What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

1 hour ago, capi3101 said:

Myself, I'd like to figure out how to plane and how to sub with the Buffalo parts - both things I haven't fiddled around with enough.

If you do opt to go for a dive in the Buffalo... might want to pack a nuclear reactor. The water thrusters are extremely EC hungry.

Ditched my outdated lander design, but kept the the booster as it still contains a large amount of fuel I can use upon return of the Thoroughbred series commercial lander's maiden voyage.

5jYukAP.jpg

It seats potentially 6 passengers but will generally have a scientist on board for fulfilling contractual obligations.

eT1xac0.png

Once I get this fuel offloaded a shuttle will need that port to dock with the station to transport personnel as well as a recently rescued Locan Kerman. Unfortunately he is yet another pilot; one position that has already been filled quite generously.

slrXwKS.jpg

Edited by MisterKerman

Today, the first crafts from my Otho fleet reached their destination. And, unlike the probes I've sent to closer planets, these rely on nuclear power instead of solar panels.

tw80s2m3lxhjja7zg.jpg

...And for a good reason: from here, Ciro looks really tiny. Yes, that little white flare is the system's sun

6i2v9g0o287jiikzg.jpg

- Capture burn:

7027whpx2ukkujhzg.jpg

- Otho orbit achieved!

3o2jas1t4hx7i0uzg.jpg

Arriving a few hours after the relays there were two explorer probes. This one will be exploring Hephaestus and Jannah.

osyhav2v8nh6ofbzg.jpg

So a few days back I mentioned that the Kerbin to Duna transfer window was approaching. well, it's about time we got that mission done.
Step one is to launch a Commsat to orbit between Kerbin and duna, deemed KerbCom 1

TmWZc9P.png

Both of these missions are literally the exact same craft, launched on the exact same lifter, the only difference being the location launched to.

626vx38.png

Because of the early launch, almost 120 days before the transfer window, KerbCom 1 will be the first probe outside Kerbin's SOI.

iHSzanv.png

And that marks our first probe around Kerbol! I'll keep you guys updated on the mission when I get around to launching the main probe to duna.

2 hours ago, capi3101 said:

Pretty cool design - I might have to steal emulate it at some point myself.

I'm pretty sure the cabin can't be reconfigured, but since you're using Buffalo already, you might think about Pathfinder's Doc science lab. In its default configuration it works much the same way as the stock lab. I think while it's stowed it'd fit inside the cabin - no need for new parts there. You'd need 1200 Equipment and an engineer with a KAS screwdriver to deploy it once you got where you were going. That might not be entirely in the spirit of what you want to do, but it's certainly doable.

Myself, I'd like to figure out how to plane and how to sub with the Buffalo parts - both things I haven't fiddled around with enough.

I tried the Doc. It's rather tall and would make things rather uncomfortable in the long run. Fortunately there isn't much science left to gather on Gael, I think, but the rover combo should work very nicely once I get to do manned missions on Niven. Most of the science farming is being done by a supersonic OPT science plane. However, it doesn't have the range to make the largest hops that I want it to and it's not equipped with ISRU.

I also need to figure out how to sub with Buffalo. I'd have to make the rover itself longer, maybe even wider to meet all my needs right now and trade the need for a heli.

41 minutes ago, MaverickSawyer said:

If you do opt to go for a dive in the Buffalo... might want to pack a nuclear reactor. The water thrusters are extremely EC hungry.

If Pathfinder is installed and the S.A.F.E.R. is available (depending on where you are in a non-sandbox game) you can go with a few of that.

6 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

I tried the Doc. It's rather tall and would make things rather uncomfortable in the long run. Fortunately there isn't much science left to gather on Gael, I think, but the rover combo should work very nicely once I get to do manned missions on Niven. Most of the science farming is being done by a supersonic OPT science plane. However, it doesn't have the range to make the largest hops that I want it to and it's not equipped with ISRU.

