What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

7 hours ago, Fearless Son said:

I like to use small cargo bays for my "utility" items too, like the aforementioned probe cores, batteries, and reaction wheels.  In addition, I tend to put extendable solar panels in there too so they can stay safe from atmospheric forces during entry.

Yep, I do that too when necessary.

As for antenna, an antenna in a bay will not work unless the bay is open at the time.  I think that this is probably not too big an issue for you, as it can travel most of its journey with the bay hanging open, only to close it during aerobreaking and descent.  But fair warning, during that period of closure your control will be severely limited unless you have a nearby relay in orbit, as the built-in antenna is pretty weak.

Sorry, but you must be mistaken about this. I just confirmed it on the tarmac. There's no difference in vessel links with the bay open or closed. https://imgur.com/a/5GNc9

I assumed that the purpose of the glider was (compared to a simpler direct descent lander) to let you be more selective about your exact landing site.  A wheeled-only rover is useless if you splashdown and have no solid surface to get traction on, after all.

That's it -- and also I just really like to make planes. :)

Speaking of, your design seems so beautifully featherweight that I almost feel like Terrier's are overkill.  Have you considered replacing them with Sparks?  Their thrust is lower, but their ISP is even better, and you can swap out the Advanced Nose Cone A with a Small Nose Cone (which only weights 1/8th as much and has a smaller drag cross-section.)  The reduction in mass and increase in ISP would probably get you more a little more delta-V you can spend on breaking maneuvers over Eve and have an even better choice of landing site.

As a matter of fact I did, and yes the Sparks do give more dV. (In fact I used twin Sparks for atmospheric trials on Kerbin as the Terrier doesn't do much in the atmosphere. They don't have better ISP btw, it's 320 on Sparks vs 345 on Terriers.)

The most efficient design is indeed a standard nose cone with a single pod with a Spark. That'll get it well past 3000 m/s. Thing has nearly 2700 m/s on it as it is, which is a good deal more than I need to get to an atmosphere-skimming orbit on Eve and since I have to burn off all the fuel before entry anyway, I put the surplus into aesthetics and Fun. With the twin Terriers it just goes -- the ejection and acceleration burns are, like, 50 and 30 seconds each, which feels glorious.

Edited by Guest

Today I spent most of the day working on some patches to make my new SSTU save more into what I'm hoping to accomplish. I'm using Pathfinder for base operations, with EL for in situ construction, and I wanted SCANsat to behave a little differently. So I went through and defined my own SCANsat resource config to show maps of all of the resources that Pathfinder will need. 

Then I wrote a MM patch to make the Pathfinder TERRAIN scanner into an M700 like "FuzzyResource" scanner, and patched each of the Pathfinder resources into the narrow band scanner so I could get accurate resource data with an orbital scan instead of needing to land in each biome.

After that, I patched the Pathfinder Brew Works and Science lab to make the SSTU fuels for Hydrolox and Hypergolic systems, simply copying the LFO and Monoprop converter settings that were being used. I decided not to much around with adding them to the tanks, since SSTU provides very nice looking configurable tanks anyway, which I will keep on-site once base operations get going. 

I'm playing with 30% science and Play Your Way, with the only contracts activated being from Field Research, some of the WBI contracts, and some DMagic contracts. Though basically I'm avoiding all contracts and just going out to do science, with the goal of lots of station and base building.

Also here's a pretty screenshot of Kerbin with AVP 8k textures, just because

AU6sgjq.png

19 hours ago, LordFerret said:

I think you mean Monday

Not in the rest of the world.  :)

"Armstrong became the first to step onto the lunar surface six hours after landing on July 21 at 02:56:15 UTC"

[And my own timezone was UTC+10:30]

Update: Well, I do believe I was wrong and I have to tip my hat to you, @LordFerret.  Thank you for the correction.  (Now, I'm the one feeling *too* old!)

Edited by Hotel26

Well, I didn't get to Kerbal last evening *quite* as long as I'd hoped, but I did have some quality time in the VAB creating a more standardized set of launch vehicles, saved as subassemblies and rated by approximate tons to LKO (right now I have a range from 1 tonne to 55 tonnes, with not a lot of gaps in coverage between), and did a bit of redesign on my Mir-analogue station modules using Nertea's new station parts "Redux" package.

Heyho all.

