What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Hi folks.

Last weekend a mission that I started in January came to an successful end. It was my very first attempt to fly a Jool 5 mission.

Xi97I6r.png

Here is a little album with some of the adventures on this endeavour:

After entering the parking orbit around Kerbin a Spacebus came over to ferry the crew (Jeb, Val, Bill, Bob, Geredith, Sitha, Keneny and Alanee) over to a transfer station and from there they took an Orion Personell Transporter down to the Surface. Switching off the lights on the Kubrick got  a surprisingly moving moment, and in this sentimental mood I decided, that just recovering the crew would be a little inadequate after all the time we spent together. So I set up a little welcome committee...

PgROpPc.png

... and sent them on a little caravaning holliday to my favorite spot on Kerbin.

PXEfpuj.png

They have earned some little time off, don´t you think?

That´s what I´ve been doing this week in KSP. Have fun with whatever you´re doin. Cu Mü :wink:

Edited by KerrMü

4 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Too close for missiles, switched to guns. :cool: If you equipped them with cameras, I wonder if they'd keep up diplomatic relations?

Dunno man, but I doubt there's any diplomatic relations since they are drones. But since this is is my first dogfight, I think there's gonna be more testing like this. Anyway, thanks for the info. I assume it was indeed too close for a missile attack since I observed some of them start to get a missile lock while approaching others before suddenly changes to machinegun and flies close to each others

6 hours ago, XB-70A said:

Just realized the second flight of the X-20A this morning (around 06:10 eeerrr...) with a super small 0.9 tons comsat as the payload :

UoXYeOr.png

First stage propelled the craft to 1200 m/s before shutting down. A high kick which was a bit hard to control but which went well.

P.S : it would be so much better if the SRBs, or at least the only the Kickback, were equipped with gimbal servo actuators... just like the real ones boosting the Rockwell Space Shuttle.

4Xlqsku.png

Keeping on accelerating with the second stage and its Swivel while the Sun is rising...

0IBIJYN.png

... then circularizing the orbit at 400 km 15 minutes later. For screenshot reasons I kept the first stage tied for about 20 seconds after it shut down, the time to make the friction disappears. But it also slow down to craft to much and the second stage wasn't able to push the craft at more than 387 km before it stops. So we finished with the spacecraft. But it wasn't a problem so much as the craft still get 2 km/s available after the circularization.

9evv6lB.png

2lr6GWL.png

Releasing MunCom 2. With its single Ant engine and 0.898 units of fuel available it got 4.7 km/s of impulsion available, more than enough for any orbit changes with the futur Mun contracts. 

1kZ3d2z.png

With nothing else to do in space, we came back 1 hours and 48 minutes later, the time to lower the Pe to 180 km and to de-orbit. Reentry started pretty softly, the craft slowing down well, but... as an idiot (and also due to a reflex due to my others space shuttles) I transfer the fuel from the front Mk2 tank to the two circular at the back instead of the opposite! It result in a crazy looping around 13 km...

But the craft (ultra realistically) survived .

xCe50wh.png

Just 37 km before the touch down. This craft is even worse to control than any other one I made before, needing SAS on at any time if you don't want to enter a crazy spin (after all it was designed to land with parachutes). But it stays fun to play with it.

Wfs0FbF.png

It also is a super bad glider. Anyway it made it, nearly reaching the RWY09  before the speed drop to 20 m/s, making it logically falling like a brick.

Despite getting still about the half of its fuel onboard it descended to a "soft" speed of 6.6 m/s, enough to ensure a landing without breaking anything.

wckIqBH.png

FVX0nj5.png

Tadaaaaa... we made it! 1.3 km from the Center and in a Kerbal-like logic "only" 97.9 % recovered. 12 009 funds retrieved, about 50% of the launch price.

do you have any problem if i use your model and improve it to get fuel and kerbals to the odyssey?

Was 1.7 seconds away from slamming into the side of a mountain at 260 m/s due to bad planning. This was after a 45 g entry on a lunar free return trajectory (2.5x scale kerbin system) and a 31 g chute opening 50 meters from the mountain side.

