What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

27 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Made progress on DSEV's Mk1-3 "Estonian" command pod:

yo1yeoA.png

Seats 8. :)

That's a nice looking pod! It looks like a 2.5m module. If that's the case, I'd love to see the IVA because I wonder how you could cram 8 kerbals in there! :-)

5 hours ago, Zeiss Ikon said:

You mean the conjoined tourist bus?  I've tested it; flies exactly like the single-stack version, not very surprisingly.

Not because it wouldn't fly, but it would be a sight to behold. I don't know why, but I like the "contraptions" that can do what it's supposed to do despite looking like a hunk of junk. More impressive for me. Yes, the professional-looking, nicely designed spaceplanes are super awesome, but I like the idea of getting somewhere extreme in a spaceship that doesn't look like it can get there by itself. It's like: "You got there in THAT? HOW!?"

Basicly this means Kerbal-looking to me

Lots of developments this time. First of all, I sent a ship to Eeloo.

y6gT29Y.png

This craft has all the equipment I need to run a mining operation. It's got a surface base with a drill and ISRU, a tanker ship to transport fuel from the surface into orbit and a fuel depot station to make that fuel easily accessible to arriving ships. It's being propelled by the newly-launched prototype of my new model of large-scale tug (which I posted testing screenshots of previously in this thread.) I had to make a couple of revisions to the tug since that last posting, most notably a set of struts that were needed to prevent its NERV engines from wobbling during burns. This unfortunately brought its weight up to slightly more than the tug it's replacing, but it also has a larger monopropellant capacity than its predecessor (160 units vs. 120 units) and when I drain its tanks to an amount equivalent to that craft's maximum capacity it ends up being lighter again.

The Eeloo ship was just a warm-up, though, and honestly could have waited for another transfer window or two before launching. However, just after the Eeloo window arrived a transfer window to Jool opened up.

Kyhyc4G.jpg

"It's fifty-five million kilometres to Jool. We've got a full tank of liquid fuel, 1500 units of ore, it's dark and we're wearing spacesuits."

bmQYHSr.jpg

QWQQIj7.jpg

"Hit it."

So after spending years sending unmanned equipment shipments to Jool, it's finally time to send some Kerbals to play with the toys orbiting (or en route to) the Gassy Green Giant.

The first ship is crewed by Natalie Kerman (Scientist,) Harburry Kerman (Scientist) and Bardun Kerman (Engineer,) all fresh from their training missions on the Mun and Minmus, along with more seasoned explorers Mitfen Kerman (Scientist,) Matuki Kerman (Scientist) and Linia Kerman (Pilot.)

It consists of a command/science module for Foothold Station along with a "portable station," a minimalistic one-piece space station intended to be transported via tug between Tylo, Vall and Bop in order to support science landings there (as I have no plans for permanent stations around those bodies.) This ship had to use a bit of an unusual launch procedure as it didn't carry enough liquid fuel to make the trip. Instead, it took advantage of the fact that the portable station contains an ISRU unit along with a 2.5m ore tank, allowing it to manufacture its own fuel during the trip. It couldn't generate liquid fuel quickly enough to keep up with the rate that it was being burnt by the tug, though, so it needed two burns to eject itself from Kerbin.

The second ship is crewed by Geldra Kerman (Scientist,) Gracy Kerman (Pilot,) Gillene Kerman (Pilot,) Wilalla Kerman (Engineer,) Diella Kerman (Scientist) and Ronfurt Kerman (Engineer.) It consists of a habitation module and power-communications strut for Laythe Station, a ship intended to land on Tylo and return to orbit, along with a pair of FL-T100 fuel tanks with docking ports on either side that serve no purpose other than providing a part that can be returned to Kerbin after landing on Tylo and Laythe.

While still on the subject of Jool, one of my previous missions to the planet has arrived. Sort of.

lUyWIWG.jpg

This ship, consisting of a core module for Foothold Station (freeing it from its reliance on docked vessels for probe cores,) the beginnings of Laythe Station and a Beetle SSTO modified for operations on Laythe captured successfully at Jool and put itself on an encounter trajectory with Pol, however either due to insufficient testing before launch or inefficient burns en route it ended up not having enough fuel to slow itself down to an orbital speed over the tiny moon. I had to detach most of the payload, leaving it orbiting Jool, and just bring the tug and one of the station cores with me to rendezvous with the station.

