What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Out of the V4, built a stock V8.

Specs:

Cylinder bank angle: 90°.
Piston drivers: 8x Panther in dry mode.
Stroke: 90cm.
Bore: We don't have compression so it doesn't matter.
Crankshaft: Standard crossplane.
Camshafts: 2.
Conrods: fork/blade type, this way the cylinder banks are evenly placed.
Main crankshaft bearings: 5x6 RCS balls.
Crank bearings: 8x20 RCS balls.
Max engine speed: 12.5 rad/s (120 rpm).
Economy cruise: throttle at 50%.
Top speed: ~18 m/s.
Propeller: 8 blades, fully adjustable.
Part count: 568.

The Goliath is just the air intake, it receives no fuel.

Edited by Azimech

Today I'm endurance testing my Quasar Carrier (and yes that's the actual Star Wars name for this design).  It's a pure stock aircraft that carries two small fighters (an A-Wing and a Y-Wing) which can air launch.  It also has over 25K liquid fuel and and on-board ISRU which gives it basically an unlimited range around Kerbin.  Unfortunately the latest test ended in tragedy around the 30 minute mark - it's going to be a long time testing this puppy.

No automatic alt text available.

Image may contain: sky, nature and outdoor

Image may contain: ocean, sky, water and outdoor

- Jett

UPDATE:  The second test also ended in failure when I ran into a mountain at the 10 minute mark (while I was posting this).  I do need to pay closer attention while this thing is flying.  I also figured out a problem with the fuel flow priority that led to the first "incident"

Edited by Jett_Quasar

PART THREE: Munar Station Mk2, Fuel Reserve depot, and refueling Spirit of Jebediah

The final part of my Munar mission was to place a second habitat / refueling station in equatorial orbit. After finding a fatal flaw in the design of the solar panels for the Mk1 Munar Station, KSC determined that it was better to send a more advanced (ahem, fully-fuctional) orbiting station to the Mun. Sadly, the Mk1 was completely destroyed in an intentional test of super-low munar orbits (periapsis got down to ~1200m before hitting a mountain).

Never fear! The KSC had a bigger and better plan: more fuel capacity, plus a secondary objective of orbiting a Fuel Reserve (i.e. unused fuel from a Heavy Lifter main/transfer stage that has about 12000 units of LFO remaining).

epNIfPq.jpg

The launch sequence was picture perfect (see below).

Spoiler

6CncyFA.jpg

G1uz7sP.jpg

frFXxnm.jpg

gdWKNVa.jpg

Stable orbit achieved - she's a big one!

WCRSo63.jpg

Once in orbit, testing of the Fuel Depot stage began. It's a 10m-sized stage that includes a probe core, large rechargeable battery, and four large solar panels. It also includes 2 Sr-sized docking ports and 2 standard docking ports. The engine stage will also separate.

1mR9El0.jpg

nGfh3cu.jpg

olgioSG.jpg

With final testing complete, it's time to head to the Mun!

NAV9Hde.jpg

Once at the Mun, the Fuel Reserve depot was placed in equatorial orbit (see below)

Spoiler

Fl0QzV6.jpg

2FPSXhW.jpg

mcAAcnm.jpg

rv3p17o.jpg

CJ01fsD.jpg

Hello from the Mun! The last portion of this mission was to rendezvous the Spirit of Jebediah with the new Munar station, top off the tanks, and transfer some crew to the station.

z2fppaS.jpg

What's up next for KSA-01 Spirit of Jebediah?

For the moment, it's back to Kerbin for this crew. It will primarily operate between LKO and the Mun, since it has just enough DV to do one-way trips and then refuel.

But insights of this mission are already going towards a larger, multi-function craft to colonize Minmus and beyond!

Edited by scottadges

59 minutes ago, scottadges said:

Seriously, you build the most amazing stuff! This thing is huge. That's the carrier from Star Wars Rebels, right?

Yup the one from Rebels - but the A-Wing isn't mine I got that from a guy on Kerbal-X named Snickersnee.  You can download it HERE, the rest of the stuff should be coming out in the next week or so.

- Jett

16 hours ago, Azimech said:

Out of the V4, built a stock V8.

Specs:

Cylinder bank angle: 90°.
Piston drivers: 8x Panther in dry mode.
Stroke: 90cm.
Bore: We don't have compression so it doesn't matter.
Crankshaft: Standard crossplane.
Camshafts: 2.
Conrods: fork/blade type, this way the cylinder banks are evenly placed.
Main crankshaft bearings: 5x6 RCS balls.
Crank bearings: 8x20 RCS balls.
Max engine speed: 12.5 rad/s (120 rpm).
Economy cruise: throttle at 50%.
Top speed: ~18 m/s.
Propeller: 8 blades, fully adjustable.
Part count: 568.

