What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

More progress on my modded save. Created a probe to intercept an asteroid that was caught in Kerbin's SOI. Armed with a camera and some other scientific goodies, it made contact and I managed to get close to 150 science for my trouble. Because I had to actually collect the photographs to get the maximum amount of science. The probe's final burn was to tighten its orbit around Kerbin and have one of my Prometheus ships rendevous with it.

d5561317b0.png

699650ba86.png

a4c67ff9a9.png

14b452ddb1.png

10 minutes ago, Evenus said:

Tried to make a space station but ended up with a 117km Apoapsis and a 9km Periapsis! :blush:

I did that my first time I launched something really big into orbit. I didn't have enough fuel to complete my circularization burn and ended up with a 100x50 km orbit. I had to revert to VAB and add more fuel to complete the orbit.

3 minutes ago, Talos said:

I did that my first time I launched something really big into orbit. I didn't have enough fuel to complete my circularization burn and ended up with a 100x50 km orbit. I had to revert to VAB and add more fuel to complete the orbit.

I burned too late and ended up falling through the atmosphere. I'm just like a Kerbal, forgetting to add parachutes (even though you don;t think they're necesary!).

I revamped my warp-drive tugboat for 1.2.1.  It's intended to haul large colony infrastructure things and crew to the Outer Planets.  Besides @RoverDude's warp drive, it's got @Angel-125's DSEV engines and the whole mess is tossed into orbit with @NecroBones' biggest boosters :).

Exploitationator Launch

Exploitationator Up

Today my new KSP team its ready for the new projects that will come. Family portrait ready to start the 6th year of KSC/RES Space Program.

kR4iw3l.png

Hope to do some good stuff and new revelations of the space.

You can see all my WIP in my forum post here (sorry im spanish so my projects are in my language) i hope you like it!

Edited by MikeZDB

6 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Mk3 Stockalike Expansion has you covered. It adds Big S wing segments.

Thanks! This was exactly what I was looking for :D

Unfortunately, they seem very prone to snapping off the Mk IV parts, despite seemingly working fine on other parts :huh:

Well in that case, let's use other parts!

Spaceplane.png

Unfortunately I don't really know what to do with this. It doesn't have any cargo space. It has a Hades nuclear rocket, but for some reason KER won't show me the delta-v, so for all I know I might have a single cm/s delta-v. I don't even have a name for it yet. I'd imagine it has pretty high delta-v margins however. I could probably replace some of the fuel with mining equipment, and get that spaceplane-that-can-land-vertically-on-bodies-without-atmospheres that I've always wanted.

In the meantime, the Amber has returned home. I'm thinking I might send it with the Horizon to Laythe. Having two MTUs traveling together seems cool, even if they would be too far apart to see each other.

Edited by Brownhair2

9 hours ago, Clipperride said:

@CatastrophicFailure Very nice achievement.  Gotta love those "because it's there" missions :)

Mun Rover Lab - I fear my own Munar Treck may be close to the end.  The doomed return vessel is now less than 40km away, but there are some pretty big craters in the way.  I'm going to end when i) the distance of the detour needed to advance is longer than the remaining distance to the lander and ii) There's still a decent landing spot for the replacement return vessel.  

Do you have a lot of RCS? I jumped over craters to get to my MAV once.

Molniya 1-1 (The first Molniya probe. After the successful test before, the program was ready to go. It was launched by a Molniya A but lost energy during launch.): Failure

Molniya 1-2 (A retry of Molniya 1-1. The payload fairing failed to open so it lost energy during the orbital perfection phase.): Failure

Minmus 7 (The second test of the lander. During TMI, the third stage of the Duna B ran out of fuel. The CSM had to detach, dock with the lander, and continue the burn by itself. Once in orbit of the Mun, the unmanned lander detached and landed. The fuel was already running low after landing. It immediately lifted back off the surface but failed to achieve orbit. The crew had to return to Kerbin with a retry on their hands in the future. A revamp of the Minmus Duna B was in order.): Failure

Kirdan, Peggy, Sura, Loming, Mosei, and Phildon Kerman were upgraded to Kerbalnaut status.

S-3 F.1 (After the delay in the S-planes, another one was in order. Camly Kerman took off in the spaceplane but stalled immediately after liftoff and crashed.): Failure

Next flight: Molniya 1-3 (A retry of the Molniya 1-1)

Molniya 1-1 liftoff

b5i09tu.png

The largest javelin ever

GDVDllz.png

Minmus 7 orbital insertion

AsEvzW2.png

L-1 landing on the surface

GwnRKXO.png

About 25% fuel left

UPSoA4q.png

CM and SM reentry

sPZod7r.png

Base progresses. This being a weekday, and me loading nearly an hour of work wasted by some part deciding to play pinball with my solar panels, only about half a day - but I got the garage installed. Damn heavy thing, plus autostrut fighting against ramps pushing at the ground misaligned some parts of the base and made me nearly rebuild the garage from scratch.

TLd0UqX.png

Also got lab, greenhouse and a bigger hab online.

oDP2bRy.png
CREMoKw.png

47 minutes ago, eloquentJane said:

@Sharpy is that a science experiment from the planetary base greenhouse? I never knew that was there before; I always assumed it was just for life support/aesthetics.

Never knew about it too, but the base reached a point when I felt confident to try to let my plants grow sturdy... and that's what happened :)

3 hours ago, AccidentsHappen said:

Do you have a lot of RCS? I jumped over craters to get to my MAV once.

RCS? Nope! Just the wheels and SAS of the Cupola I'm afraid.  Just completed a terrifying descent down the dark side of a steep wall.  I continue to be impressed with the wheels in 1.2.

1 hour ago, RoboRay said:

Val takes Auk II to the first orbit of 6.4x-scale Kerbin...