Today I landed the usual suspects on Moho in an SSTO.

hWMVAyl.png

On this trip so far our now famous crew as taken Bertha to the Mun, Minmus, splashed a probe on EVE, tasted Gili and now landed on Moho.

They have been on the road for 3 years so far.

They’ve played thousands of hands of cards.

They are out of chocolate ice cream (Someone as been sneaking into the fridge).

Nobody can beat Bob at Pong.

All is well with the ship.

Testing as shown that Bertha is Tylo capable. Yes.

No testing was done for Duna but Bill says it should work.....

ME

I managed to make a ship so large it has its own gravity...

I don't have a screenshot but it's 400 km wide and over 2,000 km long.

I don't know how in the name of our lord Kraken I did this but he is pleased, as it doesn't spaz out, although that might be because of the autostrut. It also has on-board sacrifice chambers.

Over 200 of them.

It also has a thousand years worth of snacks.

If you were to eat them constantly, nonstop, never sleep, it would take a thousand years to eat them all. This does not count bathroom breaks.

Also, seriously, it DOES have it's own gravity. It is so large, you can see it if it were in Moho's orbit. All the way from Laythe.

I had to use the welding mod to actually accomplish this, and I can safely say this is the single largest interuniversal ship ANYTHING the game has ever seen.

Edited by Kebab Kerman

last night i was going to my space station to retrieve the kerbals there, i lined up the intercept and made RCS corrections as it approached about 200 m/s

i sipped my coffee watching it get closer getting ready to turn the engine back on and before i realized what was happening BOOM..........smashed right into it killing everyone LOL

i couldnt have done that if i planned it......revert flight.

3 hours ago, Kebab Kerman said:

I managed to make a ship so large it has its own gravity...

I don't have a screenshot but it's 400 km wide and over 2,000 km long.

I don't know how in the name of our lord Kraken I did this but he is pleased, as it doesn't spaz out, although that might be because of the autostrut. It also has on-board sacrifice chambers.

Over 200 of them.

It also has a thousand years worth of snacks.

If you were to eat them constantly, nonstop, never sleep, it would take a thousand years to eat them all. This does not count bathroom breaks.

Also, seriously, it DOES have it's own gravity. It is so large, you can see it if it were in Moho's orbit. All the way from Laythe.

I had to use the welding mod to actually accomplish this, and I can safely say this is the single largest interuniversal ship ANYTHING the game has ever seen.

screenshot or it didn't happen lol

11 hours ago, drhay53 said:

Today I spent most of the day working on some patches to make my new SSTU save more into what I'm hoping to accomplish. I'm using Pathfinder for base operations, with EL for in situ construction, and I wanted SCANsat to behave a little differently. So I went through and defined my own SCANsat resource config to show maps of all of the resources that Pathfinder will need. 

Then I wrote a MM patch to make the Pathfinder TERRAIN scanner into an M700 like "FuzzyResource" scanner, and patched each of the Pathfinder resources into the narrow band scanner so I could get accurate resource data with an orbital scan instead of needing to land in each biome.

After that, I patched the Pathfinder Brew Works and Science lab to make the SSTU fuels for Hydrolox and Hypergolic systems, simply copying the LFO and Monoprop converter settings that were being used. I decided not to much around with adding them to the tanks, since SSTU provides very nice looking configurable tanks anyway, which I will keep on-site once base operations get going. 

I'm playing with 30% science and Play Your Way, with the only contracts activated being from Field Research, some of the WBI contracts, and some DMagic contracts. Though basically I'm avoiding all contracts and just going out to do science, with the goal of lots of station and base building.

Also here's a pretty screenshot of Kerbin with AVP 8k textures, just because

AU6sgjq.png

my eyes are burning its so loveing beautiful.

Meet Morningstar. This one is going to Eve. Eventually. And a piece of it is coming back, I hope. It is now in initial trials and I'm convinced I can make this one work.

