What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

(1.8.1, Making History, Breaking Ground, Kerbalism and many mods)

OK, for last nights endeavor all I had to do was to fire off a tiny Flea booster in orbit. Not hard and with all the extra engines and stuff at level 5 of career, I had everything to do it. To make it fun I wanted to try an experiment tho. Instead of 3 or 4 massive boosters to get to orbit with a small liquid engine I wanted to play around with a top down approach with eight hammers. One on top of the other. Just to see! It was a fun launch as well.

Here is my rocket called Orbiter 3:

DQB11.jpg

Yea, at 5131m/s of delta V, the eight RT-10 solid rocket hammers would work just fine.

DQB12.jpg

Look at the cool double blasts in here:

5...4....3....2....1... engage!  (Houston KSC, we have cleared the tower...)

Spoiler

DQB13.jpg

DQB14.jpg

DQB15.jpg

Spoiler

DQB16.jpg

Orbit has been made!

Not bad for a bunch of hammers and some liquid power to get an ok circular orbit. Celestial mechanics is a very interesting thing and something I am loving to do in this game.

DQB17.jpg

OK, now that we are in orbit, lets get ready to fire the tiny RT-5 "Flea" solid rocket booster or the firecracker really.

5......4......3.....2.....1..... engage!  Job accomplished!

DQB18.jpg

Now lets get Val back home.

Spoiler

DQB19.jpg

DQB110.jpg

DQB111.jpg

Not a bad mission for a nice 8 points of science. I think Val loved the double ignitions with the hammers and hitting almost 5 G's of speed. It makes her happy to go that fast!

Edited by Saturn5tony

nwxIQAS.png

A different Lead Zeppelin (a bit like an airship but heavier-than-air) to the previous one. More controllable, and the fans are properly aligned to the CoM on takeoff. The best bit is that it's such a smooth flight, I can just enter the heading into a kOS controller (and nothing else!) and it'll fly forever. Or until the uranium for the NF Electric reactor runs out (there's also a stock version with 3x large fuel cells). Now I'm designing a tiny rover or something...

I got a break from unpacking form my move this weekend, and started building a shuttle for my JNSQ/KSP 1.7.3 career game:

https://imgur.com/wFn06nZ
The shuttle is inspired by the vonBraun ferry rocket. I haven built the carrier rocket yet, but likely it will use the 5m parts from Making History.

37 minutes ago, Saturn5tony said:

May the force be with you and good luck!

The upper stage has around 4200m/s and the small transfer stage under it has around 1200. I can use Ike to slow myself down just a little bit to capture and I can also use Ike to leave the system if I don't have enough dV to complete the maneuver myself.

Had one of those "How could I be this stup*d" moments today.

Made it to Laythe. Made it to the surface. Had enough dV to lift off again, and the transfer stage has enough fuel to get back to Kerbin.

But I'm trying the Joolpollo mission, so I need to refuel.

Yep, I've placed the drills so *low* they can't harvest anything, and with a dozen working drilling setups under my belt, I've never bothered to check this one while still back home. :blush:

Back to the drawing board...

Built the most adorable little flying car, for use on my Lead Zeppelin and other explorational activities.

C7Agv7o.png

It's got 4x fuel cells providing more than enough™ EC from the rather large fuel tanks. The hemispherical ones are from Restock+.

dd1jNCx.png

Landed on the VAB!

Fairly minimal day to report to y'all today; only had about ninety minutes of playing time (at best) owing to events in RL. Only one screenie for y'all too, and it's not all that interesting.

Started my day by getting the recent launched Mohocomm Alpha communications satellite carrier into a proper equatorial orbit (355.6 x 355 kilometers at 179.95° inclination). The probe wasn't quite in its target parameters so I forestalled release of its sub-satellites pending a burn at its periapsis to shave off that last little bit. That done, Eunice Howell over Gilly made an alignment burn with Stelgard's Wreckage and proceeded from there to set up a rendezvous, which is scheduled to take place in five hours and 41 minutes. Howell will be conducting a rescue at that point and the plan is for the ship to head to LSV House Atreides when the ship makes it to Gilly (itself dependent on when I can find a sufficiently large window of opportunity to conduct the necessary maneuvers - things have been quite busy lately).

