What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I spent a considerable amount of time experiencing frustration over Mk3 hatches and ladders.  (Details don't matter...)

On a whim, I built Pegasus 4, which is, yes, the fourth in a series.  This one has robotics, though.

uVRsqHu.png   H4tuZ6L.png

It's a mobile camp/fuel dump, capable of transferring fuel/pax between itself and other (smaller) vessels.  It generally should be able to get the docking boom over a wing of another, bigger craft.  (Even if the pilot has to retract the nose gear to do it...)

I haven't actually tested that -- and it wouldn't surprise me if the Kraken eat it for breakfast.

Edited by Hotel26

Landed on Eve. 
6pRm0KTh.png
The right part is an tug with two tanks and a science module. It arrived with Kerbals and fuel from Gilly.
The left part is the Eve exit rocket with deorbit engines an drag plate and the rocket's heat shield, the rover has its own heat shield and is dropped separately then Kerbal is done or has to be picked up because an accident.  

Studying an rock. 
NOLp5Eqh.png
The landing legs is to help landing but also to jump so I get science while flying at Eve data with an rover :) 

Did a little work in my Out of the Sands career -

Sent some fresh snacks to my Minmus station.  The docking went well, as did the fuel & snack transfer.  But when it was time for my engineer to transfer the empty snack cans from the supply ship to the empty mount on the station, he dropped one, which went spinning off into space.  It was of course the fourth & final one, and the engineer was low of fuel so I just used the empty supply ship to nudge it into a suborbital trajectory

BXTZT9C.png?1

Then I tested an experimental reusable 3.75m launcher.  Things went mostly good - the payload was a bit too heavy to make orbit (I would have been ~50 m/s short) so the dummy payload got staged prior to orbital insertion.  Then the deorbit burn was just a tiny bit too late - I overshot KSC and landed in the water 8km from the pad.  Surprisingly, nothing broke during the water landing so I still got almost full funds back.

pJ9dOSA.png?1

More progress towards the contract free upgrade of all KSC buildings in my challenge based career game.

This time it was prep for a trip to Tylo, starting with Val heading to orbit in the return vehicle.

5niZq9B.png

Jeb riding high on a fuel ship that head was headed to his lander.

TikfEho.png

A snug fit in his home for the next few years, but he says he doesn't mind.

ocr8eSF.png

Then returning the empties for a refund.

gRok72C.png

QEHDAYe.png

vyp2z2d.png

DXy5LBn.png

4 minutes ago, purpleivan said:

More progress

How do those fins on the Reuso work?  That is to say, how come they appear to be just planks?  These are to control a retrograde re-entry/descent, isn't it?  Why aren't they more "finny"?

Pardon my sudden curiosity!

40 minutes ago, Hotel26 said:

How do those fins on the Reuso work?  That is to say, how come they appear to be just planks?  These are to control a retrograde re-entry/descent, isn't it?  Why aren't they more "finny"?

Pardon my sudden curiosity!

They're just there to ensure that the top end has more drag, so that it re-enters the right way up, giving a nice clean re-entry instead of tumbling.

My only control is with the engines burning the remaining fuel, so I kind of eyeball the descent trajectory, then once I'm coming in over the water West of the mountain near the KSC, give a burn if I'm coming in a bit long.

:science: Using fumes to get home from Minmus  :science:

Ok this mission was crazy. I had more than enough deltas V for this trip to and from Minmus but what I had to do was land on Minmus with a reason of doubt, that I may not return. I knew this in a way but I went for the trip regardless. Two Kerbals went along for the ride.

I needed to land on Minmus and do a career test of not only one very large TD-50 decoupler on the planet but its same size big brother, a TD-50 STACK decoupler landed there as well! Yes... two very large explosive big boys. Why?? Over a half a million kerbucks were on the line and 28 science. Good cash! Good science and just fun.

Here is the Contract:

BasiliaVIc2.jpg

So I used the famous Basilia VI starship, who not only has an awesome lander for Minmus but also has a few spots to put these decouplers on. Knowing, when tested, they will blow up with a very loud boom and probably take down my assent engine. So outside the ascent, I put two more engines as a "just in case" scenario! I have 5 tanks why not? Yes I know a gamble was here especially with a STACK decoupler near it and all that could go wrong. 