The Goliath is just the air intake, it receives no fuel.

what the... will some one give this guy a real job...he makes my head hurt..8)

Waiting for a contract that didn't involve messing up my satellite network for a nickle and a few words of praise. Got one in the end, before my first Mun landing. Land a massive beast of a base on Mun... that will have to wait. I will definitely welcome any tweaking of the available contract mechanism.

Installed SVE (stock Visual Enhancements) and Scatterer, and WOW what a difference they make.

Sadly my home internet is having issues, and as such I don't have the comparison pictures I'd hoped to have.  Should be able to upload them within a few days though :)

Also still been working with my ocean-bound ships, and starting in-water testing of the latest (and largest) research vessel, the RV-4 Damascus.  Original testing showed that it really enjoyed capsizing and smashing everything on the upper deck, including the bridge and scientific gear.  This issue has since been remedied (hopefully!) and the ship is gearing up for it's maiden voyage, which, by standard procedure, is a quick hop over to the Island Airfield to test stability, stopping, maneuvering, and docking/undocking of auxiliary vessels.

built a dune buggy with roll cage and tested it out. its was built using just tweak scale mod.

CDB1CA73924CCB42E35179025D5F7CEE78E51BD7

i used alt f12 to bring it to duna and see how it performs being dropped in

AA5F45025BC36AF182B676951688A5BC06F026BE

decouple the crane right before the wheels touch the ground and it flies away

D41D6B63F93FE8FE0D89C80D974C1C482369B6D9

lights on....we look  totally badass

8A4C9C212F9C84FC19D16C2790990547EF0AFEF1

it does all the basic science plus drill rocks, and shoot lasers,

E1459BC0364B1550A4C33C7558A4B3D733AE8A1C

6EB6368F823863EF58D2AA6E55972D28BC5BFE9B

so nows lets try to destroy it, because we all know any rovers life expectancy is about 30 seconds after it lands. valentina was killed the moment it flipped but the rover has only small damage.

9B688157B4AE9D9574AF05B14A9A525000307ACF

i spent the next 10min trying my hardest to destroy it

1CF8FFE0F56BBAA3C4CBA4C3BBE0DDE1A24B0839

no matter what i did the roll cage protected it and i could not destroy the main structure, i think we found a keeper.

A5E2224F9C57EB8F59C6E552F5F572E79478DFEA

I put up a new munar relay satellite, munar orbiter 3, I also put up a new polar satellite around kerbin that orbits at around 750.000 meters called anticonsat 4. Oh and I also found the UFO Easter egg at kerbin's North Pole.

26 minutes ago, invision said:

built a dune buggy with roll cage and tested it out. its was built using just tweak scale mod.

CDB1CA73924CCB42E35179025D5F7CEE78E51BD7

i used alt f12 to bring it to duna and see how it performs being dropped in

AA5F45025BC36AF182B676951688A5BC06F026BE

decouple the crane right before the wheels touch the ground and it flies away

D41D6B63F93FE8FE0D89C80D974C1C482369B6D9

lights on....we look  totally badass

8A4C9C212F9C84FC19D16C2790990547EF0AFEF1

it does all the basic science plus drill rocks, and shoot lasers,

E1459BC0364B1550A4C33C7558A4B3D733AE8A1C

6EB6368F823863EF58D2AA6E55972D28BC5BFE9B

so nows lets try to destroy it, because we all know any rovers life expectancy is about 30 seconds after it lands. valentina was killed the moment it flipped but the rover has only small damage.

9B688157B4AE9D9574AF05B14A9A525000307ACF

i spent the next 10min trying my hardest to destroy it

1CF8FFE0F56BBAA3C4CBA4C3BBE0DDE1A24B0839

no matter what i did the roll cage protected it and i could not destroy the main structure, i think we found a keeper.

A5E2224F9C57EB8F59C6E552F5F572E79478DFEA

what mods were those parts from?

Edited by anti_con2

3 minutes ago, anti_con2 said:

I put up a new munar relay satellite, munar orbiter 3, I also put up a new polar satellite around kerbin that orbits at around 750.000 meters called anticonsat 4. Oh and I also found the UFO Easter egg at kerbin's North Pole.

what mods were those parts from?

D-magic orbital science, its pretty neat  and gives you more science equipment that more todays standard.