What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I did a really stupid contract to test an Ant engine. Yep, I pushed a button and heard a click. Pay me, please.

x8WdgC8.jpg

Then the Moho probe headed out towards it's destination. It's moving faster than anything else I've launched in this career so far, and it will clear Kerbin's SOI in about a day. The burn was about 6 minutes, so I'll have to do a correction burn in a few days.

NTuAgJI.jpg

After the probe was on its way, Val took the Winterlance up along with two kerbonauts who will be heading to the Mun for a rotation to get their third star.

alifJ2G.jpg

The Winterlance docked at Kerbin station, crew were shifted around, then the crew shuttle headed out for the Mun.

TpUwKjS.jpg

fiJltM9.jpg

The landing was the best one yet. I got lined up perfectly on the runway, but ended up touching down about 50 meters short.

18mXWZu.jpg

Then I spent some time designing a giant fuel tanker with two S4-512 tanks. I think I'll dub it the Giant Mover Of Fuel & Oxidizer, or Giant MOFO for short. By launching it half full, a set of Clydesdales is enough to get it off the ground and then it still has enough to reach Minimus for refueling. I did a couple of test launches, but it needs a few more tweaks before it's ready to deploy.

xlvdMws.jpg

I've never really used deployed science before, so it wasn't until I'd set up a seismometer on Minmus that I realised I needed to crash something near it to generate data.

So my next mission to Minmus took a beefed up transfer stage that arrived in Minmus orbit with fuel to spare.  After failing to work out the maths properly for it, I wrote a kOS script to do numerical integration to figure out when I needed to start a burn straight down in order to impact near the sensor with the maximum possible speed.  After adding in some proportional guidance to cancel out the cross range velocity, my 3.9 tonne craft impacted at 860m/s just 100m from the target, with 1.4x10^9 joules of KE, approximately equivalent to a third of a tonne of TNT.

I had to video it to see how close and how fast it was as it happened rather quickly

HW0AQGd.png?1

I had no idea you got so much science from them!  I need to train Bob up a bit more, he's only 2 stars at the moment

INEQG94.png

3 minutes ago, RizzoTheRat said:

I had no idea you got so much science from them!  I need to train Bob up a bit more, he's only 2 stars at the moment

INEQG94.png

That's really an outstanding hit, good job. It seems like I got considerably less with a 1500 m/s impact when I tried it a couple of weeks ago. Definitely impacting straight down as fast as possible maximizes the output.

As for Bob, the scientist's rating affects the amount of science you get for each impact. In this case, it's 45%. That only affects the rate of science though. It looks like that one impact was enough to max out the science for that particular experiment . The maximum science is 80 (base) times the science multiplier for the celestial body, or 5X in the case of Minmus.

8 minutes ago, Grogs said:

That's really an outstanding hit, good job. It seems like I got considerably less with a 1500 m/s impact when I tried it a couple of weeks ago. Definitely impacting straight down as fast as possible maximizes the output.

As for Bob, the scientist's rating affects the amount of science you get for each impact. In this case, it's 45%. That only affects the rate of science though. It looks like that one impact was enough to max out the science for that particular experiment . The maximum science is 80 (base) times the science multiplier for the celestial body, or 5X in the case of Minmus.

Ah OK thanks, I'd assumed I was only getting 45% of the maximum  achievable amount.  I've got another one set up on the Mun so I'll go and drop something on that later too.  Then I'll need to figure out aerodynamic guidance for Duna...

It does seem that distance is very important, I lost 8% at a distance of 100m, I'd guess it goes down with the square of distance?

9 minutes ago, RizzoTheRat said:

Ah OK thanks, I'd assumed I was only getting 45% of the maximum  achievable amount.  I've got another one set up on the Mun so I'll go and drop something on that later too.  Then I'll need to figure out aerodynamic guidance for Duna...

It does seem that distance is very important, I lost 8% at a distance of 100m, I'd guess it goes down with the square of distance?

I'm not sure how it's figured, but I think I remember someone saying they got 50% on the opposite side of the Mun. My guess is that it falls off pretty quickly (r^2 would make sense) and then reaches some minimum floor. The total science should be some base number * the celestial body multiplier * impact energy * (1 - attenuation) * setup rating.

