What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Today was a doozy. I tried to put up an equilateral triangle of CommSats at KSO only to realize that my antennae didn't reach one another, so I reconfigured them to be four satellites in a square shape with one sat directly above Kerbin. However, my inner engineer kicked in and told me that if that keystone satellite were to fail then the entire network would go dark... So I reconfigured AGAIN by rotating the entire setup by 45 degrees, so that KSC would have a clear line of sight to two sats at any given moment. That way if one fails I'll still be able to run comms to my Mun base even if it's on the other side of the planet.

So with that taken care of, I decided to add a new payload lifter to the fleet, rated to carry a 30 ton payload. That was the easy part. I pretty much copied the lifter for my Joolean MMP and added some moar boosters. What was more fun was what I did with it! Using my newly downloaded hullcam mod, I built a combination vislight observatory and interplanetary comms station with self attaching (using mini-probes) arms. One of the arms exploded in orbit because the dish that opened up clipped through all four of the big solar pannels during warp. That gave me a chuckle!

So basically I put up a comms system, changed it twice, designed a new lifter, designed a new self-assembling arm system, designed a big space telescope, and put it in a 50 Mm equatorial orbit just beyond Minmus. It was a productive day!

Launched the upper half of my Eve space station. It only took six tries -- apparently mainsail engines have a tendency to rip through the bottom of the ship at full power, especially when there's six of them going at once. I had to be very careful with them during the ascent.

That's usually a sign of a launch TWR that's too high. Throttle back to keep your gee meter at the top of the green zone once you've finished your gravity turn and keep it there (i.e. be willing to throttle back some more). More struts wouldn't hurt either.

Myself, I'm still away from my main KSP box for the holidays. I'm really jonesin' for some KSP at this point...might have to break out the demo......

Came up with a new launcher design. My biggest stock launcher to-date, it can lift somewhere around 250-260 tonnes into LKO with a little dV in hand (it weighs something like 150k tonnes on the pad). It's even got a lower partcount than my 140t launcher which pleased me greatly, though it does of course mean that my smaller launchers could all use a redesign to take advantage of what I learned building this beast.

Was so damn pleased with this accomplishment that I designed a 250 tonne payload consisting of a healthy transfer stage and dual lander setup. Launched 6 of these things and sent them to just about every spot in the game.

Worked like a charm, launchers all functioned perfectly, untested transfer stages...flawless. Landers all have great twr/dV scores and im ecstatic.

Approx a game-year later and I get the last of these vessels into orbit around it's destination. Alright then, time for the landings. One after another I deorbit landers and make touchdowns on Moho, Ike, Duna, Laythe, Vall, Bop, Tylo, Dres and Eeloo.

Epic. All missions perfect, all landers safely down. Switch focus to Moho lander and prepare to do some EVA's, footprints, flags and basic science style stuff.

Hatch is blocked. And of course all these ships are identical, so all 12 landers are useless. 9 hours of my life I wont see again.

Cry...Cry some more...Sulk...Shutdown.

Edited by celem

with all these new mods for each update, I'm finding it harder and harder not to continusly redo all the experiments and exploration, finding new thigns here and there, but this was one that Extremely surprised me.

first mun mission, 12/26/13

after gettign out of the atmosphere and adjusting my orbit i had to wait for an appropriate moment to launch in towards the mun,

pretty views though: caught a wonderful bit of the son rising up over kerbin like everyone gets now and again.

I ended up having to wait till the next pass the get there. due to the muns current angle, sadly, still a wonderous view.

boring part

boring part

boring part*timeskip waiitng after maxing the hell out of crew report science

wanted to land but so much fuel spent form an attempted space-kraken attack avoided, ended up doign an EXTREMEly close flyby, BAAC9E3028BD8894929777725F58450928EF2738

and whats this i see at the top right approaching, the adjusted trajectory of my kraken survival, threw me passing by an anomlus arch!!

Win-ing

8CFBE0D068CD576D17892D0404AF6240757A7AF3

and when i mean EXTEMELY close flyby, I mean to say i missed the ground/mun mountain peak by about 30 meters much too panicking to take a screencap though would have been an awesome close call for you guys to see.

I, Loved, this flyby. danger, drama, romance, action, suspense, if there were more kerbals in this thing, it' would have been a buddy cop/road trip film!

That's usually a sign of a launch TWR that's too high. Throttle back to keep your gee meter at the top of the green zone once you've finished your gravity turn and keep it there (i.e. be willing to throttle back some more). More struts wouldn't hurt either.

Thanks for the tips! I'll give that a try and see how it works.