Been working on a script to land a rocket back on the launchpad after its been sent up several kilometers and shifted a bit in some random direction. So far I've got an error range of about 20-30m. I think this is partly, but not due to some bug that results in the place the code thinks the launchpad is (seen by green line) for whatever reason moving east or west of the pad for no obvious reason, despite being locked to the geographic coordinates previously determined to be at the center of the pad. Though most of it is probably due to bad tuning of the PD loop, as it can be seen to land a significant distance away from the green line. A PID loop would be preferable, but I can't figure out how to make that work as horizontal distance from the launchpad is never negative, thus the integral term would never "unwind".

F9w7W6J.jpg

Nope

1evkOSX.jpg

Got lucky this time!

9N9SxiG.jpg

Leaning rocket of Kerbin.

2017-08-04%2021-11-28.png

*Insert Cleveland "No no no no no nooooo!" as rocket slowly tips over*

Planning to do some work on the skin of my Saturn V replica, to see if I can make it less ugly.

15 hours ago, Spaceman17 said:

do you have any problem if i use your model and improve it to get fuel and kerbals to the odyssey?

Absolutely not, you're totally free. I get in the minds to upload it tomorrow on KerbalX for fun, maybe you could get it like this? A lot of things could be improved indeed, it was originally supposed to get a shielded docking port at its nose for crew transfers as I chose to place a small cargo bay for payload but also for a small 2 seats Mk1 cabin instead. In case of a landing without any payload or fuel a single parachute is enough, but would have to be perfectly placed at its CoM. Also two reaction wheels are placed in the front Mk2 fuel tank to help stabilize during the reentry if its empty but could be removed. And, still about docking, it already is equipped with six RCS ports for maneuvers.

The SRB first stage is mainly due to the need of a cheap launching cost but better choices are available. 

Here it is : https://kerbalx.com/XB-70A/Sleg-X-20A-Brokk

Edited by XB-70A
Adding the craft link

5 hours ago, KerrMü said:

caravaning

GASP. Who would do such an evil thing, clogging up motorways and stuff?

5 hours ago, ARS said:

I assume it was indeed too close for a missile attack since I observed some of them start to get a missile lock while approaching others before suddenly changes to machinegun and flies close to each others

You can try setting the gunrange lower to give it more time for missiles. Honestly though, missiles tend to miss, and are not super useful.

Edited by qzgy

9 minutes ago, qzgy said:

You can try setting the gunrange lower to give it more time for missiles. Honestly though, missiles tend to miss, and are not super useful.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. It's just to make the battle more interesting when they fire missiles to each others than just firing their guns

I modeled and textured my mk1 Launch Escape System and got it into the game:

JwQnW6e.png

tDI6a5l.png

xVoPuUP.png

It is designed to fit over the stock mk16 parachute (there'll be a node to make that happen). I have to wire up the launch escape part module, but the LES is almost ready for BARIS (a new feature for M.O.L.E). :)

Edited by Angel-125

42 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

I modeled and textured my mk1 Launch Escape System and got it into the game:

JwQnW6e.png

-snip-

-snip-

Do you use a tablet or mouse for textures? its taken me an hour to get half of a 1024 panel texture atlas done with a mouse.

8 hours ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

Been working on a script to land a rocket back on the launchpad after its been sent up several kilometers and shifted a bit in some random direction. So far I've got an error range of about 20-30m. I think this is partly, but not due to some bug that results in the place the code thinks the launchpad is (seen by green line) for whatever reason moving east or west of the pad for no obvious reason, despite being locked to the geographic coordinates previously determined to be at the center of the pad. Though most of it is probably due to bad tuning of the PD loop, as it can be seen to land a significant distance away from the green line. A PID loop would be preferable, but I can't figure out how to make that work as horizontal distance from the launchpad is never negative, thus the integral term would never "unwind".

I recently made this. Yeah the code is REALLY ugly but it works (most of the time). But my point was that you can use ship:geoposition:lng and ship:geoposition:lat coordinates for the loop and compare those to the latitude and longitude of the launchpad. That way you get negative values as well :)

Today I started (and finished) testing of my Duna lander to use it in career. It went to Duna well. Then I tried to aerobrake, it didn't went as planed because ti went to low in atmosphere, but it survived and successfully landed. Then I realised that my Mk16-XL chutes, that I need to help me slow down back on Kerbin, will be thrown away with engines and other garbage. :( 

So I terminated this ship and enjoyed killing Jeb and Bob  brave Jeb and Bob were killed in action (sadly).

