What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

8 hours ago, Goaty1208 said:

Where did you find the 1.10.1 version of kerbal alarm clock? I can't find it on CurseForge and SpaceDock.

4 hours ago, DerekL1963 said:

I've been using the latest version from the release thread with no problems.

(Also, please trim your quotes!)

Right, I installed this one in 1.9 and I haven't had any issues with it. The only mod I updated with 1.10.x was MechJeb and even that worked pretty well until I got around to finding the new version.

I violated the laws of man and god, and I did it in a convenient modular format that's easy to plug into most ship designs.

wyGvsqi.png

Then I bolted that abomination in the eyes of the Lord onto the bottom of a lander module and got halfway to Eeloo before aborting because I want my first visit there to actually be a meaningful achievement. 

I launched the new module for Minimus Station

ZppzDkn.jpg

The thing is so top-heavy, the rocket flew funny. MechJeb is having to hold the nose above prograde and the plasma effects are on the bottom side.

C9JZ7G9.jpg

It all worked well though. The module made it to orbit and initiated the transfer burn to Minmus.

2QXNmQe.jpg

Then I landed the lifter stage and recovered 77k funds. Net launch cost is less than 90k funds for a contract that will pay about 800k.

NcHAwIp.jpg

e35TCr8.jpg

Over at the Mun, I had a contract to recover a kerbal from orbit. He was in a retrograde orbit, of course. In order to make the recovery manageable, I had to swing up to a high Ap, reverse course there, then lower Ap back down to get a rendezvous. After which, I had to reverse the process to get back to Munar Station.

ckhXikB.jpg

The rendezvous was successful. I didn't bother slowing down and made Aller close the 60 m/s differential using his EVA pack. He didn't seem to mind too much.

nKUjjBU.jpg

Technically it was last night, but I landed on the mun for the first time in my career save. However things were not all sunshine and rainbows. I over estimated the TWR of my lander and found myself about 6000 meters off the muns surface, going about 250 M/S strait down with no chance of stopping in time. I jettisoned the drop tanks on the side to get rid of as much weight as possible, but we still impacted the ground at around 70 M/S or so. But for some reason Jeb, Bill, and Bob were spared imminent death and the lander just bounced. The only reason that I can think of why the terrier engine which has a impact tolerance of 7 M/S didn't explode is that maybe, by some stroke of luck, the shockwaves of the exploding drop tanks below somehow cushioned the impact enough to stop the whole thing from exploding.  

kh57yUO.png

Note that the landing legs are on the side tanks, which were jettisoned before landing.

jjLE2as.png

The part that somehow didn't explode.

aq35ZfS.png

What the plaque at the crash landing sight reads. (Ignore my inability to spell we're :P)

Intentional TSTO arrangement based on Saenger II hypersonic launcher and Horus orbiter. They separate at Mach 8+. The orbiter is mainly crew transport but has a cargo version for life support or KIS volume. It has

The launcher has enough dV to fly back to an airbase or possibly do 1/3 (maybe 1/2) a lap of JNSQ Kerbin, and has a cargo bay in case it ever needs to carry something other than the orbiter.

ldCZMXr.jpg

FnV0KPp.jpg

Edited by JadeOfMaar

13 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Intentional TSTO arrangement based on Saenger II hypersonic launcher and Horus orbiter. They separate at Mach 8+. The orbiter is mainly crew transport but has a cargo version for life support or KIS volume. It has

The launcher has enough dV to fly back to an airbase or possibly do 1/3 (maybe 1/2) a lap of JNSQ Kerbin, and has a cargo bay in case it ever needs to carry something other than the orbiter.

-snip-

Dropping jaw :o  You just made me want to redownload OPT ;) 

I've seen Class-H in tracking station today, I thought what (only seen Class-A to Class-E so far) so I went after it. In all the excitement it took a while to realize it's one of the comets (KSP 1.10.0.2917, Breaking Ground 1.5.0, no mods IIRC), but decided to try and see if I can catch it anyway. Had some 6M in career mode, but the comet was just about to pass the system so a quick build later (3-star, 4 level onion + moar boosters for some 5.2M) I was chasing that loveer out of the solar system.

