What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Today the my first interplanetary cruiser left Kerbin's gravity behind en route to Duna:

6Mork6x.png

Tagaloa can carry 50 kerbals for 5 years with life support, built in fabrication and ISRU capability, a full featured science suite, and two Pulelehua class landers capable of putting 3 kerbals and a metric ton of equipment onto either Duna or Ike:

jSiZC98.png

Loading supplies and equipment in LKO:

5vzVjUv.png

Arriving at Minmus after deploying all the farms and living space:

igHhF2G.png

Once in Minmus orbit, it was time to refuel, and dock with the intra-Kerbin ship Njord:

oWsb1to.png

KU5nUOg.png

We needed to meet up with the Njord to transfer some experienced crew, and offload a couple VIPs that wanted to be part of the first leg of the journey. The final burn into Duna transfer orbit:

DIWdSXN.png

npJyGib.png

Fare Thee Well, brave sailors of the Tagaloa!

Mechanics Mate 3rd Class: Tradorf Kerman

Quartermaster: Tom Kerman

Helmsman and Flight Control : Malcott Kerman

Chief Engineer: Kathkas Kerman

Science Officer: Mirlorf Kerman

Sailing Master:  Hellas Kerman

Away Team Alpha : Jeb, Bill, and Bob Kerman

Away Team Bravo: Kelry, Mildock, and Bildock Kerman

Valentina Kerman, Captain.

Danger, Will Robinson!  Scorpion at play...  (wherein I once more join battle with  infernal KSP Robotics.)

uGLfh6b.png   SkhE1mN.png

So far; so good.

Scorpion is a Paxmover-class airport service vehicle.  That "stinger" goes way up over Mk3 cabins/fuselages; or worst case, will catch a wing.  The other dock enables long-distance transportation on a flat-bed carrier (e.g. Pterodactyl).

Xju0P10.png   w30Jgop.png

Edited by Hotel26

Tried adding an expendable transfer stage to hurl Jeb at Laythe from a high (100Mm) orbit of Jool, burning aggressively to force an encounter with as little time spent in the deadly radiation zone as possible; Jeb still died before escaping again, and I discovered that all the heavy shielding on the cockpit means that the plane will sink if it lands in water- not good for a moon that’s almost entirely ocean!

I gathered up all my Mun contracts and sent Jeb an Phil off to complete them.

QhjKNdi.png

A total of 4 contracts to complete on this mission.

G2XlbuB.png

Spoiler

I found out the hard way that I put my Sepratron's off center a little bit

oOBhix9.png

No harm, no foul

ikQPv4x.png

Second stage takes over

GhLeyKW.png

Now on to the Mun

EM9Ffx5.png

Arrival at the Mun 

7uXEEFo.png

Touch down confirmed!

jnbmame.png

Phil surveys his work before he takes off.

yR5QiEs.png

Now to rescue a kerbal. We have to get close to almost everything.

gNCoNQm.png

But mission accomplished

yXIw5zm.png

Less than 60 seconds to re-entry and everybody's Happy!

pFI8Cm3.png

And a good omen before it gets warm

Erviszm.png

And everyone enjoyed the sunrise on the way down to Kerbin.

kSNY5GA.png

I am in a bit of a pickle. I went to the mun, got half way back and ran out of fuel. I was not expecting this because I've used similar designs in the past. Then I noticed I forgot fuel lines- I have a central fuel tank full of untouched lovely oxygen and fuel and four outer small tanks and engines. Doh.

Is there a mod I can use so that I can either "carry" fuel and oxygen between the central tank to the engine tanks whilst on an EVA, or maybe install a fuel line whilst on an EVA?

mZQiQtr.jpg

7 minutes ago, Stewcumber said:

I am in a bit of a pickle. I went to the mun, got half way back and ran out of fuel. I was not expecting this because I've used similar designs in the past. Then I noticed I forgot fuel lines- I have a central fuel tank full of untouched lovely oxygen and fuel and four outer small tanks and engines. Doh.

Is there a mod I can use so that I can either "carry" fuel and oxygen between the central tank to the engine tanks whilst on an EVA, or maybe install a fuel line whilst on an EVA?

mZQiQtr.jpg

Not sure what version you have, but if its the latest, you should be able to have an engineer attach them in EVA. If it's an older version, KIS (Kerbal Inventory System) should let you attach the fuel lines.

Spoiler

I've used both with success but not for fuel lines to be honest. I suggest attaching to tank the fuel comes FROM first, as in the VAB.

14 minutes ago, Stewcumber said:

If you upgrade the research center to level 2 in career mode then you get access to resource transfer and can right-click on the tanks to transfer fuel between them.

After a lengthy hiatus from the game I came back and decided to design and fly a shuttle between my Mun Station and the Surface of the Mun.