But thank Kraken (and power of editing saves) I managed to resurect Jeb and Bob successfully.

Then I deleted this save because nothing more needed to be tested...

2 hours ago, tseitsei89 said:

<snip>

Ah yes I saw that. Might take a look at the workings of that. Will have to watch a landing vid or try it myself to be sure, but I think my landing strategy might be different. Mine uses a Vernor RCS system to tilt the rocket and use aerodynamics to move it from side to side as needed, and only turns on the engines at the last second (TWR never dips below 5 or so during landing burn). Though perhaps a combination is best, perhaps arresting the vertical motion 10m or so above the surface, then using another loop to remove any remaining error, as it might actually not be practical to use aerodynamics as precisely as I'm trying to.

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139

8 hours ago, /not/pol/ said:

Do you use a tablet or mouse for textures? its taken me an hour to get half of a 1024 panel texture atlas done with a mouse.

I currently use a mouse to create the textures. I would like to use a tablet someday, preferably one with a screen.

8 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Does it go straight or have that obnoxious and useless-at-low-alt spinny thing like the stock one?

Without SAS, the LES will gently arch your capsule away from the booster. With SAS it will veer slightly away from straight ahead. It works great for the mk1 capsule and works well for the 1.875m Brumby (the larger two-seater in the pictures).

12 hours ago, XB-70A said:

Absolutely not, you're totally free. I get in the minds to upload it tomorrow on KerbalX for fun, maybe you could get it like this? A lot of things could be improved indeed, it was originally supposed to get a shielded docking port at its nose for crew transfers as I chose to place a small cargo bay for payload but also for a small 2 seats Mk1 cabin instead. In case of a landing without any payload or fuel a single parachute is enough, but would have to be perfectly placed at its CoM. Also two reaction wheels are placed in the front Mk2 fuel tank to help stabilize during the reentry if its empty but could be removed. And, still about docking, it already is equipped with six RCS ports for maneuvers.

The SRB first stage is mainly due to the need of a cheap launching cost but better choices are available. 

Here it is : https://kerbalx.com/XB-70A/Sleg-X-20A-Brokk

well, that's the modifications i made:

it has that shielded docking port in the nose, has 4 parachutes, 1 terrier engine, 4 rcs block thruster + 4 linear rcs thrusters, has this fuel tank on the front and one behind the bay, the bay is still the same, has two small winglets for more drag at reentry, it recovers all at exception of the terrier engine (unless have less fuel onboard, or simply not fuel) has 2 retractable solar pannels and batteries enough to get to the dark side or a reentry, made a version with capacity for 4 kerbals but no cargo, the launcher is not the same i'm using the same launcher than the CST-100 with what has enuff potence to get to keosyncronous orbit, called your shuttle RLV (reusable launch vehicle)

that's all yet

10 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Does it go straight or have that obnoxious and USELESS-at-low-alt spinny thing like the stock one?

is not useless, it helps to go away the rocket in case of that explodes, ading realism

Montage of the last few days . managed to get the part count down to 83 thanks to UbioWeld Continued so it loads a lot quicker , next up is to sort out some proper landing bays so i can actually use them properly .. No hacks or cheats either , does take a whole load of extra engines to lift off from kerbin , Dry mass is under 19,000,000 and doesn't wreck the runway sitting there with no landing legs , which i'm amazed an confused about in equal measure .

Edited by Puggonaut 2

Last night I tweaked.....even more engines! :P 

I messed with some Z-Things and made LFO versions of Karbonite's rocket engines including the use of the blue texture from the KLF series LF-consuming jet engines.

dWfMgQr.jpg

This lunacy has 1.5 TWR at launch and 5km/s dV.... To be fair this 9-engine cluster is about as much as a Mammoth wrapped with 4 Vectors.

8YICsBn.jpg

9 minutes ago, Puggonaut said:

No hacks or cheats either

I believe I recognize some parts on your (awesome) mothership that look like certain fuel generators. :wink: And I admire how well B9 HX and OPT can fit together.