What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

50 minutes ago, HalcyonSon said:

Is Kerbnet Stock?

Yes.

Click on any drone core, and then click on the button "Kerbnet Access". It brings up a window: Kerbnet! Then push the button "Wayopint" to drop a waypoint either at your current location, or wherever you put the cursor on the map. 

The solid lifter Fenghuang (Phoenix, given its running temp is 2000-3300K on various parts) is now "safe" after a barely successful live trial (radial motors exploded a second after separation) followed by addition of a reasonable amount of radiative cladding to improve the margin for error. This also required reinforcing procedural structural elements to 2700K max temp (Mk3 spaceplane standard). Interestingly the total delta-v is only 3260m/s but it will pull a 150km orbit; SRBs produce odd results there. The upper stage is designed to splash down, but it does tend to suffer some damage. At least it could be scrapped instead of just disintegrating like the Shenzhen service module.

75t LF(O) tank to orbit (same as Arkadia's midships tank), with about 7.5t of MP max.

b1c2d42767.png2a0217f716.png53b6a71ff2.png

9 hours ago, DunaRocketeer said:

For about ten years of game time, I used a rather awkward little mobile ore miner/processor for refueling ships on the surface of Duna. Well, the thing finally krakened out of existence a few weeks back, and now I'm shipping a proper mobile facility to the surface of Duna.

This ship is one of three that refuelled in Kerbin orbit, and delivered crew and components for assembly on the Dunian surface.

What's your Kerbin cloud texture? Looks real nice.

Edited by Guest

Hmm. So a terrier is more aerodynamic (and about as heavy) as my command pod with RCS. This thing flipped engine-first as soon as I decoupled the stage below it. :( 

My latest Eve mission is coming along nicely! Already mastered the landing, separation of the parachutes (which dropped like a brick and needed moar sepatrons!), fixing of the landing gear, take off and separation of the first couple of stages... Pity that the top stage went engine-first. Will try again tomorrow! 

lMoF03Z.png

To the pub! 

3 hours ago, NISSKEPCSIM said:

@eloquentJane you have introduced me to an amazing mod. Olei Planet Mod is so much fun!

Keep in mind that it is very early on in terms of development. Multiple celestial bodies have been added to it mere days ago, and the mod itself is almost as new. I have yet to attempt a landing on any of the celestial bodies introduced by the mod, so it is possible that there may be some bugs regarding the surfaces.

Even so, it looks to be a very promising mod. I have too much going on to do a whole lot with the Olei planet pack right now (unless I decide that New Horizons is taking too long to update and change that to a series involving different planet packs), but I think it's likely that I'll play a series involving it eventually. The designs are very unique and would be interesting to explore once the mod is more complete.

Condemned Sent some Kerbals to death by boredom on an exciting adventurous scientific endeavour to Dres. By the time they got there the other Kerbals had already unlocked most of the science tree so there was really no point, but let's not tell these guys that.

JH5YrVZ.png

And yes, that's definitely Dres, not the Mun, or Ike, or the movie studio just behind the admin building.

Also, I put too much cooling on the thing, and not enough comms and solar panels, ... and I can't remember why I put parachutes or a ladder on it. But hey, we made it to Dres anyway, so ... yay?

Edited by McFarnsworth

2 hours ago, Jett_Quasar said:

Just finished uploading my new video

DOWNLOAD the Adventure Star-Mun craft file HERE:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x5daybfsma1kkwr/Adventure Star-Mun.craft?dl=0

Also available on Kerbal-X

-Jett

I would LOVE to watch your video, but for some reason, my schools internet has buggered up and YouTube's not working :/

2 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

I would LOVE to watch your video, but for some reason, my schools internet has buggered up and YouTube's not working :/

It may be a copyright issue, I'm using the song Moonage Daydream by David Bowie from the Guardians of the Galaxy soundtrack and YouTube has restrictions on copy-written material.  I've also posted the video to Facebook where they don't have any restrictions (that I know of).  If you have Facebook you can just look me up, I'm the only Jett Quasar on the planet.

