What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Made a bigger one. This one handles very pleasantly SAS on and off. I think I'm getting the hang of this...

s5O1oBJ.png

9AW8ycn.png

ggKlHAC.png

https://kerbalx.com/Brikoleur/BAK-11

11 hours ago, Ron Devu said:

So it looks like the idea of throttling back to avoid wasting fuel fighting aerodynamics is completely wrong! If you can fly without exploding, go max throttle for max results.

It depends on your rocket design. If it's slippery, max thrust all the way. If it's draggy, then yes it helps to throttle back until you're out of the soup.

1 minute ago, Urus28 said:

Training myself to precision landing with my insect...

Looks like you just completed your your training!

3 hours ago, Klapaucius said:

Oh yeah?  With a blistering top speed of 2/s, MY boat will dust you in a race.    :sticktongue:    (I think a race between 2 mobility scooters would actually be more exciting.)

Thanks for saving me the trouble of trying screws tonight.  Now I can get on with more interesting stuff instead :).

3 hours ago, Ron Devu said:

Is it possible that the program is calculating the thrust for these boats as if the propellers were in air and not water? If so, those props need to go a LOT faster.

From what I can tell, the so-called "water" in KSP is not a fluid but simple a force field, and the only calculation involved is how much resistance this force field applies to the motion of parts attempting to move through it or fall into it.  Kerbin's atmosphere is (I think) the same way, only with more calculations done to more believably fake being a fluid.

The upshot is, moving parts like paddles and screws don't push any "water" backwards, so there's no 3rd Law force resulting to push the craft forward.  This really shouldn't come as a surprise given that we've known for years that submerged control surfaces are pretty much useless.  I should have known better than to waste any time with this, but the desire to have a paddlewheel boat was too strong :).

4 hours ago, Brikoleur said:

All right, I think I've got the BAK-50 series tamed. Rotor tuning discovered that slightly larger four-bladers work best. I also remapped the controls for easier flying -- now I/K controls collective much like W/S controls pitch, which is more intuitive. I also mapped the engine power/clutch to the Lights group so you can see if it's on or not -- now landing is much easier as you can simply switch off the engine and once touched down, brake the rotors to a stop (I tuned that too so that it's not too abrupt). And I added some solar panels for unlimited (daytime) endurance. I also added a control for collective pitch limit for more athletic flying.

I very much like it now and I think I'll move on to something different. Maybe a bigger version.

Updated craft is here: https://kerbalx.com/Brikoleur/BAK-50-x2

Anybody figured out yet how the custom axis groups work? What do you do to activate custom axis group 01 for example?

Pic related:

jaWVGIP.png

I think a lot of folks want to learn from your success. I see you already have 35 downloads on KerbalX. That's got to be some sort of short term record.

I certainly enjoyed flying it and I've learned a lot already from your approach. 

Edited by Klapaucius

(1.6.1) Haven't yet jumped onto the Breaking Ground bandwagon just yet, but it occurs to me that I'm nearing the two month mark since 1.7.x was released, so I think I might begin the process today. Still haven't gotten past Gilly yet, so I'm once again liable to skip the early game, which is unfortunate...

Did a pair of Alcubierre Drive warps yesterday, sending LSV House Atreides back to a 442x246 kilometer, 1.45-degree orbit over Kerbin from Eve, and then sending LSV House Harkonnen in the direction of Duna from Kerbin after the South Base outpost near KSC sent up supplies to both warp ships via mass driver. While still in interplanetary space, Jeb piloted Gilligan away from Harkonnen far enough to exit physics range, then turned around, rendezvoused with Harkonnen and docked once again. In doing so, Jeb cleared a pain-in-the-butt exploration contract to rendezvous two craft over Kerbol and unlocked the next Gilly exploration contract, which will be to dock two ships in orbit there and return a craft from Gilly orbit. Still haven't received a go-ahead to land there yet. Harkonnen proceeded from there to Duna, coming in at 5.5 kps; she began warp-backs at that time, and reached a 225x101 kilometer, 2.4-degree orbit over the red planet just this morning. Engineer Gemlorf Kerman and Bill boarded Gilligan's back seat upon arrival, and after refueling, Gilligan departed Harkonnen for the Bi-La Kaifa Shipyards. Jeb is delivering Bill and Gemlorf there to help man LSV House Corrino when she launches, which is coming up in just a few days time. Part of Corrino's mission will involve the delivery of rescuee scientists Wehrdas and Lutop Kerman home; while the Bill Clinton 7c grabbing Lutop's Scrap has been in orbit of Duna for a few weeks now, a new G-LOC return-to-Kerbin craft design had to be made (the original was only Mun-rated) and printed up in order to get Wehrdas off the surface; he's currently parked at the Enchova Central outpost there. The G-LOC 7a will be finished in just over another hour's time. Both the Clinton and the G-LOC are docking-capable and the plan today is to get both of these craft up to BLK for the launch. Only other thing I did yesterday was send up an Auk XVI 12-passenger spaceplane to space station Kerbinport, docking safely there. The Auk hauled up a group of colonists for Minmus as well as a number of passengers heading towards Duna and Eve. I'll be sending out some folks to Minmus as soon as I can get a Minnow 7 craft over to Kerbinport; the only one available right now is T. Howell III parked at the Dystopia Planitia shipyards, and the whole shipyard is currently out of gas...