KhIj2yE.png

WDxYOVU.png

First off: congrats, 6.4x Kerbin is quite the adjustment, but has its rewards for how much it feels like an achievement to go places.

Second, are those procedural tanks, and if so, where did you get the textures?

On my own end: more Eve launches, built a new vehicle to capture an E-class asteroid into Munar orbit (relying heavily on Karbonite ISRU), and seriously wishing some of my favorite mods would update to 1.2.1 so I can start a new, harder career save with all the 1.2.1 shinies.

10 minutes ago, Starman4308 said:

First off: congrats, 6.4x Kerbin is quite the adjustment, but has its rewards for how much it feels like an achievement to go places.

Second, are those procedural tanks, and if so, where did you get the textures?

Thanks!  I've spent a few days testing and tweaking mods with KScale64 for a super-sized game and think I've got it all sorted out (other than some several-second-long freezes during atmospheric flight that I haven't figured out the cause of).  7500 m/sec to reach orbit does make the design process a little more challenging.  :)

Those are procedural tanks, but it's a bunch of short ones in stacks since I can't make long ones yet.  So, I did color bands from the different textures.  The boosters are using the Soyuz Green, the Plain White and GreySide textures, while the core stack is using the GreySide, German and Plain White textures.

Edited by RoboRay

11 minutes ago, RoboRay said:

Thanks!  I've spent a few days testing and tweaking mods with KScale64 for a super-sized game and think I've got it all sorted out (other than some several-second-long freezes during atmospheric flight that I haven't figured out the cause of).

Those are procedural tanks, but it's a bunch of short ones in stacks since I can't make long ones yet.  So, I did color bands from the different textures.  The boosters are using the Soyuz Green, the Plain White and GreySide textures, while the core stack is using the GreySide, German and Plain White textures.

Ah.

You're aware there's a config file on the KScale64 GitHub repo that multiplies the procedural tank limits? By default, the procedural tank limits closely follow stock tank sizes... which is rather limiting since stock tank sizes are balanced around WonderFuel(TM) with its amazing 5 kg/L density, and an almost toy-scale planet.

Also, if you're using RealFuels, do note that service module-type tanks are actually better insulators than cryogenic, they just mass a lot per ton of contained propellant. There's the Heat Pump mod to keep cryo tanks chilled, which helps a lot with nuclear rocket-based missions.

EDIT: I also like to configure the diameter small step to be 0.125, so I can line up more neatly with stock part sizes (particularly 0.625m parts).

Edited by Starman4308

9 minutes ago, Starman4308 said:

Ah.

You're aware there's a config file on the KScale64 GitHub repo that multiplies the procedural tank limits? By default, the procedural tank limits closely follow stock tank sizes... which is rather limiting since stock tank sizes are balanced around WonderFuel(TM) with its amazing 5 kg/L density, and an almost toy-scale planet.

Also, if you're using RealFuels, do note that service module-type tanks are actually better insulators than cryogenic, they just mass a lot per ton of contained propellant. There's the Heat Pump mod to keep cryo tanks chilled, which helps a lot with nuclear rocket-based missions.

Ah, I had not found that config file.  Thank you!

For my initial foray into 6.4x, I'm using stock fuel and engines but with SMURFF to get more realistic mass fractions.  I'm hoping that by the time I can master a 6.4x sized stock system with Outer Planets Mod included that RSS/RO will look appealing and I'll go full-on realism.

Edited by RoboRay

Alris Kerbin accidentally was on EVA when the mothership broke orbit from Mun. She had to fly like super-girl and cover a 62km gap to meet up with the ship, but she made it with 0.15 left in the jet pack. Not quite as dramatic as the final scene from "The Martian", but a pretty exciting 30min.

After years of waiting (in-game years that is), the stars (or planets rather) have aligned! The Sundiver's fairly eccentric orbit has aligned with the return burn, which has brought the delta-v down just enough for a return trip! Yay!

Leaving_Arin.png

That being said, I think it's safe to say that I'm retiring the Sundiver. The delta-v margins were way too slim. As it is I'm going to have to send a rescue ship or something; they just barely have enough delta-v to get into orbit around Sonnah.

Meanwhile, the Amber is refueled. All I need to do is attach two Waders and it will be ready to accompany the Horizon to Laythe.

I'm also thinking of visiting Jool, which means I need to make a lander, since the only moon with an atmosphere is Duna, which I'm not planning on visiting.

Edited by Brownhair2

So here's the pics I promised from the last page showing the differences between the stock OPT Kannam II SSTO and my modified OPT Kannam IIB SSTO.

First up - the original that's included with the OPT mod:

0pVKAh3.jpg

Next is the modified version:

E33s0PM.jpg

As mentioned before, I added an extra J tank, canards, an extra pair of airbrakes (after moving the existing two pairs to above and below the wings - the third (new) pair went to a spot between where the original pair was located), an extra reaction wheel/RCS block between the cockpit and new J tank, a pair of solar panels (because I hate never having them when I need them), red and green nav lights on the wingtips, vertical stab tips, and at the forward edge of the wing root, and finally, spotlights above the crew hatch, just behind the cockpit above and below, and a pair above and below at the aft end.

Had another successful flight about an hour ago.  Still somehow managed to get a night landing (I REALLY need to learn when to deorbit with spaceplanes - I know when with capsules, but with so much more area, spaceplanes don't stay in the hot zone quite as long), but this time, I remembered the landing lights.  I think I'm going to remove the extra reaction wheel/RCS block, though, to get a few more m/s DV out of her, not that I was lacking for fuel. 

Going to practice a bit more with this and other mod-included spaceplanes, so I can get a better feel for how they work, before I move on to building my own.