Duna should be quite a challenge since the atmosphere will try to slow your craft. I've never tried it, but if I did I would want it to be powered the whole way down to the ground and add things like nosecones to minimize the drag.

My Lake Tahoe exploration continues...  [click,arrows for slideshow]

VkRQ6KO.png   Xq94BvI.png

Cousteau is quite easy to trim out for level "flight", making 11 knots[1].  I noted with satisfaction that the KER radar altitude shows depth below the keel, so it's easy to plot depth.

My first "production world" high-energy transfer is converging on its destination: 1) Ion Exchange enroute from Kerbin to Eve, 2) periapsis was 5 Mm, inside Moho's orbit, 3) capture burn will require 4.4 km/s dV

3FjeuW1.png  lkk4q7s.png  2EzfYNS.png

Vehicle has 6 km/s remaining.

I've just put a Hedgehog into a 100x100 km orbit.  It's destined to be loaded with a dozen Mercy killer drones and then sent out to GKO (geosynchronous Kerbin orbit) to await duty...

2CCluYH.png

I'll be revamping my Mercy system to make it more effective.

The basic idea is that permanently-lost debris is rescued from the Kerbolar expanse and returned to Kerbin geosynchronous orbit by Divine Providence.  Rules Apply.

What can I say?  It generates employment.

[1] 1 Kerbal knot = 3.6 Kerbal km/h

[Why are my Daily Updates starting to read like a comic page?  Is it the format?  Or the content?]

Edited by Hotel26

35 minutes ago, Grogs said:

I'm not sure how it's figured, but I think I remember someone saying they got 50% on the opposite side of the Mun. My guess is that it falls off pretty quickly (r^2 would make sense) and then reaches some minimum floor. The total science should be some base number * the celestial body multiplier * impact energy * (1 - attenuation) * setup rating.

Duna should be quite a challenge since the atmosphere will try to slow your craft. I've never tried it, but if I did I would want it to be powered the whole way down to the ground and add things like nosecones to minimize the drag.

I've got a contract to bring seismic data from the surface of Eve. I have absolutely no ideas on how to do that (I need to slow down during reentry, but then accelerating before impact, while staying under terminal velocity or everything might explode?). I'll probably pack a lot of I beam stacked together for mass. They seems quite indestructible.

45 minutes ago, Okhin said:

I've got a contract to bring seismic data from the surface of Eve. I have absolutely no ideas on how to do that (I need to slow down during reentry, but then accelerating before impact, while staying under terminal velocity or everything might explode?). I'll probably pack a lot of I beam stacked together for mass. They seems quite indestructible.

Assuming you have to get some fixed amount, like 50% of the recoverable science, I would probably just cancel that contract. It seems nearly impossible.

On the other hand, I think it would make an awesome challenge idea. Who can get the most science from a single impact? Maybe some of the creative people out there could figure out a way to get the full 640 science in a single go.

Bob continued his exploration of the biomes of the Mun in my science game.

But first order of business was fuel (from the tanker)... not getting far without that.

SW4u6qv.png

Back on the surface Bob continued to chase rocks, but they aren't much good at running.

uhB7mO7.png

Or at playing hide and seek.

Ahem... Bob, we can see you too.

6iTn0CI.png

After stops in the Polar Crate and at the North Pole, the Mun Hopper took a trip back to somewhere more equatorial, in the shape of the East Farside Crater.

Jlo58AU.png

No-one to play catch with here... not even a rock.

3KX8c13.png

Edited by purpleivan

2 hours ago, Grogs said:

Assuming you have to get some fixed amount, like 50% of the recoverable science, I would probably just cancel that contract. It seems nearly impossible.

On the other hand, I think it would make an awesome challenge idea. Who can get the most science from a single impact? Maybe some of the creative people out there could figure out a way to get the full 640 science in a single go.

Well, yes, I need 50%. The fastest I crashed something to the surface of Eve is 190m.s for now, but it's on a 1.25m stack. I tried a small one, to be able to pack a lot of them into LEO and launch them one after another, but maybe I should go full kerbal and go for a 5m stack and hope for a bigger boom. Or probably I'll cancel the contract.

I sent a probe to Eve/Gilly because I crashed the one I had there. I was on a sub orbital trajectory around Gilly trying to get low orbit science(you got to love being at 1.7 KM AGL and in still be in high orbit) and ran out of electric charge. I did get a worlds first for landing on Gilly for certain broad definitions of landing. Impacting the surface at 30 M/sec and smearing parts all over the place count for that apparently.

