What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

2 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

I JUST DID MY FIRST EVER DOCKING IN SPACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's always something fun/annoying to do.

Have any pics?

1 minute ago, qzgy said:

That's always something fun/annoying to do.

Have any pics?

only of the 2 ships docked; I used f-12 to set it up but the Kraken decided to rear his ugly head and make the 'station' spin around like a top. So that took 5 minutes to calm down...

Nothing, for the simple reason of maxresdefault.jpg

but that's no surprise, considering that I play KSP(and everything else for that matter) on a 

SurfacePro3_Image1-large_high600.jpg 

And I do it with only 4 GB RAM. It only started acting up recently however.

I didn't do anything exciting tonight, just shuffling around crew and getting the taxi ready for Dres. Taking a break before the task of refitting one of the tugs. Oh yeah, and I found a ton of Moho experiments I forgot about, they're now processing.

Here's a pretty picture.

wvFI82i.png

8 hours ago, NISSKEPCSIM said:

Meh. When the fuel is drained and the stage separated, the centre of lift is in front of the centre of mass. So it stalls front first. I doesn't perform well during descent, no matter whether you're hypersonic or subsonic. And believe me, I tried making it fly - the seaplane float booster still flies like a dog and flips during descent. So I think Adeline-Vulcan cross it is.

Try setting tank priorities so that frontal tank drains last. Plus, if your wings have primary function of countering the payload's wings during ascent, nothing forbids moving them further back.

That's pretty much what I did with this: having the remaining drops of fuel in the front makes it properly balanced for flight back.

And a few tips for such fly-back booster:

• Ascent profile means very much since you don't want too much horizontal velocity to counter. steeper intitial ascent + more delta v (practically, just more fuel to rebalance delta v between stages) on second stage.
  • In the video I aimed the boost-back for 40 km undershot and still got almost unpowered glide. You'll need even less boosting back if you are going to fly back on jets most of the way.
  • The way you pull out of dive into somewhat level flight directly translates into how much energy you'll have almost for free

Not the greater thing I did in KSP today but the more entertaining thing. I revisited my NOS mod and replaced the custom "NOS" resource with CRP's Nitrous Oxide (same thing, longer name). Of course that means lots of numbers in the resource bar but otherwise everything stayed the same. I might change it back to NOS to keep the numbers low. (Easier to regulate by tankage in any NOS challenge that comes up)

Then I developed this test car (with plenty yaw control) that can still steer well at incredibly high speed for a land vehicle. It helps a lot to have NOS to burn while steering. Eat this, Pagani/Bugati/Laborghini!) :D 

But suddenly... KSC ramp! :confused:

7iluiHI.jpg 

OI4A22A.jpg

xxynuDL.jpg

Edited by JadeOfMaar

3 hours ago, The Raging Sandwich said:

It's like some sort of vaporwave

Shimmy biaches.

8 hours ago, Josh IN SPACE said:

I docked for the first time. Meeting up took me about 15 minutes. Docking probably took over an hour.

Hmmm thats all, sure you didn't try 15 times. The magic is in RCS balance so it translates and rotates without the other happening at the same time.  Thus my first must have mod is "RCS Build Aid". Near the top of the list is a docking mod, "Docking Port Alignment Indicator" my favorite.

@JadeOfMaar Things that shouldn't fly, and don't.

I went to Mars, again, in preparation of manned landings and permanent habitation.  Testing fuel and life support generation systems. My first was a lander design intended to get pretty anything I could from the martian atmosphere and midlands. Co planar launch site to Phobos and close to equator. It has very small tanks so it needs fuel tanks delivered.

I tried to save all descending pieces but the thin atmosphere makes that hard.  The systems are intended to be as cheap as possible because there are no supporting missions to pay for them.  Used refueling in orbit to keep down lifter complexity. hyperedit and cheat page to pay for it once i did the reference fueling mission

Test reference mission, trying to just get parachute/drogue deployment without powered descent.  Used lithium plasma RCS and manuever engines to do all the circularized and deorbit work.  The design failed to slow down enough even with very shallow insertion and long heating phase.  enclosure worked great and always held correct facing.

MjJKtx9.png

Final design for initial fueling base, the Castor 30's worked perfect, just as main heating phase started they ignited and cut velocity to zero (actually got a few m/s ascent)

ZrCYsQB.png

Spoiler

gA9bB2s.png

WS9SpJa.png

Y9MFMQm.png

cpS8qdd.png

fALdhdP.png

ccqP5eo.png

Secondary systems, using a lighter fueling module (no argon separation and smaller solar/batteries).

Reference mission testing done I launched the new fueling lander, two storage tanks and a bulldozer/assembly rover.

Spoiler

JEAwNb6.png

A7u1KOl.png

czPXfbk.png

Landing the tanks.  computer/KSP performance was very bad for some reason.  Had real problems getting MechJeb to do things (like burn on time at maneuver node).  so i did almost everything manually.

Spoiler

hNv0qyZ.png

lo5kd6s.png

JZTOFkN.png

The last landing I did was a tank landing. very on target, landing was too rough.

x2d0rg0.png

Very frustrated at the difficulties I had.  May have to reload a few mods and maybe remove a bunch of unused parts.

Edited by Bornholio

Lol @Bornholio That test car does have some decent ability to fly but is not meant to. In case of instances like hitting that ramp I mean for it to have some gliding ability to touchdown and not pop all its wheels. I do have angle of incidence in some hidden elevons near the front to ensure an effective amount of downforce.

5 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Lol @Bornholio That test car does have some decent ability to fly but is not meant to. In case of instances like hitting that ramp I mean for it to have some gliding ability to touchdown and not pop all its wheels. I do have angle of incidence in some hidden elevons near the front to ensure an effective amount of downforce.

You mean like an F1 car!

Various US police forces had Ford mustangs in the early '90's The could hit 160mph, this is also their ~0 down force speed.  One of the guys I knew had locked in 157mph on his VASCAR speed system. Brakes are not your friend at this speed...let up the gas and wait.  Below 140 engine braking is okay.   Who polices the policemen.....Physics.

7 minutes ago, Bornholio said:

Who polices the policemen...

Lol!

I'm actually thinking of making a NASCAR-esque dragster now with Mk1 and no Mk2 parts for the body (a more proper-looking F1 racer?). And rebuild a car I made for the kerbal DAKAR in January. 

Edited by JadeOfMaar

Just now, JadeOfMaar said:

...is the mindkiller.

Then your planes finish the job?

Don't tell anyone, but we are going to set up a base on the nearby island, protecting it from Separatist scum.

The island is cleared from bandits since the last Mirage attacks on the Su-7s.:ph34r: