What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Liftoff!

iv1AZZJ.jpg

New career, 10% science income, starting with 108 in the bank to get over the initial hurdle of "I can't earn enough to go anywhere! D:" that happens with this. Labs will be mandatory. Surface samples have been set to 5x normal value, so boots-on-the-ground is absolutely the best thing that can happen. Using @Galileo's planet pack with @KerikBalm's Rald added in as a moon of Tellumo. Kerbal R&D is in place, but not to be used until the community tech tree is completed. Space Y will be providing large rockets, and B9 some heavy SSTO options. We'll see where it goes from there.

I started working on the sprinkles for my Star Destroyer:

z8vBPdf.jpg

96zJw6Y.jpg

It's going to have a higher part count, and has more part clipping already even though I'm less than halfway finished, so scaling it up will be more work, but I think the end result will be quite worth it!

Still working on a vacuum surface base for anything less than the Mun's gravity. It was going really well until this happened:

PAAIDPo.png

I was docking the ore tank to the base using my utility rover when the entire thing did a 180 in the wrong direction. I had cheated it down to .16g to match Munar conditions, but even then, I didn't expect the momentum shift to be so large. I think that should be negated by not docking full ore tanks to the base, but I'd like a better method than religiously quicksaving.

Today was an odd-ball mishmash as I work through an old mid/late-Career save started back in the 1.1 days. I had a contract to put a base down on Minmus, so I decided to include a Lab and process some of that sweet, sweet Science(TM) in situ while I wait for transfer windows in other missions. I launched the base in one piece and landed it with a skycrane. This is the most ungainly launch I've made in some time; I had so use a pretty lofted trajectory to prevent it going buttocks-over-teakettle on ascent, but it made it.

zBGLHwg.png

Top-down view of the Skycrane making approach to Minmus.

0YN3nEs.png

Descent to the Greater Flats.

CxMkW33.png

Minmus Base Alpha on the ground and operational. The Skycrane has been separated and tossed into a Kerbin-escape trajectory where it will wander the wastes of interplanetary space.

2IVBdCI.png

I also had a contract to expand a small Munar polar station from a capacity of 5 to 17, plus add a Lab, an ore processor and a second cupola. The first addition of most of the extra living space and the second cupola went fine, but the second expansion, adding the Lab and ore processor, went awry when Mission Control received an untimely text during pre-burn preparations to match planes; the booster was staged accidentally, leaving the expansion module stranded with nothing more than a couple hundred units of monoprop and about 500 units of electrical charge. No way to make a 30 degree plane change, let alone rendezvous and dock. So I whipped up a rescue/crew rotation mission. I created a little probe core/battery combo with docking ports on each end, docked it to the nose of the rescue ship in the VAB, then launched this mini-stack to the Mun. I rendezvoused with my stranded Lab/or processor, docked, made the plane change and rendezvoused with my polar station. Unfortunately, pushing this much mass around left my rescue ship short of fuel. Once I got to the station, I was able to undock the Lab/ore unit along with its improvised probe core guidance unit, used the probe core to close the last 200m and dock to the station, completing the contract. Then I docked my rescue ship to the station, refueled from the station's excess, swapped around the previous two long-term occupants of the crew and brought them home. Been a long time since I fubared a basic mission this badly and actually bothered to recover from it.

2nQMkos.png

Mission complete, station expanded and crew swapped, the rescue mission tug backs away from Polar Station Alpha with home in the background ...

Zkr0Tja.png

3 hours ago, eddiew said:

Liftoff!

iv1AZZJ.jpg

New career, 10% science income, starting with 108 in the bank to get over the initial hurdle of "I can't earn enough to go anywhere! D:" that happens with this. Labs will be mandatory. Surface samples have been set to 5x normal value, so boots-on-the-ground is absolutely the best thing that can happen. Using @Galileo's planet pack with @KerikBalm's Rald added in as a moon of Tellumo. Kerbal R&D is in place, but not to be used until the community tech tree is completed. Space Y will be providing large rockets, and B9 some heavy SSTO options. We'll see where it goes from there.

Well,  we are so close to a new update and A LOT is changing.  Shouldn't  break any saves but I would be cautious about having bases and or vessels on the surface after some bodies.  Everything else should be good to go. Enjoy! I can't wait to see your awesome screenshots and comic book-like dialog! 