Ain't as interesting as flying 'copters, true. Lack of screenies doesn't help either... 

Thanks @Klapaucius

These choppers are fun but frustrating. Tuning them is something of a dark art. The BAK-11 is the best-flying one of the bunch so far but it looks really ugly; I've been trying to make a somewhat prettier one and while I've gotten it to the point it's flyable it's nowhere near as good and I have no idea why. Absolutely minuscule adjustments to rotor fore/aft position makes huge differences to handling, I suspect it's due to the way KSP's control model determines the control adjustments based on inputs. The prettier BAK-11 (the BAK-13) is now extremely roll-happy, has decent yaw control, but really doesn't want to respond to pitch inputs. Why? No idea.

Began a new career last night, as per my tradition whenever there is a new major content update.  Titled it "Kerbal Robotics Program", in honor of Breaking Ground.

Nothing too spectacular to report, just doing the initial contracts and a few basic things to get enough science to get to orbital capacity.

16 hours ago, Ron Devu said:

So it looks like the idea of throttling back to avoid wasting fuel fighting aerodynamics is completely wrong! If you can fly without exploding, go max throttle for max results.

That's been my experience ever since 1.0 came out.

Prior to that, I would keep the throttle lower during ascent due to the "souposphere" nature of the atmosphere during the beta stage.  I might still do that if lifting off of Eve though, if only because the atmosphere there is so much thicker and hotter than on Kerbin.

Okay, with a smaller ship, it's a little easier to control. I'll have to experiment more if I want to scale up for large bases. I fully intend to create a permanent base on Jool. You heard me right. Jool.

kPMpsUu.png

1xMFUQ0.png

15 minutes ago, Levelord said:

I built a thing, but I'm not sure how to control it yet.

SAS on. Pitch will accelerate forward or backward. Roll accelerates you left or right. Yaw points you some place. Up and down pretty much is dependent on throttle.

Couple of mods out there for you nascent 'copter jockeys are VerticalVelocityController and RCSLandAid. They've helped me with the Echo Flyer. Couldn't say about Breaking Ground.

1 hour ago, capi3101 said:

SAS on. Pitch will accelerate forward or backward. Roll accelerates you left or right. Yaw points you some place. Up and down pretty much is dependent on throttle.

With servos we now have collective, which gives much more precise control over up and down.

Today, was a good day . . . :cool:

BREAK DANCE

Z2hANRv.png

Video :

Spoiler

File :    https://kerbalx.com/Triop/Break-Dance

How to control :

1 = Main rotor on/off

2 = Main rotor reverse

3 = Platform rotors on/off

4 = Platform rotors reverse

5 = Brakes, not really working ?

6 = Lights 1

7 = Lights 2

8 = lights 3

ENJOY !

Edited by Triop

On 5/29/2019 at 9:01 AM, ARS said:

Today, we did some testing on new craft design, this one is Black Falcon

gffyiwQ.png

HekpeUS.png

LEu2q8g.png

9qUOzdJ.png

This one is Black Lightning, and we go REALLY overboard with engine modifications

NxY3QiV.png

xEXCKkX.png

zz9rmnm.png

That...

is awesome!

Way too cool, dude!

On 5/30/2019 at 5:41 PM, Frank_G said:

I finally have it back... a working Duna VTOL SSTO... and this time it is made of stock parts only.

On final approach:

i60X9Ge.png

Landing configuration:

1Nl5jfX.png

Touchdown!!!:

TX45b5l.png

...and retro-configuration for deorbiting, without turning the plane around:

omCGSNE.png

Thank you @SQUAD, for all these new options and possibilities. I especially like the way, one can control single robotic parts in multiple ways, using more than one controller.

Hallo - I'm just catching up after a few weeks away, but I just love that aerospacecraft. 

I must be dense though - I've been trying to figure this out for forever, and haven't managed it. I'm therefore just asking: how on earth (or rather Kerbin) do you manage to make fully-reversible nacelles with stock parts?! I'm trying to deduce it from your pic, but I'm still scratching my head here.

Thanks - and great pics!