What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

37 minutes ago, Whisky Tango Foxtrot said:

The ore tank (there's only one) is half full. The fuel tank is completely full. The sub is slightly buoyant so it needs engine thrust to dive.

The service bay has two 0.625m batteries, a 16-S antenna, a Gravioli Detector, a thermometer, a barometer and a seismic acceleratometer.

My mission wasn't completely successful, though; I surfaced too quickly and dolphin-jumped out of the water, resulting in some unplanned disassembly on landing.

Good to know; thanks. I was also having issues where it would shoot out of the water backward and have a case of rapid unplanned disassembly...

It's Year 50 of the Kerbal Space Age. The Fifth Interplanetary Expedition has reached Bop.

( Previously: Jool - Pol )

sASA4R9.jpg

Bop is the last moon where it's practical to refuel the mothership for Laythe and Tylo flyby, because Vall's gravity is too high to shuttle ore with the Explorer lander. We'll have to fill the tanks to the brim here.

8tlGJIz.jpg

An orbital survey satellite is deployed. Alas! There is no connection to KSC. On Pol, there were a few lucky moments when we were able to communicate with Kerbin, but not now. Well, Bop's gravity is low, so we'll just land in a random place and hop around blindly until there's some ore. There should be enough fuel for more than a few hops.

gp9vZwT.jpg

The crew is aboard the Explorer and we're going to boop Bop!

HROqtfr.jpg

- Heya Bop!
- Yo Bop yo ole lump of...!
- Hi Bop! We love you~ <3

OFITrD4.jpg

...And, on this historic day of 50-274, the proud flag of New Keralonian Republic flies high over the rocks of Bop. The Fifth Interplanetary has successfully landed.

A0AelQY.jpg

But what's next? Tylo, of course!

Edited by Haruspex

Last night was another design brainstorm session at KSC -- first order of business (on pain of pain promised by Jeb -- he was supposed to land on Mun!) was to rectify the oversight involving stack separators and docking clamps (or lack thereof) on the transfer stage command pod of Selene 1 Mod. 3, but that was followed by a number of opinions suggesting that this ship lacked the dV to go anywhere beyond Minmus while pushing that two-stage lander (despite the lander having only one acceleration couch).  End result was that boosters were added to increase the mass that can be orbited, resulting in Selene 1 Mod. 3-1. 

Alternate opinions, however, were that the extra thrust and complexity of boosters, plus the need to throttle back deeply to avoid shock heating during the Max-Q period, wasn't needed so much as to dump extra launch mass before getting high enough to deploy the fairing, while there was still fuel to push the now-lightened vessel. Just before a fist fight broke out in the conference room, someone waved a napkin from the coffee bar with the the booster of Selene 1 Mod. 3 broken into two stages (at the obvious location, the join between the two 14,400 tanks), and a Rhino engine inserted.  Since (as it turned out) that was the project director, everyone calmed down and pitched in drawing up that version -- Selene 1 Mod 3a -- as well.  Both launchers are likely to see service; the lighter, simpler one for future Mun and Minmus missions, and the heavier one with larger orbited mass capacity for more distant destinations.

Today I was able to complete Chapter 29 and began taking the screen shots for Chapter 30:

RSJcYKG.jpg

A dark side rendezvous with Minimus in the right foreground and off in the distance, Kerbin and the Mun...

uj077sz.jpg

Kerny and Karloff - on the surface of Minimus...

11 hours ago, DarkOwl57 said:

Those stickers are from Nebula, right?

yup

11 hours ago, Tyko said:

NIce, which mods are you using for the capsule, engines and station parts?

Capsule: Heavily modified and re-textured Phoenix Industries Cargo Resupply System Dragon

Engines: BDB Apollo and Tantares ATV

Station Parts: Near Future Station Parts and Habtech (Some trusses from CX)

Last night I helped roll out a new database server so I didn't play, but I made some time this afternoon.

I launched two new fuel slugs to resupply the Cascadia, they're powered by RS-25s and should have the TWR to better handle the journey. Both made the transfer burns without issue, only needing some 60m/s a piece in order to fine-tune the approach. Hoping this will get the Cascadia home, although I might look into KSP TOT to see if I can take advantage of an Eve slingshot to reduce the braking delta-V at Kerbin.

Also refueled the Eve Exploration Vessel and brought it into a better parking orbit around Kerbin. Once all the research is done I'll launch a station to take its place in LKO, gather all the science and such.

The Dres probe (not the Jool probe, that's last, the Sarnus probe is next, I think) arrived on station, returning some good data which I transfered to Ike Station. I think I'll send some more satellites to Dres and set it up as a fuel depot for further exploration since it finally has a proper role as the gateway to the outer system.

