What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Even at contact velocities of 14kps?

EDIT: I know the dipping part is a nightmare on a retrograde, i tried messing with it during one attempt a few days out. The what happens when you hit atmo at those speeds is a best guess/worst nightmare in one neat package.

Also random point, i want to punch myself right now. Just been messing with the ion stage trying to diagnose the source of an unplanned disassembly. I thought i'd used the biggest ion tanks then surrounded them with the little radials. i hadn't. Somehow missed the 5k tank. Think i thought it was an ore tank or somthing stupid. Ughhh, thats going to smoosh the part count, (:)), but ugghhh, so much pain setting up the other method.

Edited by Carl

2 hours ago, Stratzenblitz75 said:

Today, I went to the Moon. Using only SRBs.

Holy cow, that must have taken months!  After this I had to go watch the rest of your videos at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTIgONilLxeAPqkiZrqZOzg

So, am I getting this right?  Each small adjustment is a single-use pair of tiny SRBs like seperatrons?

13 minutes ago, fourfa said:

Holy cow, that must have taken months!  After this I had to go watch the rest of your videos at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTIgONilLxeAPqkiZrqZOzg

So, am I getting this right?  Each small adjustment is a single-use pair of tiny SRBs like seperatrons?

Thanks! I hope you enjoy what my channel has to offer.

Yea, the small adjustments are done by pairs of seperatrons. In the case of the docking, I fired the seperatrons one at a time. Since they don't provide much thrust and they don't burn for very long, the relatively weak reaction wheels on the capsule are able to counter the rotation induced. 

12 minutes ago, Enceos said:

This buddy took me 3 days to make. Had to model 3 custom parts to get the design I wanted.

RGOYUyi.jpg

Dis is a little teaser picture, next time I will actually fly it :)

Me likey :).

ALso DUna Emergancy Relay attempt 5.2 is underway, (v5.1 had unexpected disassembly, rebuilding the ion stage appears to have fixed that, now to see if it has enough TWR at duna to dump 14kps in time, math says maybe).

On 22/12/2016 at 6:22 AM, Fearless Son said:

Don't know why but this is still here^^:huh:

18 hours ago, GDJ said:

And this one appeared? What is going on!? I can't delete them on my phone :( really sorry to you two who are quoted... I will try to fix this!

7 hours ago, GDJ said:

I admit there is some similarity between my CF-100 and the F-104 Starfighter in the KSP universe, but in real life they are totally different animals. The CF-100 was a subsonic all-weather interceptor for the RCAF, and the F-104 Starfighter was a Supersonic Interceptor for the USAF. Canada did have some F-104's (CF-104) in their fleet but those were retired in 1984. The CF-100 was retired back in the late 1950's.

"hello, and welcome to the honest Lockheed Martin aircraft convention. On display today is the F-104 Starfighter, also known as the Widowmaker, the Lawn Dart, The Aluminium Death Tube, the Flying Coffin and the Missile with a man in it. Any buyers?"

Yeah. I tend to agree with the safety concerns.:D

Stop using your phone. That's how the government can track you easier.

Also it's a PITA to do some things on them. That's why I stick to a Desktop. They just plain work better......but I can't carry one with me. Damn.

@accidents happen, sounds like autosave on your phone browser is misbehaving.

Also i actually got curious after seeing the KSP plane and looked up the F104, it's interesting that the accident rate varied so highly between operators with Canada and Germany having particularly bad records, whilst spain had a complete zero accidents record.

18 minutes ago, Carl said:

Also i actually got curious after seeing the KSP plane and looked up the F104, it's interesting that the accident rate varied so highly between operators with Canada and Germany having particularly bad records, whilst spain had a complete zero accidents record.

We tend to push them pretty hard.

Your sig seems so appropriate right now.

Also simulator reports from DER5-2# suggest it may not complete it's duna decel burn in time.

You know what that means don't you. We're gonna need a bigger rocket. Again...

Yes, thats been a bit of a catchphrase for the DER project. We started with somthing like 2.5 kt designs, where now upto 7.35 kt designs. And we need moar rocket.

latest?cb=20131001135318

Actually what i'm going to try first is decelerating for about an hour prior to duna encounter, but if that dosen;t work we might need a bigger rocket ;).