After taking a moment to shoot up supplies of fuel from the Deepwater Horizon outpost on the surface of Minmus to space station Minmusport in orbit, I next spent time with ScanSat Moho and began gathering biome scans. I have readings on five biomes so far - the Highlands, Midlands, Minor Craters, South Pole and Southeastern Lowlands. As with other recent worlds, none of these biomes contains all of the resources I need to establish a surface outpost, and it appears that Moho does not contain Rock resources at all so I won't be able to use the OmniConverter's Rock Melter as an auxiliary source for Konkrete when the time comes. I still have seven more biomes to attempt to localize though, so things may turn around eventually on that front. Meanwhile, LSV House Corrino in Moho orbit began construction of a GLOC 7a return-to-Kerbin craft in preparation for the conclusion of the initial Moho infrastructure mission. Total print time was 26 minutes.

Ended my day with colonization mission work. The Tradidit Lestum Shipyards over Laythe began printing up an Auk XVII 24-passenger plane, which should be ready for launch in 39 hours and 9 minutes. I have noted an addition to the functionality of Extraplanetary Launchpads with v. 1.8.1, which specifies a 12:00, 3:00, 6:00 or 9:00 position, and I'm hoping that's there to adjust how a craft appears in the drydock; the last three SPH launches I've attempted from a drydock wound up with a craft stuck sideways in the bay. The plane has been set for 3:00, which hopefully will point its nose toward's the drydock's exit. Meanwhile, the twelve colonists that had arrived at space station Minmusport aboard the Auk XVI that recently docked there transferred over to the station's Crater Maker 7 15-passenger lander in preparation for departure and landing. Once unloaded, the plane departed Minmusport and burned for Kerbin; it should arrive at a 47 kilometer periapsis in just under 58 hours.

This morning saw the Mohocomm Echo relay burn into final position, followed shortly by the Mohocomm Alpha relay finally burning into its target position. Once in position, Mohocomm Alpha released Mohocomm Bravo and Mohocomm Charlie, which respectively burned to put them on a course to their final positions. House Corrino finished the print of the G-LOC shortly thereafter, which was given monopropellant prior to launch; the craft immediately docked on one of Corrino's central docking ports.

HJqFV4u.png
I kinda like the magenta square on the craft; it gives me something to talk about in what is otherwise a very boring screenshot...

Pilot Shepry Kerman boarded the new craft temporarily to take and transmit a crew report to fulfill a condition of the current exploration contract, but it turned out to be unnecessary to do so - the task to transmit scientific data from Moho had already been fulfilled when ScanSat Moho took its initial orbital scan, apparently. Shepry resumed his post while I checked to see if Corrino still had sufficient Rocket Parts available to begin building a Hellhound 7 rover/skycrane. She doesn't, but that's alright with me - I need to double-check to be sure that I can get a Hound down there (I oughta be able to...I mean, I got one down to Tylo without any major issues...).

So a fair amount going on at the moment. I've got the colonist group to get down to Minmus, I've got probes still being positioned over Moho (just two to go at this point though and that'll be done within the next half-day), I've got another colonist group to get headed out, got a rescue mission in progress, still got a tourist mission in progress (Howell is also carrying tourist Obsen Kerman right now, who at this point is ready to head back to Kerbin), and I've got biome scanning ongoing. Sixteen contracts right now and I've only got seven of them marked as in progress or ongoing - the others are the aforementioned colonist group (actually two missions), a pair of interplanetary tourist missions, a rescue contract over Kerbin, a satellite contract at Minmus, surveys at Eve and Bop and some drilling at Bop. I hope to get started on some of these in the very near future; it's largely going to be a matter of finding the time to play. Hope to have something more interesting for y'all tomorrow.

9 hours ago, fulgur said:

Built the most adorable little flying car, for use on my Lead Zeppelin and other explorational activities.

