What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

11 minutes ago, Talos said:

As part of my career save, I built a rocket system for my Mun-shot. Due to the lack of space and power to send both the lander and the CM up at the same time, I made two rockets; both can reach the Mun where they dock, exchange crew, land, do things, return to the CM, dock, clear the lander and return to Kerbin. The system can also reach Minmus without any kind of modification.

You are not alone in that mission profile, I assure you.

One gag from a recent attempt to send a lander to Minmus: "Alright, who put the Mun there, and what genius used the autopilot to generate a Minmus transfer trajectory without ever once looking at it!".

Comrade CatastrophicFailure, are there any tickets to Kerberia available?

what i did today was play old versions of ksp BUT what happened yesterday was mechjeb2 tried to kill the crew! (Yes i said yesterday >:D)

1 hour ago, Brownhair2 said:

Now that 1.2 is out, I figured now would be as good a time as any to come back to KSP

Annnddd the KSC is invisible :huh:. Well other than that everything seems to be working.

Fist order of business: Seeing if the Emerald's front landing gear is fixed.

It isn't. But that's okay! Milfred can fix it! And now I feel like an idiot for not realizing it was literally broken sooner.

Emerald_Fixed.png

Second order of business: Seeing how easy it is to take off and land with the new landing gear.

Taking off: Easy

Soontobe_RIP.png

Landing: Hard

Orange_Streak.png

I don't think that had anything to do with the wheels though. Really should've put bigger wings and more control surfaces on this.

hmm i guess the ksc moved somewhere else on kerbin 

More tourist flights......zzzzzzzzzzzz.

In bid to maximise profits the orbital charabanc has been slowly having bits lopped off/rescaled/underfueled. Although attempts to land close to KSC to increase recovery value meant a few close calls.

screenshot0_zps9s8tzumm.png

Trials of a new go kart rover design to replace the Grizzler ran into few issues.

screenshot2_zpsoasp6yki.png

Although referred to by management as the Growler the test crew are already calling it the Kangaroo. Which is a proper Kerbalised name I suppose...

Testing a heavier version of mid-career Munar lander (turned out quite capable of a hop of two)

Since there's enough fuel, let's jump south to that small crater.
Oh, and wasn't there an anomaly? (although last time I checked for it, couldn't find it there)
And how does that anomaly detection with Kerbnet work? Let's try it out

No, nothing on the radar. Looks like it doesn't want to work.
Maybe let's just land in the middle and look around...

Hey, does that boulder below us has a bit too rectangular shadow?!

d842e9c8a821.png

Went sightseeing. What else did you expect from a crew of a scientist and two tourists?

c50539ff36e7.png

My Duna rescue mission got off to a flying start, with the probe core guiding the main craft up to my Beyond Minmus Space Station to refuel and collect the new pilot Sara Kerman (I needed a pilot as I would be out of link with the KSC due to the way Duna and Kerbin are aligned). I then undocked, manuvoured out of the way of the BMSS and began the long burn to Duna with the ion/plasma engines. I set an alarm for the SoI change and I've deployed one of my Life Support probes from my Ike surface base into orbit using my two stage launch vehicle and its currently sitting in a high Duna orbit, waiting for the right moment to land. I estimated that I'd need to land it within a 1km of the crash site for it to actually be usable, as it has very limited RCS fuel and fixed landing gear. Its effectively a small trailer filled with goodies. It has a basic water reclaimer, a small air purifier, and of course rations of food and water. I plan to land it with 15m of the crash site, but that might be a bit of a stretch. I've got a KAS fuel hose that connect the trailer to the cockpit, so I'm all set.

All I need to do is land the damn thing.

I've landed my first rover EVER on another body! And drove it around for some 45 minutes because of how fun it is. This was just about my favorite mission ever.

I've sent probes to Duna and Eve in a previous career game which was as far as I got in KSP, but for some reason this mission had it all for me, and next to no problems, pretty much everything worked straight off the bat.

The lowest stage of the three SRBs brought me just to over 70km altitude.

XmV4Rpi.png

Next stage got me 95% of the way to a stable orbit

BIF7pqQ.png

Dropping the SRB and fairings, I burned to a Mun intercept.

viw5BwK.png

MWWqTdX.png

Reaching the Mun, I got the craft into a 600km orbit that I decided would be good for coverage. I then decoupled the rover/lander from the transfer stage which also doubles as a relay satellite.

zan5D7p.png

I planned to land near the edge of the East Crater. Completely by accident, I noticed an arch and slightly corrected my burn to land around 2km from it.

qa5IEw2.png

ZssXSIS.png

I got the landing craft an almost-hover and released the rover so it lands on its wheels. It landed on a pretty steep slope. The lander flew away and crashed nearby.