Edited by Carl

Someone commented on one of my Youtube videos that they "found my lack of Star destroyers disturbing".  Well, that's all about to change!

Image may contain: ocean, airplane and outdoor

No automatic alt text available.

The Acclamator is technically an assault ship but it's got the wedge shape so it's close enough for me!

Jett

Today I made an amazing discovery!  I read somewhere on this forum that F1 captures screenshots... this was news to me.  Previously I have tried to "get photos", but first I had to deactivate the engine to free up the SHIFT key, then do the screen capture, and reactivate the engine.  Somewhere in this process I had to leave KSP so I could paste the screenshot into paint for saving, and then I had to remember to reactivate the engine.  It was a right pain in the neck if I'm totally honest, and it almost got a Kerbal killed when I pressed SHIFT having forgotten to first shut down the engine.

So you can imagine how happy I was when I read about the F1 key storing images in a folder in the KSP file, and I've been using it today.  First Bob was talked into taking up one of the rockets that was used for the landing flights, well actually he was drugged, strapped in and launched before he regained his senses, so I could get some images of the rocket to post them on this site for you all to see.  Poor Bob was really unhappy; the main supplier for seatbelts - Jeb's Junkyard - was fresh out of them so "alternative" arrangements had to be made before launch.  It's really amazing the uses you can put rope to when your in a jam...

Apart from that, it's been a quiet day down at the KSC, with just further plans and tests being made in relation to slingshots and assists between moons and planets.  These have not been totally unsuccessful but it must be admitted much work still needs to be done before any mission using these techniques can take place.

Anyway, I'm going to be posting some photos of the Lander Rocket shortly.  I know it's full of errors and bad ideas, although please remember this was done in the Demo version of the game.  I hope you'll have a wee look at it and let me know your opinions and criticisms so I will be able to improve future launch vehicles.

Oh one more thing... if any of you would like to show your appreciation to Bob Kerman for making the images of my rocket possible, all (financial) tokens and tributes can be sent to me and I'll forward them on! :wink: 

Anyway, I'm going to be posting some photos of the Lander Rocket shortly.  I know it's full of errors and bad ideas, although please remember this was done in the Demo version of the game.  I hope you'll have a wee look at it and let me know your opinions and criticisms so I will be able to improve future launch vehicles.

Eh we were all there once, not sure what the demo has version wise but i doubt you've done too badly.

Minor question does anyone have a dv map where the values between planets are listed separately from the capture burn needed at the other end, Looking like i can make DER 5-2# work, (touch wood), so then it will be onto write up and seeing if i can work out a reasonable challenge criteria. The required dv for a retrograde transfer is fairly easy to figure out, but you do need to know prograde transfer burn numbers too and most include the capture burn which is much, much bigger for retrograde transfers.

Hey all Kerbites.

Some of you might remember that I flew a version of the Lunex project.

S24dt1t.png

Well after re-reading the challenge I notice that it need a rover....What???? Sure, whatever. Can do.

So I modify the ship, add a garage and rover and send Jeb to test it on the Mun. He went with Magrigh and Elbrett.

http://imgur.com/a/GsJGG

Here is Jeb pushing the rover out of the garage. The rover can't do it on it's own as there is no link to the KSC.

vg5kES4.png

Then he began testing the rover.

7zzEJBTg.png

L92VAU9g.png

Debrief exert:

Jeb: I don't know what happened. I was driving in a totally un-reckless manner. Maybe a weak weld.

z134ctvg.png

Need a lift?

CUXcYVzg.png

Jeb! You are scarring me. I'm going to be sick.

YSSZjg8g.png

Is this better?

7O0U69Eg.png

Where is the rest of the rover?cCNFHPv.png

Jeb! There is a tree in the way.

HpLKm0ug.png

I know that tree.

8BzPjZf.png

Jeb got a promotion for giving all the technical details on the failure that nearly crippled the mission. Good thing he was there to save the day.

