What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Download 1.9.1 and a few a mods and got stuck in for the first time in months.  First flight got me enough science to unlock the kOS module and I've been trying to figure out my kOS scripts that I've not touched in months ever since :D

Well I suppose it isn't much, I mean we're not talking about making orbit from Eve's surface or completing the Jool 5 challenge, but after four years of playing I actually planted a flag on the Mun's Poles for the very first time!

Not a particularly difficult thing to accomplish I admit, but it was always something I didn't attempt.  Those Poles are seriously mountainous and with some pretty steep slopes, and I guess I didn't want to risk stranding or even killing my Kerbals trying to set down on them.  Indeed before this three Kerballed vehicle landing today, I've only ever landed two probes successfully in the biome, a third attempt ended splattered all over the place, so I'm feeling a wee bit chuffed with myself right now.

This is part of a Rusty Star Rockets career play through, and currently there is another three Kerbals heading out of Minmus towards a Kerbol orbit on a flight to put them up to Level 3.  Meanwhile in another part of the Kerbol system, two vehicles are speeding towards Duna, one filled with the bits and pieces required to complete five contracts, the other to complete a milestone contract of orbiting Duna and returning to Kerbin

Oh and I only need to unlock five more nodes to have completed the tech tree.

RSR is a FANTASTIC mod BTW... :D

Super intense Single-Stage-To-Mun runway landing!

Am I going a little too high and fast?  Hmm?

y0nltED.jpg

Nope!  I bet most would load a quicksave in the above situation, but not me!  It's a good thing the Pandemunium III likes to swerve suddenly!  I don't even want to know how many g's just happened...

uUeinr7.jpg

Yi!  Yi!  Yi yi yi yi! Yi!

Even Jeb looks concerned.

E2O50S8.jpg

I wonder what it would feel like in the crew cabin to be going supersonic straight down, then suddenly be going 100 m/s horizontally, and then barely extend the landing gear in time to slam into the runway and nearly rip the belly fins off.

3YJREdJ.jpg

As I whizzed down the runway, I realized that that ski jump was coming up really fast.  What do you do when the landing gear aren't slowing you down?  Retract them!  I slid on my belly for about 100 m before coming to a stop just past the last set of stripes.

GXFKxxb.jpg

Everything was recovered at 100% value except for the lunches of about 20 kerbals.

Edited by RoninFrog

I made my first flight to Minmus today

img%5D

Scientist " Say are you sending a probe to Minmus?"  Engineer  "Yes we are testing a stack separator".

Scientist " Can we put a couple of experiments on it?" Engineer "Sure but don't go overboard"

img%5D

Scientist "What!? We didn't put a materials bay on it" 

Back in April, I published Epiphany and it set a record, for me, of 4.4 km/s dV, once refueled in LKO.  Crew is 10 kerbals.

YxtFj5j.png

Meanwhile, just in the last few days in these very pages, my friend-for-life (a Man of Principles because he emphatically eschews SSTO oxidizer), Monsieur le RoninFrog, published an account of his 4-kerb Pandemunium II.

Inspired, I made a 20-kerb version, uninspiredly dubbed Pandemonium...  It's the first Mk3 SSTO I've made in my whole career since Dolphin/Dolphin 2020 (not counting charter party ships, Swordfish and  Sailfish).

mGIPEGM.png

I am stoked because its LKO-refueled LF-only interplanetary-ready delta-Velocity is, drum-roll, 4.9 kilo-meters-per-second, a new-personal-record!  Stoked.  Very-very-stoked.

The ecstatic glow of this weekend's achievement, in collaboration with Monsieur le @RoninFrog,should, I believe, get me through at least the first three days of the coming work-week.

Edited by Hotel26

It wasn't the plan (and frankly what is in KSP?) but I'm pretty sure I beat my record for the shortest fuel margin (and not a single broken part, I was just a few m/s away from a perfect soft landing). 

sZJYbYX.png

Now, I need to find the perfect ore spot for refueling (the plan it to grab some ore from the Mun to orbit for a contract, transfer to minmus to do a similar contract then establish a cargo route to refuel a station in kerbin orbit for heavy interplanetry missions on a budget).

Edited by Anuter

The rogues over at Rusty Star Rockets made a huge scientific discovery today which has thrown everything known about the Kerbol system into total chaos!

Initially when they released this groundbreaking disclosure, the scientific community and indeed Kerbals worldwide, scoffed at them, with "those snobby <profanity>" over at the KSA levelling particularly virulent sarcasm and ridicule in their direction.  Some of this is understandable as RSR's reputation throughout Kerbin in general has always struggled to get out of the toilet, but in this instance they were subjected to particularly vicious attacks.

