What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

After reaching Duna I discovered that my "Ike" lander did not have enough fuel to land and return from the surface. (I thought it was like minmus, but ike is much more similar to the mun.)

Refusing to go home without science from Ike's surface, Jebediah managed to land the entire 60 ton interplanetary ship on a flat surface on Ike.

Mission accomplished.

I wasn't very worried about fuel. I still have over 2/3s of my fuel left after achieving Ike oribit. (Started with over 10,000dV when I left Kerbin orbit) Next time I just need to bring a larger fuel tank for the lander.

Edited by Alistone

I completed a Moho orbital insertion.

Plot Twist: The entire mission was done on Ion engines!! (aside from the launch, that was by SSTO shuttle)

I was a bit apprehensive before the launch of this mission to be honest. The thought of doing as delta-v intensive mission as a Moho mission on the weaksauce ions (I know they are way more powerful than IRL) was daunting. Turns out, if you split the mission up by burns, Kerbin ejection and transfer, plane change, and final braking , and do them days apart whilst doing other missions in between then it isn't so bad. Also, thank Almighty Jeb for 4x physics warp.

Putting it into orbit. Seems like forever ago

Wz4bJrW.png

If you want that spaceplane you can find it here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/65174-Thunderlane-Mk-3-the-cargo-SSTO

Arrival at Moho

Fw0qXvk.png

eWsUmBx.png

Finally in orbit

O55z3yw.png

84yaaBK.png

As you probably know, there is no way ions could have slowed it down fast enough once it got inside Moho's SOI, so I started my braking burn a while before that. That's a trick i picked up from Scott Manley

Now to see if I can do anything interesting with the 1600 units of xenon I have left

Edited by SofusRud

Performed a direct entry from Minmus and landed on the KSC grounds... unpowered. (Parachutes, mind you, but that level of precision and lucky timing is unusual for me. :))

EDIT: One "double dip" reentry later, I landed less than 30 meters from the launchpad. Not bad for a spur of the moment landing!

Edited by MaverickSawyer

I decided to take some kerbals on a Grand Day Out.

qaLGwk9.png

rvillWq.png

UknSRo8.png

Unfortunately, my S.S.T.O barely made it to orbit, let alone the Mun.

8pciYeB.png

Then, we had a problem.

wVezcH1.png

So I left Bob in orbit, to be recovered in time. The others should have enough fuel to land.

AdZGLkA.png

S6WtD1S.png

xPmF3Ay.png

V5VqEFK.png

Almost, now cut the engines before it bounces...

DMy3i1b.png

Opps.

I need to redesign this. Grand Day Out.. postponed.

Was boring..so, I did this...Floor plan of my house.

http://i.imgur.com/FFghXey.jpg

I remember doing something like that a few months ago. I was building a bridge for a massive starship Enterprise type ship. I eventually gave up on it when I realized I'd never be able to finish constructing it, let alone flying it anywhere.

I decided to take some kerbals on a Grand Day Out.

*pictures intensify*

Opps.

I need to redesign this. Grand Day Out.. postponed.

could I ask what mod you used for those EVA suits?

today I tried to build a helicopter with firespitter.

think I'm gonna stick with jets.

I created a "clean up batter" ship called the "DV-Fusion" based on a previous test using the same design now circling Lathe in the Jool system. The Mods are KPS Interstellar, SCANSat, Beastly Science (The scope for soil sample) and a Kethane scanner. The ship has attached 4 scanning satellites to be deployed later. 2 Tri-Landers capable of 3 mun hops each. 2 remote probe landers (w/ soil sample capability) which can be set down via parachute on an atmosphere world or normal set down on a low gravity body and return. This should clean up getting most science points in the kerbol system with 2 flights ( one away from the sun and one toward the sun). A bit of a massive effort but.... As a note I am getting some cpu crashes with adding the Landers and remote landing probes to the DV Fusion. --BJ Quest

Lift off of the DV Fusion

JDiZhPC.png

Ready for it trip/mission

SYc2lKy.png

My first aerobraking :D

The probe left Jool with lotsa science. First time going back home i didnt think of the aerobraking, so i went straight through Kerbin's SOI. This was the second try. It ended up kinda well, with a 510x80 orbit. Had almost no fuel left after the maneuver to put the periapsis in the right place :P

Now i'll send a rescue ship to it (hopefully, i put a docking port on the probe).

Now i'm

Built my first ever modular surface base. Here it is assembled on Kerbin:

S58TbFW.png

It will probably go either the Mun, or Duna as it is (the Lander in the top right is only suited for low-grav worlds. The plan is to eventually, with a little modification, to send it to Laythe.

My first-ever successful orbital rendezvous! No mods other than Kerbal Engineering. My orbiting Kerbonaut is now officially an orbiting gas station attendant.

Now I can finally go for a Duna landing instead of just flying by and barely getting home on fumes!

My first-ever successful orbital rendezvous! No mods other than Kerbal Engineering. My orbiting Kerbonaut is now officially an orbiting gas station attendant.

Now I can finally go for a Duna landing instead of just flying by and barely getting home on fumes!

Gratz on the rendezvous! It certainly opens up a lot more options in the game

Yeah it got redonkulous piling more stacks together to try for interplanetary moves with my densely-packed command modules. I can see how learning to refuel in orbit will be a giant leap for kerbal-kind. It took me about an hour to meet up with my one-launch KSS station (basically a big fat fuel and RCS tank with solar, IPS, science module, and a cupola). Soon I may make it a bigger station.

In the process I learned a lot about relative maneuvering to a target with the navball, especially at the end - it was basically many small maneuvers to lessen relative velocities and correct my corrections. Next time I will approach it with a different navball-centric method which should save a lot of time and fuel.

:cool:

I completed a Moho orbital insertion.

Plot Twist: The entire mission was done on Ion engines!! (aside from the launch, that was by SSTO shuttle)

I was a bit apprehensive before the launch of this mission to be honest. The thought of doing as delta-v intensive mission as a Moho mission on the weaksauce ions (I know they are way more powerful than IRL) was daunting. Turns out, if you split the mission up by burns, Kerbin ejection and transfer, plane change, and final braking , and do them days apart whilst doing other missions in between then it isn't so bad. Also, thank Almighty Jeb for 4x physics warp.

Putting it into orbit. Seems like forever ago

<snipped images>

If you want that spaceplane you can find it here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/65174-Thunderlane-Mk-3-the-cargo-SSTO

Arrival at Moho

<snipped images>

Finally in orbit

<snipped images>

As you probably know, there is no way ions could have slowed it down fast enough once it got inside Moho's SOI, so I started my braking burn a while before that. That's a trick i picked up from Scott Manley

Now to see if I can do anything interesting with the 1600 units of xenon I have left

Good work. I had never seen anybody mention slowing before getting into the SOI before but was thinking of trying the same thing for Moho, nice to see it's a viable option. As for what to do with the thing now, land it.

I decided to send Jeb on a Duna vacation in the ship pictured below, he didn't take any other pics. Trip was pretty nice, he was pretty sloppy with the launch, so practically all of the transferring was with the lander stage. Reinforced the notion of how much DV you can save by using proper launch windows and shooting straight from Kerbin orbit (and Duna on the return.)

The only funny part, well funny in retrospect, was when returning to Kerbin. Was totally in Kerbin's SOI and had a 33k periapsis set near to the equator and was thinking it would be nice to watch Kerbin approach from space. So of course my fingers got possessed by the Kraken and we warped right through and out of the SOI. I went back out to map view to see just how horrible a situation we were in, and there he is in an orbit with a Kerbin encounter next go around. So 2 Kerbin years later he's back home.

m47PAbG.png