WSs3mhG.png

rNujil7.png

Gbazzilion hours later (around 60y, seen some Dark episodes while gizmo was flying at x100000 time) I finally got to it. Definitely the longest (time & distance wise) mission I ever played, and it wasn't even a mission :)

8IUrNBS.png

Tried some optimistic stuff ...

P0ZIDxX.png

... it was descending ever so gently but of course it also bounced off ever so gently. It's nowhere to be seen right now, probably back to Kerbin already.

sqe0X8y.png

Can't do much else right now, in all the haste I only took a pilot and a scientist, both are in sci module but I have no connection to Kerbal. I'm dug in as a tick though ...

eWJejMW.png

Mm0r2EZ.png

but it's getting kind of dark here...

Vw17DNY.png

Not much else I can do right now, harvester starts and stops immediately, crew doesn't level up, science can't be sent, ... gotta wait to hit AP and then check back closer to PE if I can maybe do some stuff, maybe even detach and get those two sacrifical lambs back home.

HVvXK8h.png

57 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

I didn't make you actually do it though? I'm disappointed in myself. :sticktongue:

Somehow I left it out in my post... the orbiter has 4.5km/s dV.

Yeah yeah... but I actually did and have been working for the last hours in a LF only design already, so no shame on you this time :P  But seriously, good job mantaning OPT ;) and thank you!!

3 hours ago, Robi666 said:

I've seen Class-H in tracking station today, I thought what (only seen Class-A to Class-E so far) so I went after it. In all the excitement it took a while to realize it's one of the comets (KSP 1.10.0.2917, Breaking Ground 1.5.0, no mods IIRC), but decided to try and see if I can catch it anyway. Had some 6M in career mode, but the comet was just about to pass the system so a quick build later (3-star, 4 level onion + moar boosters for some 5.2M) I was chasing that loveer out of the solar system.

WSs3mhG.png

rNujil7.png

Gbazzilion hours later (around 60y, seen some Dark episodes while gizmo was flying at x100000 time) I finally got to it. Definitely the longest (time & distance wise) mission I ever played, and it wasn't even a mission :)

8IUrNBS.png

Tried some optimistic stuff ...

P0ZIDxX.png

... it was descending ever so gently but of course it also bounced off ever so gently. It's nowhere to be seen right now, probably back to Kerbin already.

sqe0X8y.png

Can't do much else right now, in all the haste I only took a pilot and a scientist, both are in sci module but I have no connection to Kerbal. I'm dug in as a tick though ...

eWJejMW.png

Mm0r2EZ.png

but it's getting kind of dark here...

Vw17DNY.png

Not much else I can do right now, harvester starts and stops immediately, crew doesn't level up, science can't be sent, ... gotta wait to hit AP and then check back closer to PE if I can maybe do some stuff, maybe even detach and get those two sacrifical lambs back home.

HVvXK8h.png

Wow that's far from Kerbol, I haven't played KSP in a while but are comets part of the KSP add-ons? Seems like it would make for a good mission to practice in sandbox. haven't done any deep space missions yet, but I did a fairly ambitious mission trying to dock with a class E asteroid in an inclined, eccentric and extremely close to the sun orbit once. I still have flashbacks from trying to rendevous and failing cause the relative velocity was 20 km/sec.

