What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Today was the first day in a while when I could actually load and play the game (I'm pretty much done with high school now, but the last three weeks have been really busy).

dxZFqk0.png

I spent some time experimenting with hybrid boosters as well as fly-back SRBs.

PnYCty5.png

This configuration was extremely interesting, since the whiplash flameout coincided pretty well with the SRB burnout in most tests, and it's not every day you see a spent booster flying past at Mach 3. Ultimately, I found the design extremely difficult to land, in addition to not really providing any advantages over disposable SRBs. It was cool, though.

s354F3g.png

A goal of mine for a while has been doing a proper Jool 5 mission. I spend 90% of my time in atmosphere, so it's good to get out and explore the universe sometimes. This is the Prometheus, my first legitimate attempt at the mission in a while. I'm still in the shakedown/testing phase, but I will probably make a video whenever I actually fly the mission.

EQvAXnO.png

Here she is on Minmus. I alt-f12'd it to orbit on the second attempt (the first one involved the flyback boosters above, and failed.) It's got full refueling capabilities, and features dual ISRU units (which is probably unnecessary), plus six small drills and fuel cells to keep the juice flowing. The entire ship can land on Bop or Pol for refueling, or the middle section can be used as a light lander (for Laythe and maybe Vall). The entire ship was designed to be able to land on Tylo, minus the top cockpit section. The lower section has three vectors and six LV-Ns, providing a blend of power and efficiency that should be helpful for long missions. I topped off the tanks with only liquid fuel here, to make the long haul to Jool.

7fp2RXu.png

Also, the sunflare shaders hide whenever I try to take a screenshot. Does anyone know how to fix this? It's ruined a bunch of really cool screenshots for me.

I apparently broke something setting up my RO Career game. Can't get a signal, even at the launchpad lol.z8u6EjF.jpg

@Servo The sun-flare disappearing sounds pretty strange. Does taking a non-KSP screenshot trigger it also (EG taking a full screen screenshot)?

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139

Me I had one of those "oh no I messed up real bad this time" moments. I was making a trip to Duna on my with my new space ship and had made a new lander to go with it. So I did all the standard things one would do intercept Duna, make orbit, land take off etc. But then I got to Kerbin orbit and I de-orbited and deployed my parachute, Then I realized I had put a drogue chute not a real parachute on the landing can. So I quick loaded to when I was orbiting Kerbin and used my last 164 deltaV to put me in a safe orbit albeit an eccentric inclined one. So I designed a probe with a claw and parachutes attached and grabbed onto the landing can de-orbited and safely landed with all my science and kerbals intact.

Having done SCANsat so many times I noticed that I had Scansat missions available for Earth, the Moon and Venus.

Venus was already happening so I sent up the apropriate scansats to Earth and moon polar orbits.

pUhDbt3.png

My Earth SAR sat would not deploy its second panel. 

WA8AfZ3.png

Lunar Radarsat (SAR/Biome done long ago)

dsOsfdr.png

l03KMvj.png

A Mars transit time was the next to open up. So how do you get 12 man years of life support and a full manned science ship into space.

How about 4 large SRB, 20SSME's and 5 Advanced Hydrolox Vacuum engines.

la5dGw5.png

The nuclear drives tuned the orbit a little and circularized.

Arrival Mars.  Some Hydrogen remains for exit timing on the 220th day of the trip.

aeR3MTv.png

In deep interplanetary space the nuclear drives are shed. Imagine the sheer mind numbing horror of leaving your main drives behind hundreds of days from any planet...

b8rSEGL.png

After a large correction burn to get a few hundred days of transit time off the trip a few RCS squirts change the final target by millions of meters.

WMbyale.png

Year 1 day 129.  So Tired Of My Companions.....  Could have been 6 people crammed in this ship.

ObDrYyQ.png

Who needs all this life support and science gear.

GESla8B.png

Operating the "Patience Drive" the last of the fuel is used to enter a elliptical orbit and kill as much velocity as can safely be done.

fjgQVwe.png

I thought that 67km PE would be just right....

Isuv2zx.png

Thankfully 40 days of life support means that next pass will be a drop in Hawaii

Edited by Bornholio

Today I launched my first water ship named "Brave"

A not very fast, but very lovely corvette like vessel armed with a ballistic long-range rocket B-1 type "Ballista", four middle-range rockets type "Arbalest" and a six-charged launching system type "i-don't-khow-where's-it-gonna-fly-so-be-scared".
L1WUQle.png
Z05ZO0H.png
3iXAk1b.png

I decided to come back to KSP today.

