What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Continued construction of the KSS:

ZDFDt2a.png

bhBGooL.png

Then resumed test flights of my SSTO.  This is the same design as the last test flight, this time testing the re-positioned RCS during docking (much improved!)

tEZGz9F.png

t3wA1ak.png

After undocking it once again attempted to land at KSC.  If it were not from some ...ahem... "unpleasantness" following re-entry (attributed to errors in the "flight control software") it probably would have landed "at" KSC.  As it was it once again landed a little short of the runway (aprox 17km -- last time was much closer than that).

Edited by KerBlammo

Enabled kerbal G-blackouts, then tested them in the most cheap and punishing way I could contrive:

flybynite.jpg

The recovery pod performed beautifully.  I only had to stage twice to make it do everything I wanted.  It passively pointed itself heatshield-down, and the chutes all deployed one-at-a-time, particularly the "emergency" drogue which can deploy even at risky speeds.

Hey there Kerboldies.

Last time I reported that Val (And Bill) were on Moho.

https://imgur.com/a/2RDpz

They tried Hopping to the north pole to peek at the "Mouse Hole". (that's what Val calls it)

But the terrain was getting way too bumpy. So they gave up and departed for Gilly. Simulations proved that going direct to Duna wasn't an option.

wNbgI68g.png

After meeting Eve and a few orbital changes they got there no problemo.

SpvBh0jg.png

After a quick (OK not so quick) fuel-up they left for Duna.

lGWtk69g.png

Followed by Ike. They departed Duna with way too much fuel but made orbit anyway.

6HxyNpYg.png

RPmeM98g.png

And finally They made it to Dress.

EZ3NsJAg.png

When I left them last night they were making fuel and were enjoying a large pizza with some Fizzy-Pop.

7Ju7D8Tg.png

So far on this tour:

Mun landed

Minmus landed

Eve orbited

Gilly Landed twice

Moho landed

Duna landed

Ike landed

Dress landed

Next

Joolian system.

ME

Edited by Martian Emigrant

Hey everyone. You may remember that I first posted here about a month ago about my TISM career. Well, I found time to play it a bit over the past few weeks, so here's some updates:

The first mission was the launch of Terrather 1, my reusable ore miner, headed for Minmus:

VBIGxos.png

This craft is designed to mine 1500 units of ore from Minmus's flats and return it to my Minmus Station, Minty Station. It also has a nuclear reactor! :)

MVc8nFc.png

Here is Terrather 1 transporting up its first load of ore to Minty Station, and having it refined into...3000 units of Liquid Fuel!:P I had to rush some radiators out to the station because I originally forgot them, but that's not a big deal, right?

dZJC533.png

R4CDy8U.png

Here we see DULRER (DUna Long Range Exploration Rover) doing its first long distance trek from Endurance Base at Duna's equator to the edge of the poles, and then back. It performed really well on this mission, being able to collect large amounts of science from multiple biomes on its way to the poles, and returning the crew successfully back to base. Of course, Jeb had to plant some flags along the way.

2pgrto0.png

Now we see the launch of a Proton 3 rocket (50 tons to LKO) carrying...

n1VnBHe.png

m6AXSFU.png

The Rocinante Fuel Tug, my first ever reusable fuel tug, designed to carry Liquid Fuel being refined at Minty Station to the aging Altair Station in orbit around Kerbin (It will be replaced soon, hopefully). This was named after the main craft in the show "The Expanse". I watched the first season just recently, and I was quite interested in it. Also, it turned after getting it to Altair Station that it needed more LFO capacity to feed the aerospike powering it, so that was sent up on an launch that I didn't take photos of.

DxCoNdp.png

EocMLoQ.png

Finally, to finish off this post, I'm posting pictures of my first probe's arrival at Jool, my first ever visit to the gas giant! This probe, Adventurer 3, has an orbiter and Jool atmospheric probe section all in one package. The second photo has that probe entering Jool atmosphere. I love how SVE makes Jool and its moons look so nice, but it throws my framerate somewhat out the window... Oh well, you've got to make sacrifices some times... My next post for this shouldn't be delayed so much, as I have break right around the corner, but I've got other stuff to do as well. We'll see. However, you might see some RP-0 sooner, as I'm in the mood to play with my career for that...

Spoiler

Some extra content; I found the fabled desert temple:

sTlLwqI.png

On 12/13/2017 at 3:44 AM, Space Kadet said:

do you know any planet packs that do not touch the stock ones and are just more further out? i had one a while back, but have forgotten it and cant find it, i think the one i found had 2 more systems....

1 hour ago, Space Kadet said:

i made an alcubierre drive ship ! <snip />

I've had some misadventures with the Alcubierre Drive my own self recently. There's a new version under development at the moment that I'm using in my career save - the throttle isn't as fiddly and you can warp in closer to the various bodies of the system, there's three new parts and they all now use the same set of failsafe altitudes. Angular Momentum mode works again; still haven't grokked it yet. The downside is that they burn through resources a lot faster -  whereas you could get away with operating the drive with a few RTGs before, nowadays you'll need Fuel Cell Arrays (assuming you're staying stock, that is). 

Wrote a tutorial on Alcubierre navigation not too long ago; it might be useful to you.

Bah! Humbug!

Just got to Vall on my grand tour.

With all the inner planets and Laythe done.

I should be happy.

Darn it I just realised that My ship isn't taking Tylo's gravity into account.:0.0::huh:;.;:mad:

Can't Land there. I got the DeltaVs not the TWRs.

Darn, darn, darn.

ME

PS Orders have been sent to Val to cancel all further trips and to come home.

The Mark 2 (2 crews) proved insufficient. Jeb will have a go with the mark 3 (3crews).

