What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Today I failed,Miserably.. I wanted to transfer crew from one craft to another in sun orbit. I though it would be easy. never been so wrong.. So any advice guys,What should I do to rescue my kerbals in sun orbit? (I was coming back from moho,run out of fuel,stuck into sun orbit. at least crew ship is same angle with kerbin.)

Today I found out the limits of my computer. The SSTO I built to get some stuff to Duna was over 350 parts with all stuff added on and weighed 65 tonnes. It took me 25 in-game minutes to get it into orbit, but it was more like 45 in real minutes. Not fun...

Today I found out the limits of my computer. The SSTO I built to get some stuff to Duna was over 350 parts with all stuff added on and weighed 65 tonnes. It took me 25 in-game minutes to get it into orbit, but it was more like 45 in real minutes. Not fun...

Try flying IFR - I flew an Auk VIII to orbit the other night (12 minute trip in-game) VFR and it took over an hour; that's a 250 part, 75-tonne plane. Flew it again IFR and it was closer to 20 minutes.

By IFR, I mean install KER if you haven't got it and use the Surface data for the ascent; when you start noticing severe lag, switch over to map view (you can do it without KER but it's trickier to judge IMHO; I think Mechjeb can provide you with the same data but I don't know for 100% sure). You'll have to switch back to open intakes but that's about it. Lag usually goes away for me around 36,000 m.

Try flying IFR - I flew an Auk VIII to orbit the other night (12 minute trip in-game) VFR and it took over an hour; that's a 250 part, 75-tonne plane. Flew it again IFR and it was closer to 20 minutes.

By IFR, I mean install KER if you haven't got it and use the Surface data for the ascent; when you start noticing severe lag, switch over to map view (you can do it without KER but it's trickier to judge IMHO; I think Mechjeb can provide you with the same data but I don't know for 100% sure). You'll have to switch back to open intakes but that's about it. Lag usually goes away for me around 36,000 m.

I'm not too familiar with the abbreviations, since I try to keep a completely stock install (had some really bad experiences with save files breaking due to mod incompatibilities in other games), what do they mean? And yeah: the problem was significantly less at higher altitudes, but still noticeable.

As someone with a minor in informatics, by the way: it's not really lag. Lag is a delayed response to input, but what I was (and you too, probably) experiencing is a general slowdown. It may seem a bit nit-picky, but especially since this game isn't out of beta yet, not confusing these terms is somewhat more important.

So just about a 2:1 slowdown? Lucky dog...

494 parts, 158t, time lag 5:1 (yes, five real seconds for every 1 in-game second)

screenshot321.png

screenshot316.png

Ouch... But yeah, I guess that that would be the case indeed. Computational time probably increases more than linearly with the number of parts in the model. What kind of CPU are you using? I5 2550K over here. It's probably the best buy I ever did.

well, I redesigned my power station for my bases. instead of sending it in 2 pieces, and assembling it at the final location as an immobile structure, it is now a single piece, and self-propelled by rovemax XL3's. now, instead of 4 separate craft i would need to send to duna, just to assemble it, I only need to send the station itself. no need for a crane, or for a work platform, or for retrieving the parts after landing...

rxYTsPL.png

Finished Station Aleph, my first spacestation. The main differences from earlier are that I've changed out the tug, crewed it up to five kerbonauts - four in one of the Hitchhiker units in the Habitation Module, one in the Cupola on the Command Module - and basically made a suitable little crew-carrier. Not SSTO, but it'll carry five kerbals either up to or down from the station, so long as you leave the tug attached to provide a probe core. I'd already put one guy up when I put the Command Module there, so Dozer piloted the Aleph Crewer back home. Might make a few ships to attach to it, but it's in a state I can call "finished".

Mission report on the full construction of Station Aleph. It has screenshots from today, because today is when I learned how to screenshot.

Tried to deorbit my nuclear tug. Failed spectacularly. Need quantum struts between the parachute packs and the main craft, to say the least.

Also, KAS is a meanie. Grab the box? BOOM BLOW UP YOUR SPACECRAFT. Grab magnet attached to a winch? BOOM YOU KILLED YOUR BUDDY IN THE SPACECRAFT. Try towing in a winch? The magnet knocked your docking port off.

Played Rovers of Hazzard today!

http://i.imgur.com/3iY9hav.png

C'mon! You know the words, sing along!

"Just the good ol' boys,

Never meanin no harm,

Been in trouble with Mission Control since the day they signed on.

Flying a-waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay the only way they know how.

That's just a little bit more than OSHA will allow..."

Made preperations to deorbit my four-year old refueling depot after the docking port glitch infected it. :( Evacuated the crew and sent up a batch of Lazor missiles to do the job; the detonation will take place tomorrow at 0800 hours.

Today I failed,Miserably.. I wanted to transfer crew from one craft to another in sun orbit. I though it would be easy. never been so wrong.. So any advice guys,What should I do to rescue my kerbals in sun orbit? (I was coming back from moho,run out of fuel,stuck into sun orbit. at least crew ship is same angle with kerbin.)

Get out and push. ;) No joke.

C'mon! You know the words, sing along!

"Just the good ol' boys,

Never meanin no harm,

Been in trouble with Mission Control since the day they signed on.

Flying a-waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay the only way they know how.

That's just a little bit more than OSHA will allow..."

Haha nice song! Though I have never seen the Dukes Of Hazzard.

Built a rocket and then a space plane with my almost 6 year old daughter.

I eva'd bill and he rode on a wing for a while, then fell off.

The rest all died on a bad landing. She got a bit upset so I reverted to hanger.

Not a bad plane either for something I threw together in a few minutes. Reached around 2500ms...

Build a ship capable of doing the rendezvous and coming back. I used the thing pictured below in .22 to get somebody from a failed Moho return, pretty much the same as yours only he was a not all that much in line with Kerbin.

Looks like I have some extra parts added on there (like the medium-large docking port thing on top) probably because I had thought of just leaving a ship like this in orbit ready to rescue and might need different stuff for the mission.

You should just build something with way more delta-v than you think you need, add some more, and do the mission. Make sure you have enough empty seats and such.

Rendezvous in Kerbol orbit isn't hard, it just takes more patience, and remember that on this scale the delta-v needed to match orbits will be pretty big.

FY1WCyr.png

Haha nice song! Though I have never seen the Dukes Of Hazzard.

Kids these days... :rolleyes:

My own evening's efforts were wasted on playing around with KAS. I think I've figured out how to make a semi-reliable tow cart for spaceplanes and if I can figured out how to use it without tearing the engines off that'd be awesome. Getting the same vehicle to act as a tanker has proven perplexing; I suspect it's because you actually have to have a Kerbal out there to plug in the winch cable. And a crane operator I am not, apparently.

Today, so far, I finally added a CMD module to the TXSS2. It's a small manned research station in LKO, currently housing three Kerbonauts. For some reason BOSS didn't supersample today, so there will be jaggies... ;.;

SS_02-15-2014_15-56-27_zpsc53486a4.png

Hanlorf performing a post-docking inspection of the new CMD module.

SS_02-15-2014_16-01-13_zps871671e1.png

TXSS2 as of today. It currently has a core with two hub connectors, a research module, oxygen and carbon dioxide tanks, an oxygen regenerator, and

a command/supervision module supplied by ASET Aerospace. The CMD tug is still in place, as well as the crew transfer vessel docked to the research

and habitation compartment.

SS_02-15-2014_16-07-28_zps6e91d871.png

This is Edbro's view from the CMD module. It has full spherical CCTV coverage of the entire station, and info to all your Kerbal heart's desire.

Cheers :D,

- ThomsenX