What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

2 minutes ago, Zeiss Ikon said:

Really?  You don't think the Doomsday Device, the Mugato, or the Gamesters of Triskellion qualified as monsters (and never mind Nomad)?  What about Charlie?  Or Landru?  Like all TV SF of the 1960s, it was pretty much "monster of the week" -- the thing that made Star Trek different was that the "monster" was often a human, and sometimes (often?) turned out to be just misunderstood, mistaken, or salvageable.

Thanks, it looks pretty much the way it has to look to fly correctly.  I haven't tested, but the fins might be optional by this time (3 degrees of thrust vector isn't much, but a rocket this long doesn't get out of line quickly).

Oh Im sorry, when you said the  TOS episode "monster" in your post, I had to actually look it up. Yea, monsters in TOS like the ones you mentioned were awesome for that time in the 60's. I grew up with them. (My memory tho had a bit of a rougher time, hehe)

3 hours ago, Zeiss Ikon said:

(1.6.1, RSS/RO/RP-1)

Test Flight makes the early space program more realistic -- look up old video of the "fun" the American military and NACA (not yet NASA at the time) had with early launchers, and then multiply that by the number of failures the Soviets covered up (there was a very good reason they generally only announced early launches after success) -- failing to develop thrust to actually lift, turning pinwheels at low altitude, and various other stunts that had been largely forgotten due to the very high reliability of modern rockets (we were reminded of this over the past few years, with in-flight and pad failures of Falcon 9 and other launchers -- which made headlines because such failures are so rare today).

Even with "maximum flight data", however, the old alcohol-burning engines were less reliable than modern restartable kerolox designs -- and if playing an RP-1 career at a difficulty level that precludes reverts, a couple consecutive engine failures can sink a program, driving it into bankruptcy from the combination of destroyed flight hardware, potential damaged to launch facilities, and contract failures (with accompanying funds penalties).

Fortunately for my sanity, I'm currently playing on "Easy" mode.  Because by the time I got Diana Mk. 1 into orbit, I'd had at least fifteen engine failures, ranging from failures to ignite the RD-103 booster on the pad, to core ignition failure at 15 km and near Mach 2, even to a solid separation motor exploding on ignition (never seen that before, despite playing with a couple versions of Test Flight for a combined total of well over a hundred launches).

H6KDQIo.png

Nice rocket, and I learned quickly that with testflight it best to plan for backup launches and so on.   The first few times I played it killed my programs when I had failure after failure.   I would play it all the time except that my potato computer runs it fine, but it takes about 20 minutes to load KSP with all the mods. 

Since no one cares:

Page 211 !

With that out of the way: I needed to slightly edit some VSR textures to make engine nozzles seem more plausible with Textures Unlimited patches (I hope you're okay with that, @Kerbas_ad_astra). Not sure if this is realistic or not. Sure, the nozzle needs a black spot in the middle, combustion chamber and all that. I'd need some advice!
jLnjGCN.png

(Reworked "Breeze" (a monoprop engine added by VSR) and simply brightened Ant. I'm not sure if a fade-to-black is the best and most plausible solution...)

While NASA has a good article about rocket engine materials with some pictures of the outer walls of the nozzle there are no good ones of the inside!

Spoiler

Edited by Delay

Didn't have a lot of time, but I managed to get my Dres relay into polar orbit & the Dres lander safely landed - and perform a biome hop.  Much better than my Dres rover that landed inverted a few days ago.

nRyyT6R.png?1

Dres lander descending to land

0fr3AvO.png?1

On the surface, antenna intact and pointing the right direction

ycUEFh7.png?1

(1.6.1) Got the afternoon off, so I figured I'd give y'all a report before the weekend while I still could...

Yesterday began with the inflation of the main Castillo dome at the Usumacinta outpost on Tylo. With the main dome online, I went ahead and set up its OmniCoverters to increase Konkrete production there in anticipation of getting the rest of the base deployed. That job done, I went out to the Rogue 6 rover on Mun, which had been tasked to go pick up eight colonists from the Crater Maker 7 8-passenger lander on Wednesday and couldn't get out of the crater it drove into owing to the fact that the rover wanted to flip end-over-end instead of drive. Blowing the night-vision camera on the thing hadn't helped either; Rogue 6 had to wait over three Kerbin days for there to be sufficient daylight for driving. That said, once I had enough light to see by, tracing a safe path out of the crater was a fairly simple matter.

buDkSeB.png
It was largely a matter of finding a slightly lower grade than the one I was trying to climb originally. Very important when your rover wants to flip instead of drive...

Once clear of the crater, the 3.4 kilometer drive back to the Piper Alpha outpost was relatively simple (if motion-sickness inducing0. I was quite relieved when the base didn't destroy itself upon entering physics range.

DdEy5FQ.png
Never been happier to see that collective pile of crap coming up over this ridge...