Finally completing the XC-73A Pallas SSTO and making her operational : 

rRcVDqQ.png

The step to 1.3 makes me change some things to the game and so I had to use an older save to complete the flight.

OuupCRF.png

Leaving Outer Heaven after nearly half a year.

0lO3ihX.png

MqZxDP0.png

De-orbiting and final descent to the KSP.

8aXMBKA.png

The craft didn't overheat too much but she still use to pitch down at the end of the re-entry.

FpEoPxR.png

2X8yToF.png

Traditional runway overshot... but I took the decision to not divert to the island airfield this time as the I was not able to remember the landing speed of the craft and think it should be huge.

4SQUFMN.png

Final turn and gear down.

UAFN7mQ.png

vfBvTGV.png

The craft appears to be heavier than what I expected but also stay well in controls while still flying under 100 m/s. Just need some thrust.

4gjqsN1.png

mctJxAs.png

The breaking chute helps a lot this time!

tiJIoOn.png

xfemPGa.png

Rudder controls also are sufficient on the ground.

TX2Rlct.png

Welcome back!

I still have to refine some things then will upload it on KerbalX.

I tested my first version of a CSM in low earth orbit.

MKHgOlG.jpg

It provides Life Support for 53 days, contains 1600m/s of deltaV and is powered by a single AJ-10-mid engine.

Unfortunately, the solar panels are really bad, and the integrated battery provides power for only 2 days, so I wont be able to make a moon fly-by at the moment.

after making some improvements to the ILV (insane launch vehicle) i put my prototype jool craft into orbit and sent it to the fuel station around minmus to stock up on fuel before the long journey

011E72B2276D208F84C182140F53BC1ACDDBC384

the main drive consists of 15 NERV nuclear engines

B30CFE7A3DB99DFECFCE233882B37395E8E0367E

the flight to jool will be an unmanned proving flight, if all performs well, manned flights, as well as a unmanned freighter version of the ship will follow

since i was only once before to jool in another playthrough and the ship barely limped back to duna with about 1% of fuel at the time of docking with the fuel deopt in ike orbit, i am open for suggestions on how to improve my ships for this kind of mission 

Testing out WingCommander from BDA. It's impressive. Yyn9X34.jpgTc5qFJ4.jpgmko9thi.jpgHalfway to calling it a squadron. I still cannot seem to be able to take a picture that isn't blurry or bad quality

And there we have it, 16: KBEN9Xx.jpgRed 9 and Red 7 collided on launch, probably due to an earlier argument about who was the best pilotPxN88KK.jpgMSz1IYb.jpg

Edited by Skylon

34 minutes ago, Skylon said:

Testing out WingCommander from BDA. It's impressive. Halfway to calling it a squadron. I still cannot seem to be able to take a picture that isn't blurry or bad quality

And there we have it, 16: Red 9 and Red 7 collided on launch, probably due to an earlier argument about who was the best pilotPxN88KK.jpg

That is awesome, I've never flown more then 7.

I need to try this soon™ .

Just now, Skylon said:

I'm having a 6v6 battle now. I'd be lying if I told you I knew what was going on

I guess a lot of gunfire everywhere :D

I wish you made a video, I'd love to see that.

5 minutes ago, Triop said:

I guess a lot of gunfire everywhere :D

I wish you made a video, I'd love to see that.

I'd make one but I don't have a youtube account and I don't really plan to make one. However, all you need is ~5 mins (I think) and Vessel Mover (and BDA of course to fly them)

Anyway it isn't going very well no-one has been shot down yet. I'm tailing Red 8, who is tailing Red 3 and I'm being tailed by Red 10.

Edited by Skylon

1 minute ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Man, how do you get that many planes up without spending "hours" setting it up each time?

I guess Vesselmover and then "spawn vessel", but even then it indeed would take a lot of time.

Edit, what the guy above me says...:D

Edited by Triop

3 minutes ago, Triop said:

I guess Vesselmover and then "spawn vessel", but even then it indeed would take a lot of time.

I've used Alt-F5 to save the moment when I had all 16

Argh! I got shot down! I managed to kill Red 8 though. Maybe I will add more planes.

Edit: Maybe more planes for another day, I don't have the patience for this anymore :P 

Edited by Skylon

1 minute ago, Skylon said:

I've used Alt-F5 to save the moment when I had all 16

Yeah, I did a 3x3 battle once starting from the tracking station, I lost 4 Kerbals that day...:unsure: