What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

10 hours ago, Puggonaut said:

Ah hell I was hoping it would be just one mod lmao , Ok then could you try an remember which mod this bit came from please

Circle.png

The big round bit inside the  red circle , As i have an idea for a counter roatating Space Station and that is just the right shape for it .

That ring is from Stational Cunstructs.

Today was a good day for Kerbal kind.

The original mission was take two tourists to the Mun and rescue a stranded (landed) Kerbal while I was there. A successful launch found me reach orbit a couple of hundred Kms from another Kerbal stranded in Kerbin orbit, since there was room on ship I allowed two orbital passes so that he could catch up. No major delta-v loss, 3 second burn on the ascending node to match up, another 2 second burn on the apo to lower the peri to get a provisional 0.1k distance from target. What I failed to notice was the manouver put me at 68k thankful I skipped back out of the atmosphere without any major maladies. A target burn to slow relative velocity and a Gere Kerbal was saved (though I still need to return to salvage his vessel as part of the contract).

Gere got on board just in time for me to make an immediate burn for the Mun. A Munar orbit was reached without any maladies, and some orbital corrections to line up with the stranded Kerbal's landing site near the northern polar region was made. During decent Jeb had a wee oopsie when he jettisoned the empty side tanks, you know, the ones with the landing gears... Every mission has to have it's oopsie moment. Fortunately the area Jeb was landing in was flat, so after some precision flying, Jeb managed to gently land on the engine a mere 314m from the rescue spot, and on the dark side of the Mun.

Before leaving Gere, who just happened to be a scientist, pointed out that we were only a couple of kilometres from a previously unexplored part of the highland craters. So Jeb did some nifty flying to get to the spot, and a couple of aborted landings until finding a perfectly flat spot. Naturally when visiting the Mun for any reason, an assortment of Science equipment goes too just in case. Over 800 science data recovered from the Mun, orbit of the Mun, and Kerbin as well as 1 unintentional rescue made for a great day on Kerbin (well 9 if you want to be accurate). And the science brought back was just enough to unlock the group with the rapier engines, so now I can build some more efficient SSTOs, which will come in handy when I go back for Gere's craft.

I am working on a "passive" Eve Lander. One that needs no control during descent: No airbrakes, elevons, canards, and no reaction wheels. I decided that it should look like a dart, which is difficult if you put a 10m heatshield on the front. This is the result (actually, v2.0). 

It totally works, but it is too bendy in the middle. It stayed together a few more seconds, then snapped in half. Moar Struts should do the trick.

njJTfzY.png

Bonus points for me because it still fits inside a Mk3 fairing, so it can be launched. Tests on the ascent are next (I'm using the F12 cheat to test this) . :) 

Fiddled about with airships, basically because I've never fiddled about with airships before.  (And because I can't fly aircraft worth a D, and crashing is basically the only way I know to land.)

Anyhow, the AS-2s...  solar powered prototype exploration airship.    Worldwide range, at least until the food and water runs out, at a stable 28m/s (100kph).

gshV0Bf.png

After the success of my Huixian (Ares I alike) vehicle, I had the bright idea of using solid lifters to cheaply put fuel into orbit (not that it matters in sandbox, and procedural SRBs are expensive by default, but I like designing launch vehicles much more than mining ships/bases). In practice it's a bit too bright... and hot. The original concept I have for an expendable but costeffective heavy lifter is for five 3.75x20m SRBs with ~4MN of thrust on the radials and ~2.5MN on the core, however the thermal stress from burning such vast amounts of powder for so long adds up to the point of being unfeasible without an extensive cooling system that ruins the partcount and aerodynamics.

The current design for the core (last picture) is liquid-fuelled and the SRBs are only 2.5x12.5m w/ 1.55MN.

I'll probably continue working on the concept with varying booster arrangements (but not sizes, they have to be huge to meet the awesomeness quotient required by the programme), but it might not be possible without changing the heatperthrust value in the config to be much lower than the stockalike value, which I won't do.

Also grid fins (see Kerbal Reusability Expansion, mounted upside down because the rocket is using them while moving up) are really good for controlling purely solid stages, and nighttime is the best to view heat overlay colours most clearly.

885854af69.png36e3f12ce1.png

daf24cb205.png

a8fc6aeccc.png

Edited by Guest

13 minutes ago, String Witch said:

After the success of my Huixian (Ares I alike) vehicle, I had the bright idea of using solid lifters to cheaply put fuel into orbit (not that it matters in sandbox, and procedural SRBs are expensive by default, but I like designing launch vehicles much more than mining ships/bases). In practice it's a bit too bright... and hot. The original concept I have for an expendable but costeffective heavy lifter is for five 15x3.75m SRBs with ~4MN of thrust on the radials and ~2.5MN on the core, however the thermal stress from burning such vast amounts of powder for so long adds up to the point of being unfeasible without an extensive cooling system that ruins the partcount and aerodynamics.

