What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

7 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

I launched a new space station in my new 1.4 dev build:

GmMDLbi.png

This is my DSEV Deep Space Habitat reference design. My plugins compiled pretty well with minimal changes. Tomorrow I get to integrate with 1.4.1. :)

nice DSH - looks a lot like the reference design.

I got a new laptop (i5-7200U @ 2.5ghz, 8GB DDR4, 2GB 940MX) this weekend.  It's not as good as my new desktop (i7-7700K @ 4.2ghz, 32GB DDR4, GTX-1050Ti), but I'm happy with it.  It's been a long time since I had a new laptop.  So I'm starting a new KSP game on, a Stock + KER science game.  I think I'll keep this one pretty mod free, and keep my modded game on the powerhouse.

Went to orbit on my third launch.  It's weird to think how insanely terrible I was at this game when I got it about 8 months ago.

You know that electric thing from yesterday? Refined it a bit by adding moar powahhh and some hydrofoils.

xNoJzDG.png

And stuck wings on it.

OVHgc5h.png

It works... surprisingly well apart from occasional explosions of somewhat important bits exploding in the engine yet it still mysteriously works fine....

2P9xdaR.png

1 hour ago, qzgy said:

It works... surprisingly well apart from occasional explosions of somewhat important bits exploding in the engine yet it still mysteriously works fine....

2P9xdaR.png

Organic, self-optimizing engineering at work!

Engineering perfection is reached not by adding crap, but when crap can no longer be taken away.  :cool:

I experimented with jet boats. Built a simple raft of liquid fuel tanks and slapped a lander pod and some jet engines on it. Worked pretty well once I carefully drove it to the water. Of course I forgot to give it any ability to steer once the wheels were jettisoned. I might send something like this to Laythe at the next launch window.

9keWejH.png

This is when I tried to drive it off the end of the runway.

DoAAl89.png

This is when I tried to drive it into the water too fast.

5lwgq9Y.png

And this is when I got it into the water without flipping it. 

I just finished testing, and crashing, a jet boat I really like. I put the engines inline with the fuel tanks, and that solved the swamping problem. I also made it out to the islands of KSC for the first time. And ran my boat aground. It was unmanned, so I just reclassified it as debris and left it there. This boat has tail fins so it can turn, and it will cruise happily at 96 mph. Whats great is according to mechjeb on Kerbin this configuration has several MILLION Delta-V, so i could land it near an island and sail it out into Laythe's deep seas.

01PY7FA.png

This is where it ran aground.

5AEXaHn.png

And here is the abandoned airfield on the island.

42 minutes ago, Wilhelm Kerman said:

This has got to be the oldest thread on the forums.

Indeed...:D

The first post was May 17th 2013, so just after the forum derp in 2013, I assume.

I wasn’t there for it, luckily.

OK, back on this thread!! Although I technically did this last night and it’s now morning, I did it less than 24 hours ago so it’s still today!!

I mostly worked on my VTOL. I got it to take off, fly around a bit, then sort-of vertically land. I’ll try and get some screenshots.

Did my first rescue mission today. Saving poor Dormund Kerman got petty dicy though as we all went suborbital as he was EVAing to the hatch. Basically turned into a scene from Gravity. 

The lesson learned is that rescue missions are really hard without RCS

5 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Organic, self-optimizing engineering at work!

Engineering perfection is reached not by adding crap, but when crap can no longer be taken away.  :cool:

Funnily enough, when unbreakable parts was on accidentally, it was somewhat slower than after some bits exploded.

New contract; new satellite; different launch vehicle!

The satellite was to small and too light (1 ton) to justify the use of my 2.5m lifter. So I quickly built a 1.25m launch vehicle which is recovered using parachutes. I need as much fuel for ascending as possible so I ruled out a powered landing.

(INTERMISSION: I'm trying to find a backronym for "Falcon" to justify calling it that. I ended up with "... Landing Capable Orbiter Necessity", and I can't think of anything for F and A. Any ideas?)

x5S9j6V.png

Upon contract completion, which involved putting the satellite into a stationary Minmus orbit, I took this picture:

b8LC9ae.png

In other news I decided to change plans with my retrograde Kerbol satellite. I was getting worried that connection wouldn't suffice and as 0.13 unit electricity generation left me worried about power consumption as well, I decided to immediately reverse my trajectory. Might not have been the best idea but I wanted to be absolutely sure I will make it.

I initially wanted to run the ion engine at just under the power supply/demand equilibrium, but I then decided to... abandon the idea... (Just look at "Burn Time to 0m/s")

VhjgPuT.png

I didn't really want to wait 15 real life hours just to burn to a standstill.

What I did instead was run the engine at full thrust until power ran out, then charge again, run at full thrust, charge and so on.

7 hours ago, Emperoreddy said:

Did my first rescue mission today. Saving poor Dormund Kerman got petty dicy though as we all went suborbital as he was EVAing to the hatch. Basically turned into a scene from Gravity. 

The lesson learned is that rescue missions are really hard without RCS

Congratulations on your first rescue. That's an important milestone :)

As you get more and more orbital rendezvous under your belt, you'll become better acquainted with the navball and the more you'll understand that RCS is good for fine-tuning your approach, not relying upon it for big course adjustments. In fact, if all you want is to get within 100m off a stranded pod (a typical rescue scenario), you don't really need RCS.

You'll see all these by yourself, soon enough :)

1 hour ago, Delay said:

(INTERMISSION: I'm trying to find a backronym for "Falcon" to justify calling it that. I ended up with "... Landing Capable Orbiter Necessity", and I can't think of anything for F and A. Any ideas?)

Fairly Abnormal?

Fairly Abnormal Landing Capable Orbiter Necessity.