An evening launch.

img%5D

The trans Eve injection burn,

img%5D

And I got the contracts fulfilled without explosions this time.

img%5D

Looks like I am heading to Eeloo after this happened today. Matt Lowne mentions me in his latest video. I only smiled since I am so exausted from Delta 4 heavy yesterday but I am pretty sure would be jumping in the air. It's skipped to where the mention happens:

11 minutes ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

Looks like I am heading to Eeloo after this happened today. Matt Lowne mentions me in his latest video. I only smiled since I am so exausted from Delta 4 heavy yesterday but I am pretty sure would be jumping in the air. It's skipped to where the mention happens:

Not only he mentions you, he also stands corrected! :D LOLz, mate!! Congrats twice? :P 

Probed Val and Bop

CL30pXo.png

dlCAVXm.png

I sent my last probe to Lathe.

DNUIuG6.png

I knew I had a lot of hardware there from back in the day but man was I in for a surprise. BWAHAHA! All of it seems to work too.

This was in a polar orbit scanning away.

mIGdmzv.png

And this setup was on an island. My boat, the other plane, and a refueling rig. My longstanding personal rule is I have to refuel things and make the missions self sufficient. I must have sent all this there and got sidetracked with something else. Looking back at my posts I did drive the boat around a bit. I guess I parked it after landing the refueling rig and moved onto the next thing.

ZJXQ4m0.png

RR1Pcgv.png

Time to refuel. Probably gonna de-orbit that plane somewhere too.

8Ielf99.png

8l1B1Zs.png

Just now, JorgeCS said:

Not only he mentions you, he also stands corrected! :D LOLz, mate!! Congrats twice? :P 

He is not the first I have had to correct about Kerbol. Kinda crazy! He was kind of the inspiration of most of my missions. Anyways, that means I have a visit to Eeloo coming up I guess.

It came from this mission

picking-up-ice.png

expedition-eeloo-has-completed-another-landing-on-eeloo.png?w=1029&h=

In the meantime, leaving Kerbin SOI at 4.8+Km/s headed to KERBOL with my SunDiver Mk4 (although there were more iterations and it should actually be called Mk7). Obviously it won't dive into the sun, but will instead try to reach the lowest possible circular orbit for its design. Meaning STABLE and no explosions by overheating ;) My previous iteration ran out of fuel at 270Mm (circular and stable), I will try to do it better this time.

i spent weeks working on a reusable eve lander. it would rocket brake in the atmosphere, then deploy a smaller rover. it would refuel in situ, then it would start up as an helicopter, get past the densest part of eve's atmosphere, and finally turn on the rockets and get to orbit.

x4zICWS.jpg

i called it the helicopterocket.

i put a huge amount of effort to design and test this thing. several days went just to design the robotic arm that would deploy the smaller rover from the cargo bay and pick it up again, without glitches - and makind the smaller rover fit inside the cargo bay while fulfilling my specifications was equally challenging. i had no idea how to make an helicopter and had to learn it all from scratch. and find a way to provide 100 electricity per second. and then those rotors make for horrible aerodynamics and i had to find ways to keep the rocket stable. and i did eventually overcome all those obstacles through trial and error and trial and trial and trial. that one in the picture is model 8-c. and i reused some numbers if i ditched a new variation soon enough.

all this, only to discover that helicopterocket still falls short of its objective. :(

it has 3600 m/s of deltaV available. i was hoping they'd be enough to cross the upper atmosphere and circularize, or at least get close enough that i could rescue the mission with an orbiter doing a quick rendez vous. not so. i can barely get out of the atmosphere. gravity drag is really horrible. i'd need at least 2 km/s of deltaV more than i have. i worked so much on optimizing this design, there's no way i can still squeeze enough power out of it.

today i accepted that project helicopterocket has failed, and that all the effort i put on it has been for naugh ;.;;.;

I'm sad.

20 hours ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

I made a video all about it today and why overall I am a little nervous about it.

