshot101.png

Edited by DerekL1963

19 hours ago, eloquentJane said:

It was not me who did it, that was @lttito (assuming that that letter at the front is an l and not an I; otherwise I may have just linked the wrong person). But I agree, it is rather cool.

@eloquentJane Thanks 2 times:

1º for explaining how this can be done, it saved me to to explain it :P

2º for thinking I done this on purpose. Really, it was by luck, so as soon as I saw it I got the urge to post it (i think its neat).

Edited by lttito

Wednesday, I got a 100 Kerbal lander to Duna (with just 4 of the little greens).

Today I got the supplies half the supplies to them. I overshot my DV budget for landing. So had to ditch the prefab living quarters, the reused cargo shell (would make a nice lean to :P ) but managed to fit the rovers into the existing satellite cargo bays (after launching satellites for resource scanning). Ok, I should have sent the cargo first, but this is KSP so I did it the fun way... oh, and the landing, what a landing!

almost.jpg

Yes, I landed at that angle, and the landing gear I was going to use for fork lifting, worked wonders to absorb the impact... well, along with the bottom fuel tank and heat shield. Who knew they made great crumple zones for landing on when you've 10m/s left to shave off your descent and your engines went on strike 3 seconds ago... :D Oh, and only 1km from the landing site.

Cargo pods 2 and 3 are on the way, so hopefully they will land in 1 piece and I can disassemble them for places to stay. Seems though I put 100% heat shields on all of them when 20 or so % would have done. Might need a fuel transfer in orbit, and leave one up there empty.

[edit]

Cargo transport v3 has enough DV. So I will land it, drop off the cargo and see if it has enough DV to launch back to kerbin without refuel (slim chance :P ). It uses smaller engines and has less TWR, but enough for a landing.

Edited by Technical Ben

Today.....

Just the same has yesterday and the one before that.

Went to Eeloo again.

But now I am done.

I had never been further than Duna....I think....Not with success anyway.

I decided a while back that I was doing the "Low mass Eeloo mission"

Go to Eeloo with more than a lawn chair and come back with less than 50t to start with.

What to say?

I liked my "Unfair-ed Eeloo lander with it's Mach spike"

LO1HwGa.png

Learned a lot about encounters and eventually about gravity braking.NdgNgIm.png

q076nV9.png

Got to plant an under-lighted flag on the outermost planet.

Z4JwU8y.png

Jeb got to use is practice at orbital crew saving by walking part of the way back to the ship.

HXf7Epo.png

45yc5zp.png

PwvAFZv.png

Jeb got to push the ship after the batteries were left on for years with the ship facing the wrong way.

dQ2oANG.png

I got to change orbital planes while doing close encounters of the good kind.

25MaBKc.png

All good.

Now I can put 1.1.3 aside and move to 1.2....I might have to bring a few kerbals to it though....I am fond of them....The rescued ones especially. The co-opted ones too.

Moral question. (I know they are sprites)

I have Kerbals on Duna. 101 of them.

And a few in stations everywhere.....Mun, Minmus, orbital.

-Do I erase the whole career?

-Do I port them all to my new career in 1.2? (Back to the training facility)

-Do I rescue them first?

If you read all the way here.....What would you do? Did?

ME

Edited by Martian Emigrant

DAY 1, PART 2

So Mission control got the idea to test out small, crewed planes. Why these things should exist is beyond my understanding. Either way, the engineers came up with the Moth Mk1, a really tiny plane using just one engine and one 1.25 meter liquid fuel tank. The Moth Mk1 was supposed to be a tiny, low-altitude speed plane used for quick travel to other locations. A small craft size means that direction changing and acceleration should be easier...SHOULD.

pHlmXcd.png

When it looked like Moth Mk1 was ready for testing, Jeb was forced "volunteered" to fly it. I think that selection process freaked him out, because he wasn't smiling during the beginning of the launch. A word of advice to anyone: When Jeb isn't smiling before launch, you're mission is screwed up. Moth Mk1 ended up wobbling along the runway before lifting off. However, it damaged one of its wings, made a VERY close pass over the SPH, made a crash landing and blew apart. Jeb fearfully bravely jumped out of his command pod and rolled for another dozen meters before stopping. As per Mission Control's request, Jeb planted a flag. Now they have to get him back to the Astronaut Complex before he vandalizes everything in site, spray-painting "Jeb Wuz Here" all over the terrain and facilities.

fcH0C5K.png

The SPH engineers realized that their craft almost killed Jeb, so to avoid Kerbal punishment (being deprived of noontime snacks), they made the Moth Mk2. It was almost the same as the Mk1, except with different wheels and fins they believed to make it more stable. Valentina gladly stepped up to test the Mk2 - mostly to rub her success in Jeb's face for once. Val seemed very excited for launch, which Mission Control debated whether or not that was a good sign. It turned out that it was BOTH! Moth Mk2 managed to get into the air without any close passages to any buildings, but ran into a serious issue over water. The plane's engine just wasn't enough to accelerate it past 110 m/s, causing the Mk2 to fall towards the ocean and crash (Val has since been returned to the KSC).

RlmWI8X.png

Now the SPH engineers were sure they would lose their snack privileges for at least a week. They joined together to write an essay to Mission Control (something Kerbals rarely did). The engineers were asking for a mission request: use an old, complicated craft to test out the Secrety Physics-Cheating Box (what we call the Cheat Menu).

TO BE CONTINUED...