C7Agv7o.png

It's got 4x fuel cells providing more than enough™ EC from the rather large fuel tanks. The hemispherical ones are from Restock+.

dd1jNCx.png

Landed on the VAB!

So can I preorder this and does it come in blue?

(1.8.1, dlc's [MH & BG], some basic mods)

Well last night I did two missions. One with my newly upgraded aircraft called Nitengale III and one simple mission to the mun for some science. The science task was simple and to the Mun seemed a bit out of the way so I took one Kerbal that only needed a sun-orbit around Kerban for the trip to our neighbor satellite.

I know Gene Kerman is going to doc me for bring a passenger to the Mun when only a suborbit was need but hey, Liszon Kerman did not mind a free trip to the Mun on KSC's kerbucks.

Nitengale III mission:

Valentina and Sally Kerman had fun to get just 3 pressure readings from Dinkelstein's Odessey.

Lazercat22.jpg

The last one was on the edge of this cliff. Fortunately I slid just by it enuff to get it, put on the brakes and revert home. Yea, I could have taken off from this edgy cliff, but I did not save it at this point and really, I was wanted to do some rocketry as tonight.

Lazercat25.jpg

Now for the quick jump over to the Mun with a free trip for Liszon Kerman.

mun100.jpg

Spoiler

mun101.jpg

mun1011.jpg

mun102.jpg

mun103.jpg

mun104.jpg

4 hours ago, purpleivan said:

So can I preorder this and does it come in blue?

Unfortunately it doesn't come in blue (unless of course you have KerbPaint or similar) but you can now get it on KerbalX! It's part of a package deal; I got horrendously bored trying (a) to land it on the Gale (it keeps falling off) and (b) trying to make Gale fly with a robotic ramp. So I've just attached the two together. Now I've got to fly it somewhere interesting. I wonder where on the forums could I possibly find somewhere like that?
Y9g0NKX.png

Note that the KerbalX version has some modded parts in the form of Restock+, which Should Be Stock™ even if they are in the new and Revamped style. Such as really long 0.625m tanks (those beside the cargo... runway... helipad... thing are just 2 parts) and hemispherical tanks (on the Leaf).

Edited by fulgur

Landed a Munar bases. A deployable one, which fits in a 2.5m fairing.

FC29488E73D4EA6F7971AEF4D193624D45620786

The arms are folded inside the fairing with 4 hinges, and it should provide enough stuff for kerbals to stay there for a while.

I also practiced landing, and managed to get it at 47m only from the scout rover I landed there before. It took a while, and an abusive use of F5 and F9, but I made it (using Flight Engineer).

I don't know if the voyage contracts are the same for all, but in case they are: Here's my insane, not-at-all-fuel-efficient plan to complete the Mun 6:
a1Be5ws.png

I need to have flybys around the Mun, Minmus, Duna, Ike and Gilly. I already have the Mun, the next destinations are Duna and Ike (I hope these don't have to be in order, other than the last one).

Edited by Delay

Minecraft and RL are continuing their respective efforts to erode my KSP playtime, it seems - not a whole lot to report for the last 24 hours to y'all today, but at least there's screenies. 

I spent a fair amount of time yesterday with ScanSat Moho completing the biome readings. Having completed four more biomes and with just three more to go, I noted that Moho turns slowly. I mean, really slowly - it's almost a 2:1 resonance. Rather than wait 50 days for the planet to turn so I could get the last three biomes, I conducted a burn over the south pole to change the probe's longitude of the ascending node; new general orbital parameters were 257.92 by 250.3, 86.34° inclination and I couldn't tell you the rest. But it did work - I was able to complete the scans. As far as establishing a ground outpost goes, it looks again like I'll be going for an equatorial Midlands/Highlands boundary. The specific target coordinates identified are at 0°N by 98.261719° E, for which I'll send down a scouting mission to verify. The extant Hellhound 7 rover/skycrane design will handle a Moho landing easily.

I was also able to complete the communications network over Moho yesterday, with Mohocomms Foxtrot, Charlie and Bravo all reaching their final positions successfully.

qxnSNbF.png
Pretty sure this is Mohocomm Bravo. Burning, burning, burning, magenta square. I wonder if there's someway to set the magenta squares on fire?