With all this crazy testing, it was also Jebediahs job to bring two tourists (Jenstar Kerman and Geneuki Kerman) to just fly by Minmus for more kerbucks. They did not know they were gonna land and be put at the risk of two decoupler explosions. 

Here is the Basilia VI craft with the two decups attached:  (man there big)

BasiliaVIc1.jpg

What I did not know was in the end, I did loose my ascent engine, the two outside ones were in-tack but the middle tank was not accessible to either of them. They had some fuel, but not enough to reach a complete Minmus escape velocity out to reach home. I did have a backup plan for that as well and in fact made it home with only mono propellant fumes! I call this plan the "Kobayashi Maru" maneuver. (hehe)

Here is the mission!

BasiliaVIc5.jpg

BasiliaVIc61.jpg

Spoiler

BasiliaVIc7.jpg

Landed on Minmus just fine

BasiliaVIc9.jpg

Spoiler

BasiliaVIc95.jpg

OK, here is the ultimate test.. Two massive decouplers, ready 5...4...3...2...1.. TEST

BasiliaVIc10.jpg

Whew, did not tip over, legs back down, check data, yup... center ascent engine gone! Two outside ones, still attached.

But oh no, before the explosion (below), to the left the middle tank was half full, now afterwards to the right, the outside ones are now very low. That middle engine is gone!!!

BasiliaVIc11.jpg

Well lets try to go home!

BasiliaVIc12.jpg

Nope didnt make it!! As you can see down to the bottom left, no more fuel!!!!

BasiliaVIc15.jpg

But the center tank still has fuel... Nope cant get to it!

BasiliaVIc157.jpg

What now...... Yup MONO-PROPELLANT!!!   And Lots of it!

Spoiler

BasiliaVIc16.jpg

BasiliaVIc17.jpg

BasiliaVIc18.jpg

Bring me home mono propellant! Very slow, this took me about 30 minutes to do as well with no time lapse!

BasiliaVIc19.jpg

JUST MADE IT!! With 8 units or 24kg of mono left!! WOOOT!

BasiliaVIc305.jpg

Spoiler

BasiliaVIc31.jpg

BasiliaVIc33.jpg

BasiliaVIc35.jpg

BasiliaVIc37.jpg

BasiliaVIc40.jpg

So the next time I will always remember to brings a lot of mono propellant. It saved my day and the life of three Kerbals.

(1.8.1, Making History, Breaking Ground, a few basic mods)

Edited by Retro Starship
spelling issues

Kerbal space program challenges:

1)Asteroid redirect mission: Orbital Rendezvous [ how to progress, what are next steps to make any progress.

2)Asterodi redicrect mission ready to capture:

2)Eva on dune [what are next steps, how to progress it ]

Hi guys I stucked at this missions but fortunately purchased today 30 gb of internet a month for 28 pound so can develop longer as the internet finished 22:00 and now can do till sleep. 

Also at normal start new game i stucked actually as do not know how to progress hopefully extended now the time with internet can devlop more. Moreover at www.rocketlaunches.webnode.com one of my subpage second launches there are pictures of my new rocket waiting for launch as there is engine and other parts required for launch but postponing it due to multitasking but the power of space race pushes to make the movement into this devlopment 

Much Love:> 

Keeps the thigns together. 

3 hours ago, michaelbezos1 said:

2)Eve or duna [what are next steps, how to progress it ]

well you should probably try to land on duna first, since it is Very hard to build a ship that can get off of eve. however if you want you can try to land on its moon, gilly, but only if you know how to rondevu with a ship, since gilly's sphere of influence is very small. tutorials can be found across the internet, like here:

https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Tutorial:How_to_get_to_Duna

On 3/12/2020 at 5:15 PM, magnemoe said:

Landed on Eve. 
6pRm0KTh.png
The right part is an tug with two tanks and a science module. It arrived with Kerbals and fuel from Gilly.
The left part is the Eve exit rocket with deorbit engines an drag plate and the rocket's heat shield, the rover has its own heat shield and is dropped separately then Kerbal is done or has to be picked up because an accident.  