- Jett

16 minutes ago, Jett_Quasar said:

It may be a copyright issue, I'm using the song Moonage Daydream by David Bowie from the Guardians of the Galaxy soundtrack and YouTube has restrictions on copy-written material.  I've also posted the video to Facebook where they don't have any restrictions (that I know of).  If you have Facebook you can just look me up, I'm the only Jett Quasar on the planet.

- Jett

nope; EVERY youtube video's screwed; I'll just have to wait until I get home

3 hours ago, Magzimum said:

Yes.

Click on any drone core, and then click on the button "Kerbnet Access". It brings up a window: Kerbnet! Then push the button "Wayopint" to drop a waypoint either at your current location, or wherever you put the cursor on the map. 

I never noticed that.  Will check tonight!  

Does it show up from any vessel, including the Tracking Station, or is it only visible when in control of that one?

There is, mission control noticed, a distinct shortage of science data. Getting to planets is darn hard, and when the probes do arrive, they hardly transmit anything worth mentioning. Fortunately, someone noticed that our antennae have the ability to transmit experimental data to any other vessel, not just ground station - and that gave mission control an idea...

gHU7xk5.jpg

Meanwhile, mission control finally gets cameras close to the most fascinating binary jewel in the night sky! Looks chilly...

FXNwJdr.jpg

5 minutes ago, eddiew said:

Fortunately, someone noticed that our antennae have the ability to transmit experimental data to any other vessel, not just ground station

Is this a stock/vanilla ability or a mod? I need this.

Today, I prepared my com net work for long range missions to the outer planets (OPM, with the antenna range buffs removed).

So... for the trip to Plock I launched this aboard an SSTO spaceplane (7x RA-100,s a LV-N, and enough LF to get over 7,000 dV): 

7qBPKXp.png

(Yes, the solar is sort of stupid, but I hadn't unlocked RTGs, and 4x gigantors can sustain a probe even at those distances... I'll pretend that the nuke propelling it is a bimodal reactor).

Paired with that, is this. Sadly, unlike the above craft, this was too big to fit on my spaceplane (sure. I could fit the same number of RA-100s in a more compact payload, but I really wanted them to look like a functional array, not just a cylindrical fuel tank covered with dishes). So, a massive rocket was used (Still SSTO'd, launched into a polar orbit,  80% recovery due to distance)

57X4Wa7.png

The combined range is 638 Gm. Plock's SMA is 535.8 Gm, but at apoapsis, it can get up to 688 GM away from Kerbin. I'll probably send this big array to kerbin's L4 point, and make a pair of ground stations on Kerbin for communication with Plock at Apoapsis. I Initially planned on just sticking it in a polar orbit with its Apoapsis near the SOI edge and above kerbin's North pole... but since it won't reach plock Apoapsis anyway, I'll send it to L4 so I don't worry about sun occlusion 

Anyway... with that big relay, 3x RA-100's at Neidon will be plenty to connect with Kerbin 1x RA-100 will suffice at Urlum, and an RA-15 will suffice at Jool.

After all this trouble to get simple probes to work... I'm really giving serious thought to installing TAC life support, and as such I'm wrapping up my Kerballed Mun and Minmus programs so that I wont have any kerbals out when I make the switch.

Pretty exciting day for me today. I've been messing around with stuff for a while now and gotten progressively better. BUT! today was my biggest jump in new things. Today I launched my first attachment to my original station satellite, successfully docked the 2. The station is in LKO +- 72k and was originally put up to test out the MPL and I took extra fuel up to serve as a refueling station once in orbit around kerbin. New attachment had a lot more fuel, plus some new scanners I did not originally have. Also the original station was flown using a probe. With todays attachment I wanted to try a manned craft to see if i could also return home and how much fuel it would take. Mission was a total success, docking is a lot of fun!