Hmm...what about MOLE, are you running with that? The basic MOLE lab has much of the same functionality of a Doc (they're both WildBlue mods), and its cylindrical. I think the only functional difference is that the Doc can hold four experiments while the MOLE only does two. MOLE parts are generally 1.875 m but they come with adapters to the standard sizes, a definite plus in this case (the Bigby parts that come with the mod are 2.5 m).

Not particularly impressed with Buffalo's ISRU options my own self. Then again, I've probably never used them correctly.

"OPT" is an acronym I'm either not familiar with or is being consumed in a wave of nascent mental flatulence...

@capi3101 I'm using MOLE, yes, but putting wheels on a cylindrical crewed part is usually among the farthest thoughts from my mind. Actually, Bigby is 3.75m. It's the core of my current largest orbiting station. Thanks for the idea, I may add an option for Airline Kuisine's long Mk2 cabin to serve as a lab.

You'll see a KIS-sized cube with builtin solar panel on either side of the rover. That is Buffalo's Micro ISRU which has an OmniConverter slot each and can be reconfigured to use any of the dozens of ISRU templates available across WBI. They are there because of the same shortcoming of the Buffalo inline ISRU. I think I'll PR Angel-125 to address this.

OPT means Orbital Portal Technology and it's a very prominent large spaceplane parts mod. Click on OPT Showroom in my sig to see what people build with those parts.

Hey all Kerballovers.

Nelan as been flight testing the Viper-X.

A modified variant of the Viper with two cockpits a docking port and fuel mining equipment.

XfldGA5.png

Flies well enough in atmosphere. A rarity for something I build with wings. But then Bill did help me.

Spoiler

OOPETVr.png

Good autonomy. Best Spaceplane I have built yet. Can comfortably get to Minmus from the KSP.

From there she got it to Ike then Duna.

A last minute add-on was MechJeb.....Right on the only ladder by the only available hatch.....Grrrrr-!@#$%?&*(). But they did get back in....Eventually.

zwJnzex.png

Spoiler

wREmXOK.png
yoZY6cK.png
RH1LCrv.png
QmOQfil.png
Wwl9IHj.png

From Duna back to Kerbin with fuel to spare. Enough for a Rendez-vous with the HighLab. Amazing.

Nelan is thinking of doing a Grand Tour with it.
She might ask but then she does have the spare keys......

ME

Edited by Martian Emigrant

Well... that was disappointing.

After all the fun of rescuing the crashed Rover mission, repairing the Rover with KIS/KAS and so on... actually driving the rover anywhere to do anything is about as much fun as pulling teeth.

Kelvis and Maduki drove over to the pre-existing SEP layuout, and have expanded it with the next experiements, recalibrated the old ones and so on... but no way am I driving onto the next biome. That was no fun at all. Back to the drawing board. First up: A means to rescue Kelvis and Maduki from the Mun Highlands.

Launched my first mission to Jool in, well, I think ever. At least my first serious one, instead of enabling unlimited fuel and running a Vector and a fuel tank until I was at a fairly ludicrous speed (to Jool in a month!). This one's built around Probes Plus and Bluedog Design Bureau...

qMP1fWT.png

Launch of the Jool Explorer atop an Atlas V 502G...

jMArBYB.png

Ejection burn for Jool.

9HdzRXG.png

Kerbin and the Mun from 63 Mm above Kerbin...

CmhIIh3.pngMinmus, captured a few minutes later...

vgSo7Gq.png

Our destination... Jool.

The above images were captured using the camera aboard the Jool Explorer...

h4NLDQo.png

The camera is one of 19 (!) experiments packed aboard the craft, not counting the ones aboard the Laythe probe...

yK2ywU2.png

The plan is to do a slingshot around Jool towards Laythe, drop the lander on a descent course, and divert the orbiter so that it skims past Laythe and uses the moon to capture into a highly elliptical orbit around Jool. That'll shave off something like 450 m/s dV needed to prevent the orbiter from slingshotting into the black, allowing me to run further flybys in the future with that extra fuel. That 450 m/s is around 15% of the entire fuel load, btw... so with a little luck, that's going to turn into a LOT more passes. XNF4yzf.gif

Cruise phase is currently the name of the game, as it'll take the whole package the better part of two Kerbin years to make it to Jool...

