What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Just now, Jovus said:

@tater That Soyuz. How'd you do the boosters? I need inclined cones! And how'd you make sure the booster engines were on straight? Whenever I try it, I get a bit of roll.

I just stuck them on. All the gimbals need to be turned way down, though, I think 1.2 is even worse about wobbling with realistic gimbal values (corrects, overcorrects, etc).

1 minute ago, tater said:

I just stuck them on. All the gimbals need to be turned way down, though, I think 1.2 is even worse about wobbling with realistic gimbal values (corrects, overcorrects, etc).

Dumping the gimbal values on my engines might do it. And the booster tops with the inclined cones? Or am I just mis-seeing?

Also, you're in RSS/RO on 1.2?

Just now, Jovus said:

Dumping the gimbal values on my engines might do it. And the booster tops with the inclined cones? Or am I just mis-seeing?

Also, you're in RSS/RO on 1.2?

Not yet, that's on my list of things to do soon, though (SSTU isn't set up for RO, however).

All the parts in those crafts (aside from the landing legs I nicked from Kerbodyne Plus and rescaled, and the medium stock legs for the LEM---oh, and the fins on the Apollo booster) are SSTU. The Soyuz is 18 parts. Apollo is about 30, and the Duna lander is 15 parts.

I haven't posted progress on my Jool-5 in a few days because RL has been busy, and because the flights I have been able to fly have been pretty boring...  Flying my tanker back and forth, loading up at a fuel depot and fueling the mothership for the upcoming mission.  The various vehicles were launched with only oxidizer and monoprop onboard to save weight and simplify on-orbit logistics.  Even so, and even with TAC Fuel Balancer it was tedious as heck to keep track of all the tanks....

The fueling is now finished, and all that's left to do is launch the crew transfer vehicle and the crew, one last fueling mission to fuel the transfer vehicle and we're off to Jool!

I have stranded Valentina so many times now I am considering doing a "Valentina's Revenge" mission. I have a game that is getting too cluttered anyway, so I am thinking about ending it by transferring ALL of my Kerbanauts to the space station, and then precisely deorbit it so that it crashed into the Kerbal Space Center - as Valentina, with her big grin, escapes in a MK-1 command pod.

Would that be evil?

44 minutes ago, Ty Tan Tu said:

I have stranded Valentina so many times now I am considering doing a "Valentina's Revenge" mission. I have a game that is getting too cluttered anyway, so I am thinking about ending it by transferring ALL of my Kerbanauts to the space station, and then precisely deorbit it so that it crashed into the Kerbal Space Center - as Valentina, with her big grin, escapes in a MK-1 command pod.

Would that be evil?

Yes, which is why it should...nay, MUST be done......for Science!! (You monster!!)

I have to say that I too have also had ill luck with Valentina in the past, though generally it was when she was the pilot on tourist missions. If I wanted to ensure some sort of calamity necessitating a rescue mission, I'd send Val as the pilot. Never failed - couldn't say why.

Edited by capi3101

2 hours ago, sal_vager said:

I made a plane.

IB6tLSs.png

I like it.

Image result for batplane 1989

Yesterday I built a retro-Station. No I don't mean retrograde.

Flew to it again today.

Going to it
hS6VHwB.png

Manual rendez-vous and docking. I wanted to show the game to a friend and the !@#$% MechJeb wouldn't work properly.

2Lc0Tfe.png

Rookie Pilot Callock flying some vets.

6bby54T.png

D52x82w.png

Callock "The station looks pristine and undamaged!.

uua1Sow.png

EId0bHC.png

First time in space and showing it.

yY2PkMd.png

Later he repositioned the ship on the alternate docking port.....On is own.

VjscvrS.png

Anyway, Vets or not, what can an engineer and scientist do to help?

SKsb89J.png

No one had ever used that port before....

CRcQoDq.png

I like this station quite a bit. Evokes a lot of what-if and perhaps. Next version will have a science lab...

ME

Edited by Martian Emigrant

And from Karen we circle inwards to Plock, a tidy little planet of sand and ice. Probably. At least, it doesn't seem very edible, and it's certainly cold, so we'll assume it's mostly sand and ice.

86LjV2g.jpg

With the precious (and sandy) rocks collected, Numinor heads back for the Odyssey in orbit, and the crew plots a burn for the next sensible window home. Only 26 years travel time... who's for Monopoly?

(Ed: somewhat disappointed to discover that the biome map for Plock is actually Moho's with a slight recolour... not sure if that's just how it is or whether my game is a little corrupted. Still, fresh textures, and enough delta-v for a hop, so a bit of science collected.)

Edited by eddiew

Made a return trip to Duna using a probe lander I remote-controlled from an orbiter. Still on my no-labs career. I netted over 4000 science from that. It was fun. Here it is starting atmospheric entry on Duna. The heatshield is there primarily for aerodynamics: it also carries the parachutes. The tail stabilises the probe during the aerobraking phase of entry. When it had slowed down enough, I detached the tail, popped the 'chutes, floated to a stop, and detached the "turban" with the heatshield and 'chutes. Then went on to explore Ike a bit before coming home with just the science can and the orbiter with its three crew -- two pilots and a scientist.

Probe RC works great and gave the mission a nice new dimension. Thanks Squad!

UwyTsMY.jpg

3 hours ago, sal_vager said:

Or a Kilrathi fighter?

Hmm...
Cm-dralthi.png

Looks more Batwing than Dralthi, but impressive nonetheless.

(You and I are both showing just how old we are right now, you know...)

Edited by capi3101

2 hours ago, sal_vager said:

I made a plane.

IB6tLSs.png

The hero Kotham needs?

A4JWRWw.png

Or a Kilrathi fighter?

Or just fun.

I don't know what you call the wings that go ahead of where they're attached. It's like the opposite of swept wings. I'll call them attack wings. Attack wings look dope. I've always loved that style.

Ok so earlier I posted about my Mun mishap, and how I was sending a new Mun lander to replace my broken one and rescue Mabeth Kerman. Well, I made a mistake trying to fix my previous mistake. wvF6FDW.jpgI pointed my friggin solar panels directly away from the sun, and left it like that all the way to the edge of the Mun SOI... without hibernation.

I'm now trying to rescue the rescue mission by sending a CEV from Mun Station l to rendezvous with it.kkVGjZm.jpg

Cooperative closest approach markers that didn't disappear if I added more Delta-v would help.LMIuTQF.jpg

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139

49 minutes ago, Kerbonaut257 said:

I don't know what you call the wings that go ahead of where they're attached. It's like the opposite of swept wings. I'll call them attack wings. Attack wings look dope. I've always loved that style.

I believe they are just called "forward swept wings".

55 minutes ago, Kerbonaut257 said:

They're called "Forward-swept wings" :D

Edit: Ninja'd by kraden :)

Edited by Thiagobs