Jump to content

What did you do in KSP today?


Xeldrak
 Share

Recommended Posts

55 minutes ago, vv3k70r said:

Yes. My first landing was at night.

Which is one of the reasons why I use MechJeb to land.  I don't have to worry about not being able to see, and the computer does all the heavy lifting.  And if  do happen to land and it's dark, I can wait out for the sun to come up and start driving.

And, of course, it's only a game.  :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's not much to look at, but I'm pretty proud of myself for this Duna lander design. I got nearly every part stowed that should be stowed, and there's a lot of them. That includes the antennas, the science, some fuel donuts, a tiny rover with scanning arm, a hinge to push the rover out, a generator, and some fold-out engines with RCS incorporated. So just the landing legs and the ladder box are sticking out. The orbiter/return vessel also keeps all parts within fairings until it reaches space. Very clean looking rocket while it was on the launchpad.

dunalander1.png

dunalander2.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Popestar said:

Which is one of the reasons why I use MechJeb to land. 

I land manualy. Always. No mechjeb.

2 hours ago, Popestar said:

And if  do happen to land and it's dark, I can wait out for the sun to come up and start driving.

This I can do manualy any way. With over 70flight same time I have a lot other things to do.

59 minutes ago, Mitchz95 said:

Got a contract to rescue a Kerbal stranded in a solar orbit. Turns out it's a *retrograde* solar orbit.

He was testing a series of bad gravity assist?

Because amount of fuel to do that mean he started few centuries ago to get reasonable AP weeklight away.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've visited Voss

i2xZrNF.png

voeldD3.png

tIZJnaQ.png

Unfortunately, I've run into a very annoying bug with kerbals self-destructing the moment they touch planet surface (don't worry, everyone is still alive thanks to save reloading), so no flag planting this time.

With this, the only landable body in Fate-Destiny system that hasn't been landed on by a crewed mission is Gateway. Gonna try to rectify that before I begin exploring Kerbol system.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, NHunter said:

Unfortunately, I've run into a very annoying bug with kerbals self-destructing the moment they touch planet surface (don't worry, everyone is still alive thanks to save reloading), so no flag planting this time.

According to Kopernicus Issue #459, a good fix is going into your settings.cfg file in your KSP root, and editing the TERRAIN node like this:
 

TERRAIN
{
	preset = high
    version = your KSP version
 	PRESET
    {
    	name = Low
        // some planet-specific configs
    }
    PRESET
    {
    	name = Default
        // some planet-specific configs
    }
    PRESET
    {
    	name = High
       // some planet-specific configs
+       PLANET
+        {
+           name = Voss
+           minDistance = 4
+           minSubdivision = 1
+           maxSubdivision = 6
+       }
   }
}

If your terrain settings are set to something else, edit the subnode with the same name instead.

Alternatively, I believe MM can patch settings.cfg, so this might work:

@TERRAIN
{
	@PRESET:HAS[#name[#$../preset$]]
    {
    	+PLANET
        {
        	name = Voss
            minDistance = 4
            minSubdivision = 1
            MaxSubdivision = 6
        }
    }
}

Untested, of course :rolleyes:

This has the limitation that you will have to restart your game before playing at Voss after a terrain settings change.

 

Hope this helped :P

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  

18 hours ago, Popestar said:

I haven't done it before; this is my first rover.

@Popestar I hope you have fun and that your experience with rovers is better than mine.

 

16 hours ago, capi3101 said:

Dangerous as hell (especially at night), frustrating, taxing, prone-to-drive-one-to-drink-heavily

I completely agree with this statement. I built my first rover in 0.22. I put a bunch of science parts on it, flew it to the Mun, landed and took science readings. I then drove to the next biome and took science readings. To get there I had to adopt a strategy of driving for 60 seconds, then braking to a complete stop, quick saving and then driving again. On average I was only able to drive those 60 seconds without crashing about 1 out of 4 or 5 tries (and I was driving in the day time). The whole trip took somewhere between 2 and 3 hours (real time).

I haven't launched a rover since. Although, I did later build one to drive around KSC gathering science.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What I usually do for rovers is stick a Bon Voyage autopilot module on it and leave that to drive the rover in the background while I do something more interesting. Useful at stock scale, even more so in bigger systems e.g. JNSQ or RSS where the distances between interesting stuff is vastly larger. Besides the minor risk of going back to the rover to find it’s underground and immediately explodes, it works pretty well.

To answer the question that this thread is asking- I spent a lot of time yesterday trying to eke out enough delta-V to make a Moon lander but continuously came up short by about 1km/s. There’s a hard limit on how small I can make the lander before the avionics can’t fit inside it, so I may need to wait for some proper engines instead of using horribly inefficient RCS based thrusters (127s ISP) as the final landing stage or try to pare back the mass as much as possible, sacrificing some science equipment in the process. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

What I usually do for rovers is stick a Bon Voyage autopilot module on it and leave that to drive the rover in the background while I do something more interesting. Useful at stock scale, even more so in bigger systems e.g. JNSQ or RSS where the distances between interesting stuff is vastly larger. Besides the minor risk of going back to the rover to find it’s underground and immediately explodes, it works pretty well.

To answer the question that this thread is asking- I spent a lot of time yesterday trying to eke out enough delta-V to make a Moon lander but continuously came up short by about 1km/s. There’s a hard limit on how small I can make the lander before the avionics can’t fit inside it, so I may need to wait for some proper engines instead of using horribly inefficient RCS based thrusters (127s ISP) as the final landing stage or try to pare back the mass as much as possible, sacrificing some science equipment in the process. 

Have you used BV in 1.11? I keep getting scrambled rovers when i try to use it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I found end of sphere! There is edge! World is flat!

Or Minmus is just broken - I found this when all my wheels get destroyed for unknown reason:

A71FF40AE31CE6168F55126C1E5DD3FACED31F3C

D27F10F790B36225833C4CBCDEBD200B50514147

It do not disapear after restart.

How to get rid of that?

Edited by vv3k70r
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, vv3k70r said:

I found end of sphere! There is edge! World is flat!

Or Minmus is just broken - I found this when all my wheels get destroyed for unknown reason:

It do not disapear after restart.

How to get rid of that?

Reminds me of that old Danny2462 video.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wasted a lot of time trying to make a Moon lander when I clearly don’t have the required tech unlocked yet, then moved on to adapting an existing, and very successful, launch rocket to set up a LEO communications network for a contract (and to improve communications, if I do it properly). It won’t be a particularly well positioned network, but as long as it works to some extent it’s worth it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I get a mission to fix and move someones rover. I was seting fuel mine on Minmus so engineer was on the way anyway. But no wheels.

So I docked it with first rover that landed there and moved where they want.

CEDB555E73A95D6895E1BCFF523A0981E44E5568

Of course I stole the rover. And get mission to fix another one. And those parts will be usefull but I do not have spare solar panels.

But on my way was first rocket that landed this rover and it have solar panels.

View on this voyage was great:

83AA96EBA95B0387850388176790670B8DF7260F

Mun, Kerbin and Minmus - all spamed with snackseaters.

And here is rocket - I took docking ports, some landing legs for another project and big solar panels - bigger the better.

1F5D940451DD1314908637DF6ECA11BEF7109D9C

Heading now to another rover to fix. This one looks more usefull for me.

Rodzon Kerman - grand thief rover.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...