LRen2qN.png

After checking that the rover was fully operational and linked up, I drove it up the very steep slope of the small crater it landed in, just on the rim of the East Crater. After climbing out of this small crater, I drove it along the ridge line towards the arch, the beautiful view over the vast East Crater following me all the way. After reaching the arch, I turned into the East Crater itself and a lengthy descent ensured. I finally stopped once I reached the bottom of a very deep smaller crater, which is within the East Crater and much deeper than its own surface.

zQxMWKf.png

WulFbj8.png

On the way I collected pressure and temp science from three biomes: Mun Highlands, Midlands and East Crater and transmitted it for 50% of the science . My plan is for my following manned mission to land near the rover and recover the remaining 50% science data.

In other news, I also completed my first orbital rendezvous and docking in this career game, and it's also the first time that I landed two docked pods :)

B6zQ74l.png

FHafzAh.png

Great KSP day.

Edited by ROXunreal

More screenshottery! Here's the Kraden unmanned, upside down in Low Otho Orbit. This giant is roughly equidistant to Jool.

nT4CUQY.jpg

And a random pilot taking a spacewalk near Gauss which is further out than Eeloo. At first I was mellow about this particular one. The purple moons well one is actually brown but for me they appear the same colors at times appeared so I made efforts to frame them. :) .......But then Loki's like "Photobomb!" and also showed up.

And now I shall reveal another surprise in GPP. Planets and regions.... Have their own flags. This ship is wearing Gauss' flag. :)

leSWB0t.jpg

Spoiler

There's a what...around Thalia? ....A what????

0hBEb7W.jpg

Edited by JadeOfMaar

So... I've been playing with VTOLs a lot recently. Here are two:

First one, the SpaveM VtolBus. 3 kerbals to the island and back - with no wings, just a single fighter jet engine and a whole lot of intakes. The secret to landing (in one piece) when your main source of vertical lift is something that requires spool up is... Vernors! I knew those parts had a reason for being! I use them to bolster vertical thrust when landing - that way I keep the main engine at a single throttle setting and use the Vernors to trim.

8i9yAAb.png

Second is its predecessor - though without the Vernors, landing is a lot more hairy. Those parachutes can be used to slow down, but so far I tend to blow up a landing leg every time I attempt to touch down. :P

W1frlOx.png

So earlier this week, I started a new 100% stock game. The rules are simple. It seems that visiting every planet in 1.1 was to easy so I've decided to overcomplicate things. Instead of just going to the Mun, I need to have a big Mun tug to carry payloads from LKO to Munar orbit and back. I calculated it could do the round trip with a 34 ton payload and have 200 m/s left over. However it is going to refuel at the Kerbin station before going back out. It would also increase the payload capacity if I added a Munar station. Yes you know where my inspiration is coming from. :P (A certain streamer perhaps?)

Anyways today I used a Proton replica to carry two dry orange tanks to the Kerbin station. Previously I used a Delta IV look-alike.

Here are some pics from various Proton launches and of the station as it is now.

2hroJzk.png

8p2CFma.png

1st stage.

4SgpFVW.png

Second stage,

p63i3PH.png

3rd Stage. The fourth was never used. The whole rocket has 8883 m/s in total so it doesn't need the fourth stage.

K3LDKgb.png

Can get some nice camera shots with the new "aim camera" feature.

ID9PjFa.png

Station as it is now. You can notice the proton still attached to some of them. I plan to keep it that way for a while too.

But that is it for now.

Fire

Mathematically speaking, pitching way over as soon as the gear clears the ground is an entirely reasonable thing to do when ascending from the surface of an airless moon.  Still, it nearly gives me a heart attack every time.

screenshot227.png

And, my Jool-5 progress log has been updated with a visit to Vall!  Three moons down, two to go.

In my Sandbox save, (which I use mostly to make planes, dropships, VTOLs, boats, etc.), I made a Supersonic Jet originally named the Concordé Lite. After some testing, I found that it can comfortably out run a AIM-9 Sidewinder air to air missiles, and can cruise at 1476m/s, where I have to switch off SAS due to the fact that it tries to cancel out minor occelation that you can't even see and instead makes the craft wobble even more. I managed to get to the island airbase in just over a minute. I'm planning on making a passenger version and a science one. I also get the feeling that if I add Rapier on the back I might get it to orbit...:D

1 hour ago, ROXunreal said:

I've landed my first rover EVER on another body! And drove it around for some 45 minutes because of how fun it is. This was just about my favorite mission ever.

Great KSP day.

Congratulations! I landed my first rover on the Mün about 2 months ago, and it only lasted a week. LOL.

:)

Oh, what did I do? I did another Mun landing, because I can. 

1960's something Mün laning

(Awesome effect, right?) :D

Edited by Lo Var Lachland

1 hour ago, ROXunreal said:

Get the Ruggedized wheels ASAP, equip the rover with a reaction wheel, suspension high enough that a drop at 30m/s won't tear anything off the bottom, and try it then. The ruggedized wheels are where the fun is!