5d4cIZ8.png

After docking, I immediately re-filled the tug's fuel tank with the fuel stores on the station and sent it off to re-capture its drifting cargo.

fxmgs8o.jpg

Hopefully it'll be able to complete the trip this time, but I'd settle for just getting the equipment onto an orbit that doesn't intersect with Tylo's. At least then it'll be able to stay on a stable orbit around Jool without much risk of being ejected into a solar orbit or put on a collision course with Jool or one of its moons.

So today I did another flight test of the KSSP-Aeronaut I, my space place capable of orbit but instead of using the amazing Dark Matter Engines I put some Aerospikes to see how it handle. I still need to work the fact that it's not very stable to fly in high altitude and very good in low altitude when the fuel is low.

38148336381_a2d8bf870e_o.pngKSSP-Aeronaut I 

Also added more tanks to the Alpha Station around Kerbin to be able to build bigger things with more RocketParts.

26371840159_a40886c912_o.pngKSST-Alpha Station

And here is a view from inside the KSST-Konstructor I, a space station designed specifically to build things in orbit of Kerbin(for the moment). More to come in the future...

38148338931_c9edb1beef_o.pngBill and tourists

Oh yeah I'm having a bunch of tourist doing a space camp on that station. This is Bill and two other tourists.

Today was the first [official] flight of the new Atlas V launch vehicle:

The configuration you see here is an Atlas V 402 (4m fairing diameter // 0 solid boosters // 2 RL10 upper stage engines), and the payload was a two ton satellite with orbital experiments.

6p9A0Tg.jpg

Ignition and lift-off!

v8rdcTP.jpg

The rocket headed north-east in order to reach a 48 degree inclined orbit.

tTgXyvu.jpg

First stage separation and fairing opening.

xOJxmwv.jpg 

Almost in orbit....

4tRk3ev.jpg

After reaching orbit, the centaur boosted the satellite to the apoapsis and released it.

a7H1nBO.jpg

The satellite circularized and the contract was completed.

Edited by Julien Kerman

Managed to crash a kOS script so hard the game crashed. Not exactly sure what happened there, as it worked perfectly fine once I rebooted the game.

GCxGPCP.jpg

huBgBsB.jpg

Had a pretty sunrise on a low pass of Kerbin in my shuttle. 

Anyways, tomorrow I'll probably finish off this shuttle mission. I'm bringing back a 40 ton tank from a 331km orbit, which gives the shuttle an amazing amount of kinetic energy. Trajectory predictions show that if I deorbit and put my periapsis at the usual 35km, and  the thing will skip like a stone off the atmosphere again and again, circumnavigating the planet and then some, compared to the usual 1/3rd circumnavigation that I get unloaded. Might be partially because I have to us a lower angle of attack than normal because of its effects on shuttle's stability.

I'm thinking that before my next mission I'll add a small, empty tank to the nose to allow better trim with leftover fuel reserves. I'm fine flying with aft cg, but I really wouldn't want to fly anything with cg farther aft than this. 

Took two science modules up into space- one for kerbin, the other for the mun. I had to re-launch once and reload once before finally figuring out when I decoupled the first payload it would dock to other every time. Darn things....

26380526139_e084f7d461_b.jpg

After getting the two science modules up a falcon heavy brought two newbies up to the kerbin station and Bob to the mun station.

38125591582_f4d8bd2ceb_b.jpg

26380786599_13acf56a2c_b.jpg

Sent a dragon1 to deliver some supplies to the kerbin station.

38125426622_7278728ea5_b.jpg

Then I decided to play with some super unrealistic airplanes.

Cruising at mach5. Not sure the limits of this beast. I lost a kerbal after the mark-1 disintegrated in a three engine version.

38125469722_6e2682cbbe_b.jpg

Cockpit got to hot so I decided why not crash land on that island down there.

24305036088_b8c7c4b9a5_b.jpg

38102113786_2364046e77_b.jpg

This just didn't go well, while I'm checking out the aerodynamics my wings decide to disintegrate.

38125531172_656140a146_b.jpg

48 minutes ago, qromodynmc said:

I reattemted to make my favourie ww2 plane.