The laughter stopped however when the data gathered by RSR was examined and scrutinised by the experts over at the Kerbin World-Firsts Record Keeping Society.  After much debate and argument, they had to confirm the findings and issued a monetary award and certificate to RSR, confirming the fact that Minmus has an atmosphere!!!

Z9kb5bR.pngWhat next, aerobraking and parachutes to land on the Flats? :D

Edited by The Flying Kerbal

Tried my hand at a 6.4x rescale after seeing some comments from @Northstar1989

(the atmosphere was only rescaled1.25x), but everything else was stock (no changes to part performance, no FAR).

Took my 3x 2 stage recoverable design, filled up the tanks and added a little more fuel capacity, and was able to get 72 tons to orbit, but it seems like I would lose the 1st stage 9 times out if 10 as the 1st stage gets deleted just abut the same time that the orbiter gets to orbit, only once did I switch in time.

Scaled the payload back to 54 tons, and with a ~650 ton starting mass, I got to orbit and recovered the launcher.

Im thinking about doing 4x from now on, then the rotation period should change by the nice and even number of 2, instead of some irrational sqrt(3) or sqrt(6.4)

Designed and tested a super cheap (EXTREMELY!) low tech and low safety version of the Apollo mission to Mun. Let's just say, it is a two kerbal mission, one stays in orbit, the other lands on the Mun. And neither of them inside a capsule. As it is too cheap, I don't even have RCS, so the trickiest part is the docking after taking off from the Mun. That's the last part for me to test... Hope I can post the mission report tomorrow and you can facepalm in horror :D 

Edit: With 'extremely cheap' I mean less than 17.5k...

Edited by JorgeCS

Sent some new crew to my Minmus base.

Spoiler

20200614160008_1.jpg

Top: Frorim, Gerbas, Kencott, Adden, Modorf, and Gregford Kerman.

Bottom: Herzon, Tefen, Traory, and Admin Kerman.

Also created a rocket truck to carry KIS parts.

Spoiler

20200614162850_1.jpg

20200614163208_1.jpg

Using the truck to add landing legs to a mining craft.

20200614163351_1.jpg

Did you remember to plug in your RCS powered space truck?

A couple of stranded Kerbal rescues, a couple of lost part recoveries, and then I took the Orion drive from Stockish Project Orion, modified the NFElectrical nuclear reprocessor to make Orion pulse units (the method in SPO is too long and requires too many parts for my liking, so I made my own supply chain that only requires ore as an input, turns it into uranium and then turns that into pulse units a.k.a. NUKES!) and put them together to make a test ship and parked it on the Mun to mine some ore and make some pulse units before thinking that maybe it would be a bit faster with some engineers on board... 23K delta-V from the Orion drive isn’t bad though and with 300+ tons of ship to punt around too, I might make a larger ship using it in future.

And I put my first satellites around Dres and Edna (I’m  using JNSQ, Edna is like a second Dres but with a Gilly-sequel moon) and very nearly overshot Dres due to feeble engines and a less than optimal transfer burn some time ago.

And my Duna expedition is finally on its way back home, huzzah! All in all, a pretty productive day.

5 hours ago, JorgeCS said:

As it is too cheap, I don't even have RCS, so the trickiest part is the docking after taking off from the Mun....

.... you can facepalm in horror :D 

No RCS docking?! On purpose?! Are you out of your mind?! Has the long exposure of Kerbol radiation addled your yellowish-green brain?! That’s worth no amount of money :) lol!

Respect, though.

Wow, that’s cheap.

20 hours ago, JorgeCS said:

Designed and tested a super cheap (EXTREMELY!) low tech and low safety version of the Apollo mission to Mun. Let's just say, it is a two kerbal mission, one stays in orbit, the other lands on the Mun. And neither of them inside a capsule. As it is too cheap, I don't even have RCS, so the trickiest part is the docking after taking off from the Mun. That's the last part for me to test... Hope I can post the mission report tomorrow and you can facepalm in horror :D 

Is it worse than 3 tourists & a pilot riding an I-beam to orbit and back for a contract?

Edited by Cavscout74

Nothing compared to @Angel-125 up there, but now that I've got back over the learning curve's bumps and bruises, I've got a set of engines in-game that actually look.. okish and have successfully used the stock variant system to swap meshes.

They're all the same basic engine, but with a sea level and vacuum version.  Sea level version has three mounting options, 0.625, 1.25, and a wedge shape for use with the 2.5m engine plate.  Vac version has two mounting options, 1.875 and 2.5.

749screenshot20.png

(You'll never guess where I got that idea)