What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Not really today, more like yesterday, but...

That previously mentioned horrible Mun rocket of mine? I eventually pulled off a successful Mun landing with it anyway. Just needed to crossfeed the lander stage with the ascent stage. It ate about a third of the ascent stage's fuel, but there was still enough that once I took off and was on my way back to Kerbin, I still had 801 m/s remaining. Of which 700 I used to lower my Kerbin apoapse to 350 km, the remaining 101 I used to drop the periapse to -35. Still used up about 22 ablator.

Next I'm going to try and see if 100 ablator is enough for a direct munar return. The rocket, for reference:

Q5dREra.jpg

Today, I played around with my new SCANsat.

I finished biome and terrain maps of the Mun and Kerbin.

Also, we had loads of spare time to kill at school, since the teacher said we could do anything we want. I showed my friends the launch procedure of some of my rockets. 

I showed them how to do satellite cartography, and how to drive rovers and stuff.

I tried teaching them about orbital mechanics, but their brain overloaded and their FPS slowed down. :P

Unfortunately, the laptop ran out of battery and so I'm stuck using the computer that doesn't run ksp. Too bad. (I don't have a charger. I left it at home, and I'm now at Gramp's.)

My manned mission to Moho arrived today, rendezvoused with the new lander design I sent ahead & barely managed to land successfully.  I miscalculated the TWR over Moho on the lander, and had to thrust & RCS forward continuously the last 2 and a half minutes of flight.  I finally let off the RCS at about 200m altitude.  And after all that, I FORGOT SCREENSHOTS!!!!!  :mad:   I can't even redo it - I have a refueler in orbit as well, but after the performance of the lander, once I got it back to orbit & docked with the crew transfer vehicle, I stripped off the high-value items (primarily science stuff), undocked & deorbited the lander.

Oh, I did take 1 screenshot - with Kronal Vessel Viewer, of my Pumera SSTO with ferry tanks attached. And yes, it is an SSTO, the wing & cargo bay ferry tanks are for the transfer to Laythe, not the trip to orbit. 

jH61XYC.png?2

Edited by Cavscout74

4 hours ago, woeller said:

ISS assembly :

Zarya, Unity, Zvezda, Z1 Truss, PMA-1 - PMA-3. The hardest thing was to bring Unity, the Z1 truss and PMA-3 into position with the manipulator arm to mount them.

EgKQgDy.jpg

What mod are you using for the RMS?

I like your ISS and CA space shuttle by the way :)

Today.....I drove a rover 130km through the desert. The plan is to drive the rover from the Dessert Airfield to the KSC. In order to avoid a massive detour up north where the continents connect, it has a jet engine to get it across water.

The rover is awesome. As well as the engine, it has 6050 units of electric charge, can carry 3 kerbals and is wide enough that it is literally unflippable. It even has an ISRU unit so it can refill the fuel tank. I also found the Kergyptian pyramids in the desert 30km east of the Dessert Airfield, and after another 100km drive through the desert I picked up Maldard Kerman who had been stuck there for almost 17 days.

The rover is currently parked near some coastal lakes, where I plan to put its amphibious ability to the test tomorrow. 

Not at my computer right now so I can’t post pics, but I’ll do that tomorrow too.

On 5/28/2018 at 11:08 PM, Cyrious said:

in preparation for an attempt to circumnavigate kerbin via rover.

I always wanted to do that, it would take me forever but it would be worth it.

How are you going to cross the water ?

Are you going to make a boat/pond ?

Tweaked my stock mk3 deployable sub a bit more today. I added a life support can to it, and gave it a shielded docking port. First I had to roll just the rover off the runway, then spawn a transport with an empty cargobay, and join them, then cheat the craft to laythe to test. Redocking it without jettisoning the ore required tapping the lift rockets to align the docking port, so I had to choose between adding an extendable landing gear for just aligning the port, or tweaking the wheels a bit more so that they can still get the docking port to connect, without breaking on decouple. I went with the latter to keep part count down.

I ditched my 6x Rapier Laythe seaplane and just used my 8xRapier, 6x Whiplash, 9 x aerospike Rald Shuttle (in my mod system, Rald's radius and gravity are higher than layth's, with a thinner atmosphere, so if it works on Rald, it surely works on Laythe). My initial seaplane design was to my standard parameters, mk3 long cargobay, ramp, 40 ton payload to the surface and back to orbit... but the sub ended up being 60 tons, so I just went with the beefier design with vertical launch/landing capabilites that I already had.

During testing, I tried to land close to the other sub... I thought I was going to get pretty close, but the thin air and low gravity means that it takes a long time to lose excess velocity. I ended up about 10km away

5eJk5U7.png

Sub recovery sequence, no glitch this time, maybe it was a glitch related to going so deep? No ore jettisoned, so it is ready to dive again.

