What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Sent Jeb, Bill and Bob to the Mun.  They docked with the orbital Mun Lab:

2IzYT7A.png

And then Jeb & Bill took the reusable Munar Lander down.  Jeb was able to seat-of-the-spacesuit land within 400 m of a decent stage from a previous Direct Ascent Mun Mission (the old stage is near the horizon to the left):

nF3mAcS.png

After inspecting the descent stage they returned to the orbital lab and departed for home.

qU00eeS.png

Old KSC is just jinxed for me... 3 cargo planes sent out there, all 3 crashed. Part of the problem was the wings going poof!, which was a heating problem... 2 of the planes succumbed to this less than 100km out from the runway. The 3rd just crashed outright on the runway... my fault, coming in too fast, late in the flair. The cargo bays survived however, at least until I tried to release the cargo - 4 little rover buggies - and then the whole mess went kerboom! Kinda disappointing, especially being the flights take a while at around 300m/s. I'm not giving up though... I'll try again tomorrow.

:/

On 12/10/2017 at 2:59 AM, Julien Kerman said:

Today I sent a probe to the dwarf planet Makemake:

GbwCpw3.jpg

VznPEzF.jpg

Arrival in T- 23 years 

That's a lot of rocket for a tiny payload :D  was this a New Horizons "go like a bat outa hell" launch profile?

32 minutes ago, Tyko said:

That's a lot of rocket for a tiny payload :D  was this a New Horizons "go like a bat outa hell" launch profile?

@Julien Kerman: I agree. As that seems to be an S-IV, I wonder why you didn't put on another Centaur? Actually, for that payload Saturn1+Centaur would probably have served you better than a full Saturn-5.

1 hour ago, Tyko said:

@Julien Kerman: I agree. As that seems to be an S-IV, I wonder why you didn't put on another Centaur? Actually, for that payload Saturn1+Centaur would probably have served you better than a full Saturn-5.

@Laie : Just for the record, I wasn't critiquing his choice. I was asking about why he made the choice he did so I could learn.  :D

Edited by Tyko

Today I tested my rover based on NASA's Curiosity. It's still work in progress, but has most of major components. I gave up on building a functional rocker-bogie suspension because of Infernal Robotics made parts of suspension wiggle all over the place. Instead I focused on the robotic arm and the mast. 

dB8IrrD.png

I added that procedural tank as a ballast, so that rover weighs exactly 899 kg.

MNodBRt.png

It's my first selfie in KSP. :D

Nvi4EbG.png

Setting up the robotic arm took me 7 minutes.

2 hours ago, Tyko said:

Just for the record, I wasn't critiquing his choice. I was asking about why he made the choice he did so I could learn.  :D

Edited 2 hours ago by Tyko

The direct transfer to Makemake without Jupiter gravity assist takes around 10k m/s deltaV, this is why I chose the Saturn V and didnt go with a Saturn IB. :D

Edited by Julien Kerman

Hey all Kerbalutes.

Long time no playing, no posting.

I am relearning what I used to know....

And today Valentina did something new. To me.

She landed on Moho. With 232 DeltaV left.

Q2mGp19g.png

A few mistakes were made. Too much Oxydizer was carried for instance. Or is it too much LF was burned?

Valentina is taking Bill on a Grand Tour. https://imgur.com/a/2RDpz

One was done once before but I could not land. Moho was a flyby that time.

Never could upscale scale up the one pilot spaceplane before. Somehow I did this time.

So far:

Mun Landed

Minmus Landed

Eve Orbited

Gilly Landed

Moho Landed

Next:

Duna. Maybe Ike first. Will see.

ME

Edited by Martian Emigrant

Been prototyping a few new TIE fighters...

NUc2Kwk.png

gbTnPGn.png

zKU4WGl.png

SmCcqIg.png

SrtgTjN.png

bi9aLHq.png

Aerodynamics is a bit of an issue with some of these, ESPECIALLY the first one, which is a TIE/D Defender. It's supposed to be an incredibly advanced, fast, and maneuverable craft, but KSP says otherwise. The smaller TIE Ravager is...okay. Meanwhile, the TIE Subjugator - which is an improved Defender - is by far the best and actually performs quite well in-atmosphere. The one issue is that its landing gear had to be put on its bottom wing, which made the craft very sensitive to landings as slow as 15 m/s. To compensate for this, I built in a system that would allow the TIE Subjugator to suddenly halt and gently parachute down to the ground, where it would land on extended landing legs attached to 3 of its wings. Then, it would tip over onto its wheels and be ready to fly off again. I'm not kidding when I say that I spent at least an HOUR on that landing mechanism, and it's STILL not finished. Once I complete the TIE Subjugator, I will be working on three more prototype craft: the TIE Annihilator, TIE Oblivion, and TIE Harbinger. The Annihilator is actually almost finished, while the other two await construction. I'll also get the TIE Ravager fixed up (if I can) and maybe do some improvements to the TIE Slicer, which I've posted before.

i accepted a contract to put a base on duna. because i was already preparing for that anyways. then i read after accepting that it has to be a "mobile base" and if i decline i will probably lose half my budget if not all... i have 25 ingame years tho so that should be fine.

so that's interesting... anyways the plan for some other day is to first put down a lab on legs, together with an ore scanner. i will assemble living quarters on the sides. and finally i will attach two uber wheel modules at both end.... how much fuel did i need to have in it again? i swear if i have to have it carry it 6k fuel!!.. nah game wouldn't be so cruel woul.... *remembers a mission appear to test paraxchutes in jool under 34 kilometers* oh.... i should check that when i continue work on that project

i also earned like 3 million by completing 3 seismic survey missions on minmus with a rover...

