What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Well they made it.

It took me something....Like....10.....Errrr....simulations.

But they made it on the surface of Tylo.

6Owu0eO.png

pDe4CKF.png

Q6T3gEQ.png

The ship was landed on an incline and was drifting away (Max 0.4m/s). All the Kerbals left the ladder on ~~the same heading. But they got to refuel. And leave.
5a26XaA.png

Next they will be going to Vall. Get some Go-Home fuel. Vall should be a piece of cake after Tylo....That sounds like "Famous last words".
....Maybe I should go back to Pol....Pol was my first stop after entering the Joolien system.
....There are no rules against that....:).

ME
Edited by Martian Emigrant

Yesterday, I messed around and made a turboprop-powered missile carrier absolutely not intentionally modelled after a certain ursidaenly-named strategic bomber:

Ofdrfaz.png

Spoiler

It worked... well, actually. Extremely fast and with an endurance at altitude of nearly two game-days. So if it works well now, it could always use...

MOAR POAWER!

iY9Mghh.png

So I added a couple more engines. Now it's not just fast, it's fast!, and extremely maneuverable for its 75-tonne mass.

Climbs like a rocket, go figure...

yBUc3Xf.png

And then, well, this happened...

4Tf0T8m.png

Explosions followed.

But, bits falling off aside, it was working so well I decided to send it off on a round-the-world circumnavigation.

dAqdMQ9.png

Note to self: MOAR lights...

Cruised along halfway around Kerbin, sipping fuel and still making 235m/s at 10,000 meters. That's about when I got impatient and dumped the missile...

mn53vap.png

That actually went better than it looked...

Dropped it down to 6,000 meters, now making 250m/s. And quickly discovered that, thanks to @Galileo, those mountains along the south rim of the big coastal crater go quite a bit past 6000 meters...

DnJKsYk.png

In other news, passing by here the crew of three found they had the strangest sense of deja vu... only it seemed like they remembered the scenery being much closer, hmm....

Sunrise, sunset...

WyDP5nY.png

Passing near Kermingham on east coast of Kerfrica. KSC and the successful completion of the journey lies just on the other side of the mountains.

Kl5g2Oa.png

Which are also quite a big higher than I thought. Thanks, @Galileo, thanks alot.

SPcLsTX.png

Everybody hold on and say *hurk!*

zfU8GA6.png

Best speed to KSC, captain! It's getting a bit... pungent in here.

Oh, and I totally meant to go sailing past it cuz slowing this thing down is rather harder than speeding it up...

pRUaWfG.png

So after turning around and shutting down a couple of engines, the crew makes a mostly-non-eventful landing, having successfully circumnavigated the globe without even burning half their fuel!

GPkObA8.png

And then, this happened...

wSh2GQ2.png

"...I told you we should have put it on eco mode!"

So the next morning, once the tide went out again, I figured it was time to go for broke and run this baby dry!

0n27Bsy.png

Full fuel, no cargo, and my entire staff of Kerbals! Even had to hire a half dozen new ones to fill it out. Nothing could possibly go wrong, right?

a0TvpE6.png

Why a definitely full module is still showing empty seats, I have no idea...

Poor Fredfurt here is wishing he'd ponied up the extra cash to fly Coach instead of Steerage...

di8XYAg.png

Sticking to 10,000 meters for the whole trip, this time. Passing those same crater mountains with a bit more margin...

mnm2mEr.png

Erm... some of those peaks definitely look like they're still above the plane...

cWmrlLE.png

Can't beat the Scatterer scenery... :cool:

45rW5nu.png

zU8ujWK.png

Full Mün peeking thru the clouds over the Great Desert...

EDQjq38.png

Lapping KSC not once but twice, on the same flight, now!

BTVbQw4.png

Nearly 12 hours of flight time, two and a half times around the world and the engines finally decide to call it quits. The landing was relatively smooth, considering that there rock nearly did me in right at the end.

T068T0B.png

Fortunately, devoid of fuel the plane is quite bouncy. :D

So... um... anybody know the number for AAA?

(1.1.3, FAR to go) I had a pretty busy day overall yesterday.

Kicked off my day by dispatching an Auk III medium tanker to the Kerbinport 7 space station, where the Superfortress 7 passenger ferry Strange Cargo was docked. Rendezvous of plane to station was successful and Strange Cargo was refueled for a trip to Minmus and departed shortly thereafter, with Jeb at the helm and eight passengers. Strange Cargo will arrive at Minmus in about sixteen days. Since it still has payload fuel available, I went ahead and left the Auk at Kerbinport for the time being. Kicking myself for not giving Kerbinport any capacity to store fuel on its own...