• Glide and landing - SUCCESS and it handles really nicely too!
  • Refueling from ISRU - PARTIAL SUCCESS (some thermal issues, ISRU fairing interferes with payload and broke the cooling system)
  • Kerbin to orbit - SUCCESS although refueling will be necessary afterwards; it's carrying a lot of baggage it will leave behind on Eve!
  • Re-entry - FAILURE as it's not aerodynamically stable; I had a power blackout but I'm convinced these problems are fixable.
  • Re-entry - SUCCESS! A couple small tweaks and it's beautiful -- passively stable on re-entry. Settles to a 60-degree angle until it hits thick air at which point it transitions to normal flight, all by itself, just like the Rukh. YES!
  • Take-off and re-orbit in Eve configuration - SUCCESS

tNb5U70.png

This really is like designing three craft in one. It will take off like a rocket, enter, fly, and land like a plane, then when leaving Eve, go through a sudden and violent metamorphosis into a rocket again, shedding layers of itself as it climbs. 

If you're wondering about that yuge tail... it carries the section with the ISRU unit, and all of it will be staying behind on Eve. The tail has to be so big to keep it in aerodynamic balance; without it, the CoM will be way back and it will flip into reverse.

I did briefly consider making something truly wacky -- a craft that reverses its orientation mid-mission, enters, flies, glides, and lands with its nose backward and engines forward, then leaves pointed the other way -- but the aerodynamics of that are beyond me; at the very least the centre of pressure would make life very difficult at some point, I think. Perhaps I'll give that idea another try at some point, but for now, this one is the most promising design.

Morningstar has a prototype sister ship by the way, the Lilith. She has the same general layout but the engine pods are much bigger -- Mammoths with fuel tanks to match. If Morningstar can't make it, perhaps she will.

Edit: Successfully completed the deorbit and landing trial! Only remaining known problem is the ISRU cooling and fairing glitch. Will tackle that tomorrow and then I think Morningstar is ready to fly!

52 minutes ago, Kebab Kerman said:
2 hours ago, Leafbaron said:

screenshot or it didn't happen lol

I can't

Did you try Fraps?

Edited by Guest

3 minutes ago, Brikoleur said:

Did you try Fraps?

Any recording program I have tried has failed. Game has so many mods that it freezes my computer.

Use your cellphone & take a pic of the monitor. :wink: We gotta see this. 

Phone is being fixed.

Edited by Kebab Kerman

11 minutes ago, Kebab Kerman said:

It crashes the game if I try... even the printscreen key won't work without it crashing

Take a picture with your phone's camera and post it here. That should resolve the problem.

Edit: Okay, phone's currently being repaired... Take a camera then, you must have one lying around somewhere. Heck, use one with film and develop the pictures it if you have to!

Edited by Delay

Today we ...nearly..... did an orbital rendezvous around Minmus.

I’m 900m away, and my relative velocity is 0 m/s.

I would have done my final approach and docking tonight, but I decided that I had had enough KSP-time today, so I’ll perform the actual process of attaching the two spacecraft together tomorrow.

I’m only doing my second orbital rendezvous, and I already have a process worked out! What’s more, this Minmus orbit rendezvous is first-try! I do have a quicksave made before I launched into orbit, but unlike the Mun mission rendezvous, I haven’t reloaded the quicksave. (On Kerbollo 5, I had to load the save at least 5 times before I actually made my rendezvous).

I’ve also started thinking about a Duna lander probe that I want to make after I complete this mission, as well as my Shuttle and space station that I’ll get on with as soon as the Kerbollo programme is complete. That’s my concise mission report for today.

13 minutes ago, Mr. Me said:

Had an engine break mid-burn and had to go repair it while the ship was still rotating

(Image won't display for some reason)

http://i.imgur.com/KyA9Z2q.jpg

Are you using a mod? I’m pretty sure that engines in the stock game are 100% reliable (unless they explode).

Just wondering:wink:

1 minute ago, Leafbaron said:

what mod makes the stars realistically dim like that? is that part of your visual enhancement mods?

I think that happens in Distant Object Enhancement, but I'm not positive. The visual mods I have are:

Astronomer's Visual Pack, Distant Object Enhancement, EVE, scatterer

1 hour ago, Delay said:

Heck, use one with film and develop the pictures it if you have to!

Sounds like how my parents still share photos... <_<

——————

You’ve made some bold claims here today, young @Kebab Kerman. Strong with the Force you may be, but you are not a Kerbal Jedi yet. You must confront your lack of documentation. :)

2 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Sounds like how my parents still share photos... <_<

——————

You’ve made some bold claims here today, young @Kebab Kerman. Strong with the Force you may be, but you are not a Kerbal Jedi yet. You must confront your lack of documentation. :)

I am angry

KSP just crashed

Why, KSP, why?