What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

On 5/6/2019 at 5:14 PM, Sky Vagrant said:

I guess this is something I did yesterday but then the game did to me (or I noticed) today, but the moons of Jool chucked my mapping probe on a fast trajectory out of the sun’s SOI.

I had mapped the three inner moons and then had enough dV to do a flyby of Pol from Tylo. That all went well and I Kept an eye on it for a while afterwards as it got chucked around the Jool system, but it seemed to settle into a 45 degree orbit  just inside of Tylo’s. Then I time accelerated about half a year and went back to check and found this. Looks like 20 years and 200 days until it leaves the system, so I’ll have to check back on it then.

Pretty cool because I probably couldn’t have achieved this if I tried.

This used to happen to me.  But, it only happened when I was making planets in Kopernicus.  In my case it seemed to involve placing a moon's orbit outside the planet's SOI.  But, that would not be the case with Jool's moons.

(1.6.1) After three attempts at putting the Echo Flyer 7a resource quadcopter on the surface of Eve yesterday morning, I finally got it right it right; the craft landed safely in the Highlands approximately thirteen kilometers from the stricken TBD 7d base-seeing rover. That was where I left things yesterday.

This morning has been quite the trial.

So apparently, I missed the bit that says a Typhoon tiltrotor blade (of which the Echo Flyer has four (rather obviously) - they're a Buffalo part) requires 148 EC/s at maximum thrust. The Echo Flyer has a grand total of 1 SAFER reactor aboard for a power source, which outputs 125 EC/s. Craft probably worked just fine on Duna because the engines weren't being taxed to full power, and I didn't note the power supply problem on Kerbin because I was keeping the flights short. Sure proved to be problematic on Eve. Nothing I couldn't overcome with reverting and experimentation; ultimately, I flew the 'copter in bursts of about 4-5 kilometers each, flying until the onboard batteries were at about 40% charge before landing. I'd make sure the autopilots were off, quicksave, let the batteries charge back up and then get back into the air. After three or four flights, the copter finally arrived at the rover.

5100eGw.png
Yep. This was unnecessarily painful. Going to have to recycle this copter eventually...

Once the copter arrived, engineer Gilford Kerman was tasked with getting the tires the copter had brought onto the rover, a task made unnecessarily difficult by the rover's tendency to slide down the slope on which it was located. It was necessary to move the copter in front of the rover's path of travel due to it sliding as far as it did. Mind you, this was with the Buffalo airbrake set; thing shouldn't have been moving at all. Gilford did finally get all the extra tires put on and at this point all that remains is to offload 5000 units of Equipment onto the copter. I'd have done this already except TAC chose an inopportune time to take a nap on me. I'm still hopeful that the transfer of the Equipment will remove enough extra weight from the rover that it will finally be able to drive without popping tires; it's still doing that at the moment. If that doesn't solve the problem, I'm stuck with Plan B, which is to fly the copter over to the intended outpost site with all the outpost parts and Equipment in multiple loads. Given the recent discovery of the power supply problem, that option isn't as appealing as was at the start of my day today...

Tomorrow marks one month since KSP 1.7 dropped. A fair number of the mods I use still haven't been updated for compatibility with 1.7, so I'll be sticking with 1.6 for a little while longer. I'm still going to remain optimistic about the TBD 7d and its mission to establish a permanent base on Eve, something that I'm sure will happen some time in the next day or two with any kind of luck at all.

(my first Jool 5 mission) KASDA's interplanetary flagship Negi Maru finally arrives in the Jool system with an assist from Tylo

qX9OZLp.png

Its first destination is Pol

Yi8Bh7u.png

Bob lands using Jool Rabbit 1, a refuelable lander meant for all the airless moons of Jool

P2FmlSt.png

Jeb and Bill use the WiM-10 miner to refuel the mothership

5MZbr3L.png

U88GQTI.png

Edited by Pipcard

(1.6.1) Welp, the extra tires on the TBD 7d base-seeding rover didn't do the trick, so my plan to put a permanent outpost on the surface of Eve went over to Plan B this morning. First thing I did was to have engineer Gilford Kerman unload a stowed Pondarosa Habitat module (all non-stock modules mentioned in this post are probably from the Pathfinder mod) and set it up to inflate, using a Saddle Muncrete Slab as a foundation. Once that was done, a Chuckwagon storage module was set up for Equipment and attached to the Pondarosa, at which point Gilford started unpacking the rest of the base modules from the rover's rear Wagon to the Pondarosa. With that job complete, the contents of the rover's forward Wagon - the remaining Equipment resources - were piped into the Pondarosa via KIS resource transfer station. The transfer station was unhooked and stowed aboard the Pondarosa, at which point pilot Lerod Kerman got out of the rover to assist Gilford in unloading the stowed SAFER reactor and attaching it to the nascent outpost. With that job complete and with the TBD 7d verified as being effectively stripped of all useful resources, scientist Rodemone Kerman joined Lerod and Gilford aboard the new temporary outpost designated Echo Station 1 and Mission Control scuttled the TBD 7d rover from the Tracking Station.