Edited by Martian Emigrant

Drove up to the top. Rover took lots of damage on the way... rollovers... damned seams. No hope of recharging the batteries, I let it roll over the side. So now I'm up here. The view is so beautiful I could die..... wait..... how am I getting down???

WP8HPyg.png

You're just going to have to sit there and chill, buddy. The other rescue rovers are literally days away... and there's seams..... lots of seams.

6 minutes ago, LordFerret said:

Drove up to the top. Rover took lots of damage on the way... rollovers... damned seams. No hope of recharging the batteries, I let it roll over the side. So now I'm up here. The view is so beautiful I could die..... wait..... how am I getting down???

WP8HPyg.png

You're just going to have to sit there and chill, buddy. The other rescue rovers are literally days away... and there's seams..... lots of seams.

Paradrop a rover nearby?

5 minutes ago, KerBlammo said:

So far so good.  The time display is always green.  Not sure how to see what the actual frame rate in game is though.

If you're not getting a lot of stuttering I'd say it's fine. Last time I put up a big station the screen stuttered like crazy. I think my problem was that I had too many lights on it :)

Today I launched Callisto Lander v2. Only five years left until the contract runs out and I loose :funds:7.5 million, so hopefully this one will work.....

I decided to use a different launch vehicle, this time its a Saturn V MLV:

Jt3t34Q.jpg

This is the second launch of this massive 6000 tons monster which can deliver 200 tons into LEO.

ZpjftID.jpg

Engine & Booster ignition and lift-off!! Each of the boosters provides 16000kN of thrust.

Gbl1DR3.jpg

The additional transferstage is 170 tons and features a HG-3 vac engine (1400kN)

jnptSEy.jpg

The actual Lander weights 30 tons and is going to arrive in two years.

34 minutes ago, Tyko said:

If you're not getting a lot of stuttering I'd say it's fine. Last time I put up a big station the screen stuttered like crazy. I think my problem was that I had too many lights on it :)

No stuttering yet. I'm going to add to the station tonight and/or this weekend.  I have been expecting to start having issues as with previous large stations, but this is the first big one I've done on this computer.

4 hours ago, Geonovast said:

Paradrop a rover nearby?

That never works well for me on mountaintops.  Too imprecise, and steep slopes tend to cause it to roll downward until reaching the foothills or exploding.  Makes me wish the parachute could get snagged on rock outcroppings just to add some friction to its uncontrolled descent.  

A VTOL pickup though?  That is a bit easier to pull off.  

I'm a bit late to the whole "BFR" thing, but today I decided I wanted to try to make one.

BFR 001 - Spectre

JB68kYJ.png

The crewed version.

KGCYxo6.png

Launch of BFR-002 "Faded." The tanker version. The first stage uses five vectors, with only one used for landing.

Kqk1k2W.png

RTLS boostback burn.

aOwVGHW.png

Both the crewed and refueler upper stages use two aerospikes and two thuds. The aerospikes have an efficiency of 345s, so they are used for vacuum burns. The thuds have gimbal, so they are used for landing on Duna or whatever other planet you wish. For landing on Kerbin, you can get away with just thuds on the refueler, but you have to use all four engines on the spaceship because it is way heavier.

bjVFCqi.png

NY9ZL3j.png

First stage booster has landed! Not quite on the pad, but I promise I'll make up for that later!

223mXjd.png

Spectre and Faded docked together end to end, like the BFR would. The tank is not filled all the way, but considering it is KSP, 2/5 fuel is enough to get to Duna.

A0Omx6c.png

Re-entry of the refueler. Pretty tame.

CkxgS3a.png

Landed (in the middle of nowhere).

dS3w6j6.png

Leaving Kerbin.

2js5qPC.png

Landing on Duna after aerobraking.

eKOwgro.png

5bXGpFP.png

On Duna, showing off the ISRU! Unlike the real planned BFR, this one doesn't have any real cargo capacity. Although, if you made the ISRU part of a Duna base and filled the fuel tanks all the way, you could take a few tons (maybe even a dozen or two if you're a great pilot) to Duna.

4nxW01a.png

Leaving Duna.

Ekmkg5O.png

Decided to stop at Ike.

xdoeIyo.png

Duna on the horizon looks pretty nice!

RfJW3mw.png

Going home.

ZGMteti.png

Aerocapture. The two solar panels exploded, but other than that nothing broke.

YmVNQzr.png

After 3 or 4 braking passes, I realized I was in the right spot to try landing at KSC.

EVQPOYN.png

Taking "Return to Launch Site" literally.

dLK3ZG3.png

ALMOST!

gPFwtOb.png

Ran out of fuel and tipped over. :(

NYoEyTb.png

The margins for landing were pretty slim (although I could have saved a ton of fuel if I didn't try to land at KSC) and with my available quicksaves this was as close as I could get without running out of fuel and exploding. At this landing I had 21m/s of fuel left, which was really only 4m/s because I had a 1.25 TWR. I'm satisfied with that, though, not bad for coming back from Duna!

Where should I go and what should I do with this system next?

5 hours ago, Fearless Son said:

That never works well for me on mountaintops.  Too imprecise, and steep slopes tend to cause it to roll downward until reaching the foothills or exploding.  Makes me wish the parachute could get snagged on rock outcroppings just to add some friction to its uncontrolled descent.  

A VTOL pickup though?  That is a bit easier to pull off.  

While I've not dropped a rover yet, I'm about to. With adequate chutes and the brakes set, I don't foresee it going anywhere. I've dropped plenty of manned capsules in the past; Placement was never a problem, neither was the capsule rolling - anti-roll measures were added. What was a problem was flying out beyond 2km of the drop, where the game would then turn it into debris... so circles until it landed.