ME

Edited by Martian Emigrant

2 hours ago, The Flying Kerbal said:

Today I made an amazing discovery!  I read somewhere on this forum that F1 captures screenshots... this was news to me.  Previously I have tried to "get photos", but first I had to deactivate the engine to free up the SHIFT key, then do the screen capture, and reactivate the engine.  Somewhere in this process I had to leave KSP so I could paste the screenshot into paint for saving, and then I had to remember to reactivate the engine.  It was a right pain in the neck if I'm totally honest, and it almost got a Kerbal killed when I pressed SHIFT having forgotten to first shut down the engine.

So you can imagine how happy I was when I read about the F1 key storing images in a folder in the KSP file, and I've been using it today.  First Bob was talked into taking up one of the rockets that was used for the landing flights, well actually he was drugged, strapped in and launched before he regained his senses, so I could get some images of the rocket to post them on this site for you all to see.  Poor Bob was really unhappy; the main supplier for seatbelts - Jeb's Junkyard - was fresh out of them so "alternative" arrangements had to be made before launch.  It's really amazing the uses you can put rope to when your in a jam...

Apart from that, it's been a quiet day down at the KSC, with just further plans and tests being made in relation to slingshots and assists between moons and planets.  These have not been totally unsuccessful but it must be admitted much work still needs to be done before any mission using these techniques can take place.

Oh one more thing... if any of you would like to show your appreciation to Bob Kerman for making the images of my rocket possible, all (financial) tokens and tributes can be sent to me and I'll forward them on! :wink: 

Pssst!  Hey you... The Flying Kerbal.  Yes, you.  I've got a secret to tell you: 

Did you know that F2 hides the UI, so you can get clean screenshots?

:D

Edited by MaxxQ

2 hours ago, Carl said:

Eh we were all there once, not sure what the demo has version wise but i doubt you've done too badly.

Minor question does anyone have a dv map where the values between planets are listed separately from the capture burn needed at the other end, Looking like i can make DER 5-2# work, (touch wood), so then it will be onto write up and seeing if i can work out a reasonable challenge criteria. The required dv for a retrograde transfer is fairly easy to figure out, but you do need to know prograde transfer burn numbers too and most include the capture burn which is much, much bigger for retrograde transfers.

Go there:

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Cheat_sheet

Enjoy.

ME

Today was a busy day in real-time (and several weeks in game-time) for my current main Career game. A couple days ago I landed a small surface Science! base on Minmus to satisfy a contract. In typical Kerbal fashion, the clowns in the VAB failed to equip said station with enough electrical storage or generation capability to send a full load of that sweet, sweet Science! back to Kerbin - and as we all know, if transmission is interrupted for any reason (oh, say, lack of electric charge to send it all), NONE of it gets recouped. So the boffins in R&D came up with a solution: a mobile solar-powered battery/generating station equipped with a Claw to add capacity to my existing station. What the frak, it actually worked on the first try. #Bazinga

BHHY5Xa.png

ByZIzku.png

fSwRH5W.png

Our program also landed probes on Eve and Gilly, both of which are PITAs but for different reasons. Eve's gravity and thick atmo make EDL (entry/descent/landing)tricky, and Gilly's ultra-low G makes landing more of a controlled low-speed crash into the surface + hope-we-don't-bounce-off.

kgf8jM6.png

Yx5cW3Z.png

NFiq6eb.png

2wh11xG.png

defjSeM.png

lNzH9JK.png

Pre-dawn at the South Pole of Mun.

I mostly did this because I still do not know how all the comm stuff and relays work. So, I thought I would just simplify it by put a ship at a pole. Mun is close, and I had never visited the Saucer before...

31938521250_43ca551503_o.jpg

The right side is illuminated by my two seat rover, The left side is the sun rising. Kerbol really barely sets, so that helps produce solar energy almost full time too. This location is in a bit of a valley, but at nearly 4,8000 m, I actually do keep almost constant communication and solar panel generation going. I have a space station too in a polar orbit that is tangential to the orbit of  Kirbin,  I am not sure how that works. It is just under 50 km.

32166136982_143357172e_o.jpg

I am thinking it will not stay tangential, but will rotate around the Mun, progressing in relation to the Mun/Kerbin orbital plane.The orbit is useful for transferring Kerbals from the Mun to the space station, but I am thinking not so much for trips from Kerbin to the space station and back. 

Oh well. It does simplify the communications, but now offers other problems to solve. :-)