8 minutes ago, Lo Var Lachland said:
8 minutes ago, Lo Var Lachland said:
Spoiler

UGH. I DONT KNOW HOW TO GET RID OF THESE THINGS. HALP!;.; Its not letting me delete them

Edited by AccidentsHappen

I had a really good Rover that was collecting data from the Mün's poles. It was solar powered, as I didn't have RTGs yet, and was making its way around the mountains of the North Pole. Anyways, I was driving it up a hill to get a view of where to go next, and I when I reached the summit, I decide to collect some data. As I was doing this, I didn't realise that the wheels were slipping due to lack of traction, and to my horror my little Rover began Rolling down the hill, even though I had the brakes on. I wrangled with the controls and managed to keep it straight going down a roughly 60° mountain! I Lost control and two of my wheels popped. I hit the bottom doing 30m/s and miraculously was unharmed other than the wheels. It save power, I put only two wheels motors on. Thing is, I was stuck in a valley, and getting out was impossible. I then realise that Kerbols rays didn't pass onto the valley. So I spent the next 90 minutes (sped up) watching my power slowly drain. My last photo I took with the RoverCam was the view of the starry night sky from the bottom of the valley...

I created some more vehicles for my new exploration infrastructure. I've vastly improved upon aesthetics compared to some of my older designs. I finalized designs for the Raven I, II, and IV for each number of core engines, although since there are a lot of subassemblies already for these rockets I will simply add the optional SRBs whenever needed. I also finished designs for the R1, R2, R3 and R4 upper stages, and I'm particularly pleased with how the R3 and R4 turned out (the appearances of both were partially inspired by @Raptor9's Titan 2P upper stage, and I feel like I should give credit for that). All Raven-series upper stages can function autonomously, and have a basic RCS which can assist with docking payloads.

Below: the R4 upper stage (the R3 looks similar, but the main fuel tank is smaller and there are only 3 Kiwi engines).

YsBJ4Hd.jpg

The subassembly is saved with the adapter, which doubles as a fuel tank extension for the Raven launch vehicle.

FfzNB9q.jpg

Below is an example of a Raven IV 724 rocket (the first stage engines are 6 Kiwis and a Moa from SpaceY). The maximum payload of the Raven IV 724 is about 36 tonnes. The reason the SRBs are aligned in the way they are is because of the potential SRB configurations for the Raven IV, many of which are asymmetrical.

ibvgOfz.jpg

To finish the Raven series of vehicles, I still need to assemble the Raven V heavy lift vehicle, and design the two variants of the R5 upper stage. One of these variants is designed as a standard upper stage, whilst the other is designed to be repurposed as the propulsion module of an interplanetary transport, and as such uses more efficient engines at the cost of thrust.

Edited by eloquentJane

Hah! MechJeb 1, Duna 0!

To my unending astonishment, and despite the reddish planet's (and @Galileo's :wink:) best efforts, my rover truck successfully navigated just shy of 250km across Duna's surface, from the equator to the frost line, with out falling over, flipping out, or running into any rocks. All while driving in a perfectly straight line under MJ's rover autopilot control. Left it running while I moved some stuff to the new house. Was expecting to come back to a smoldering heap of parts, instead she was merrily chugging along and only 7km from the destination. Details to follow, but I have now acquired both parts (and one Kerbal) I need to return to Kerbin!

7u2ea4s.png

*record scratch*

Er, wait a minute...

I was expecting a Mk3 shuttle cockpit, not a science lab! This may complicate things...

7 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Hah! MechJeb 1, Duna 0!

To my unending astonishment, and despite the reddish planet's (and @Galileo's :wink:) best efforts, my rover truck successfully navigated just shy of 250km across Duna's surface, from the equator to the frost line, with out falling over, flipping out, or running into any rocks. All while driving in a perfectly straight line under MJ's rover autopilot control. Left it running while I moved some stuff to the new house. Was expecting to come back to a smoldering heap of parts, instead she was merrily chugging along and only 7km from the destination. Details to follow, but I have now acquired both parts (and one Kerbal) I need to return to Kerbin!

7u2ea4s.png

*record scratch*

Er, wait a minute...

I was expecting a Mk3 shuttle cockpit, not a science lab! This may complicate things...

0_o what the heck? Have you landed upside down or something? Why is the ground white?

Lol :P

EDIT:

Wait a sec, you're at the poles? Oh. Okay. *Whoops!*

Edited by Lo Var Lachland

2 minutes ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

0_o what the heck? Have you landed upside down or something? Why is the ground white?

Lol :P

The grounds White cause he's at (one of) the poles:wink:

After many many months of no KSP I started a new game and added a few mods. I never have enough fuel once I reach space so I launched a fuel depot into orbit. 37 Orange tanks in one launch, lifted by 259 SRBs. If I had actually remembered to gravity turn my 7.7 million ton candle on the way up, I might not have wasted 2/3rd of my fuel getting an eccentric orbit....Still that's over 46k of fuel that that can refuel more maneuverable craft.... next I'll send up some docking ports on grabbers, cause I forget the docking ports.... Oh and solar panels....  and probably other things I forgot while I was insane with the plan to get as much fuel storage up as possible in one launch...

lriSfhDky.png

lrigCBEcC.png

13 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Hah! MechJeb 1, Duna 0!

*record scratch*

Er, wait a minute...

you may have survived this time, but mark my words, i will destroy your rovers....