Finally, the Cascadia crew landed on Moho, completing the experiments they had come for. There's a good bit of data on the ship which I hope to retrieve.

hucgJi3.png

MWGTsQv.png

HUMaqaI.png

5M0ma0G.png

Last night I launched this

oMN0PzQ.jpg

It is the first part of my misson to Tellumo. There will be also a Mothership and a Spaceplane for exploring the planet. This is the Lander for Lilli and is cabable to refuel the Mothership and the descending unit for the plane.

Here are some pictures.

Q5X7YWj.jpg

m0YI3SG.jpg

Reentry of the Rocket SSTO

MFvgf8H.jpg

wX3hkZL.jpg

I started another little parts tweak project, this one codenamed "SuperStock" revolving around some cockpit and fuselage parts, and the airbrake being buffed for better heat tolerance, (who doesn't hate that the airbrake only takes 1200K when open?), and attempts to turn the Whiplash into a hybrid scramjet. Everything else worked but the engine is stubborn and resists the tuning.

Afterwards some probes were launched for the science game. Inspired by but not quite meeting the standards of @eloquentJane's new Fancy Probes challenge, the CardPicker Mk1 attempts to capture around Ceti but due to a design decision, KER produces false numbers and the Mk1 had not the dV to capture, so it escaped into low Ciro (Sun) orbit. The Mk2, with more Boosters and droptanks goes after Iota instead, does what experiments it can and begins mapping with an attached low-res SCAN part.

Inside the uppermost and vertically mirrored lowermost service bay are (1) inline 1.25m batteries and a small radial Karbonite tank and a karbelectric generator from learning my lesson over not packing enough battery capa or any recharge capa when the Mk0 transmitted science.

DTqAbQa.jpg

s0fKnHR.jpg

Made a jet fighter go 1.5 kilometers per second for no apparent reason. It can last like this for around 2 and a half minutes with a couple radiators on the side of the engines, which is shockingly the only thing overheating. After this time it is dangerous to continue like this since the engine likes to blow up. No kernels have died because of engine overheating though, due to my extensive skills at losing everything but the cockpit when landing.

All the night waiting in the KSC the delivery to the new boosters "R8 Vostok" by RES.

When they arrive, the KSP team develop the new configuration and the new restiling than the old ones, RES have done a great work. :0.0:

R7K1 old launcher VS R8K8 new launcher:

6ISD47N.png

q4DxwFC.png

Thanks "Rivas Espacial Research" for the awesome work! Ignition in 3......2....1......:cool:

Edited by MikeZDB

Was off for a little while taking care of things. Yesterday was an incredible day at Doc's Space Center. we landed a probe on both the Mun and Minmus,

Prospector I on the Mun

mun_pano_full.pngupload a picture

Prospector II on Minmus

prospector_II_on_minmus.pngimage hosting over 5mb

Then got some beautiful shots with a few tours, and upgraded the Triumph of the Stars 

touring.pngupload image

skybox.pngfree photo hosting

ditching_under_the_nebula.pngimage hosting over 5mb

Upgraded The Triumph with better boosters and lighter fuel tanks, it's now can reach a much higher orbit. This will be a new class of tourist vessel, named Galactic Explorer. It might even be able to do a fly-by of the Mun if I launch just right. :D

Had a contract for a wheeled outpost on Eve. It's unmanned, but just in case a Kerbal ever ends up on Eve, he or she will have something to do.

mIPuKkH.png

It was a very rough atmospheric entry and landing. I lost most of the solar panels, some radiators, some wheels, and a landing leg, but enough of the craft survived to complete the contract and remain functional. The antenna of the plane also burned up, so I can't use it once I detach it. A shame since I've never tried flying on Eve and it was the only reason I brought the plane along since it wasn't required for the contract. :/

8 hours ago, Galacticvoyager said:

bbVDFYE.png

Dont mind me, just watering my space station! It seems like its orange leaves are splitting... I wonder why...

I've been watching this the whole time and pondering:

1. What is its part count?
  2. How much of that is that tiny 4-way RCS block alone?

Just now, JadeOfMaar said:

I've been watching this the whole time and pondering:

1. What is its part count?
  2. How much of that is that tiny 4-way RCS block alone?

1. 1213 parts (and 724.25 tons.) Doesn't crash surprising and is surprising smooth...

2. 5 blocks, or modules as I like to call them

@Galacticvoyager I meant how many individual RCS thrusters are there... That's a lot of 2.5m mono tanks... And each one has apparently 24 wrapped around them.

Spoiler

I think it's time you installed a mod...or use vernier engines instead. :P Save yourself a bucket load of part count, and gain RCS power.

Just now, JadeOfMaar said:

@Galacticvoyager I meant how many individual RCS thrusters are there... That's a lot of 2.5m mono tanks... And each one has apparently 24 wrapped around them.

Hide contents

I think it's time you installed a mod...or use vernier engines instead. :P Save yourself a bucket load of part count, and gain RCS power.

But wouldn't they fire in one direction?