What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Today, I constructed my station's part names UKC (United Kindgom Corporation) around MHO with only simples modules like Science Junior, Solar Panel and Pods for Kerbonaut. I'm pretty proud of the orbital rendez vous and docking after so many trainings in the tutorial, I actually made it &)
LjgmCu5.jpg

Further prep in my career save for a mission to Duna-Rald. I've got the main ship with the Hab/LifeSupport+Centrifuge+fuel depot already assembled and in orbit, on the way to Mun for topping off.

Have a working design for getting my cargo SSTOs (for Rald or Duna) to orbit. I had a working sub design, I wanted to use a shielded docking port, so I couldn't attach the sub in the VAB

Te6y6QD.png

Gtfdjum.png

Te6y6QD.png

So I got the sub to orbit, I was designing the "Surface base Package" for Rald/Duna, I was going to re-use many parts from my Mun base with some tweaks/optimization, and ended up spending a lot of time redesigning the rover actually meant for roving (as opposed to the module-rovers that are terrible at roving).

I was able to reduce part count from 52 down to 42, and added lights to it:

EwKllwT.png

Then to make it even simpler for the kerbals to walk from one platform to the other, and to provide power when the gigantor is not extended:

pkr3UQm.png

I may just get rid of the gigantor altogether, and after that pic, I swapped out the fuel cell for a fuel cell array.With the fuel cell+fuel container+batteries, its equivalent to over 5 of the 2.5m battery packs, so it can rove quite a bit at night

When mission control knocked on the door to the engineering shed only to find a note that they had all gone fishing, there was only one thing to do - find the nearest unsuspecting intern and make them a scapegoat.

To his credit, junior intern Nugget Gaelan, snared while unwisely hanging about by the water cooler, did actually manage to design a spaceplane that got to LGO with 2.5km/s in the tank.

G9mL2S2.jpg

Ok, so it wasn't an SSTO, but as Nugget rightly points out, spaceplanes are hard. We gave him points for trying and promoted him to senior intern. Twice the responsibility and exactly the same affordable wage.

More importantly, the Belisama Anemone is now stocked with a trio of pilots, allowing the station to function as a control point for any probes in the Grannus system! Sort of. We're not entirely sure whether we have radio coverage of the whole system, but we figure it'll at least cover Belisama and Nodens, and we can always send out another transmitter module within a couple of weeks if it becomes necessary.

WORd3CM.jpg

Upon the return, swapping into the seat for what Lyssa considers the 'boring' part of the flight, Jay discovers that intern Nugget might have left some critical components off the ship. We demoted him back to junior and cut his pay. Thank goodness we have pilots who can handle such a lacklustre craft safely!

Also someone spotted that the lab on Belisama Anemone is pointless since it is impossible to ever actually transmit the data back to Gael... This seems to be an oversight we can't reasonably blame on Nugget, but we'll try anyway.

6 hours ago, ARS said:

Oh crap...

Don't give up, it may yet be recoverable!

Edited by eddiew

Today was a long day (for me) in KSC...

YU8ezKK.png

Let's launch this!

Attempt 1: Initial design

4R23sfM.png

It attracted the kraken... :(

Attempt 2: Reinforced the main wings

qq8ycD7.png

Wingtips exploded on contact with runway

Attempt 3: Moved the launch site, give higher clearance

l8GisJh.png

Flies for a bit, goes uncontrollable and explodes mid-air

Attempt 4: Reinforced all wings, moved the launch site, added additional landing gear

nRsMDsn.png

Come on Aegea... Please... Fly...

B5cWA6J.png

That's it! Fly! Fly!

1QiqcpP.png

Oh come on!

Attempt 5: Reinforced all engines, added new landing gear

EKHigmU.png

Explodes as soon as it touches the runway :(

Attempt 6: Back using previous configuration, make the body inclined to provide natural lifting force

ZF07TJH.png

Aegea... You can do it...

wzpSJro.png

That's it... That's it... Keep going...

lqdOu2p.png

:(....................

Attempt 7: Strut the main components, give higher clearance from the ground

VaTh483.png

I forgot that the wings is too wide for the runway... It hits the ground fuel station :P

Attempt 8: Moved the launch site and making sure all parts reinforced even further

OoHp6SC.png

Aegea... You're doing great... So far so good...

cnV8N3O.png

Losing an elevon!

krLn6pV.png

One engine explodes!

Xs5i8Ty.png

Total system failure!

hZrwMsc.png

Back to the sea you go...

May you rest...

In quiet slumber...

Edited by ARS

I wasn't gonna post, but then Space Oddity played during one of my many Space Station docking procedures and since I'm high on Mechjeb I had all the time to enjoy the show with the right soundtrack. 

Also, the station is supposed to build rockets so it's called Corellia. Nobody cares, you'd say, but I have to put it somewhere. I don't wanna be the only one that thinks that was an awesome idea.