Had some issues with the Buffalo Airbrakes when I went back to continue the plan...

9dyyQ7Y.png
Okay, that's it. I quit...

To date, this has been the only time I've left off an airbrake and had the structure fall to the ground without immediately detonating. I'd've left Echo Station 1 floating in mid-air, except it obviously is rather worthless in that configuration.

So now as the only means of transport available, the nearby Echo Flyer 7a quadcopter was drained of the Equipment it had onloaded the day before and its Mule container reconfigured for general KIS storage. The second Pondarosa module - the Blacksmith fabrication lab, what I think of as the core module - was loaded aboard the copter along with a second Saddle, at which point Lerod and Gilford boarded and made the 35-kilometer flight to the target zone. Owing to the power supply problems I mentioned in my post from yesterday, it was necessary to fly in stages ranging from eight to ten kilometers or so per flight. Lots of quicksaving, some crashes and reverts - but the two kerbals ultimately arrived at the target area first scouted by the Echo 2 rover.

YSljnxA.png
Your new home, guys. Obviously the landscaping was done by Thanos.

Gilford got out to unpack the structures that had been brought along, which was when I realized that he'd left the KAS screwdriver back at Echo Station 1. Lerod and I took turns insulting him - Gilford was left standing on the surface with 1.1 tonnes of Pondarosa on his back while Lerod flew back to Echo Station 1 to go get the screwdriver and pick up Rodemone while he was at it. Ideally, Lerod would've picked up a load of Equipment to bring back with him, but the KIS resource transfer station had been stowed aboard the outpost rather than left out where it might've been able to make the transfer...

At the moment, Lerod and Rodemone are about seven klicks out from the target site with screwdriver in hand. At this rate I can expect to make eight nerve-wracking trips between the two outposts - one to get the rest of the base components, and the other three to load all the Equipment. It does occur to me that I really only need one load of Equipment to get the base up and running, but there's not much sense in leaving it all out there. Besides, I'm going to want that nuke reactor at some point.

This is liable to be my gameplay for the foreseeable future, y'all, and it's probably going to be as exciting as it sounds, so if you don't hear from me for a while, be rest assured that I haven't fallen off the face of the planet...

Well, my Tylo relay ship slingshot went better than anticipated (meaning I almost screwed the pooch but got lucky).

I set periapsis to 7415m so as to get the right capture into the Jool system for my RA-100 ship about 1.5 years out, set my Kerbal alarm and did not adjust/maneuver anything after that.   Usually I crash into stuff.

Tylo approach and pretty Jool...

PETrMCB.png

Whoa...was that a ground reflection?...

YE1cgUp.png

Must try again but with my HUD in place this time.  2000m, 1000m, 161m....

Thf9i9x.png

Wait, what? 000000m!  How this be?  My maths are amazing!...

acL10rv.png

Yay, no splosion!  Tylo exit and pretty Jool (I'm heading south on Tylo now so Jool is tilted...ha ha tilted Jool)...

i1ErSG8.png

In the words of Colonel John “Hannibal” Smith...

Image result for a team plan comes together

AKA I'm a bloody lucky fool.  No pooches harmed btw. :)

Have a good day guys! 

Edited by Red Stapler

Finally came up with a unified naming scheme for missions by body.

Moho : Pushan (Vedic god of roads & journeys, equivalent to Pan who Hermes was split off from)

Eve : Ishtar (Babylonian goddess of love, power, and Venus, among other things)

Gilly : Tammuz (Mortal lover of Ishtar in Babylonian myth)

Kerbin : what

Mun & Minmus : Manned missions are routine, so no

Duna : Dunex

Ike : Phobos 

Jool : Perkunas (Baltic god of thunder)

Laythe : Hestea

Tylo : Gravitas

Jool Moons : Encompassed under Perkunas

Sarnus : Saturnalia

Urlum & Neidon : Ariac

Plock : Nix

Today, I lost a Kerbal...

qqlFBHA.png

Do you see Sigrie Kerman ?