The other big milestone for me today was landing on minmus and returning home. I used the same craft as the station add on minus scanners, to see how much fuel i would need for the trip. I experimented with using RCS thrusters in docking mode to burn prograde. It took a while but seeing as I had never even tried this before, it was pretty neat! Landing on minmus was pretty fun considering the low gravity but the really gut wrenching part was the return. Considering I had never done the landing before I figured I would return home the same way I return from Mun. Well apparently I had my bearing backward because I left KSO and orbited the sun once, did some adjustments and ultimately made it home safe with a LOT of science.

I used this science to buy some aero research and experimented with standard flight since I am not great at those builds yet. Built a pretty neat plane and flew due north to reach north pole. about 2/3 of the way up the game froze. Now here I am.

It was a pretty neat day for me in KSP, definitely 3 big things I had never done before in 1 day. I love this game and cant wait to try some new things!

Happy flying!

1 hour ago, eddiew said:

There is, mission control noticed, a distinct shortage of science data. Getting to planets is darn hard, and when the probes do arrive, they hardly transmit anything worth mentioning. Fortunately, someone noticed that our antennae have the ability to transmit experimental data to any other vessel, not just ground station - and that gave mission control an idea...

gHU7xk5.jpg

Meanwhile, mission control finally gets cameras close to the most fascinating binary jewel in the night sky! Looks chilly...

FXNwJdr.jpg

I know you probably use quite a few and ill try to be as specific as possible, but which mods do you use for realism? The sky and planets look amazing! I tried the realism mod (i think) but was not skilled enough to deal with the real life scale, when i tried to scale back to original, the gravity was all jacked up. anyway, just curious. Thanks in advance

Grubbing around for science in the old jet car at KSC, then took a little plane out to a couple more biomes. Forgot to take screenshots like a numpty. Unlocked the Mainsail and Twin Boar out of that, which is gonna help me build some decent sized rockets.

Key Kerbanytes.

Today I went to the Mun (Again) Lunex style (Again).

UnOOM06.png

I will probably redo it as my score is nothing to brag about.
I have this 3 Kerbal rover with a small control wheel on it.
N43ipCX.png
vgvTomV.png

It can handle very steep hills.

So when I did the mandatory tourist traps rock sampling.
kAMpg2N.png

I wondered "How high can you go?" (It's the opposite of Limbo).
kKNiHrT.png

With just two wheels contacting I could only go a few meters.
But with all 4....There was no limits it seemed.
A66HGuL.png

MOeeXGx.png

ceREGFI.png

No limit where the Arch is concerned anyway.

e2EgHOr.png

It even came down. It did slip off the surface but the rover was perhaps 2 meter of the ground. No damage.

ME

Edited by Martian Emigrant

Today, i finished to assemble that munar station, The Lander and the 2 science containers are docked. The 2 sciences containers are probes that can return on kerbin to bring max science of the experiments of the lander and grab most of the science from the mun.

Unfortunatly, i mistaken and brought Jebediah ... i wanted him on kerbin, and avalaible for great missions, there is also one engineer in the station that has nothing to do there, so, next step is moving staff ... this could have not happend and KSC staff manager will be spanked !

ZfsUjgM.png
i'm quite proud of the design inside the fairing, i could embend the lander and the 2 probes on the same stage.

XizEDy9.png
The lander is about to dock.

G3MZK1z.png
The probe approaching the station, lot of RCS power for a so small probe !

hTD4Lin.png
The station finished with a pretty view on kerbin and mun surface.

Thanx for reading this !

Yesterday, I made this:

LX0LtlC.png

Today, I perfected the hinge and built the rest of the F-35 around it. Then, I took it for a couple of laps around KSC, and it worked wonderfully. I've been perfecting the visuals since then, so I'm really proud of this one.

bk7Csiq.png

Landing back on the runway after the first VTO-VL cycle. I then did a HTO-HL cycle and a STO-VL cycle (short/horizontal/vertical takeoff/landing).

o8dLAix.png

Who doesn't love a good stock F-35? (Canada, I guess, but who else?)

OUyrue9.png

Though the VTOL was the priority, I'm also really satisfied with how the visuals turned out.

Edited by Servo