Once arrived, scientist Sonden Kerman got out of the driver's set and hooked the rover up to the outpost, at which point the colonists disembarked to the outpost for a 34-day stay. Sonden unhooked the rover and resumed her post in the outpost's observatory. Rogue 6, meantime, was already damaged (having lost a fuel tank and half its RTGs on the drive out to the lander) and blew three of her tires when Sonden hooked it up to the base. As I was not fond of the thing to begin with, I proceeded to maneuver it over to the base's launchpad for recycling.

bABvXKL.png
I might've mentioned that the rover liked to roll end over end. Getting the rover onto the pad involved taking advantage of that fact...

That job done, I went back to Usumacinta, where I spent a good deal of time finishing up base construction. I used the Tango 1 rover to my advantage when it came to getting the rest of the intended base facilities deployed.

VTQxSyC.png
Madorf loading steamer trunks onto the rover. Sure did beat him having to go back to the Hacienda to grab them and drag them into position one by one. Chalk another one up to the versatility of the Hellhound 7 design - kicking butt and taking names since v. 0.19.

It wasn't too long afterwards that sufficient Konkrete was produced to inflate the rest of the base structures. I'm happy to report that construction of Usumacinta is complete at this point.

bG7GpVJ.png
Usumacinta on Tylo - finished, fueled and fully operational after just 36 hours worth of work.

With Usumacinta finished, I next went to the VAB to put a Kerbin-rated booster on the Ikeport Core 7 space station design, dubbing the new design as the Tyloport Core 7. One of these new craft was ordered up at Usumacinta; construction is expected to take just over 29 hours. 

Since Usumacinta was as finished as I could get it, it was past time I started working on my other contracts again. LSV House Harkonnen had been sitting in orbit of Laythe the entire time I had been building Usumacinta with two tourists aboard wanting to visit Gilly, so the next thing on my list was getting Harkonnen over to Eve. Harkonnen broke orbit over Laythe and headed out to Jool, settling briefly into a 9,243.4 by 5,871.3, 1.44° inclined orbit before beginning maneuvers to match velocities prior to warp. My efforts there bore some good fruit - Eve was nearing alignment with Jool, and so when I finally departed Jool's SOI to warp to Eve, Harkonnen arrived at 2,549.3 m/s, damn close to my usual desired target velocity - she was able to maneuver directly into an 826.7 x 708.9 kilometer, 3.94° inclined orbit. Once in orbit, Roy Hinkley, which had been docked to Harkonnen, departed and burned to align with Gilly after a 27 minute delay. She then conducted an trans-Gilly injection burn fourteen minutes later, and will arrive at periapsis over Gilly in just under 39 hours (i.e. about six Kerbin days).

So far today I conducted a rescue mission over Kerbin - Gilligan departed space station Kerbinport with Jeb at the stick and maneuvered to go rescue pilot Elfrod Kerman from his pod, returning the rescuee safely to Kerbinport after about a two-hour round trip. 

b2O4egN.png
Gilligan pulling into Kerbinport. Just need to figure out how I'm going to get Elfrod down to the surface now...I don't think that plane's whose nose is visible right above the navball has got enough open seats.

So at the moment the order of business is tidying up little things. I've got a pair of drilling contracts to do on Ike and Bop, I've got a survey mission to do on Kerbin, and I've got junk to haul off the surface of Eve. I'm a little concerned about the last one - while the payload will be light enough and I'm convinced I can stow it in a service bay, the service bay in question is a 3.75m one. I might have to design the central stage to be as conic as possible just to minimize the drag. I'll have to put the payload on the bottom of the rocket too simply because hauling it to the top would involve engineering the ability to do so into the rocket itself, which is mass I don't want to have to add. I may also want to send Harkonnen to Kerbin; she's still hauling that G-LOC craft that flew past Tylo for the current exploration contract and it'll be six days before Roy Hinkley even arrives at Gilly, so she's got time for a quick delivery run. If I can do it and it unlocks Dres in the process, so much the better - I'm sitting on two satellite contracts for Dres already that I can't do anything with until I've got permission to head out that way. 

I'll let y'all know how my weekend goes come Monday.

Finally finished my Minmus Orbital Hab. And fuelled it to the clamps. Took me about ten launches and as much docking maneuvers. I just need to burn to minmus now to finally get this contract money 5why the heck did they needed that much liquid fuel there ?). It took me a full week (ok, this is in fact the second version, the first one couldn't even move without exploding due to too much wobbliness).

The hab in question is here, on steam. Without launch vehicules of course. Just know that I abused the heck out of the new ThoroughBreads to get that up there. I like this SRB a lot.

656798634060C7B209F98269656FDB05CC73D107

Had a little time tonight, and tested a new aircraft & a variant of an existing spaceplane

Any guesses on what this is based on?  Still in work, but flies reasonably well.  Needs a bigger rudder/vertical stab though, the nose has a definite tendency to wander left & right.

mdi7qnQ.png?1

d4xi19a.png?1

x2Io1Wr.png?1

I was thinking the other day that the shielded docking port is pretty ugly on a spaceplane, and I wondered if I could modify my Lightning-series spaceplanes to use an inline docking port.  It turns out, I can.  I did a quick test to orbit in sandbox (where I only took a single screenshot - on the runway) and I have one building in career.  I made a few tweaks after the test flight (moving the aft RCS blocks, adjusting the wing strakes to cover a gaping hole, etc).  I'm not quite as thrilled with the looks as I thought I would be, but it works.  I'll test docking on the career version as I didn't have a handy LKO anything in sandbox to try docking with.