Came up with a new launcher design. My biggest stock launcher to-date, it can lift somewhere around 250-260 tonnes into LKO with a little dV in hand (it weighs something like 150k tonnes on the pad). It's even got a lower partcount than my 140t launcher which pleased me greatly, though it does of course mean that my smaller launchers could all use a redesign to take advantage of what I learned building this beast.

Was so damn pleased with this accomplishment that I designed a 250 tonne payload consisting of a healthy transfer stage and dual lander setup. Launched 6 of these things and sent them to just about every spot in the game.

Worked like a charm, launchers all functioned perfectly, untested transfer stages...flawless. Landers all have great twr/dV scores and im ecstatic.

Approx a game-year later and I get the last of these vessels into orbit around it's destination. Alright then, time for the landings. One after another I deorbit landers and make touchdowns on Moho, Ike, Duna, Laythe, Vall, Bop, Tylo, Dres and Eeloo.

Epic. All missions perfect, all landers safely down. Switch focus to Moho lander and prepare to do some EVA's, footprints, flags and basic science style stuff.

Hatch is blocked. And of course all these ships are identical, so all 12 landers are useless. 9 hours of my life I wont see again.

Cry...Cry some more...Sulk...Shutdown.

Would you be willing to share the .craft file? Minus the landers, of course.:wink:

Built a Station at 1000km.

Built an ssto with the new rapier engines.

Turns out that 1000km is too high to be usefull as a refueling dock so i had to move it to the mun and build a new station closer to kerbin.

Moving the station was fun though. I had a 1 man shuttle that has a docking port at both ends already docked with the station so i had to use that shuttle to take one of my modules to the mun (otherwise the station was too unblanced for the tug to fly reliably).

It was fun as the shuttle was a very early design and had little fuel and no solar panels and the lv909 dont produce electricity. Managed it though

Constructing my spacestation.

Unfortunately is there not a lot to do with it because it's wobling like crazy... Is there already a 'solid' docking port mod?

I have found mine to wobble like mad too, but I just go back to the space port and it seems to right itself. I am beginning to wonder if this is a bug in the system, or a side effect of ASAS on multiple crafts that are docked in different directions.

I visited Moho's northern tunnel as I finished up playing v.22. Now with v.23 I have gone back to Moho and drove to the southern tunnel. It doesn't seem to be there. From a high elevation it looks like its there, but once on the ground, I cannot find it. The area is flat. I drove around the pole in a spiral, searching, but never found it. Then I landed my ascent vehicle at 90 00 00S 179 59 59E.

There's nothing there. Can anyone confirm?

I killed Jeb today. ;.;

I stoleborrowed one of Danny2462's planes, the Manta Ray - Strato, for a short flight to the Insular Airfield, taking Jeb along. I ended up crashing one of the airplane's missiles into one of the scenery props there, but no problem. Eventually I decided to be a little wild and ascended into Kerbin's stratosphere, breaking the speed of sound in the process.

3668AC43B4F564E37E67136E33BE4520B9DA5848

884404B786916487D9F3E6A40693BCFE70C82CC8

758A5B30A4E686D49CCD4E9ABB2C9EA3ED20B526

However, when I was going to land, the plane began to veer completely out of control, and unable to keep it straight, it crashed into the floor. Didn't even have time to EVA Jeb out.

I took a whack at an Eve science probe mission with a roughly 40% completed tech tree and Deadly Re-entry.

Forgot the heat shields.

Went for an aerobraking pass to establish an orbit prior to landing, got rid of 2000m/s without burning up. Still had 4000m/s. Into Kerbol orbit went the probe. Whoops.

Last night I had my first (successful?) interplanetary missions, unmanned of course. I built several probes but only two made it anywhere near their destinations. Two of them were utter failures, one didn't make it out of the atmosphere of Kerbin and the other got stuck in Kerbol orbit with no batteries because I forgot to extend the solar panels before I warped. One of the successful ones was pretty standard and did a very far away flyby of Duna, it didn't have enough fuel to even attempt orbit due to my horrible calculations and I was probably on the outer edge of Duna's SOI. The other probe managed to meet up with Eve. I goofed and separated the "main probe" from the ant probe without transmitting the data from outside Kerbin SOI that it had, but the ant probe somehow made it into orbit and subsequently onto the surface of Eve. It didn't survive, but I was trying to squeeze the last bit of data I could out of it (atmo pressure and temp). I tried to suicide burn but the little engine just couldn't.

I finally got my new computer built and running by the way, the game is running infinitely better. These screenshots except for the pic of my Eve probe before launch were taken on the old computer though. And apparently Photobucket resizes everything. Humph.

The utter failure:

KSP2013-12-2701-03-17-91.png

And the somewhat success:

KSP2013-12-2722-17-11-69.jpg

KSP2013-12-2703-16-05-56.png

KSP2013-12-2703-28-43-58.png