Afterwards, I launched a brand new Spamcan 7a lander towards Minmus; maneuver planning went very well on that one and it should arrive in thirteen days. The hope is that the 'can will have sufficient fuel to pull everybody off of the surface of Minmus and still have enough gas to go down with four tourists that have extant contracts. The two launches left me a little strapped for cash, so I did contracts for orbital Kerbin and Minmus science for a quick buck and picked up a Mün outpost and junk hauling contract - I quickly loaded a Bill Clinton 7 orbital grabber probe for the junk contract and got a rendezvous with what turned out to be a Thud engine before I had circularized, and then I had a very successful de-orbit, landing the probe with junk intact within eighty klicks of KSC. The replacement was a lucrative contract to mine 600 units of fresh ore from Mün; I dumped out what I had saved aboard the Piper Alpha 7 refinery on Mün and got to drilling, meeting the required quota with just two hours of drilling time. The money raised gave me sufficient funding to launch a Hellhound 7 rover to Mün. With contracts to collect surface samples within the vicinities of the Wildcat 7 drilling outpost and Piper Alpha (which are parked 700 meters away from one another), I landed the Hellhound in the general vicinity of my mining operation, coming down about four klicks from Wildcat 7. The rover made its way there without issues:

jeOvvrs.png
Hellhound 7 rover arriving at the Wildcat 7 drilling outpost.

Since they'd been parked on Mün without sufficient fuel to go home for close to sixty days, I decided to let pilot Valcy and engineer Korbas pile out of Wildcat 7 to start work on the surface reading contracts. Roving around on Mün is a pain, all the more so due to the fact that the area around Piper Alpha is pretty hilly. Naturally the stopping spots were all on some pretty significant grade, reaching 39 degrees at one point. Had several instances of Valcy getting up to take the surface reading then spending several minutes trying to maneuver her back to the rover while they both proceeded to slide around; kept on having visions of her puffing out of existance in a cloud of smoke, which thankfully hasn't happened (yet). I haven't finished roving and she's just about out of jetpack fuel at this point, so I'll be finishing up the contracts using Korbas to take the readings as likely as not. I am pleased with how the Hound has held up, though - she hasn't popped a tire yet, despite catching some serious air (vacuum?) at least once. I do wish that I'd packed a KIS screwdriver aboard Wildcat so I could convert the Hellhound into a light ore hauler when I'm done with it. Maybe for the future - who knows.

After the launch of the Hound I was once again pretty badly strapped for cash. I had a contract to put a probe in an equatorial orbit of Kerbin but insufficient funding to launch an Auk IV probe carrier spaceplane, so I did it the old-fashioned way with the launch of Beep-Beep 7l. The craft was finally put into the position specified by the contract and I picked up another junk hauling contract, which I may turn my attention to today. Meanwhile, the Bleepity-Bleep 7c probe, the Hojo Beta outpost and Minmusport 7 space stations all finally arrived in Minmus's SOI. Minmusport was put in a twelve-kilometer equatorial orbit and the passenger ferry Next Objective, which had arrived six days prior, made a successful rendezvous and docking with the station. Some passengers were exchanged between ship and station, mainly leaving tourists bound for the surface aboard the station and loading the ferry with Kerbin-bound folks. I'm awaiting the arrival of Strange Cargo and the Spamcan at this point before any thought of returning these passengers to Kerbin will take place. Hojo Beta was parked on the Flats approximately seven kilometers from the hill that Hojo Alpha has been sliding down the entire time it's been on the surface; Edner and Ziggy both jetpacked over successfully and the earlier outpost has been terminated. Unlike Hojo Alpha, Hojo Beta has sufficient fuel aboard to return to orbit of Minmus, and since I have an extant contract to retrieve Ziggy, I have yet to decide whether I'll just launch the outpost back into space or send down the 'can when it gets there to retrieve them. It'd be nice to round that particular contract out. I'm still working on getting Bleepity-Bleep 7c into position, but I imagine I'll get that taken care of when I get an opportunity later today.

So yeah, busy day.

Totally doing a fresh install of ksp for a fresh career playthrough with:

KIS

KAS

outer planets

community tech tree

Mk IV/ OPT (if i can figure out how to get all the parts to show up, seems I'm missing some OPT J parts)

MkII expansion

RPM

EVE + Sci High

KAC

MRS

Possibly near future tech

and all the associated mods that go with the above list. 

Should be an excellent playthrough as outer planets also includes Custom barn Kit and from what I gathered last night, changes the science values for at least Kerbin SOI to have a multiplier of only 1

Not much last night.

The Klaw Retriever 2 tech demo was a success.  Wrangled and returned a spent first stage that made it to a highly inclined Kerbin orbit with enough fuel for re-entry, but insufficient battery to make the burn.  Being approximately five empty FLT-400s and fins and a swivel, that first stage was incredibly light and difficult to grab at the CoM.  Initial Klaw de-orbit burns were extremely awkward, because the spent stage engine decided to ignite at the same time as the Klaw engine.  Re-establishing attitude control and re-orienting to a CoM grab used all of the Klaw's monoprop, but reaction wheels were sufficient to allow a jerky but "stable enough" burn.  The Tracking Station responded by immediately terminating all debris in Kerbin and Mun orbit.

Continued testing for my Mun Surface Scrap Return mission at the launchpad and runway with gravity hacked to 17% to simulate Munar conditions.  Several variants of Klaw Rover proved uncontrollable due to an excess of reaction wheels and improper orientation of the klaw and probe core.  The most successful variant removed rover wheels in favor of a RCS only approach.  This allowed very user-friendly airplane-like control in a very compact and lightweight package.  It also brought up the possibility of using a lightly modified Klaw Retriever 2 for Munar surface missions.  What could go wrong?  Just toss some landing legs at it...