Aside from the Samwell Tarly Yards over Gilly finishing up the de-construction of the Da Luv Boht 7a rescue craft that would've been used to save Eunice Howell had that plan even been feasible, the only other thing that happened yesterday was the effort to get twelve colonists down from space station Minmusport to the Deepwater Horizon outpost on Minmus's surface. The station's Crater Maker 7 15-passenger lander departed and made its way to the base, landing successfully on the outpost's pad.

5iXQGac.png
You mean i finally get to use this thing for its intended purpose and not have to worry about the lander sinking in and blowing itself up when I detach it from the outpost? 1.8 rules...

This morning an effort was made to attach the lander to the outpost to offload the passengers. This didn't happen owing to two factors - first, my computer was being stupid slow (like, downloading-updates-even-though-it's-not-supposed-to-be-doing-that-during-those-hours slow), and second, the distance with which two Mineshaft crew tubes can be connected to one another has been rather severely reduced, it seems. I'll have to check on the particulars there. Hopefully I can get everybody offloaded soon. 

So my to-do list hasn't changed much. I need to get colonist group aboard DH and get the lander back up to the space station), I've got another colonist group to get headed out, I've got a rescue mission in progress over Gilly with a concurrent tourist mission in progress, I've got a warp ship to get from Eve to Gilly and nine other contracts that I haven't even started yet. Still plenty going on, still got another game competing for my time right now...

55 minutes ago, capi3101 said:

burning, magenta square. I wonder if there's someway to set the magenta squares on fire?

Hey, you've got the magenta square too! I have been seeing it lately as well, though mine typically sits at the loading point on whatever planet I'm on.

Do you think it could be from some mod?

Edited by cubinator

1 hour ago, cubinator said:

Hey, you've got the magenta square too! I have been seeing it lately as well, though mine typically sits at the loading point on whatever planet I'm on.

Do you think it could be from some mod?

It's possible; I've searched on Google for it and so far it looks like folks that are using the Planetside mod are the ones that are mainly seeing it. Trouble in my case is that I don't use that mod. Could be a dependency, I suppose.

EDIT: Planetshine, not planetside. And apparently it has no dependencies. 

Could compare notes, I suppose. Under here's my list of installed mods:

