What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

To fulfill an odd contract that I hadn't fully read before accepting it :blush:...  it was return a vessel to Kerbin from The Mun.  Easy, right?  Except, no, the vessel had to go the distance from Munar surface to Kerbin surface.  I had pushed it to the back of my mind, thinking I'ad have to put together a direct-ascent mission as opposed to the KOR and MOR profiles I'm much more accustomed to.  But yesterday (I'm slow sometimes) I realized I could accomplish it by taking a page from Luna 16... a "sample return mission."  I used the 'Korona Lite' capsule from Angel-125's M.O.L.E. add-on, which reduced the delta V needed considerably (I could lift off the Mun and return to Kerbin using only an Oscar-B and an Ant), and voila!  Contract completed.

I hadn't yet designed an ultra-heavy lifter using the 5-meter parts I have from a couple of mods (I think SXT and others), so I began putting one together.  Since it's a capability in search of a mission, though, it's still somewhat aimless/formless.

Also launched my latest Soyuz-knockoff and it went well, but I think I'm going to wait to see what parts "Making History" has before I travel further down that road.

Had a bit of a surprise on a Minmus surface rescue contract--  I landed in darkness (when am I going to learn?) and discovered it was on a significant slope.  (If it had been in the "Slopes" biome, that would have been a tip-off, but it was in Lowlands.)  While my lander could handle the slope, I could see the "wreck" sliding downhill.  Tried to get the rescuee to walk across the slope to my rescue craft, but she kept losing her footing and sliding downhill.  This being Minmus, though, I had her light her jetpack and fly to the rescue ship.   No worries, mate...

Squeezed some more science out of a research station and a couple of survey satellites, and just a few nodes from finishing the tech tree in this campaign.  (With KCT and reducing the science return, it stretches things out a bit to a pace that feels more 'right' to me... though still a little too fast.  Will reduce science award further next time...)

Here she is, the Pelican 2. 

DqJWYOl.png

https://kerbalx.com/Brikoleur/Pelican-2

I gotta say, I'm proud of this bird. With these refinements, it's a true multi-role craft. It'll loft payloads of up to 40 tons and 5.3 metres diameter to LKO. It can be used as a remote-control platform for drones. With different cargo modules, it can be a tanker or a passenger vessel. And it's a dream to fly -- easily the best-behaved plane I have made so far in my KSP careers.

Still a while to go until the next Jool transfer window, but this is the version that's going up... unless something genuinely dramatic comes up.

Today I accidentally made a water-takeoff-capable airplane... All the previous, purpose-built attempts sticked to the water like it's glue, but the dual-Juno powered low-speed and altitude, "why the hell not" design took off from water... Multiple times...

pmkLTvN.jpg

Edited by NotJebediah
Bad HTML code

I've made some seaplanes. The only trick that I can see is that the leading edge of the wing isn't submerged, and the tail sits deeper in the water than the nose.

28 minutes ago, Brikoleur said:

I've made some seaplanes. The only trick that I can see is that the leading edge of the wing isn't submerged, and the tail sits deeper in the water than the nose.

The tail did stick out, but the wings were at water-level. The nose-winglets were even submerged... Maybe it's the fact, that it can take-off at around 35 m/s... Hell if I know...

Wrapping up my Duna endeavor. All anomalies visited. Still collecting and processing science in the labs however. Soon, they'll be shut down too. Most of the crews are on their way back home... on arrival, a rendezvous with space station 'Ice Station Zebra', and a transfer to and shuttle ride back down.

After that, I'll rotate crew on the space station and continue on with my missions on Dres and Eeloo. Ships are on their way to both. One a rescue, the others an exploratory assault on Dres.

Once Dres and Eeloo are done, I'm wondering; How successful would things be in trying to move this save (v1.2.2) over to v1.3.1 ??

8 minutes ago, LordFerret said:

Once Dres and Eeloo are done, I'm wondering; How successful would things be in trying to move this save (v1.2.2) over to v1.3.1 ??

I suppose just try it?  Easy enough to do in a way that you can't lose anything.

Although since it's been this long, why not just wait for 1.4?

6 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

Although since it's been this long, why not just wait for 1.4?

I'm going to start anew for 1.4 considering it's quite a game changer with the new parts and parachutes and all that (for me at least).

I'm considering the Science mode instead of career this time because I realized I'm to "forced" to do contracts in career. I want to do my own missions without having to worry about time or money. What do you think of that? Is it worth it?

1 minute ago, Delay said:

What do you think of that? Is it worth it?

I don't like career.  I almost exclusively play Sandbox, occasionally Science, and very, very rarely will I play a career save for about 20 minutes before I get bored.

This is actually a couple of days ago, but I had to learnn how to upload to Imgur (not at all hard).  Is there an advantage to making an account there?

Okay, notes first. 1) I'm lame and slow, I know this.  It's still my first actual manned Mun mission, and I'm going for a land-and-return! 2) it's only Year 1 Day 22. 3) I have almost ten dozen mods installed. 4) our so-called 'gaming' computer runs like a three-legged dog. Except when it bogs down and gets really slow. I know this is partially due to point #3. 5) I'm NOT a good pilot. And it's worse on a keyboard. And worse than that on this keyboard, which DH literally uses as a sandwich plate. Eyeugh. I wear gloves. Anyway, I like designing craft (poorly). 6) Nope, I cannot manage to keep things simple.  I tried, and it doesn't work. "Oh but it needs to do this!  And be capable of that!  And while I'm already there, I should also have the capability of..."  This is the other cause of #4. That and DH keeps wanting to eat food instead of upgrading the computer. 7) Good redundancy is good redundancy and better redundancy is even betterly redundantly better! And redundant.

Glamour shots!

JzKSmCo.jpg

AFgjmuh.jpg

Liftoff!

pw7kUkM.jpg

"Move, _____! Get out da way!  Get out da way, _____, get out da way!" (fair use! Song is "Move _____" by Ludacris from the album Word of Mouf)

K5Hrexk.png

zAEPYkJ.png

On the way!

VGE3Vsb.png

Hope to see you again real soon, Kerbin!

ryKrDrR.png

But what was concealed in the fairing?

Seriously, don't look.  You've been warned.

Spoiler

What happens when, along with the other nearly ten dozen mods I've installed, I find this one?

d3JnWQ2.png

XArT2EA.png

7vfEcxt.jpg

QYrDfQo.jpg

entire album (such as it is) here, I hope

I really feel I should feel ashamed.  Except I don't. :cool:

I tested this thing in KRASH (the simulator) for about a week, and this is about the Mk 5 Mod 12 version, but who's counting?

And now, while this is flying to the Mun ("One of these days, Alice Kerbin! Pow! Right to the Mun!") I'll be adding moar partz to my incipient orbital station, which is called Kerbinated Orbital Laboratory but I keep thinking of as Agglutination Station. Amen for KIS/KAS or I'd actually have to think this stuff through in advance!

13 hours ago, Ace in Space said:

Meanwhile, at mission control:

sheldon-hyperventilating-big-bang-theory

Oh, wow, someone took a picture of me playing KSP!  :D

Edited by InterplanetJanet
added link to Imgur album

I successfully got the Kertimis into orbit!

In other news, I built a boat. With a jet engine. It flipped over and crashed.

I also built a private jet for my favorite kerbal. (who is now in orbit over kerbin) It resembles an F-15, but that was unintentional.

And finally, my mobile Kerbin base worked! (sort of) The front part sheared off. Luckily no kerbals were on board. Once I detached the wings and the landing gear, I discovered that one of my landing gear wouldn't detach. :(  It started to roll downhill with the solar panels and drills extended...
Then one of the landing struts exploded. It is still moving, but is stable. It also looks like a crab. :P

The shuttle still being on its way to the Mun, I decided to kill the time by making a truly useless craft.

krhPJAB.png

I chose to use my heaviest S.S.T.O. in service, Pallas which is normally dedicated to medium sized space stations.

pyTjIC0.png

Enjoying a majestic TWR of... I can't remember, but it was awesome for sure! Come one, 22 Vector engines for a payload of 5 tons, it's perfect!

2dCsEhh.png

Each emergency pods were ejected from their mother ship once on a 180 x 170 km parking orbit. 

B4dbVfl.png

PDd97Jz.png

After many Kerbals hours orbiting the blue ball, and multiple maneuvers the Outer Heaven station finally received its three operational evacuation pods.

It clearly announced the end of these costing flights to bring the scientists back to the surface, now they will be totally independent to return at any time they want!

SaeiT8S.pngB0WdOH6.png

Then, the carrier was de-orbited to return as close as possible to the KSC. Something which, of course, is "nearly" never happening...

IfwfOvu.pngvN8FOsX.png

Well, according to von Kerman the flight was a Total SUCCESS only costing the price of a landing leg, a press release which was quickly denied by Mortimer Kerman, who added that the cost of TWO Landing Struts is UNACCEPTABLE. We can not consider this flight as a success when our company has just lost 880 FUNDS on this mission that I would even define as USELESS.

Oeg66Ow.png 3SrEJGH.png

However, it still was not totally over, the fourth and last emergency pods having been docked to a station at 300 km, it was now the time to test it in live from a high altitude de-orbit.

8n6TTgV.png 5ShsLH0.png

Perfectly protected by its shield, the pod re-entered the Kerbin's atmosphere easily, no problems having to be reported.

UiPP7eV.png

Useless screenshot coming for free. Just note that it is STILL possible to distinguish the capsule landing on the left, but it's requiring a viewing acuity of 17/10 at least.

sDZc1Gq.png

Mission Successful, yes definitely! The Orbital Emergency Capsule I received its license of validity in the seconds that followed, this craft had demonstrated, once again, how wonderfully the unlimited capacities of the KSC engineers were, as well as their talent to spoil the time and the funds!

The Space Program has not been idle as the Eve and Jool transfer windows grow closer.

As mentioned above, development on Pelican 2 has concluded. It has proven to be a remarkably versatile medium utility craft. The full production version has performed two missions impeccably. One, lifting a surveyor probe bound for Moho -- Agni -- to its ejection orbit at 500 km. This was incidentally the Space Program's first use of the ion drive in the field. It was crucial to keeping the payload to a manageable size, given the high dV requirements of a Moho intercept. The ion drive has such low thrust that the Moho capture had to be broken down into five separate deceleration burns, but all were executed successfully, and Agni concluded its mission successfully and remains in orbit to support any future missions to Moho. 

Q2rtUZx.png

V3xk4tI.png

For its second mission, the Pelican took the entire Kerbin staff on an educational field trip to Minmus and the Mun. She lofted a large lander in a wide fairing (5.3 metres diameter) to low Kerbin orbit. Maybe we should have named her the Queen Bee instead!

v2OXzcV.png

From low Kerbin orbit the young kerbonauts proceeded to Minmus, where they executed a landing, planted a flag, listened to some educational presentations, and sang edifying songs.

QVBpsnr.png

After departure from Minmus surface, they docked at Minmus Station and Fuel Depot to refuel and register their new experiences. From there, they proceeded to the Mun, where they landed at Midland Craters for more educational presentations, edifying songs, and some science.

DyMQXyk.png

From there, they returned to low Kerbin orbit where they executed a rendez-vous with Pelican 2, and docked with it. Our mission planners had done their job perfectly -- not a single drop of fuel was left when they docked! Good job mission planners!

45YN474.png

The Pelican returned to the Space Centre for recovery on the runway without incident -- once more, without a single drop of fuel going to waste. The skills of the Kerbin staff have gone up noticeably!

13 minutes ago, Brikoleur said:

The Pelican returned to the Space Centre for recovery on the runway without incident -- once more, without a single drop of fuel going to waste. The skills of the Kerbin staff have gone up noticeably!

Just ran out of likes for the first time ever! Good job on the Pelican, I like the design!

1 hour ago, Martian Emigrant said:

Hey Kerbal-philes.

Today.

Today I broke the game.

53hgq8i.png

vdDrkM5l.png

ME

Service bay: I’m free!!!!!

You are on an escape trajectory out of this plane of existence.

Also, how is the MET clock only at about one hour?

Freaky time.

Edited by RealKerbal3x

36 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Service bay: I’m free!!!!!

You are on an escape trajectory out of this plane of existence.

Also, how is the MET clock only at about one hour?

Freaky time.

I cheated myself in low Jool orbit cause I never have been in the atmosphere before.

I was still flying (On multiple parachutes) not at all below the surface or anything like that.

Then when I dropped the heatshield the probe disintegrated.

Go figure

ME