What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

13 minutes ago, RocketScientist said:

Thanks! And yeah, but I found you can still EVA by clicking on the hatch.

Yes, good solution, never tried the MMU, looks great

So if you've encoutered the same bug, be aware about the science lab, in one install, it was impossible for me to make it working...

:)

Edited by kurgut

Today, in my 1.3.1 RSS/RO/RP-1/Principia save (Nineteen Fifty-One! Take Three), I actually got my Bonanza off the ground.  Val wanted to fly something, and someone in another thread had suggested I taxi off the runway and take off and land on the (smooth, level) grass, so I did.  Easy to get off the ground, and the Bonanza isn't underpowered after all -- except by comparison with an A-4, I guess.  Open the throttle, and if you can keep it running straight you'll be able to rotate in less than fifteen seconds.  Then it's a matter of getting the trim dialed in while you pull in the gear and raise flaps.

Landing is another story entirely.  I think the craft may be a little nose heavy, or just plain heavy (400 units of fuel in the cabin, plus another fifty or so in the wings, adds some mass).  It takes a lot of up elevator trim to fly, and when landing, it seems impossible not to bounce (even when below 35 m/s, which ought to be a reasonable landing speed with half flaps).  A bounce turns into a second bounce, and the second bounce loses too much speed and becomes a nosewheel impact, which then slams the tail into the ground.  After the tail explodes, the cabin, with wings an engines attached, usually flips over nose first and explodes.  This is hard on pilots, of course.  I probably reverted to launch at least a dozen times before I got a landing Val could walk away from.

Later, I put a cockpit and a pair of stubby wings on an A-4 to let Jeb and Val go supersonic before the Program has the technology to build an airplane that can do it.  Half fuel at launch kept the cockpit from overheating, though the flight significantly exceeded the 400 m/s rating of the X-1 cockpit.

qIL4DVA.png

Jeb tried to fly a contract for 69 km altitude in the machine, but with half fuel, it couldn't get there (30 km was about the limit).  He tried one launch on a full tank, and made the height, but things got a little hot coming down.

bttwpTO.png

Yes, this is how it's intended to return.  With a glide speed of 200+ m/s, and only those tiny control surfaces on the A-4 fins, there's just no way to land it horizontally.  Jeb doesn't seem to mind much.

Fortunately, the tech guys came up with a cockpit that could handle higher stress and more heat, and someone said something about another contract for 90 km.  It was on!

WXZXXxI.png

Of course, this was a missile capable of easily beating 200 km in surface-to-surface operation, and exceeding 300 km when flown as a sounding rocket.  The drag of the wings kept it from that kind of height, of course.

AFNkb4G.png

There isn't enough air at 100 km for the wings or control surfaces to do anything, but that also means you can eject the cockpit when you're ready; timing isn't critical.  On a later flight, Jeb actually went above the detectable atmosphere, peaking at 150 km.

HwqbmLz.png

Splashdown!  The parachutes may have been slightly miscalculated; descent speed just above the sea is a mere 2.5 m/s.  Better soft than breaking stuff, though.

Loy1EmS.png

And, of course, if you give Jeb a new toy, you'd darn well better give Val a matching one.  We all know that rule...

OK.... My good friend @adsii1970 just posted this on his profile...

The Thai Space Program!!!

This is brilliant!!!

And, well... After I got done laughing, I kind of had to see if it worked in KSP.... hehehe 

Edited by Just Jim

First KaSS ( Kerbinterstational (awesome) Space Station ) module in orbit, historically the Zarya module. :)

Launched with Protonuk rocket..

Igy58Xc.png

Next, the unity node 1module is coming!

PND3vZo.png

Edited by kurgut

1 hour ago, Zeiss Ikon said:

Today, in my 1.3.1 RSS/RO/RP-1/Principia save (Nineteen Fifty-One! Take Three), I actually got my Bonanza off the ground. 

Later, I put a cockpit and a pair of stubby wings on an A-4 to let Jeb and Val go supersonic before the Program has the technology to build an airplane that can do it.  Half fuel at launch kept the cockpit from overheating, though the flight significantly exceeded the 400 m/s rating of the X-1 cockpit.

And, of course, if you give Jeb a new toy, you'd darn well better give Val a matching one.  We all know that rule...

The Pokey cockpit is the best.

F4ref7i.pngzOWna3c.png

Like this one also.

YP8oyk2.pngLjoGQ7U.png

Put on some retro thrusters for avoiding burniness.

Edited by Bornholio

First spaceplane in this campaign returned from its first successful mission:

36516940_10213860581081517_8587939429367

Still unlocking the tech tree, so my part options were limited. Four Whiplash ramjet engines pushed this thing to a high acceleration during a steep ascent through the lower atmosphere, then when the air is too thin for them to operate a single Dart toroidal aerospike engine begins a low slow burn until the craft is in Low Kerbin Orbit. Once there, it dropped off it's payload (a small probe with an attachment arm meant to deorbit debris) and deorbited after one orbit. It had sufficient fuel to cruise back to the airfield on its Whiplashes, and because airbrakes are not yet unlocked it had to make due with drogue chutes to stabilize and slow down breaking on the runway.

36479479_10213860653443326_9204816811768

Edited by Fearless Son
Wanted to put in a picture of it in better lighting.

52 minutes ago, Fearless Son said:

Once there, it dropped off it's payload (a small probe with an attachment arm meant to deorbit debris) and deorbited after one orbit.