Spoiler

hBPYH2e.png

Bx6ROQv.png

Vzke58H.png

F5MxsIH.png

3mO7U2X.png

n2GvLsi.png

Launch and in orbit

Spoiler

V2qhJCs.png

2qZAGHT.png

At Pe, the orbital velocity was 1850, and a 50 m/s burn would lower the Ap to 150x150 km, so it seems orbital velocity is fairly similar to stock laythe

The middle wheel pair was the most problematic (prone to breaking and needing an engineer to repair), so I tried another type of wheel that should fulfill very strict no clipping rules ( @Geonovast ) 

GzC2NoW.png

Then I took it for some testing in Rald's oceans as well... I saw some undersea seaweed.

pGvh411.png

Bg7uqka.png

Spoiler

QYkFv6m.png

pQLXv0z.png

Kerbal scientists will need to determine if it is the same species of plant like organism above and below the water :p

h9NdEez.png

I've still got no stock craft for Eve's oceans... nor for my modded duna's small seas, due to a lack of oxygen for combustion with turbine engines.

Also, to launch the sub with shielded docking port and the plane at the same time, since they won't let us use the front node in the editor, I had to do some funky work arounds

RLxmt6g.png

So I have the pylon radially attach to the front, then attach a structural iece ot the pylon, I then do a re-root so that the structural piece is the new root... save that as a sub assembly. Then I attach the sub assembly to the docking port, and align the docking ports by using the offset tool.

Then its a matter of opening the shielded docking port and decoupling the structural piece from the docking port (its been offset so its not actually touching the port), the shielded port will dock basically immediately. then I decouple the pylon... in this case I also sent it away with some septratrons... what an annoyance, but it works

XcEaNkU.png

On my way circumnavigating Kerbin in my smallest jet (400 LF + 2x 100 LF droptanks) for a contract on the other side of the planet.

yN8eCpt.png

Not sure if I need the droptanks....we'll see... :cool:

4 minutes ago, Triop said:

giphy.gif

^_^

Nice. Wonder if making it wheesley powered would make it more efficient and longer range. Or maybe include tip tanks?

11 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Nice. Wonder if making it wheesley powered would make it more efficient and longer range. Or maybe include tip tanks?

I had tip tanks, + 200 LF (total 600).

yN8eCpt.png

I needed 500 LF fuel to CN, at the end my jet weight was 3.85 T.

It practicaly floated. ^_^

EDIT: I needed to zig-zag the jet to get my contracts, I know CN is possible with 400 LF with any (jet) engine, although I'm not sure about the Juno, never tried it (4 hour trip imo)

Edited by Triop

16 minutes ago, Triop said:

although I'm not sure about the Juno, never tried it (4 hour trip imo) 

Something to be tested then! *warms up KSP*

4 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Something to be tested then! *warms up KSP*

Haha, my KSP playing time is over for today, but maybe I'll give it a try tomorrow...

But please, beat me to it. :cool:

Are you going to use droptanks ?

Keep it small and light is my advice.

Goodluck !

Edited by Triop

So I had a second chance at some KSP time, and DID remember screenshots this time.  Mostly got several probes into orbit around Jool or its moons, plus another Duna crew arrived in system.

Science lander descending to the surface of Vall with Laythe & Jool in the sky:

2Hc2Waw.png?2

After a course correction, sometimes you just gotta get some space on the multi-year trip to Jool

zKYmx4z.png?2

Probes Plus "Draco" probe descending over Laythe, with Jool, Tylo & Vall in view.  I actually managed to hit land for a change.

9v7vWIf.png?2

Vall survey sat entering orbit of Vall with Laythe & Tylo in view:

r8eB938.png?2

Duna crew vehicle in Ike orbit, waiting to rendezvous with the pre-positioned lander:

jJtLaUC.png?2

3 minutes ago, Triop said:

Haha, my KSP playing time is over for today, but maybe I'll give it a try tomorrow...

But please, beat me to it. :cool:

Are you going to use droptanks ? 

Keep it small and light is my advice.

Goodluck !

I'm gonna try first without drop tanks and see how that goes.

But thanks for the advice and the luck!

1 minute ago, qzgy said:

I'm gonna try first without drop tanks and see how that goes.

But thanks for the advice and the luck!

Are you going to use 1 engine or more ?

And will you try it on  400 LF ?

I want to try this so bad now . . . :lol:

3 minutes ago, Triop said:

Are you going to use 1 engine or more ?

And will you try it on  400 LF ?

I want to try this so bad now . . . :lol:

1 engine, 400 LF. Lets see how far I can get!

Fuel levels already... dubious.

m78xe3h.png

Only a quarter the way round, but more than a quarter fuel used.... :ph34r:

Actually not even a quarter.....

Wonder if I should fly the other way round... then the KSC gets closer to me....

Edited by qzgy

I need to see this monstrosity you've created.... :o

I had to start up KSP and this is what I came up with so far . . .

kO2XawC.png

I should be in bed right now but in my bedroom it is 32 degrees celcius <_<

Scrap that, I forgot about my mini MiG 15

pheIksA.png

Maybe she can do the job, will try tomorrow.

Goodnight Kerbals. ^_^

Edited by Triop