Spoiler

Edited by Guest

I did some more prep work for my Eve mission, which is building a permanent settlement for holding an engineer and a scientist on the surface of Eve, wile they wait for a lander to be developed and get them back up to orbit. Sine the Kerbin / Eve tug is currently docked at the space bar, waiting for a transfer window, I've developed one small lab / hab for two kerbals that can land on solid ground on Eve (did a lot of tests). It will look like a mushroom (I did not manage to get rid of the  heatshield without destroyed to much things), since it seems you can push stuff through it using pistons.

479ADFF1B94CBFB9E340436797DE1BB1CC267FB8

The outpost cruising toward the space bar. I also have Way to Much fuel left, so I guess it will help shortening the injection burn to Eve.

9067B7A160FE8383EEF4DCDCB84E7E21C6DB1F68

And docked to the spacebar and the big tug to Eve. I tried various variant of this lab to be able to dock between the eight nuclear engines. There's not much space, but I found a way to pack everything in place (I struggled with antennas for a time). There's even the crew for the mission now, they'll have 1y and some to spend there, to adapt to loneliness in space. Roner will be assigned to the station, while Nadous and Wenman will land on Eve.

C9700C863398A4F0BEB3FDDE77AAF72A0F2F13CA

This is an attempt at crashing vessel on Eve for seismic experiments. Didn't go well (I crashed at 162 m.s), but at least it makes for nice shots of plasma flowers :)

480467647066FFA1AB89F7F1F10543A6584FBAF8

I had to reposition this infrared scanner (a looooong burn of 50min, but now I know how to physics warps outside of atmospheres!). And I caught a comet while doing it. This happened close to Moho orbit.

Next was trying a new rover.

93046C0D530D95C09765CC850966524B6CEDECAE

It totally works (for Jeb defense, he was asked to try a high speed maneuver at 40m.s and well.... the rover flipped).

4FA8659607EB9B3DFDD41FF7C2AB36469E23FABE

It can even scan trees. And dig holes in them. For science.

If you keep Jeb from doing crazy high speed shenanigans, this rover is quite stable and works fine. Next was sending it to Mun, to get the latest arm scanning experiments left.

08C874E0120165B90B9D61ED96C01502AF162A44

Bob had some new science experiments to deploy too.

AA1A3931442E8A41E1ADBA034265CEE67D63503A

And that would be the last of it, at least on Mun. Just need to wait for Val to come and pick up Jeb and Bob.

425076F183FD5FDAB3840940D7A97E2151089012

Which she promptly did (and landed 100m away from the rover). Return home was eventless.

And there was a last contract to be done. Having a satellite in an inclined Keostationnary orbit.

4BC51F031FBD959EBF11180C9F58CB14E1AC16D4

The probe has been photobombed by a comet (not sure if it's the same one than before though, didn't checked).

And now, I'm working on a base to be deployed on a class E asteroid. That will be kinda different than the Gateway Plexe. Not sure if I can do it before the window for Eve opens though, there's one of those asteroid close to Kerbin, need to figure the intercept burn.

I made a few design changes on the Giant MOFO and then sent it on its way towards Minmus. It will land on the surface to get refueled by the ISRU rover.

WjbUEtf.jpg

ziae3vE.jpg

MM5QM6b.jpg

Over at the Mun, the crew shuttle arrived from Kerbin.

JjgNJQ2.jpg

Beazor and Jorlof hopped into the lander and headed down to the surface to get some flag planting experience.

hR6peeN.jpg

The landed near an anomaly that turned out to be a memorial to a legendary kerbonaut.

soNNGmV.jpg

Unsuccessfully trying to upgrade 3rd stage by strapping on massive fuel tanks and more boosters without much else in the way of actual effort.. Time for a complete rebuild and new rocket. I need a Moho transfer ship and I need a new refueler for Laythe. The old one I has like .04 efficiency due to no heat dissipation

oL1UxNH.png.

U18Mp2J.png

yPERv9S.png

Edited by Bigbootie

18 minutes ago, Bigbootie said:

Unsuccessfully trying to upgrade 3rd stage by strapping on massive fuel tanks and more boosters without much else in the way of actual effort.. Time for a complete rebuild and new rocket. I need a Moho transfer ship and I need a new refueler for Laythe. The old one I has like .04 efficiency due to no heat dissipation

One word:

KRAKEN!

Solution:

EAS-4 Struts

Edited by Guest
People wanted me to trim the quote so I did