What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

1 hour ago, NHunter said:

You aren't the one who finished their construction project today, man.

I've finally finished building my Extraplanetary Launchpad base on Ceti by adding fuel storage module (and 2 more mining excavators):

olgls8k37ks5lrgzg.jpg

Even without extra drills, that thing had a dry weight of ~70 tons and took ...awhile to construct. Now I can store whooping 26k liquid fuel, 280k liquid hydrogen, 51k oxidizer, 12k monopropellant, 12 800k argon and 45k xenon to quickly fuel-up whichever ship I decide to build there (I still need to fill those tanks, of course)

Stock parts me, first career ever

xnUD7gB.png

My first attempt with probe carrier and lander. Aim: drop probes on Duna and land Kerbals on Ike.

The trial and error and frequent save method revealed the following shortcomings:

1) The probes lack antennae to transmit science.

2) Lander has insufficent fuel to touchdown, not to mention reorbiting from Ike.

3) Lander can be embarked via EVA, but not disembarked due to obstructed hatch. 

Anything else works just fine. The party will get EVA reports (and fix this and that reports) from above Ike and return.

Edited by sumghai
Fixed image

My Rover landed on Dres

NYlUtOs.png

The half broken Explorer-1 is going to burn for 2 hours now (2x Timewarp is the highset i can use to prevent Explorer-1 from going crazy :mad:)

OeMSJBK.png

On 11/17/2018 at 4:03 AM, Zosma Procyon said:

I added the 5th section to my Minmus Long Base. I decided to add a tower, although it made flying the thing a bit harder.

eUL2LSs.png

9VtpGGT.png

Pro-Tipp:

Dont drive with it when you need to drive it make NO TURNS!! :D

i dont think it will stand after a turn with higher speeds.

I picked up a rescue contract, and decided to see if how it would work adding a recovery claw in place of a shielded docking port on my CS-08 Lightning spaceplane.  Much to my surprise, it worked pretty well. The temp bar on the claw was as close as I've ever seen to full red without blowing up - but it worked.   I didn't get any shots of the actual rescue, but I snagged the debris, transferred the new scientist to the crew cabin, then once in position performed the deorbit burn & released the debris to burn up in the atmosphere.  It worked so well, I did it a second time to snag another new scientist.

Coasting to Ap, the claw is still a little red from the climb

Bm5BkW8.png?2

Reentry, coming over the KSC mountains. 

y2yl53G.png?2

Long final, descending through clouds

AtMnOd3.png?2

I used CorrectCOL and WindTunnel to come up with a jet plane that is:

-Twin Engine
-Lighter than 6 tonnes
-Able to cruise at transonic speeds in dry mode (over 320 m/s)
-Go supersonic (max mach 1.8)
-Aerodynamically as efficient as possible
-Fuel efficient
-Flight time of at least one hour
-Crew of two
-Easy to fly
-Easy to land.

Here it is:

CXrMeJh.png
ITZw7vS.png
0DsODHw.png
wFPTc4X.png

It also pulls 10G's in hard maneuvers. She's fun! &)

Edited by GDJ

I've been bouncing back and forth between actually grabbing all my mods for 1.5.1 and doing a full modded 1.5.1 game, and going back to 1.3.1.  Decided on 1.5.1, so I made a full list of the mods installed in 1.3.1 and started doing small batch installs in 1.5.1, making sure everything works.  Won't be doing much playing in there until KJR and US2 are sorted, but it is nice to see the pretty mods are working great.

16screenshot2.png

84escreenshot4.png

Not much really. I'm watching my mom's dogs and they're needy. Still I managed to decrew 4 of my oldest outposts on Laythe and Vall, all 25 years old and land a new mobile base on Vall. The only bases were all over 25 years old. The rendezvous the return shuttle was in orbit, after which I crashed the abandoned bases into their assigned worlds.

5Pp5xYZ.png

This is one of my most common stationary base designs. And without cheats or advanced tweakables it is and its sibling survived reentry intact and were apparently obliterated on impact with the water. As you can see is passed near to my first mobile boat base on Laythe, Vespucci Base. I have a sea plane base en route to Laythe, but it's still 100+ days outside of Jool. The bases I abandoned and destroyed today were named Salm and Holman on Laythe, and Furud Base on Vall.

nKZ2Sui.png

Flawless slash down.

Oh boy, my new modded OPM career save is being very very busy now. To make things harder, I'm progressively lowering science rewards - its now at 40% and unlocking new tech nodes is now a real challenge - and that's when the nodes have the unlock cost of 160/300 (And im using CTT, so there a many more nodes). 

The space program has their hands full, with several probes being sent to Eve,Duna,Dres,Jool. I''m using probes because I have TAC Life Support installed, and I wanted more science before the next Duna transfer window rolls around, at which point the KSC will undertake its most ambitous misson to date.

I also installed DMagic Orbital Science because 1:The stock science system isn't helpful for orbiters, and 2:I really need the science.

Here are some highlights - IMAGE STORM INCOMING

Spoiler

MdIYScH.png

Went to SOI edge, collected Kerbol science, came back.

fPFuxQx.png

This is Spartan 2, a basic Duna orbiter, you know to 1st ever.

YpgcPOc.png

While the probes were out working, we expanded our roster by rescuing 13 kerbals in 2 days - 7 on 1 misson, 6 in the 2nd. The wrecks you see here are were all generated together so somewhere, all the companies sent kerbals to low minmus orbit, stranded them on the same inclination and orbit and called us. I got them all.

Twu6R5y.png

Then messing around in my Sandbox save (I use it to test mods) caused this to happen.

7qBIvGJ.pngUKOyWc0.png

Spartan 1 was going to Ike, when the aftereffects of the game break continued to plague a save it wasnt even generated in.

EYwdCBO.png

Then Ike broke. THen I shut KSP.

ZuSa17y.png

My 1st probe with the DMagic parts - Metria 1, a Orbiter/Lander headed to Eve. 

The Metria series are a class of Lander/Orbiter probes, designed for atmospheric bodies.

XO5oKAV.png

Here's Onlooker 1, a Dres probe. 

The Onlooker series are a class of Orbiter probes, for median Solar System observations - Moho,Dres,Jool,Sarnus.

Del18xG.png

Here's Onlooker 2, the first Jool probe, heading out.

iKwwLGG.png

Here's Weird Science, the 1st space station. I used to test and abuse the massive DMagic antennae, along with using a science lab for some more science.

ZbHNMEz.png

At the end, to get some money, I deorbited the whole thing. Ripped of the arrays, but its okay.

Ti5tQjF.png

Metria 1 approaching Eve.

rIJcOD8.png

Metria 1 Lander in reentry

g5Md9Ca.pngxHKFrrF.png

Chutes deploy

bvFYa7s.png

Landed in Crater Lake

dXKYnKc.png

Metria 2 was sent to Duna, and here is the lander.

My next priority is to launch Metria 3, a Laythe Probe, followed by Onlooker 3, to Sarnus. Alongside that, I'm going to send a probe to Gilly, and try to land and collect all the science I can. I'm hoping to unlock the LV-N next with whatever I have, so that I can send Onlooker 4 to Moho.However, if the Duna launch window crops up, I'm planning the Manned mission to Duna.

Career is getting really hard now, but its fun!

Gotta admit, I skipped the docking tutorial.

Then my Duna return mission (one that couldn't place lander on Ike or transmit from probes) fell victim to xenon depletion bug. Luckily, it had enough to end up on a highly eccentric orbit around Kerbin.

Bulit a rescue probe. Did a rendezvous.

Realised I can't dock it. Didn't learn how to. Well, whatever.