The current design for the core (last picture) is liquid-fuelled and the SRBs are only 2.5x12.5m w/ 1.55MN.

I'll probably continue working on the concept with varying booster arrangements (but not sizes, they have to be huge to meet the awesomeness quotient required by the programme), but it might not be possible without changing the heatperthrust value in the config to be much lower than the stockalike value, which I won't do.

Also grid fins (see Kerbal Reusability Expansion, mounted upside down because the rocket is using them while moving up) are really good for controlling purely solid stages, and nighttime is the best to view heat overlay colours most clearly.

885854af69.png36e3f12ce1.png

daf24cb205.png

a8fc6aeccc.png

Looks kool! Where are the tank / fairing textures from?

2 hours ago, Magzimum said:

I am working on a "passive" Eve Lander. One that needs no control during descent: No airbrakes, elevons, canards, and no reaction wheels. I decided that it should look like a dart, which is difficult if you put a 10m heatshield on the front. This is the result (actually, v2.0). 

It totally works, but it is too bendy in the middle. It stayed together a few more seconds, then snapped in half. Moar Struts should do the trick.

njJTfzY.png

Bonus points for me because it still fits inside a Mk3 fairing, so it can be launched. Tests on the ascent are next (I'm using the F12 cheat to test this) . :) 

If you have auto strut on you shouldn't be seeing such issues, or is this an old version of KSP?

11 minutes ago, Tyko said:

Looks kool! Where are the tank / fairing textures from?

China sides; cryogenic orange stripe; shuttle SRB white; shuttle whole:

Ares tank:

Interstage; gamma fairing:

Edited by Guest

55 minutes ago, eloquentJane said:

@DerekL1963 Just so you know, there are nodes on the sides of the tail cone for attaching the tail fins. They slightly clip into the tail cone (by design) and it makes them look a lot better. You can then use the rotation tool on the tail to move it until the fins are where you want them to be.

I know, but I can't seem to get them to attach - the tail fins want to surface mount rather than sinking in.   I need to poke around and see if that's because of Editor Extensions.

25 minutes ago, DerekL1963 said:

I know, but I can't seem to get them to attach - the tail fins want to surface mount rather than sinking in.   I need to poke around and see if that's because of Editor Extensions.

Do you know you can hold Alt to force node attach? I only learned a couple months ago!

I did it!

Yesterday, the runway arrived at KSC2.

epi8Vud.png

lu7yRQD.png

Unfortunately, I found turning it around takes about an hour. It's really hard to control. And there is - I don't know - phantom force? Wind? Something that accelerates inert airship southwards. And it's stronger than my RCS.

By the time the runway was angled right, it was nearly 2 kilometers past its designated place. There was no way I'd get to turn it 180 degrees to use the main engines, and the RCS was just too weak.

Well, nothing easier, send an engineer and flip the engines backwards. They are near the edge of the runway, the engineer should be easily able to reach them. Right?

eiL1Lw7.png

Wrong. I definitely underestimated the size of this thing.

30vuvQJ.png

That whole helicopter with the engineer would fit between the main engine blades. The runway is THICKER than a Kerbal is tall.

Well, seems I'll need a bigger RCS. MUCH bigger RCS.

Two identical suborbital launchers, as I needed two RCS thruster blocks. Yeah, that fairing covers one RCS thruster block :)

W3GaSQz.png

And here's the thruster arriving on its own power at the site, after reentry. Four nuclear jets plus blimp plus gyro ring and RCS from Heisenberg plus a nuclear reactor = only renewable resources (or ones that I've never managed to use up more than 0.1% of).

9i4YMc8.png

Two thrusters attached to the ends of the way, and finally I got things going. It was slow and arduous - the nuclear jets aren't very strong, and the runway once put in motion, tends to stay in motion, regardless of where I want it to stop...

85qyUwb.png

GGTi6t6.png

At last, with the runway in place, VAB2 manufactured some slabs for attaching the runway to the ground. I seriously doubt if they will help any, but oh well... one engineer drew the short straw, picked the box with nearly 500kg of equipment, and went, mere 1.4km to the northern end of the runway.

PKPF3eu.png

Finally, work done, propulsion and RCS detached (or kraken'd away), the unfortunate engineer hitched a ride back home on a ladder...

NHZzDEE.png

And so - KSC2 got its runway. As wide, and 100m longer than KSC1.

Eir3i69.png

5MtyKrO.png

z05Two8.png

mbi5KHt.png

Plus two fully functional Huge RCS thruster blocks :)

Coming up next: Where's My Smelter?! - somehow in the course, at some point the Smelter vanished. It's roughly the size of the large Kerbodyne tank, and it's gone without a trace. I'll need to make some replacement.

Edited by Sharpy

I'm shiptoasting because my wife is using the computer to do our taxes. Maybe I'll have some pictures of the Cascadia later, have to bring up the Moho lander and a crew shuttle to offset Valentina living on the thing for the next forty days (no probe core... :( )

Edited by regex