C7t50EP.png

I also checked back in on my Minmus Outpost's mining rig after the new, full-size crew arrived...

akSyr2n.png

That's a lot better than I'd expected! I've launched a refinery package to the base to start making use of that ore, but that's... (looks at Kerbal Alarm Clock window) nearly 8 days to go still. I think I may have a full load of ore waiting for me at the base when the refinery arrives. So... do I design the fuel shuttle to carry monoprop up to the orbiting station to fuel the lander that I have there, or do I simply make a transfer pod to go between the two facilities?

Decisions, decisions... hmm.gif

So, started the serious business of making a mini-mun mining platform to send to the Mun to help refuel the trapped Lander. 

jJkjtPY.png

Spent much of the time reeducating myself on how the Rover Autopilot works.  

izFsqvo.png

I might have to drive the last few meters myself when approaching the Lander.  I assume I may have to put an antenna on the thing too.  Otherwise I am not sure it will work with just a probe alone.

j6or85a.png

Maybe more testing.  And a smaller design?   Hmmmm....

OjlVrCU.png

Then I would have to design a Booster to get it into orbit.  And have another Nuke-Tug launched to take it to Mun orbit.  To the drawing board!

As you may know... Jeb was stranded (again) on Ceti's Poles but now I was able to bring him back home. The task: Land at the GSC. We don't want to sent out a recovery team!

But we all know Jeb, don't we? So he underestimated the inclination and what should I say...?

Ya great! Gosh... damnit Jeb!

GqOr4EG.jpg

5kBhBrZ.jpg

RRZCGfF.jpg

Today the efforts to rescue the crew of three, who's ship is stranded in the water of Eve switched from sea trials of the recovery boat, to the transporter that will take the stranded ship from the water's edge, to the ascent vehicle.

Here is the latest design of the transporter, with a mockup of the craft to be rescued on its back. The ascent vehicle can be seen in the distance.

i1T4Ruy.png

The transporter was carefully positioned beneath the mighty ascent vehicle.

buAXN3K.png

With the erector section of the transporter in place, the drive section was moved away from the test area.

Nb136uI.png

After erecting the dummy vehicle, it was found to be misaligned with the docking port on the ascent vehicle. Something that might be catastrophic for the 3 stranded kerbals.

r3fP9Zp.png

But with some nudging using the drive section of the transporter, the alignment of the dummy vehicle was improved, then was raised on its landing legs and docking appeared to be made with the ascent vehicle. However a strange physical anomaly occured at that moment, destroying the pad and throwing the ascent vehicle tumbling into the air. Fortunately it landed upright, and in once piece.

Vi6L6xK.png

Additionally the dummy vehcle was confirmed to be docked with the ascent vehicle, and the crew of 3 were unharmed.

DZCv4Oq.png

The next round of testing will be on the last major piece of the puzzle in the rescue chain... mating the transport with the dummy vehicle at the water's edge.

Edited by purpleivan

Today has been a rather busy day over here: two final ships of my Otho fleet arrived.

1. The Lander and it's transfer stage / spare fuel storage. It's first target is Augustus.

te3icqojrw9sojvzg.jpg

2. The Otho Atmosphere Diver probe - a "small" probe meant to dip into Otho's upper atmosphere FOR SCIENCE!

- Damn, Otho has some fascinating thunderstorms... they are quite hard to catch on a print screen though.

g8nlcci4hfm1834zg.jpg

- Heat shield deployed. Ready to enter Otho's upper atmosphere.

ylx2wjwgq2n5x7wzg.jpg

iv5cb2tu9121ldizg.jpg

- Jettisoning the no-longer-needed heat shield. Thankfully, the remaining fuel is just enough to drag this craft into stable orbit somewhere close to Augustus, so that the Lander's crew can eventually rendezvous with it and collect the science.

zt9azcmtcsu8bzjzg.jpg

And while I was playing with the Atmosphere Diver, the second of mapping satellites had arrive to Hephaestus.

acn15c558bq97xnzg.jpg