Edited by Galileo

Geez, haven't posted here in a while.

Anyway, I'm currently filming my latest Duna mission. Launched orbital hab and engines today. Only lander and crew to go before waiting for the window.

5 hours ago, Galileo said:

Well,  we are so close to a new update and A LOT is changing.  Shouldn't  break any saves but I would be cautious about having bases and or vessels on the surface after some bodies.  Everything else should be good to go. Enjoy! I can't wait to see your awesome screenshots and comic book-like dialog! 

Interesting... are we talking within a week or so? If so I might be inclined to hold off before I get too deep :)  Coming back to my 1.2.1 career (that lasted about 2 hours), I found that the body indexes were different and decided not to risk the ore generation being in weird places, or getting a ton of explore contracts for the wrong place. Though that may have been my fault, because I moved Rald from a moon of Gael out to Tellumo...

11 minutes ago, eddiew said:

Interesting... are we talking within a week or so? If so I might be inclined to hold off before I get too deep :)  Coming back to my 1.2.1 career (that lasted about 2 hours), I found that the body indexes were different and decided not to risk the ore generation being in weird places, or getting a ton of explore contracts for the wrong place. Though that may have been my fault, because I moved Rald from a moon of Gael out to Tellumo...

yes most definitely within the week

6 hours ago, Galileo said:

I've got nothing on Ceti or Iota other than flags, and everything else I've done in GPP is either in orbit, or on their way to various planets.  Will the update affect any of those (from what you said, I'm guessing not, but I just want to make sure)?  Or are the planets staying in the same spots, with the same gravity and whatnot?

TBH, though, it's not really that big a deal.  I made quite a few mistakes during my current playthrough, and starting from scratch with an improved planetary system wouldn't really bother me all that much.  Hell, I'm already 3+ years into my current game, and I've only gotten to Ceti and Iota (manned), and several probes to five other planets (three have arrived and five more are set to go soon), although the way I've been playing, the update will be out before their transfer windows open.

26 minutes ago, MaxxQ said:

I've got nothing on Ceti or Iota other than flags, and everything else I've done in GPP is either in orbit, or on their way to various planets.  Will the update affect any of those (from what you said, I'm guessing not, but I just want to make sure)?  Or are the planets staying in the same spots, with the same gravity and whatnot?

TBH, though, it's not really that big a deal.  I made quite a few mistakes during my current playthrough, and starting from scratch with an improved planetary system wouldn't really bother me all that much.  Hell, I'm already 3+ years into my current game, and I've only gotten to Ceti and Iota (manned), and several probes to five other planets (three have arrived and five more are set to go soon), although the way I've been playing, the update will be out before their transfer windows open.

flags and things in orbit will be ok. 

4 hours ago, Galileo said:

yes most definitely within the week

Really? That's not my take-away from any of the recent updates, just that the next minor patch will be fairly soon.

That said, I've been playing since 0.19 ... small point releases (like 1.1.1, 1.1.2, 1.1.3 ...) don't usually break much. Heck, I'm currently playing a save I started when 1.1 was released, played all the way through the betas for 1.2 and all the fixes since then. NBD.

Last night I worked some on a Boeing 707 replica. It's still not much to look at.

2017-01-08%2019-43-06.png

I had a... Uh... "Structural failure followed by fuel-air mix detonation" while flying an A-380.

2017-01-08%2020-10-38.png

I also discovered the hard way that Monoliths now have a collision mesh. 

2017-01-08%2020-36-45.png

Also found I have accumulated 113 crash logs in my KSP directory... 

1 hour ago, LameLefty said:

Really? That's not my take-away from any of the recent updates, just that the next minor patch will be fairly soon.

That said, I've been playing since 0.19 ... small point releases (like 1.1.1, 1.1.2, 1.1.3 ...) don't usually break much. Heck, I'm currently playing a save I started when 1.1 was released, played all the way through the betas for 1.2 and all the fixes since then. NBD.

Ummmm... he's referring to the update for Galileo's Planet Pack as coming out in a week or so, not a KSP update, and that it shouldn't break any GPP saves.

On 1/7/2017 at 6:05 PM, Mikki said:

I need some more female Kerbals for my current Duna Bothering Program, so i created some.
And i thought that i would need a tourist too, so i created a female tourist.
Look closely :D

2jhUCVt.png

On 1/8/2017 at 1:53 AM, LordFerret said:

Is that where my Dottie went! She went AWOL on me.

