What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Finally went back to Dres to rescue Jeb et al. Took a rover along--it was a terrible experience--due to the low Dres gravity, rover is very unstable--busted a wheel while at it. A 20 minute drive to fetch the Kerbals (had to land in another are because the area where the Rizal landed was very uneven) became 40 minutes because of me trying to be careful not to flip the rover over.

There are four Kerbals in this image. Jeb is the one hanging out back. One is inside the cupola.

screenshot90l.png

screenshot92z.png

The rescue vehicle, with hitchhiker can for the stranded Kerbals.

screenshot94.png

Bob, the last Kerb to board (he was commander of this rescue mission).

screenshot96b.png

After refuelling via a tanker in Dres high orbit, rescue vessel prepares for the long burn back to Kerbin...

screenshot97t.png

One of several course correction burns. Kinda tough considering Dres' inclination--important if you plan to land exactly at KSC

screenshot100fr.png

Homeworld in sight.

screenshot101gf.png

Yep, that's where I wanna land.

screenshot106i.png

Re-entry

screenshot109yl.png

Missed KSC by a few hundred meters but it's cool

screenshot112n.png

Bob coming down the ladder, with all the other guys already out.

screenshot119tx.png

Six happy Kerbals going to the pub to celebrate.

screenshot121c.png

Edited by rodion_herrera

Finally went back to Dres to rescue Jeb et al. Took a rover along--it was a terrible experience--due to the low Dres gravity, rover is very unstable--busted a wheel while at it. A 20 minute drive to fetch the Kerbals (had to land in another are because the area where the Rizal landed was very uneven) became 40 minutes because of me trying to be careful not to flip the rover over.

EVA Kerbals can repair broken wheels...and it might not be the low gravity. I've had problems with my (much lighter) rover with the TR-2Ls being unstable too. It appears to be some suspension problem with the TR-2Ls...there's a note in the 0.20.1 patch notes about adjusting the suspension to fix a jitter issue that sounds suspiciously similar, so I'm wondering if that fix got pulled from 0.20.2 somehow. Since I've clean-installed twice AND tested it with no mods the second time just to make sure.

As for what I did today...I tried to make an SNES style Arwing (not the version from the newer games you see around already) from memory, and it was horribly inaccurate and performed even more horribly, so I trashed it.

659C741DBD222456CB9342D6712ECCC54EF66B61

Right now I'm trying to decide what the heck I want to do, and given that my rover doesn't work for crap on even remotely hilly terrain due to the TR-2L problem, I think the answer is 'Play Something Else'.

I built my 1st successful VTOL today, and its a seaplane with passenger capacity. So now I can go retrieve Kerbals who splashed down in the ocean nearby. Yay!

I also discovered that the runway at the airfield on the island SE of KSC is more like a dike than a runway--crashed into the side wall before I realized what it was :).

I installed the following mods:

KSPX

Mechjeb 2.0

And I built the Standard Lander Mk1 and the Standard Launcher Mk1.

I attempted to go to the Mun, but I accidentally decoupled my Lander Can Mk2 from the rest of my rocket...

I can't wait for the NovaPunch Pack to update!

Today I re-established my Kethane supply chain, with the newly revamped KAS for vessel-to-vessel transfer. I also discovered that KAS has some... interesting issues when hooking up vessels that are landed. Fortunately I sorted that one out in the end, but for a while there I was worried I wouldn't be able to perform a fuel transfer without knocking my fuel tug over.

Today I... successfully and for the first time ever in my (long) KSP career. Got an SSTO to orbit, completed a full orbit and then landed at KSC perfectly, centered on the runway with no damage to anything, no hacks and no mechjeb or other parts.

B9 Aerospace ftw.

Oh I also ditched a satellite in my 80km circular orbit whilst I was on the way around. Am LOVING b9 parts.

Today I re-established my Kethane supply chain, with the newly revamped KAS for vessel-to-vessel transfer. I also discovered that KAS has some... interesting issues when hooking up vessels that are landed. Fortunately I sorted that one out in the end, but for a while there I was worried I wouldn't be able to perform a fuel transfer without knocking my fuel tug over.

Hook up "undocked" and then flick docked from the GUI after :)

I launched my first rescue mission to pickup a Kerbal stranded in Mun Orbit with Bingo fuel.

I got my unmanned container into a very similar orbit as the stranded craft, just slightly above it. I hope to have a succesful rendesvouz so I can space walk the Kerbal into the shipp for the return home.

Finally landed my unmanned Rizal lander at Moho, with a remote rover attached. Yes, it barely made it--toppled over after landing! This was due to a slope that I didn't notice during the descent. However, the rover managed to get upright when I fired one of the radial engines. So it's now parked and ready to explore the area around its "crash" site. :D

screenshot143i.png

Previously I've built a lot of elaborate multi-part vessels to go places. Now I'm going the opposite route and trying to build a SLTA (Single Launch To Anywhere) ship. The requirements are that it has a 3 kerbal command pod, has a lander that can land on any body (excluding Jool of course), has a rover with at least 3 seats, and can return all 3 kerbals to Kerbin. Landing more than once is not a requirement, and the lander does have a separate ascent stage, leaving the rest of the lander and the rover behind.

So far it has only successfully made it to the Mun and back (with a whole bunch of delta-V remaining). I also made it to Duna, where I ran out of fuel on my descent stage about 100m off the ground. My command module and all 3 Kerbals survived, but the rover was flipped over and also lost its RTG (replacing with solar in the latest version) so wouldn't have had any power even if I could have righted it. As I reviewed that failure, I realized I didn't have enough fuel in the ascent stage to make it back to Duna orbit anyway, so even if I'd made it down in one piece I would've failed. The descent stage probably did have enough to touch down safely if I'd had a better landing spot, but I had to maneuver because I was coming down on a steep hill. All of that needs to be accounted for, so the lander is getting beefed up. It needed to be bigger for future missions on heavier worlds anyway.

After spending some time landing probes on the Mun and Minmus, today I took a huge step towards putting a Kerbal on the Mun; designed and tested a Mun Lander / CSM stack. Kerbal 4 ran through almost all the basic maneuvers for a Munar mission - travelling to the Mun, separating the lander from the booster stage, Munar orbit insertion. Everything worked perfectly. I left the Mun Lander in a 30 km equatorial orbit around the Mun and returned the Kerbal 4 crew back to Kerbin. Kerbal 5 - either tomorrow or Friday, not sure when I'll have the time - will be the big event!

Today I decided to send a Kerbal + rover combo to pretty much the only planet/moon I haven't yet, Eeloo.

eeloo.jpg

Bob Kerman was feeling more cheerful than usual. Possibly because he realized that Jeb was several million kilometers away.

EDIT: It seems Eeloo does not like my rover very much. When loading my save, it consistently blows off one of the wheels from it and sends it flying. Somehow I suspect a combination of the massive distance from the sun coupled with the new geometry multipass functions are to blame...

Edited by SkyRender

Bob Kerman was feeling more cheerful than usual. Possibly because he realized that Jeb was several million kilometers away.

Heh very possible. Nice design by the way. I'm going to have to make an adaptation of that as my rover transporting designs have all been pretty much dismal failures.

The only thing I've done so far today was dock with my unmanned supply station in Munar orbit and drop off some fuel and Kirk & Bartbald Kerman for a long stay. Next step is landing the thing and launching a few more. Hopefully to Duna and the inner planets.

Mundock_zps788939e0.jpg