Studying an rock. 
NOLp5Eqh.png
The landing legs is to help landing but also to jump so I get science while flying at Eve data with an rover :) 

Well it turned out all but one of my Eve exit rockets had an fail. 
xXbN43fh.png
The second stage engines are missing. it should be 3 twitch engines attached to to the tiny fuel tank. 
Version one of the rocket who had an single transfer and deorbit engine rater than two and an docking port worked, for some reason the second engine rockets was removed during that rework who was not tested as it was not an Eve accent issue. 
Noticed this issue after ejecting the ladders and verifying the staging so poor Tifry had to tumble down to the rover and move to another rocket.
Starting to sound like Boeing if I keep on rambling so rater go down burning viking style. 
IHDUH5Xh.png
Kept the rovers who worked well but has to wait for another launch window for more rockets. 
Window 3 should include an manned Eve base and a rocket to get them out again. 

16 hours ago, Retro Starship said:

Bring me home mono propellant! Very slow, this took me about 30 minutes to do as well with no time lapse!

You have the Right Stuff!!  Your upcoming promotion is well-deserved!  :)

10 hours ago, juniorss828 said:

Hotel26, how long have you been building it?

Hello, @juniorss828.  Welcome to the forum!  I think you mean Pegasus 4, above?  Builds usually take me about 15-30 minutes, with testing/tuning after that taking lots more time.  This build took longer because I am a beginner with robotics.  And even more time, wasted trying to put a ladder on what I thought was a Mk3 cabin but was actually a Mk3 fuel tank.  You know that ain't going to work!  :)

In KSP v1.7.3, the Kraken do indeed find  the combination of a) robotics and b) claws truly a delicacy!  So I had to shelve Peg 4 (as 4K) until I get to v1.9.1 or some version where that combination works.  Meanwhile, I made a more conventional version and reverted to my old crock of carrying an attachment (Bowser) under the belly of the transporter:

0wtPVc2.png   V9RkozJ.png

Very silly.  It permits docking with visiting aircraft and with the Invader rover pictured (included with Pegasus 4).  It can transfer/accommodate crew as well as fuel.

I have finally turned my research to Orange Tank technology.  (This has been coming a long time!).

K4Zroev.png

I couldn't resist shortening the working title of "Orange Tank" to "Orange Tan".  And then to the final Orangutan.  Extremely silly.

My assistants think that OT tech is futile and pointless.  (There's a reorg coming up in their ranks, I'd say...  (especially after the mistake with ladders))

OT is a standard test payload, you see.  It features self-deorbiting for recovery.  Whichever craft comes to dock with it and take the last of its fuel merely has to point it retrograde and use the "Abort" key to undock, fire the sepatrons and arm the chutes.  Just make sure you're attached to the right end!!

Not really what the surface denizens wish to see hurtling back at them from space every day, but for some reason, Kerbin still remains relatively under-populated.

Meanwhile, I'm working on (i.e. "playing with") a recoverable, medium-scale lifter.  The blueprints are Classified:Stolen, so no pics for legal reasons.

Edited by Hotel26

"Dont talk to me or my son ever again!"

0LLUWq8.png

I have been testing out base building gantries for Mun and Laythe. They work alright in Kerbin Gravity, there should not be an issue at Laythe.

The first Gantry Prototype (GP-1) was the bigger one. But turns out it is way too big for any practical purposes. The smaller Gantry Prototype (GP-2) is more suited for my purposes, and is 4 tons lighter to boot! However, I have no clue how to transport it to orbit.... I think I will use KAS to assemble it in orbit???

I spent about 40 minutes trying to build and airplane and get it off the ground... I failed miserably. Was fun though, it was like my third streaming, and I finally realized that I had to ask it to retain all of my videos, and now I can go look at it and show off how not smart i was later on.

Work in Progress, redo the Apollo-11 mission with Real Solar System + Life Support + Approximate to real delta-vs:

Command Service Module:

ATXFw3S.png

Note: Also Have mechJeb-2 & KOS

(Spare fuel: 1 second of extra delta-V)

Apollo Lunar Module:

q1b9fnt.png

(Spare fuel: a few seconds of extra delta-V)

Note: Also Have mechJeb-2 & KOS

Edited by pmborg