What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

minutes before my wife called for christmas dinner i was able to put this bad boy into orbit:

D66BB9295CA0A5C875058E9612D60C37F42625C06BB32EAE5DD24B84A5BDB9AC2FB0937C214BB5E3

meet the Discovery, it will be the first manned ship that will be sent to Jool and its moons, as part of its payload it will carry several probes to land on the moons and an orbiter for jool himself

if the mission is a success manned landings on the moons will follow (perhaps even laythe if the SSTO research goes as planned)

This craft is designed for Interplanetary travel (notice the space plane attached that I use as a moon/planetary lander).  The engine pod on the main spacecraft can also land and refuel using on-board ISRU units.  This is capable of Jool 5 and a complete grand tour.  The only planet that's out of reach is Eve - I can even land on Kerbin, do some exploring and return using the SSTO space planes.  Right now I'm testing it at Jool and continuing to tweak it a bit.

15622452_406583293066233_606401977479241

15578363_406583533066209_150678570516771

15418343_402271286830767_776014454389085

15625932_406583153066247_470521830903906

15541053_406583183066244_603035684544573

15591168_406584073066155_612137172053024

Jett

Edited by Jett_Quasar

You miss a day on the Forums and there are more good reads than "likes" allow you to acknowledge!  Sorry if yours is one of those.

A New Save.... 

Day One - 15 flights in all, upto and including the first 2 tourist + pilot sub-orbital flight, several landmark achievements for KerbalKind and much testing of random items on the launch pad to pay for a few building upgrades (Mission Control, Launch Pad and VAB). I even built a little science buggy and got a 167 science points grubbing around the complex.  As soon as I have fuel lines unlocked, the sky (well, Minmus) is the limit!

And a Happy Christmas to everyone in KSP land everywhere.

I'm just coming back to KSP after nearly 4 years away. Today I spent over 2 hours in career mode trying to understand why I couldn't pitch my ascending ship into a gravity turn. I varied my TWR, burn times, aerodynamics; everything I could think of. While browsing the forums for a solution I saw mention of different engine types. Then it dawned on me; I'd put the motor for my upper stage (with no gimbal) on the lower stage, and my launch motor (with gimbal) on the upper stage. Problem solved.

/derp

I'm also working on putting up an entire ISS style space station in one SSTO reusable launch.

Here is the heavy SSTO launcher...
15591660_409442946113601_821416369221716

This is the contents of it's cargo bays:
15723462_409442959446933_178100610851239

And here is what the station should look like when assembled in orbit:
15724748_409442732780289_171205643091464

The station features a lab, a cupola, a small scale ISRU, loads of science experiments, tones of power, communications, and docking ports as well as an RCS tug with a claw and finally a fully functional return capsule.  The maximum capacity is 19 Kerbals but a recommended crew size is 8.

Jett

Edited by Jett_Quasar

Yesterday in KSP I launched the core of my Port Kerbin Station. Pretty easy too. Put it in a 150km by 150km parking orbit. Six Kerbalnauts reside there working on science and waiting for the rest of the station parts. However, it's only got room for 8 Kerbals, so contract not fulfilled.

I also launched the central node to hook up with the core, which would bring its capacity to 9 required by the contract. Made rendezvous and tried to dock with the new construction ports. Nope. After the magnets tried and tried, they finally quit working altogether. Seeing as this could be bad and maybe just a problem with a high part count, I deorbited the central hub and it's carrier rocket motor just taking the loss. I relaunched after adding another regular port to the carrier rocket and making sure I had my settings on the ports correct. Again, made rendezvous and attempted to dock. Still having problems getting them to lock. So much so, it threw the station core 180 degrees off the port alignment for a proper dock. I reinitialized the SAS and pondered just what might be causing this problem.

I have no idea why I can't get this central hub to dock. Everything lines up. Magnets engage. The two construction ports just aren't locking up. Could it be the mod? Should I try it with a standard Clamp-o-tron? If I can't get this central hub to dock and then weld together, my station will not work the way I have planned.