I built my biggest rocket ever, the 5m "Thunderer" class booster:

kgat1uE.png

To land my smallest rocket ever on the Mun:

AasaOEE.png

I just integrated USI Life Support into my game, so I needed to preposition a bunch of supplies, recyclers, and greenhouses in preparation for the crews coming back to the Mun. Since I've got facilities scattered all over the East Crater, if I just made one BIG rocket and landed everything in one shot, I'd have to space truck major components 15-20KM, including up the 45 degree slope of the North Rim. Instead, the skilled technicians at Jeb's Junkyard converted a whole pile of old water heaters into rockets capable of landing a metric ton of supplies onto the surface from Munar orbit. Using a 9 point engine plate, they caught a ride with a new component headed to Munar Station:

UNCJU14.png

Dropping the transfer stage after the capture burn:

j7TRrEK.png

Spinning up before release:

giNyxJH.png

And yeeting them out into orbit:

aUq6Bwf.png

The largest group of them landing near (VERY near) the workshop at the main base:

jZdWruu.png

Tipping over is a feature, not a bug, since it means that the batteries, tanks and fuel cells will be easier to cannibalize, and space constraints required one of the RT-500 recyclers to be mounted outside the storage container. Crews are launching as we speak to start integrating the new life support into the existing structures. I hope to lose as few as possible...

Edit: BTW, can anyone help me get pictures embedded into the post? I thought it was just new member restrictions, but it's still not letting me use the "Insert Image from URL" button on the editor???

Edit to the Edit: MANY thanks to James_Kerman for helping me sort my Imgur issue!

Edited by Kerbals_of_Steel

I flew several missions to Starlab to deliver the components needed for permanent occupation:

First was the station arm:

TvoRFMz.png

... which also brought up the secondary shuttle docking port...

6R9LONI.png

Next was the Pier Docking Service Module:

23O0sh7.png

VUVBUNs.png

MKDZspJ.png

Finally, the Kerbal Return Vehicle:

3mx7JaJ.png

0EIkDSo.png

With permanent occupation now possible, an engineer and two scientists remain behind as the shuttle pilots departed with Space Shuttle Opportunity:

dVpJwsq.png

The Pier Docking Service Module sleeps 2, so the crew of 3 will need to hot bunk for awhile until the station's dedicated habitation module arrives...

As you might recall, I have a couple of projects going.  One is to map the floor of Lake Tahoe, the big lake over at 21S 67E.  And continuing the Mercy inter-planetary rescue project...

In today's Comic Strip [click the first image and then use arrows to slide the show], I launch 8x Mercy capsules plus a Mule tug on an Aquila VIII lifter to rendez-vous with a Hedgehog, already in LKO.

Bl1YMSQ.png   XiX1QqD.png   WsqmYlA.png   tQOfJUX.png   dtio5EF.png   b3RwPIr.png

All the Mercy capsules had to be transferred from the Aquila VIII to the waiting Hedgehog (which already had 4), in what eye-witnesses called "a complex ballet in space".  Mission Control is not too convinced it will want to do this again the same way.  The final shot shows the transfer injection destined to GKO (Geosynchronous Kerbin Orbit).

Edited by Hotel26

I took Aller (the new Kerbal I just rescued) down to the surface of the Mun. He got his flag planting xp and it also fulfilled what seems to be an eternally renewing contract to plant a flag on the Mun. Good thing I pick them up every time or there would be dozens scattered around this little spot.

F0jnTuo.jpg

Over at Minmus, the new station module, module E arrived.

SnUc7Op.jpg

I got it joined to Minimus Station, then deorbited the small tug that brought it.

SNkxDCc.jpg

Then reconnected the docking cross at the end (with fuel tankers still attached). The station has gotten huge. This will probably be the last addition to the actual station, although I'm toying with the idea of building some liquid fuel/Nerv tankers to suport long-range ships in the future.

0sJXoD0.jpg

Back at KSP, the engineers played around with a design for a large lander/rover/ISRU craft. Having the wheels on pistons like this makes it really hard to flip over. I did a hard turn at 35 m/s as I went off the side of the runway and I just did a bunch of donuts (which was kind of fun).

99h5ol7.jpg

The Thud engines are another story. I can't seem to get the engines placed so it doesn't flip over on ascent. For one thing, the center of gravity seems to move around too much as the fuel level changes. Definitely still a work in progress.

32MIA1H.jpg