UNbogvb.png?1

B0H1bwF.png?1

3nKRKag.png?1

Having spent the last week on and around the surface of the Mun, working on the KP Snowflake refinery project, I am now experiencing "astronaut homesickness" which entails the intense and persistent desire to return home and tool around in a T-38 for a couple of days.  (I'll have to build, or find one on KerbalX, first.)

Wrapping up the project, I corrected a stern dock orientation error in the assembly of my Spider sky crane and then conducted a docking test using @Atkara's stern-dock/SAS Radial In navigation trick to maneuver to the target...

9PUuuFg.png

The docking maneuver went pretty smoothly -- except you may notice that, though the upper Spider has its ladder correctly extended, it has not achieved precise alignment with the lower Spider's rear hatch.  Therefore, after a short rest, the operation will need to be re-attempted to achieve a successful outcome.

[I personally think these two particular Spiders are doomed to extinction...]

Edited by Hotel26

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 2:01 PM, Puggonaut said:

Kerbal Space Program 1.8.1
A Bob D Production 
Starring 
AstronmersVisualPack
EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements
Scatterer
Co-starring
Distant Object
TextureReplacer
PlanetShine
SoundtrackEditor
Special Guest Star
CFG.s by me 

With Grateful Thanks to all modders who make this possible 

Interesting musical tune.
I think it might be a good music for that after Kerbol mod, where you start on Duna Solitude and where Kerbin Wasteland is too hot

What's the name of the song ?

54 minutes ago, Francois424 said:

Interesting musical tune.
I think it might be a good music for that after Kerbol mod, where you start on Duna Solitude and where Kerbin Wasteland is too hot

What's the name of the song ?

Honestly , I don't know its part of the SoundEditorMod one of the tunes supplied .

34 minutes ago, Puggonaut said:

Honestly , I don't know its part of the SoundEditorMod one of the tunes supplied .

SoundEditorMod heh? 
Interesting.  Still on a severe backlog of things to do since not playing for almost 2 years... but will keep that in mind for "After Kerbol"

As for what I did today... Today I finally got enough free time to continue my Kerbal Sized RSS campaign, and unlocked the entire tech tree thanks to Phobos (that's the closest moon right?).  Anyways, it had so low gravity that refueling my mothership was super convenient and easy.
Then I took my rover down to Mars, and oh man... The mod designers are good, they successfully replicated the Martian "blue sunset" that we got to see in those NASA pictures.  Funnything on Mars?  Found out my kerbals couldn't fly using EVA packs, the gravity is ever slightly too strong.  Nice touch.  I guess once I get tired of Driving on Mars (it's such a blast !) it will be time to head to Urlum Uranus to build my space station.

Let's see what pictures I took from this campaign so far... Umm not much as I didn't think I'd post updates.
But let's see what I have for you guys :

Kerbals in the Ares Lander Cockpit (which I really love and will miss dearly in KSP2.  A nice 6 Kerbal pod ! (Viewed from IVA of the 6th member)
Flame effect are from an earlier mission returning to Earth, just before taking off again for the Mars Mission.

18jcVmE.png

Ah yes this one is cool.  I did a Jupiter 4 of it's moon early in career mode.  This is the craft doing a fast Flyby of Calisto, with Jupiter in the Background.
X8UQ6qJ.png

This is the first of 2 ships I sent to Mars... This one is the mothership. Even with a lot of struts and auto-struts it wobbles like crazy.  It's kind of a failure as I hate wobbly crafts like crazy.  That's what I get for putting engines at the back of this one.  The ring was supposed to rotate using the new parts, and that didn't work either.  At least the craft made it to Mars, and is decent at 1/3rd thrust...
oE4wRTV.jpg

The Lander is hard at work on Phobos.  In the background, you can see the Sun, and of course Mars.  Sadly, I got no pics of the surface of Mars.
Looks like I was so exited driving around that I neglected a screenie.  I'll see what I can do for you guys later when I get a play session.
 Hp8xfHf.jpg

Going to bed.  Working overtime is really challenging, I'll play later this week-end.
See you guys around.

Edited by Francois424

8 hours ago, Yeet_TheDinosaur said:

Today i DOCKED FOR THE FIRST TIME!!!

Took me about half an hour to figure out how to dock, and I am going to try building a space station now.:D

Congratulations! That's definitely one of the game's big milestones, like the first time you land on Mun without crashing...

Good luck with station building. If you wind up needing help and aren't adverse to mods, I'll suggest DPAI (which still works incidentally).

(1.6.1) Nothing new to report to y'all so far for the weekend - RL kept me busy yesterday afternoon/evening and I won't up not playing any...

2 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Don’t worry, he should respawn after a while :wink:

Yes true he will be back, but be careful with the ones that "pass on" due to being K.I.A.! "Killed in action" like one of mine. Even here tho, if you can edit a special file, they can be brought back. It happened to me with Bill. Now tho, my cat seems to avoid him (lol)