*snip

You attempted exceedingly well :)

That plane looks like making sex with ksp parts. 

EDIT: And I seriously read "Makes planes sexier than your gf." after posting that^ ironic
EDIT 2: My Gf does look sexier tbh, but that are fine details.

Edited by Helmetman

So I launched something in KSP today...

https://imgur.com/9DiILPR

Damnit how do you make it so imgur images get directly displayed in the post again??

Anyways. Behold Harrow Orbital. My by far biggest launch yet at a payload of 300+ tonnes. It took me 45 minutes to complete the launch, or roughly eight minutes of in-game time. Harrow Orbital is a Gaja-class mobile station and deep space explorer. She serves as a bridge head for colonisation endeavours with her on-board mapping equipment and fuel refinery. She also is a home away from home for up to 144 Kerbonauts plus four bridge crew members under Commander "Val" Valentina. These stations are launched in one gargantuan event. No in-orbit assembly required. Harrow Orbital's launch went relatively well, but she did lose one solar array during a booster separation mishap. The support girder that connects the booster stage with the ring and prevents wobbling shaved it clean off. Kind of annoying, but did Skylab not have similar issues and still worked?

With the exhausting launch done, the station is now moving into a setup phase. More crew and equipment will be sent up while I make up my mind on where Harrow Orbital will go first. It needs to be a place with easily accessible fuel supply that would simultaneously be interesting for colonisation. I also have NO CLUE on how much delta V I have to work with. I will try to calculate it but I suck at maths so hard :( Then again the KSP Devs want us to use trial and error...

So, I am planning this right now:

-Fix the issue with the booster separation damaging the solar array

-Find out how much delta V a Gaja station holds

-Design and test a shuttle of some kind to transfer crew to and from the station

-Design and test an ore shuttle that can bring ore from a moon of choice to the station for refining (I will aim for a low-gravity moon here to make the transfer as efficient as possible), or

-Design an adapter that allows me to hook onto an asteroid and mine it dry since a class C one is on a close trajectory and would be a cool destination as well

Here you have more pictures. Until I find out how you display images instantly, feel free to use the links :)

https://imgur.com/v7MNd4Q

https://imgur.com/NWFSPp1

P.S. If someone has a link / file to Environment Visual Enhancement for KSP 1.0.5 or something and is willing to share it with me, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Done in KSP 1.0.5 sandbox.

Edited by The Budgey Admiral

On 11/3/2017 at 2:28 AM, Angel-125 said:

Made progress on DSEV's Mk1-3 "Estonian" command pod:

yo1yeoA.png

Seats 8. :)

Neat.

However... (not sure how to say this nicely, so I just go ahead and say it) from a player perspective, this is just another bog-standard command pod the likes of which there are many already. They're all different yet very much the same, and the one thing they have in common is that they rarely fit. Command pods bring a unique mixture of resources and capabilities, and, more often than not, it's not really what I need.

As a user I'm pretty excited by Tiktaalik's  ModPod project, bringing at least some modularity and versatility to command modules. It's sufficiently far ahead to be usable to and show the tremendous potential of the approach. Now, I can't tell you how to spend your time, and whom you collaborate with. But if you could have a look at the pack? Maybe it can be suited / adapted to your needs.

26 minutes ago, Laie said:

Neat.

However... (not sure how to say this nicely, so I just go ahead and say it) from a player perspective, this is just another bog-standard command pod the likes of which there are many already. They're all different yet very much the same, and the one thing they have in common is that they rarely fit. Command pods bring a unique mixture of resources and capabilities, and, more often than not, it's not really what I need.

As a user I'm pretty excited by Tiktaalik's  ModPod project, bringing at least some modularity and versatility to command modules. It's sufficiently far ahead to be usable to and show the tremendous potential of the approach. Now, I can't tell you how to spend your time, and whom you collaborate with. But if you could have a look at the pack? Maybe it can be suited / adapted to your needs.

Thanks for the feedback.

1st Polar Mun Expedition comes to end, 4 biomes collected, time to go home now. Hopper final docking process in action it will fully loaded  it's tanks with a monopropellant fuel and will wait there.. for the second expedition.

screenshot1197.jpg
screenshot1204.jpg

Edited by Andrey.gr