Ground tests will be forthcoming before all hope for the second hub is abandoned.

I sent a probe to Eve. This time with solar panels. (Scientists have proven that the batteries will recharge if  solar panels are attached)

screenshot1460_zpszwmhb9iz.png

Then I sent an updated relay sat and science lander to Duna.

screenshot1464_zpsky3csqqv.png

screenshot1466_zpsv4ujrt4f.png

Much science was collected.

screenshot1475_zps7bqlyemk.png

Happy Holidays Fellow KSP'ers!

Today I installed @Galileo's planet pack to my dormant 1.2 save, in hopes of chaos ensuing.

78u0FjF.png

Nothing very chaotic happened, just wound up orbiting some strange places. So I went off for a couple of circumnavigations of Gael.

MSxX3Nk.png

And then this happened:

6cIFEX6.png

Well, um, this is all just testing, anyway... :blush:

Meanwhile, I'm nearly finished cooking something up for my, ahem, legions of adoring fans... :rolleyes:

6gYQ1pw.png

I don't particularly like these dark winter days.

But I will not despair, for soon enough, a new spring will be upon us, when beautiful Vectors will blossom again in the dew of morning, while young drogues perform their mating dance in a mild breeze...

OU1BhDw.jpg

In other, entirely unrelated news: Nobody on the ITS team expected the guidance software to perform the BFR landing flawlessly before some finetuning of certain parameters had taken place.

But when the lack of said finetuning was demonstrated by an actual demonstration, the outcome was still widely regarded as surprisingly surprising.

Also, quite loud.

2 hours ago, Martian Emigrant said:

The saucer.....It's.....a Fairing.....Sheer Genius.....

I have to emulate.

PSA: saucer-shaped fairings do not only look cool, they actually generate lift when forced through the air sideways.

I'm not saying that this makes any sense or might be efficient. I actually swear by the Kraken that it is not. All I'm saying is that I once flew a fairing-based flying saucer off the runway and all the way to Duna, so I should know.

After releasing the Heisenberg 2.1.0 a few hours ago, I did some more work on the ZRS-4, getting her ready for my career save. Here is ZRS-4 undergoing one of her acceptance trials: precision landing in a designated spot. In this case, the rooftop of the VAB:

1Jtg3FI.png

This was done using her CompressedAir RCS thrusters. There's an XV-22 mockup on the deck that's undergoing aircraft handling tests. It just barely fits the ZRS-4's aircraft elevator, leading me to shorten the wings just a bit more. The OSCAR-B tanks are placeholders for the V-22 tilt-rotor engine under development.

Meanwhile, I flew two XV-22 prototypes, trying to engineer the design (and figure out what parts I need for the upcoming Buffalo Wings update to my Buffalo mod). Here is XV-22-01 in horizontal flight, substituting two jet engines in place of the tilt-rotors:

hZtgsNN.png

Those jets definitely won't fit the aircraft elevator..

Here is XV-22-02 undergoing VTOL flight tests:

67E0vsn.png

I've got the balance right, and flight testing shows me that I'll need quick responding tilt-rotors to make it a bit easier to fly. I'm also going to need a torque module (I'm using an RCS module for now), and some saddle tanks to hold fuel, and to spread out the wheelbase a bit.

On a modder's note, my very rough tests of a tilt-rotor part using stock part modules showed me some odd asymetric thrust when mirroring the engines. I'm not sure if it's a result of the design I came up with or if it's in the configuration files. In a day or so I'll have to look into it more. The good news though, is that I can use the stock FXModuleAnimateThrottle to spin the prop-rotors and ModuleAnimateGeneric to pivot the engine from horizontal to vertical. I'm not too familiar with FXModuleAnimateThrottle, and thus far my makeshift prop-rotors don't spin very fast despite what I set for baseAnimSpeed and baseAnimSpeedMult.But hey, I've got two animations that don't interfere with each other, and might not need a custom part module to pull off a V-22 tilt-rotor engine. :)