And my pilot, Nancy Kerman from my attempted Dres mission! :o .......She's in a better place now. Lol Duna Orbit :( I'm happy for her.

15 hours ago, cubinator said:

I started working on the sprinkles for my Star Destroyer:

[double picsnip]

It's going to have a higher part count, and has more part clipping already even though I'm less than halfway finished, so scaling it up will be more work, but I think the end result will be quite worth it!

That doesn't even remotely look like a Star Destroyer.
But it DOES look a lot like a CR90 Corellian Corvette. AKA Leia's blockade runner from ANH.

(1.1.3) Was busy this last weekend and wound up not with a whole lot of time to play. VIP Urre Kerman and tourists Barke and Agsy Kerman departed from the Kerbinport space station aboard a Block III Auk II passenger spaceplane and landed safely at KSC 27, fulfilling two contracts in the process. Contracts to adjust the positioning of the Beep-Beep 7f probe and to launch a new probe to Minmus were picked up. Checking on BB7f, I was able to make the determinations that A) only a single burn would be required to adjust its orbit to fulfill the conditions of the contract and B) said burn would come up within ten minutes of accepting the contract, so I knocked that one out and got a replacement contract for Minmus surface science. Engineer Barna Kerman at the Deepwater Horizon refinery on Minmus had to EVA and head to the nearby rover Lunkhead (which is equipped with a Communotron 88-88) and transmitted an EVA report to KSC, fulfilling the contract before heading back inside the refinery. The replacement contract there was to mine 450 units of ore from Mün; went over to the Piper Alpha refinery on Mün and knocked it out as well. The replacement contract will see VIP Lugan Kerman making a flyby and eventual orbit of Minmus, bringing my number of pending Minmus tourists to six. I finished my weekend with the launch of an Auk IV probe delivery plane to begin fulfilling the Minmus satellite contract; the Bleepity-Bleep 7g probe will arrive at Minmus in about twelve days. Meanwhile, the Auk IV landed safely and intact.

I'll have to bring Lugan up to Kerbinport - at the moment, he's the only tourist not in space. Seems a bit of a waste to make an Auk II flight for just one Kerbal. On the other hand, there are no Auks currently docked at the station, so it may be worth it anyway. Strange Cargo is available for the half-dozen tourists to run to Minmus (her sister ship Next Objective is already en route), though since I want to send Jeb (Strange Cargo's capsule commander) to Duna in another 32 days, I might want to go ahead with picking a replacement commander...

I need to start getting more Duna-bound hardware ready to roll. Right now I've only got Dunaport and Laggin' Dragon up; thirteen more launches and I'll be ready to roll, finally...

5 hours ago, The Raging Sandwich said:

Of course I have to ask... What planet are you on?

Serran. It's also from New Horizons. It's a pretty cool mod with a lot of cool planets. Case in point: Serran has oxygen and is close to Kerbin (as in they both orbit a gas giant)

Freshly back from the grand exploration that wasn't Val and Staline decided to solve the exploding rover problem themselves. Appropriating the fuselage of a projected electric powered transport aircraft ( which was shelved when nobody could find a long enough extension lead) and Buzzard 3's undercart they set to. Working at night to avoid unwanted questions such "who stole the hitch off Werners caravan?" they cobbled together an apparently workable system.

screenshot101_zpsdv0mvkyb.png

They probably had some help with the next bit, but come morning Buzzard 4 was unveiled to cries of "not another one" and "sure that's enough engines?"

screenshot103_zps0efa9l6p.png

Confident that it wasn't going to fall apart immediately Val set off on a test flight. Heading west for a change she opened the taps fully and found number 4 a bit faster than her predecessor, like twice as fast...... Slowing down over the mountains to take stock the signal detector indicated a nearby anomaly. spiralling in on the elusive source provided a good test of 4's handling.screenshot104_zpsceuewzjo.png

Unable to spot anything she edged in closer and finally spotted a monolith glued to the mountainside. In the circumstances planting a flag was quietly forgotten.

screenshot105_zpsbui3uwnd.png

Pondering the wisdom of the ancients who placed a monolith encouraging throwing bones in the air in a place only reachable with a VTOL capable craft she returned to base.

Oh and the Duna scanner arrived on station. Which was nice.