Straightened out a couple missing mods in my RSS/RO/RP-1/Principia setup, started a new career (Moderate difficulty -- my first time at other than Custom eased a bit from Standard - no Kerbal respawns this career!), and completed the "first launch" contract -- after wasting some time trying to design/build a WAC Corporal, only to discover I didn't seem to have any FINS!!  Seems they're neglected in the starting parts you get when you accept the "First Launch" contract.  I realized I did have (access to) some of the B9 Procedural Wings, only after I'd assembled and launched a "Captured V-2" using the A-4 parts.Got a few science points even from that (and missed at least one -- there'll be other flights for "low atmosphere"), not to mention setting a bunch of World's First records for speed and altitude.  I grabbed the last telemetry and destroyed the rocket just after it entered space proper (140 km), because the battery was almost gone and I wasn't sure I'd be able to destruct without EC, and it was headed uncomfortably close to the Bahamas.

In the end, the flight was good for close to :funds:40,000 profit over the (very modest, because captured parts, I presume) cost of the rocket.  Not bad for only :funds:50,000 starting funds.

Thinking about building a purely suborbital vehicle.  Sydney-to-Stuttgart in 90 minutes kinda thing...  I guess on Kerbin that would be like 15 minutes.  :)

Something along the lines of this:

tvqH3G5.pngNb4nK6K.png

Edited by Hotel26

I realize I haven't done anything for the past couple weeks.... eh whatever. Not strictly today, but I recently made a completely new shuttle design for the shuttle challenge. Why? Because I can. and the other shuttles would probably lag too much....

oWW133e.png

Spoiler

OKK4nJV.png

adQ2R6y.png

76ZhzJT.png

5xbCKZw.png

Oh I also went to visit Triop's hole. Or the one in the arctic. Only ended up killing bill or jeb though when I crashed into the water.....

HGO45kS.png

Neat little plane though.

I improved on the design of my planetary cycler ship.  The newest version will hold 7 kerbals plus a small amount of KIS storage and boasts ~12 km/s dV with its "Lightbulb" atomic drive.  I'm not currently running any life support mods, but it does come with a greenhouse module in case I do - plus I liked how it looks.  Other than than, I tinkered with Near Future spacecraft mod a little, and ran through a pile of mid-course correction maneuvers.

09Kfpoe.png?2

3 minutes ago, Addemup2002 said:

but if I've done it before, I can most certainly do it again

You would think that, but not always the case.  My first manned Duna landing - flawless from start to finish.  Second crewed Duna landing (with the same ship design), reloaded like 5 times, maybe more.  :D

@ARS If hitting those tanks along the side of the runway is an issue you can just move the plane to the side in the SPH, Though one would think so the game doesn't actually automatically center the craft upon launch.

That's what I have to do with my Pelican!

DTNSyVZ.jpg

This thing still barely has enough room even then. But as long as your behemoth's wingspan isn't over 150 meters then this method should work just fine!

47 minutes ago, Kronus_Aerospace said:

@ARS If hitting those tanks along the side of the runway is an issue you can just move the plane to the side in the SPH, Though one would think so the game doesn't actually automatically center the craft upon launch.

That's what I have to do with my Pelican!

DTNSyVZ.jpg

This thing still barely has enough room even then. But as long as your behemoth's wingspan isn't over 150 meters then this method should work just fine!

My craft's dimension:

ECOxdUh.png

180 m.... So I guess it does have a hazard of hitting runway fuel tanks (Though to be fair, since my design is flying wing, it's kinda makes sense that the majority of my craft consists of wings). I actually have't realized this problem until 7th attempt since previous attempts either ends with rapid unplanned disassembly or summoning a kraken

Thanks for the info about the 150 m limit, though. I'll keep it in mind for further behemoth design  :)

Edited by ARS

Pondered the possibility that the skycrane I was working on for Beli Rumbler has gotten out of hand...

RWUdtSZ.jpg

I mean, yes, yes it is 56 tons and actually less aerodynamic than a brick, but it also has 4800m/s at 0.45 twr in vacuum, which is overkill for its destination. The dual pairs of massive legs from Lithobrake Exploration Tech allow it to rise off the ground to drop the rover, or squat down onto it to couple up again without breaking the suspension. And it's all balanced within 0.1 kNm of torque around the central docking axis allowing it to hook up at both top and bottom with minimal effort.

Tbh I think this thing needs to go to space tomorrow.

1 hour ago, eddiew said:

I mean, yes, yes it is 56 tons and actually less aerodynamic than a brick, but it also has 4800m/s at 0.45 twr in vacuum, which is overkill for its destination. The dual pairs of massive legs from Lithobrake Exploration Tech allow it to rise off the ground to drop the rover, or squat down onto it to couple up again without breaking the suspension. And it's all balanced within 0.1 kNm of torque around the central docking axis allowing it to hook up at both top and bottom with minimal effort.

Why not just use some actuator to move the docking port up and down? Then you can lose a pair of legs.

8 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Heh, I love that. ^_^

“you’re coming along whether you want to or not, tail!” *gets a rope*

The other option of course was to let it float off there and coax it to come along. The engineers wanted to be sure it would.