It's a total mystery for me . . . ( careermode 1.7 ) :blink:

EDIT UPDATE:

The mystery continues, I did the contract hoping it would be a glitch...

xaYCQ0r.png

The contract is not completed, but where is Sigrie ? ? ?

I haven't lost a Kerbal, so WHERE IS SHE ? ? ?

DsYQM9s.png

giphy.gif

Edited by Triop

I've been designing a Laythe Base. Only problem is I don't know how to move it to Laythe lol

XQ1Lsbe.jpg

I've been messing around with quite a few designs for transporting the base, but man is Laythe's atmosphere difficult to safely enter from Kerbin. I'll probably end up performing gravity assists to slow myself down first.

2 hours ago, The_8_Bit_Zombie said:

I've been designing a Laythe Base. Only problem is I don't know how to move it to Laythe lol

XQ1Lsbe.jpg

I've been messing around with quite a few designs for transporting the base, but man is Laythe's atmosphere difficult to safely enter from Kerbin. I'll probably end up performing gravity assists to slow myself down first.

You must use your friend Tylo to get a nice Jool capture, then much less Dv needed as you are going much slower when you get to Laythe

Nice base! You can do it with 5 ships and plenty of parachutes/last minute landing engines.  Haha, good luck.

Edited by Red Stapler

I made a small exploration aircraft

lny7vlf.png

Despite it's chubby appearance, it's surprisingly maneuverable

sO8NZ3l.png

It has a maximum of 6 crew capacity and space for science instruments

LeMPFPQ.png

It has a maximum speed of mach 0.8, slow enough for comfortable flying. Maximum operational altitude is 10 km, any higher and the engine flames out

FZTInnj.png

Also, since I need some thrill...

Bwe1bLe.png

BANZAIIIII!!!

1 hour ago, FrostBird347 said:

Looks Amazing!

Thanks!

4 hours ago, Red Stapler said:

You must use your friend Tylo to get a nice Jool capture, then much less Dv needed as you are going much slower when you get to Laythe

Nice base! You can do it with 5 ships and plenty of parachutes/last minute landing engines.  Haha, good luck.

Thank you! And yeah lots of Tylo assists are most likely in my future lol

Spoiler
10 hours ago, ARS said:

I made a small exploration aircraft

lny7vlf.png

Despite it's chubby appearance, it's surprisingly maneuverable

sO8NZ3l.png

It has a maximum of 6 crew capacity and space for science instruments

LeMPFPQ.png

It has a maximum speed of mach 0.8, slow enough for comfortable flying. Maximum operational altitude is 10 km, any higher and the engine flames out

FZTInnj.png

Also, since I need some thrill...

Bwe1bLe.png

BANZAIIIII!!!

It's a turtle plane :D

Finally, some further progress can be reported with our ongoing Kerbin Supertrek...  the following is a rather complicated crime scene (involving at least one stolen vehicle):

feF1bV4.png

As far as Forensics have been able to piece together from satellite photography [pretty good resolution, hey?!], this is some of kind of illicit gang activity between (left-ro-right):

• a Juice Goose
  • a Gryphon III
  • Pandora ferry
  • the Supertrekker Pacemaker

This fuel transaction all took some while as the Juice Goose was found to have its claw either angled variously too high or too low to hook up with the Pandora (or the Pacemaker, which was already mounted atop the Pandora), and so the director had to launch a Harp Gryphon, hurriedly upgraded to the Gryphon III mobile version, from the nearest despatch airfield (Dessert).  [Not even going to mention the Harp pilot, parked up out of sight on the nearby hilltop, lying belly-wise in the grass with a pair of Zeiss high-powered field binoculars, monitoring the whole scene...that's, uhm, redacted]

Shortly after our surveillance satellite orbited over the horizon and out of view, this mess was split apart (without injury) and the Pandora, with Pacemaker still mounted atop, lurched back into its natural watery habitat for the second of about seven projected water crossings [according to plans stolen from @Triop headquarters] in this marathon epic Kerbin circumnavigation.  [And yes, that is a word we crime scene investigators do not get to use often enough!]

Edited by Hotel26

Landing mine rover on the Eve)

KFWhxEv.png

n7M1dBo.gif

Landing here 

Spoiler

XyGAR6p.png

GKdiIFb.png

iA8bSLf.png

K7M5TYm.png

ihJcvnz.png

w4NHb4L.png

VG4udDI.png

Wheels are permanently damaged while driving on the surface. The crew definitely need an 3 level engineer to ride. Spring strenght must be at minimun or the rover will start jumping as stunge horse..

Ke7LFhC.png

p4fHvHh.png