The payload in question attached to a spent booster from a previous mission, preparing to burn to a sub-orbital trajectory:
36460238_10213860811927288_2578314665025

The probe burned to deorbit the booster, then it turned out to have enough delta-v left over to do another mission, this booster in a much higher elliptical orbit.  Ran out of LF/O, but had enough monoprop to do the job anyway:
36550975_10213860954890862_5488975308163

Edited by Fearless Son

I just landed a mining vessel on the Mun on a relatively steep slope (18° and the ship is 20m tall).  It seems to be stable but it is steadily sliding downslope at 0.2m/s.  I'm a little worried that if I move to a different vessel I won't be able to return without the thing tipping over.  Well, I guess that's what RCS is for—that should be able to restabilize it, since it worked the first time. 

Fortunately, the drills are able to mine even while moving!  I wonder if I'm moving to a better or worse ore concentration :o

43 minutes ago, RocketScientist said:

What mods are you using?

Well, a lot, and they're mixed here, but procedural parts (for the spherical etc) lonesome robots station parts, station parts extension redux, Cx aerospace (also station parts), ven stock part revamp, procedural fairings. And I think that's all what you can see from the parts on the pics. :)

Unity node-1 done, launched with the Herkul hybrid rocket-shutlle launcher!

Rendez-vous ad docking

ZURe8Fx.png

More docking hidden just below

Spoiler

dfSMDqw.png

Docked! this solar panel was juuuust at the right place hopefully to allow docking

V8SP74P.png

Jebediah is gonna to grab the Unity with the brand new CLOMU (Cool Looking Orbital Maneuvering Unit)

fAPfJ8K.png

Docked, and go back home

kixGNly.png

But we had a hard landing in moutains, everybody survived. next: Zvezda module for life support and crew cool facilities (kitchen, toilet, bed, etc)

otN02c0.png

Edited by kurgut

Was in the mood for KSP, originally planned to make just 1, but ended up making 2 variants instead.
HMQeORy.png

mMYIF8q.png

BkiAaCL.png

These run low amounts of fuel to be balanced.
The longer version, the 15/35, runs on slightly over 800 units of fuel, weighs 13 tons.
Short version, 15/25, runs on 380 units of fuel, weights like 10tons.

Sent up a Hab with Hub to the MOLE station.

y2gBari.jpg

7uRMSUn.jpg xYmopn7.jpg

Sent up this service module? to that station. All it does is provide tankage, part of which is for returning goods (or not-so-goods) to the surface in style. The service module is meant to land back on Gael, preferably undamaged.

OUoTVtJ.jpg

Then I took care of two moon orbiters (on at each moon) and brought home some science at the peak velocity of 5km/s, with a fabulous fireworks show around it..

kADWW79.jpg

c8CvbGb.jpg

And then sent the third thing today up to the station: some crew, plant science and a KIS box in a drone plane (not an SSTO).

UK2gdQT.jpg

arY5AAf.jpg JqPxpx3.jpg

The KSS build keeps going, two missions launhed, first the Zvezda module with life support and crew facilities and then the fiiiiiiirst Truss and an other PMA. Respectiviley launched by Protonuk  and Herkul launch vehicles.

Zvezda doking.

4MyEz87.png

Herkul rendez-vous

oaMywQA.png

Docked, cool shiny stuff

sbvs68c.png

The two new modules installed, start looking intersting!

7QZDJLV.png

64 is going down...

BoTzh54.png

64 is going down hard...

64 is going down...

Dj6xOQL.png

We're going down!!!

SAr7M1A.png

Super 64 is going down! I repeat, Super 64 is going down! All available units proceed to secure the crash site, over

Wvd2njj.png

[Just another day at KSC :P]

Edited by ARS

Finally after hard and long time working on EVA (to replace naughty non working docking ports..) we managed to implement the P6 truss segment with enoooormous solar arrays and radiators. The station is now stable and at the same time we sent the expedition 1, leaving for the first time 3 crew on board for 133 days..

Next the first laboratory will come: the Destiny module, after all, we also want to do a bunch of science with all this stuff.

Hard docking time..

tLRMS3i.png

Looks cooool ins't it? :)

KnZMo7f.png

Here Bob in the Russian Zvezda module starting managing the station's systems

Tkw3XYH.png

And Bill in the Unity module, ready to EVA for repairs or assembly (or for fun).

RwUcfYk.png

Edited by kurgut

I built a mini spaceplane

62p6YgM.png

Direct ascent!

BlKNOJb.png

Burning up!

tt0fRjQ.png

And... we left the atmosphere

nFX75vD.png

Still imperfect, many critical systems such as RCS, parachutes, etc. is still missing. I'll rework this design further

Edited by ARS

Today I remembered why I love the Spark engine. I decided to build a rocket that is capable of going to Minmus and back 3 times, on its own not that impressive of a feat. However, this rocket does so using only Sparks!

EpFnshp.jpg

The engine count is 909 Sparks, which is a new record. Delta-V wise the craft has lots of wiggle room, with 5600 m/s per Minmus mission. As a Minmus mission only requires 5250 m/s this rocket should be pretty easy to pilot.

OE3M8wP.jpg

Kurw6y9.jpg

The final rocket has a mass of only 4.5 tons, making it the smallest Minmus capable rocket that I've made.

vatfiCE.jpg

The only step left is to fly it.