Spoiler
  • Action Groups Extended (AGExt 1:2.4.0.1)
  • Alcubierre Warp Drive (Stand-alone) (AlcubierreStandalone 1.3.0.0)
  • AtmosphereAutopilot (Fly-By-Wire) (AtmosphereAutopilot v1.5.16)
  • B9 Aerospace Procedural Wings - Fork (B9-PWings-Fork 1:0.92)
  • BetterBurnTime (BetterBurnTime 1.10)
  • Buffalo
  • ClickThrough Blocker (ClickThroughBlocker 0.1.9.5)
  • Community Category Kit (CommunityCategoryKit 5.0.0.0)
  • Community Resource Pack (CommunityResourcePack 1.3.0.0)
  • Community Trait Icons
  • Custom Pre Lauch Checks (CustomPreLaunchChecks 1.8.1)
  • Docking Port Alignment Indicator (DockingPortAlignmentIndicator 6.8.5)
  • Easy Vessel Switch (EVS) (EasyVesselSwitch 2.0)
  • EVA Enhancements Continued (EVAEnhancementsContinued 0.1.15.2)
  • EVA Parachutes & Ejection Seats (EVAParachutes 0.2.0.2)
  • Extraplanetary Launchpads (ExtraPlanetaryLaunchpads 6.7.0.0)
  • Ferram Aerospace Research Continued (FerramAerospaceResearchContinued 3:0.15.11.3)
  • Filter Extensions - Plugin (FilterExtensions 3.2.4)
  • Horizontal Landing Aid Redux (RCSLandAid 3.4.0.1)
  • HullcamVDS Continued (HullcamVDSContinued 0.2.0)
  • Interstellar Fuel Switch (InterstellarFuelSwitch 3.13.2.5)
  • Interstellar Fuel Switch Core (InterstellarFuelSwitch-Core 3.13.2.5)
  • KAE - KSPAPI Extensions 
  • Kerbal Alarm Clock (KerbalAlarmClock v3.12.0.0)
  • Kerbal Attachment System (KAS 1.5)
  • Kerbal Engineer Redux (KerbalEngineerRedux 1.1.7.1)
  • Kerbal Flight Data 
  • Kerbal Inventory System (KIS 1.24)
  • Kerbal Joint Reinforcement Continued (KerbalJointReinforcementContinued v3.5.0)
  • Kerbal NRAP - Procedural Test Weights (KerbalNRAP 1.6.0)
  • Kerbal Stats (KerbalStats 3.1.0)
  • Kerbal-Konstructs (KerbalKonstructs 1.8.1.15)
  • KSP AVC (KSP-AVC 1.4.1.4)
  • KSP Rescue Pod Fix
  • MemGraph (MemGraph 1:1.2.0)
  • ModularFlightIntegrator (ModularFlightIntegrator 1.2.7.0)
  • Module Manager (ModuleManager 4.1.3)
  • MOLE
  • NavUtilities continued (NavUtilitiesContinued 0.7.2)
  • OSE Workshop Reworked (OSEWorkShopReworked 1.2.13)
  • Patch Manager (PatchManager 0.0.17.1)
  • Pathfinder 
  • Portrait Stats
  • Precise Node (PreciseNode 1.2.11)
  • RCS Build Aid Continued (RCSBuildAidCont 1:0.10.0)
  • Ship Manifest
  • SpaceTux Library (SpaceTuxLibrary 0.0.2.3)
  • StageRecovery (StageRecovery 1.9.2.1)
  • Surface Mounted Lights (surfacelights 1.15)
  • TAC Fuel Balancer (TacFuelBalancer v2.21.5.1)
  • The Janitor's Closet (JanitorsCloset 0.3.7)
  • Toolbar (Toolbar 1:1.8.0.5)
  • Toolbar Controller (ToolbarController 1:0.1.9.4)
  • Trajectories (Trajectories v2.3.0)
  • Vertical Velocity Controller Redux (TWR1 1.34.0)
  • Waypoint Manager (WaypointManager 2.8.1)
  • WildBlueTools
  • WorldStabilizer (WorldStabilizer 0.9.6-ksp-1.8.0)

Do we have any commonalities?

Edited by capi3101
had a few others the CKAN GUI didn't list, added.

Hi guys i play suborbital flight and stucked at the out of gas info as oops. looks like you are not going to clear the atmospehere press escape and choose revert flight i do not know what isgoing wrong i have picture of it but i am postponing publishing as i am lazy, sleep too much, have so messy car and feel like a excrements when all time approaching mcdonalds and use their internet very often trying not spending money to sit down there and enjoy life as the coffe cost 79 pence. 

Please help with suobrigal flight. 

hi guys i actualized set of problems and pictures https://rocketlaunches.webnode.com/herbal-space-program/ , please help as space race is not joke and as the genius at everything i want to be at the top of everything and even have the surname proper to do it :)

Much love :>

Keeps the things together. 

Edited by michaelbezos1
adding website.

1 hour ago, michaelbezos1 said:

Hi guys i play suborbital flight and stucked at the out of gas info as oops. looks like you are not going to clear the atmospehere press escape and choose revert flight i do not know what isgoing wrong i have picture of it.

This one appears to be the problem:

D53903C4-6DF7-4114-B575-8598ACC439BD.jpe

You are not pointing in the right direction! You must point towards the manoeuvre symbol :maneuver: - there is even a SAS option for it! Otherwise you are just going the wrong way and will never get to wherever you are going.

Also, use [F1] to capture screenshots instead of getting blurry phone photos. They appear in your KSP folder (C://Kerbal Space Program, or something else if you have Steam). You can then upload them to a sharing site i.e. Imgur. The forum doesn't do image hosting, you have to copy the image location in the right-click menu.

Edited by fulgur