Waited for apokeum, oriented the manned kerbed ship retrograde. Moved the rescue craft bumper to bumper.

klIowKT.png

Guess what, it worked 8)  Decreased perikeum below 80km, aerobraking did the rest. Experiment data intact, crew safe (after rolling down the steep hill).

So... I've been thinking... What if we make flying cities on Jool? Cities that can self-sustain themselves, stay at one altitude, and don't differ from that altitude, even in the harshest conditions? Imagine the possibilities! Flying continents! Bill is going to love this idea!

A few hours later...

Ok, I may not have thought this through. Bill and Bob are now frothing at the mouth and Jeb and Val have evacuated to the other side of the system. Huh.

Time for Plan B.

3 minutes ago, Kebab Kerman said:

So... I've been thinking... What if we make flying cities on Jool? Cities that can self-sustain themselves, stay at one altitude, and don't differ from that altitude, even in the harshest conditions? Imagine the possibilities! Flying continents! Bill is going to love this idea!

A few hours later...

Ok, I may not have thought this through. Bill and Bob are now frothing at the mouth and Jeb and Val have evacuated to the other side of the system. Huh.

Time for Plan B.

Frothing at the mouth? :unsure::lol:

Just now, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Frothing at the mouth? :unsure::lol:

Probably in pure terror. Honestly, I'm scared of what I'm capable of. I feel like I'm playing Undertale, I'm able to decide who lives and who dies, who exists and who stops existing, and if they ever existed at all. I think I might need a break.

But we all know that ain't happening SoonTM ;)

Just now, Kebab Kerman said:

Probably in pure terror. Honestly, I'm scared of what I'm capable of. I feel like I'm playing Undertale, I'm able to decide who lives and who dies, who exists and who stops existing, and if they ever existed at all. I think I might need a break.

But we all know that ain't happening SoonTM ;)

Yep. Have any more projects to slaughter Kerbals with?

1 minute ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Yep. Have any more projects to slaughter Kerbals with?

Surprisingly, no. Actually disappointing myself for once. Most of my time lately has been spent sleeping, I have a really bad case of insomnia lately and I'm trying to force it out by sleeping as much as possible. So far, it's actually working. Well, that, and I've been trying to find the time to start work on parts for BelugaBays, as currently it has nothing in it except a cat picture.

Also, it turns out that Intel GPU's are not meant for gaming. I can't record any KSP videos and it's making me sad because I can't afford a more powerful one :(

1 minute ago, Kebab Kerman said:

Surprisingly, no. Actually disappointing myself for once. Most of my time lately has been spent sleeping, I have a really bad case of insomnia lately and I'm trying to force it out by sleeping as much as possible. So far, it's actually working. Well, that, and I've been trying to find the time to start work on parts for BelugaBays, as currently it has nothing in it except a cat picture.

Also, it turns out that Intel GPU's are not meant for gaming. I can't record any KSP videos and it's making me sad because I can't afford a more powerful one :(

Try running KSP on a notebook. My fan heats up like a jet engine when I screenshare KSP on Discord

Spent my weekend my new career save after making the transition to 1.5.1 from 1.4.5 late last week. On Friday I was able to verify that the few remaining mods I hadn't been able to get working on Thursday were all up and running. The version of Protractor I had found was from 1.1, which certainly explained why it wasn't working properly. Wound up just copying the directory over from 1.4.5 and it fired right up. Still getting messages from AVC but they're nothing I can't live with for the time being. I also spent time on Friday removing deprecated KAS parts from my extant craft catalog and replacing them with the new pieces. Surprisingly, I didn't have that many KAS craft left - just the Hellhound 7 rover and Spamcan 7 lander variants, six craft all told. I also spent some time getting used to the Pathfinder mod in 1.5.1. Now that the mod is working as it should, I'm having to get used to playing it by the rules - no more putting up three Hogans (they're called Castillos now) at once because the Equipment isn't being expended, stuff like that. It means that neither the earlier TBD 7 seed rover nor the Boot Hill 7 outpost craft have sufficient Equipment to inflate all four of their base modules at once, so I'm having to revisit both designs. Didn't have as much time as I would've liked over the weekend to work with these craft. I did experiment with the Buffalo trailer hitch and a trailer wagon full of equipment, but the stupid thing had a tendency to blow all the wheels off of the TBD and itself upon docking. Why wheels in KSP are as explosive as they are, I will never know...