Spent an unjustifiably large amount of time moving a landed rover 6km closer to KSC...

EyRX6Gs.jpg

With increasing public pressure to bring the Europa Rover back to ground, it started to make good financial sense to send up a larger version of the Kitty Grabber, first used to deorbit Tinlion after his successful scouting of the saturnian moons. The landing prediction was no more accurate this time around and indeed Rover ended up several kilometres from the landing pad. Unlike Tinlion, he arrives in pretty battered shape, with 3 out of 4 paws wheels inoperable. 

Normally we'd just drive an engineer out to fix them, but standard operating procedures prevents us from operating a rover on Earth without an engineer aboard - and we just yesterday launched two of our three available engineers into space (pics to follow later... got out of sync, sorry!)  With only one left, there seems to be no logical way to bring Rover home, and it looks like it will have to be returned by a third party delivery company.

Unless...

YT33iu8.jpg

Never underestimate the power of leaving Doohan Kerman in the design shed overnight when a rover's life depends on it. Her solution turns out to be surprisingly effective, given its total lack of articulation, and the manoeuvre is only complicated by Rover's broken paws wheels causing him to slowly slide down the slope as she approaches.

Despite this annoyance, Doohan manages to snare the wayward rover on the third attempt - promptly breaking his last paw wheel in the process. Poor Rover has taken a bit of a beating, but at least he's now on his way back to the vet repair bay.

9CkHGVN.jpg

It takes all six of Pupper Fetcher's six-wheel-drive to get the combined weight up the slope to the runway, but soon the valiant rover has been delivered back to KSC, free of charge. After a systems check and decontamination, Rover is transferred to the London Museum, and now lives in the cafe area where he is prodded daily by curious kerbal children who dream of the day when they too can go to Europa and attempt a landing there.

Edited by eddiew

Today the HOTH received a new refuelling boom, visible on its starboard side (left of the picture).

0D901B00DF700265319E513E1B43D40B1B5376DA

Shortly after the first two storage tanks- one RCS and one liquid fuel/oxidiser- were sent up, as was an AX-1 shuttle on a crew change flight.

The shuttle launching:

84BD890EF84D25F9E6B5CF5EAF348C41EC95E61D

And docked:

1F2AC0CF18108D97D377CDD8F39B56E2F2124A0C

The two storage tanks are clearly visible in the foreground attached to the boom. They were launched individually as unmanned craft and manoeuvred into place by means of egregious use of MechJeb. The actual 'craft' part was then jettisoned, leaving only the tanks.

Edited by Inverurie Jones

Got some more done on DSEV's habitat ring:

jWr3RDF.png

This is the backside of the centrifuge. Just need to finish the front side and add the struts, the animate the thing...

I decided to dispense with the inflatable hab ring from NAUTILUS-X because I wanted the kerbalized Nautilus to have a look that's reminiscent of the nautilus sea creature with its hard shell. The bellows aren't as armored as the rest of the ring but that's ok, I like the contrast. :)

Edited by Angel-125

3 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

I decided to dispense with the inflatable hab ring from NAUTILUS-X because I wanted the kerbalized Nautilus to have a look that's reminiscent of the nautilus sea creature with its hard shell. The bellows aren't as armored as the rest of the ring but that's ok, I like the contrast. :)

I too like the contrast. Although what may have been neat is to have armor plates on the bellows... IDK, personal choice. Also, wouldn't a flexible bellow like the bulge a bit from the internal pressure? Or am I being crazy?

1 minute ago, qzgy said:

I too like the contrast. Although what may have been neat is to have armor plates on the bellows... IDK, personal choice. Also, wouldn't a flexible bellow like the bulge a bit from the internal pressure? Or am I being crazy?

Well it would bulge a bit but I figure that once the bellows have extended, the crew can add internal bulkheads to make a more solid pressure seal and a nice walkway. There's more to just unfolding the centrifuge; some assembly required. :)

4 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Watch an accordion being played (preferably with the sound off), it doesn’t bow out despite being under pressure cuz the structure gives it some rigidity. It’s entire plausible @Angel-125‘s accordion-o-fuge is actually made of solid panels with flexible hinges between them.... or y’all are just thinking about it way too hard. :wink:

on a completely unrelated note, @eddiew, what editor do you use to put your stuff together, specifically the text? I’ve been trying to figure out GIMP but adding text is a bit... tedious. :mad: