What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

5 minutes ago, Kebab Kerman said:

I built a plane with wings that rotate up

I believe the KSP limit for wing span is 256 kilometers.  Anything larger than that is likely to cause hyperbolic ejection...  followed closely by universe impaction (black pinhole with unusually painful X-rays).

Edited by Hotel26

21 minutes ago, Hotel26 said:

I believe the KSP limit for wing span is 256 kilometers.  Anything larger than that is likely to cause hyperbolic ejection...  followed closely by universe impaction (black pinhole with unusually painful X-rays).

It wasn't that large, it was only a 30-35 meter wingspan.

8 minutes ago, Hotel26 said:

on 64 bit computer it could be larger than 256 kilometers

8 hours ago, Magzimum said:

I think that KSP treats water like very thick air or gas.

There is a lot of evidence for this. A big one is that rocket engines have ISP curves in this game. When a rocket engine is submerged its ISP nose dives down to zero, as if it were suddenly within a super dense atmosphere. While jet engines, whose ISP remains constant no matter what the air pressure, are completely unaffected by being underwater. Not to mention the fact that wing surfaces produce enormous amounts of lift when underwater vs when in air.

On 2/22/2018 at 1:01 AM, Brikoleur said:

I'm not entirely sure about the specific problem you're trying to address, but probably not. The difficulty with getting out of Eve lies in the really soupy atmosphere: you have to find a way to cut through it fast and efficiently so you don't burn all your fuel fighting it. Nukes won't help with that. Once out of the thick lower atmosphere, you need a fairly normal rocket with reasonable TWR and sufficient dV, much like any upper stage you'd use to get out of Kerbin.

I.e., you need to focus on two things: making your ascent vehicle as slippery as you can, and making a lower stage (or stages) with enough thrust and dV to get you where your normal rocket works.

Put even another way: make a regular Kerbin lifter, then put that on a stupidly powerful lifter. That should work.

Ah no, I was unclear. I was talking about the SSTO to Eve. I have a separate ascent lifter thingy in the cargo bay. My main problem is getting that to eve and landing, both of which are untested.

Thanks for the advice though!

Progress on that mission is good. I've gotten into a low eve orbit. The problem now is descent. I can't really aim where I want to go and it has a tendency to become unstable. And I can't really fix that.

I'll chip away at it though....

5 hours ago, Brikoleur said:

I just don't seem to be able to stop tinkering with these VTOL aircraft. They're just so much fun.

Yes these VTOL’s are very addictive and extremely fun, got a Hangar full of them! :D

Edited by Castille7

34 minutes ago, Kronus_Aerospace said:

There is a lot of evidence for this. A big one is that rocket engines have ISP curves in this game. When a rocket engine is submerged its ISP nose dives down to zero, as if it were suddenly within a super dense atmosphere. While jet engines, whose ISP remains constant no matter what the air pressure, are completely unaffected by being underwater. Not to mention the fact that wing surfaces produce enormous amounts of lift when underwater vs when in air.

That's not even entirely incorrect. Liquids and gases are both fluids and behave in very similar ways, wing surfaces for example would produce a lot of lift underwater, at least if pitched at all. 

The surface interaction however isn't modeled at all, it's just a transition from one fluid to another. I had some mental blocks about this because back in the day I flight simmed a lot and, among other things, did water landings that were reasonably accurately modeled, and KSP's are nothing like it.

(Just to make it clear, I'm not complaining about this, just noting it. Waterskiing clearly isn't a core KSP feature. Although I would def. be happy if they did address it.)

7 hours ago, papuchalk said:

Try to rotate the ship using E or Q button. This way you will keep the shiled facing where you want. Unless you have main mass of ship on the opposite side of the shiled. Then it really works more like parachute, and not shield. 

Yes, that doesn't help any though. It has SAS, and RCS (for docking), but the large heat shield itself is the problem... I've read about this elsewhere, it acts like an umbrella (or drogue chute if you like) and tumbles the ship around the wrong way. I've seen solutions where large heat shields are placed at both ends. I've been thinking about that, but I'm going to try something different.

6 hours ago, RizzoTheRat said:

I found for my single seater some wings at the back kept it pointing the right way, but the slightly shorter and fatter, and much heavier, 4 seat attempt failed even with bigger wings.  Photo of both a few pages back (page 1600) if it helps.

I think I recall seeing those. I'll have to go back and look. I've thought about some 'fins' up top. I might give that a go.

4 hours ago, Brikoleur said:

Won't work I'm afraid. The main difficulty getting out of Eve is the soupy lower atmosphere -- you'll burn a lot of fuel fighting it whatever you do, and since you have rocket engines there's only a downside to staying in it any longer than you have to.

I.e. burn straight up for about 10 km, then maybe start considering a gravity turn.

(Source: tried it.)

I had confidence in my ship being able to accomplish the journey up and out... but after reading that.......... lol, thanks.

I think it will make it. I'm going to give it a try... if I can put them damn thing safely down on the surface.

Today I got TweakScale. IT HELPED SO MUCH!!! :D 

I used it to launch the second part of my space station. I also played around with mini and mega rovers using Tweakscale. :science:

The third part of ORS (the Orbital Reassembly Station) will be sent up tonight. Wish me luck! :sticktongue::confused:

Precisely today (right after midnight, missing out on the NyanCat Parade :( ) I got to play KSP. All hands boarded the Mantis Flier and descnded onto Aridos, the dying Laythe. i was pleasantly surprised...and a bit disturbed, to find that my plane easily dives (and wasn't intended to) when any sub I purpose-built could not. It strolled on the sea floor, even, beyond 400m below.

qe9yA7t.jpg

Other screenshots, including a powered swirve to stop while landing, and a sunset. Before signing off, the crew plotted a chain of 6 or 7 waypoints to fly low over and observe with their naked eyes before returning to space and moving to the next moon, whichever that is.

Ufcv2Vh.jpg kz32ytX.jpg vFjeJqX.jpg VQP3Qho.jpg

I saw lot of people using inflatable 10m heat shileds, fixed to ship from start, but if you want to use them on both sides of hte ship, it might obstruct your docking ports or limit your other staging.

So i came up with attachable heat shileds, each having docikng port and probe control. This design is not that good lookin, but very practical

https://imgur.com/a/oB1GO

you just attach heat shield only for that part of flight when you need it, then throw it away (or park back to docking place). It does allow all the staging and docking that you usually need on most of the ships without shields causing conflics

Edited by papuchalk

Well, today - no Polyots. But, I made an another Soviet replica! *Athem of USSR* It is Zond-7 which should was an answer to American Moon mission(an analogue of Apollo-8. It means it was a Moon orbiter).

Before start. The carrier rocket is Proton-M. Notice that side fuel tanks isn't decoupleable boosters - they are a part of first stage:
Q1YLIPg.png

Liftoff, first stage decoupling and bla-bla-bla, so the second stage:
J9N4Xbu.png

To the Mun!
MzbV1Zj.png

Ahh, fantastic!
bV44beq.png

IVA:
Idx8VSf.png

Bye, Mun!
xohc2lO.png

3D4gYwu.png?1

iZe0wtY.png

Say hi to brave orbit crew!

h5IR5WJ.png

One minute. Niw I'm working on weapons for Polyots:science:

Oh, yes. Compare with:

startuet-proton-foto-press-sluzhby-vmz.j

z7.jpg

Edited by FeofileGrotter

It took 6 cargo flights to LKO (of 100tons of fuel each) and 18 rendezvous, done by the drones. Out of the 6 cargo SSTOs, one ended up in the water -couldn't brake fast enough on the runway.

But the 7 flights for Eve are ready to go.

The next operation of similar magnitude, will be the Eeloo expedition and that's only because the transfer window is so favorable with the planet, being in it's closest distance from the sun. Otherwise, I would've broken it in two...

4 hours ago, LordFerret said:

I think it will make it. I'm going to give it a try... if I can put them damn thing safely down on the surface.

I made it out with my first ever design, it took quite a few tweaks to get it down in the first place though. 

Edited by RizzoTheRat

Space train to Duna leaving from track 79. Choo choo!

tihxSWh.png

That was another Wangari Maathai launch. She's handling payloads in the neighbourhood of 100 tons with poise and aplomb. Even absurdly long ones like this.

OcDF6Sk.png

Aw man! I was really hoping this would work, because it looks so cool! Unfortunately, the game determines the traction of the wheels by how much their suspension is compressed, since the wheels only have vertical suspension I've effectively made a sled. The wheels spin up but the craft doesn't move.

Ecx4Brl.jpg

Edited by Kronus_Aerospace

The de Havilland Vampire was always one of my favourite planes and I felt a little bad that the Karmilla doesn't really do it justice. It's such a pretty thing. So I made a more faithful tribute to it -- not a replica or model by a long shot, but a kerbalised one. Powered by a single Juno and roughly similar proportions, although exaggerated.

It says something about KSP that genuinely great aerodynamic designs like the Vampire are genuinely great in KSP also. I just put it together quickly, tweaked the CoM and CoL, set wing pitch to something that felt about right, and it flies like an angel. Not a lot of power, but just incredible fun to toss around, buzzing the control tower or doing other irresponsible hoonage around the KSC.

zq4S4Gf.png

vfLo0xc.png

yCgQO3c.png