Anyway, Jeb made Kerbin's first orbital spaceflight on Friday, collecting orbital EVA and barometric readings from low over Kerbin. His craft didn't have sufficient delta-V to make it to a high orbit over Kerbin and still return to the surface, so he deorbited after collecting his last set of readings, which were for Kerbin's Badlands. The general career game began after his safe return. I did several parts tests afterwards in a single flight, most of which involved hauling parachutes of various types up to various altitudes in the atmosphere.

On Saturday, I adjusted the design of my basic Beep-Beep 7 probe such that the craft no longer required a fairing and so that Stage Recovery could retrieve the parts of the booster intact. I wound up flying two of these probes over the weekend, one to a high polar orbit over Kerbin, the one to an ever-so-slightly-inclined high equatorial orbit over Kerbin. Bob was loaded aboard the Munshot 7 flyby craft and sent towards Mun, picking up the missing high Kerbal science contracts as he went. Val flew the Bad Idea 1a survey plane to perform a temperature survey in the vicinity of KSC, and managed to land the plane intact from the rear gears forward - one of these days I will manage to land a Bad Idea 1a intact, I swear. Val also flew with tourists Hudemy and Barfrod to LKO aboard a Kerbal Tour Bus 7 Light craft, damn near making it into a stable orbit in a single burn (final orbit after launch was 104 x 61 k), which I attribute to screwing up the ascent but doing so somewhat helpfully. The three Kerbals attained a stable orbit and then returned safely to the ocean a hundred klicks east of KSC. Two parts tests two place and two rescue missions were launched as well, with scientist Rodemone Kerman successfully retrieved before the day was out. By the end of Saturday, all of the buildings at KSC were at Level 2 except for R&D and Administration.

Yesterday my probes were put into their final positions and three more kerbals - engineer Beamon Kerman and scientists Frovan and Lenbal Kerman - were rescued safely from LKO. After upgrading Admin and R&D to Level 2, Lenbal was tasked with taking surface samples at the various KSC biomes aboard the Scimobile. In the process, he also finished a three-point EVA survey in the vicinity of KSC and did a few more science experiments in close proximity to the space center. Bob also finished his flyby of Mun and is now on his way to his apoapsis over Kerbin, where he'll burn to put his periapsis on a sub-orbital trajectory; he'll arrive there in three days. At this point I have two space station contracts - one for Kerbin and one for Mun - and an outpost contract for Minmus. I also still have the Mun exploration contract, two rescue jobs and an aerial survey at higher altitudes than I can reach. Really hoping to get where I can get Mission Control fully upgraded in the very near future so I don't overly clog things up too early...

56 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Try running KSP on a notebook. My fan heats up like a jet engine when I screenshare KSP on Discord

I currently use a laptop, if thats what you mean, but I'm currently trying to save up money to buy a new GPU, specifically a GTX 960, because it's good for gaming and it's the best I'll be realistically be able to buy anytime soon. The GPU I have now is an Intel i7, and it cuts out and restarts in the middle of playing many of my games, making them virtually unplayable half the time. Except for KSP, all it does is screw up textures for it.

3 minutes ago, Kebab Kerman said:

I currently use a laptop, if thats what you mean, but I'm currently trying to save up money to buy a new GPU, specifically a GTX 960, because it's good for gaming and it's the best I'll be realistically be able to buy anytime soon. The GPU I have now is an Intel i7, and it cuts out and restarts in the middle of playing many of my games, making them virtually unplayable half the time. Except for KSP, all it does is screw up textures for it.

Ok. My laptop is like 4 years old, but it gets the job done well