I DID IT! I FINALLY DID IT! A SUCESSFULL SHUTTLE DESIGN!!! 

uuuuh *coughs* excuse my unprofessionality ^^

so today i tested mi desgin for an orbital MK3 shuttle in order to get large amount of crew into orbit to and transfer them onto colony ships

the design is called "Buran" but launches more or less like the historic dyna soar was ment to 

Blastoff! fingers crossed...

C35A6583AD3C8700AE07FB9B6F71042EEA4F8320

150x150 orbit is established, booster core is seperated

E4B199A8AD3C0DC3DC1FCA40363612B90BCCEEC2

Docking with an mun transport as target vehicle

B216F573A4FF531E43D182FC9BFFF766E0C33702

Time for prayers and flight emergency bags, deorbit and reentry

761F4497142DACF6C826191D9E7C7AB1A4168BD2

touchdown in kerbins deserts at about 50m/s (yeah i have some trouble with runways.... but jeb and val seem to like it)

13CE1DCCC23253158F8BA28283FE1CEAB4B06B50

85F607C18C75AEF5B9284BDB5EA1BB0306229483

note for upgrade, attach ladders....

Edited by Halfdan

@Halfdan that shuttle design looks pretty nice. I do think you have a bit too much monopropellant though, unless you're using it to keep center of mass forward for the return or you're extremely bad at docking. Also, you should probably use a 3.75m fairing as the interstage between the launch vehicle and that Poodle engine; you'd be amazed by how much delta-v you're losing to drag with the current configuration (I would guess that a pair of those boosters is probably completely unnecessary if you use an interstage fairing instead of the Poodle engine shroud). In any case though, it's quite a good design, especially for a first shuttle attempt.

that are fair points, i will try that with the fairing

yeah i used a bit much monopropellant but its really mostly for balancing

i thought the four boosters would assist with stability during ascent, the main booster is propelled by 9 vector engines, wich gives it a pretty good punch i believe, but more deltaV is allways nice to have, so i will try to optimize it

Right, after this I'm going to play seriously again....

With KJR:

7BuYLhX.png

Something exploded, not sure what.

Without KJR, prior to entry interface....

UASh9EA.png

Ummmm..... Thats not good.....Maybe Timewarp will help?????

mA0TCdA.png

Nope. Not sure exactly what exploded, I'm going to do a quick approximation and say, about 10% of the craft.

:)

Edited by 1101

I've been playing through my first Career Mode game (I've never got further than landing on the Mun in Career Mode before) for a week or so and have reached-

Year 1 - Day 260.  Transfer Window to Duna.

I had hoped to have more time to test my Duna bound vessels, but a satellite contract around Minmus ate up a load of time when I was really paying full attention!  Despite that oversight, there are now four ships on their way to a Duna encounter.  Rather than sending four different craft, the lack of time led to a change of plans, with two of each of the two tested ships each launched 90 minutes apart.

The first two are each carrying 4 communication satellites a piece to be placed around Duna and Ike.  The next two Interplanetary craft have a small automated lander each, to return some science and test out the technology for a crewed trip the next time the Duna window opens up.

@Halfdan if you get enough extra delta-v by adding in that interstage fairing, I think you have several options for improving the performance of that shuttle:

• Make the central stack of the launch stage recoverable
  • Lose two of the boosters to make the whole launch vehicle cheaper
  • Switch out one of the shuttle fuel tanks for a small cargo bay
  • Switch out the shuttle crew compartment for a cargo bay to make a cargo variant of the shuttle

Alternatively, you could leave it with its current launch system (though with the fairing for drag reduction) and I would guess that it might be able to go to Mun orbit and back. Possibly.

Edited by eloquentJane

what i am currently thinking about is to switch the poodle for something a bit stronger, the shuttle suffered some serious stall after bleeding too much airspeed, perhaps switching it for a skipper, or designing a specialized version that switches the engine from the center to two radial mounted ones and a senior docking port in the center so it can dock with my space tugs

2 hours ago, Halfdan said:

85F607C18C75AEF5B9284BDB5EA1BB0306229483

note for upgrade, attach ladders....

Hi. Nice.

Personally I use ladders only when I have to.

When I want to get off I retract the gears. Depending on the design I have retracted all or just the nose gear.

Sometime after landing you will find the ship is drifting, sliding down a hill. Retracting the gear usually stops all motion.

ME

1 hour ago, Halfdan said:

what i am currently thinking about is to switch the poodle for something a bit stronger, the shuttle suffered some serious stall after bleeding too much airspeed

I'd say keep the Poodle for vacuum use, but add a couple of small jet engines to use only when you're on your landing approach. It might make your shuttle a bit heavier, but I think your launch vehicle is powerful enough that that shouldn't matter.

4 minutes ago, eloquentJane said:

I have been testing the first space shuttle for my long-term career. With it, I move closer towards the end-game goal of full reusability. More details here.

9VCwlKG.jpg

very cool! it looks like you are using MRS for that 1.25m cargobay. I love that mod for making small shuttles!