JJAwtqB.png

I realized that there was a Jool transfer window open so i spent the week building an overly complicated Mothership to send to the Jool system along with 2 shuttles and a variety of other crafts.

4g8lhLE.png

OQjmvpq.png

z5u6RSs.png

After sending it and the other Jool-bound spacecraft along their merry way I sent Peter Kerman and the rest of the crew of the Mun Shuttle down to the surface for a bit of fun.

xcrhVw2.png

sZMdZFQ.pngThe landing area was too sloped for the light to work so they let it sleep for a while

12 hours ago, Caerfinon said:

You might try this one to move things around inside the ship

I will try this mod!

12 hours ago, Dientus said:

Not sure what version you have, but if its the latest, you should be able to have an engineer attach them in EVA. If it's an older version, KIS (Kerbal Inventory System) should let you attach the fuel lines.

Reveal hidden contents

I've used both with success but not for fuel lines to be honest. I suggest attaching to tank the fuel comes FROM first, as in the VAB.

I'm on the latest version and not running any mods. How do I attach the two tanks on EVA? They're currently attached by a strut and a "girder" thing so I assume no crossfeed (hence the tank not draining). I've tried various right clicking, Alt right clicking, using the construction button thing on the top right of the screen...

12 hours ago, xub313 said:

If you upgrade the research center to level 2 in career mode then you get access to resource transfer and can right-click on the tanks to transfer fuel between them.

This is in Sandbox mode

15 minutes ago, Stewcumber said:

This is in Sandbox mode

Right-click the tanks that need the fuel and the tank that has the fuel.  Use Shift-Right-click to hold them open as you go, or Pin them open.

The fuel amounts will be shown and you will be able to command one tank to fill or empty a particular resource.  That fuel will flow to all other tanks with the resource.  You won't be able to control a particular resource unless all other tanks have that resource.   There is a KSP Setting for Tweakable pop-ups: you made need that for full control, but I have never had to use it.

The Resource panel up in the top-right corner (toolbar) is invaluable and I fly with it open at all times.  You can use it to open all tanks of a particular resource (which can then be pinned).

Locking tanks off and fuel priorities are other, related topics for exploration.  (Locking tanks does not affect the manual kind of fuel control discussed above, however.)

Don't think any mods are required.

1 minute ago, Stewcumber said:

i need to be in the ship

Good!

You need focus on the ship -- not on you on EVA, which is a separate vessel.

And, with focus on the ship, you need either a Kerbal or a probe control (in comm with the network if you have Commnet active).  So technically, you don't need the kerbal if you have some other form of control.

Thanks for the help!

Now that they're home I can call my Mun mission successful (sort of - that's Geofwell bouncing down the hill), and I moved onto Minmus, as part of my plan to go to Duna after not going to space for a few years.

It took an absolute age to get an intercept and I needed to adjust a few times mid flight (transfer?) to actually get captured by Minmus. Once I was there, landing went smoothly: dumping my just-about-spent main stage and then dropping the rover from about 10m and then drifting a bit so the lander doesn't land on top of the rover.

CutmuY7.jpg

The rover however is a bit rubbish and I don't think I've actually been off kerbin since the wheel physics fundamentally changed, because it was basically undrivable! I set the wheel friction very low and it didn't help with tipping over even at about 7m/s. It was also wanting to tip over backwards in 4 wheel drive mode when I accelerating but it was better with just the front wheels. So the mission was, again, sort of a success:

MBGjfVG.jpg

But everyone got home again safely so I think it is time to revise the rover a bit.

ZaLhd6f.jpg

Edited by Stewcumber

1 hour ago, Stewcumber said:

The rover however is a bit rubbish and I don't think I've actually been off kerbin since the wheel physics fundamentally changed, because it was basically undrivable! I set the wheel friction very low and it didn't help with tipping over even at about 7m/s. It was also wanting to tip over backwards in 4 wheel drive mode when I accelerating but it was better with just the front wheels. So the mission was, again, sort of a success:

KSP really likes to punish you for any COM above the wheel centre. so when you build 1 try to get the COM low. On Kerbin this can be done with a jet engine that has it's nozzle pointed at the sky. I don't know if it works without an oxygen atmosphere. The engine doesn't have to be able to run, just be positioned.

Edited by ColdJ

I set out to rescue 3 kerbals with one launch. 

LX91Hd8.png

LKO rescue complete.

WaUHqtL.png

HKO rescue complete.

GohQg49.png

LMO rescue complete.

HDK92e5.png

Now to head for home. . . What do you mean we are going to run out of gas? (I had some sloppy rendezvous and wasted a bit of delta v)  

y8scmRz.png

Launched a rescue mission to rescue the rescue mission.

ANYh4PE.png

And the kebals are happy to be on the way home again.

LhgRasf.png

And back on Kerbin. A new quality statement is born "Rocket Rescue, We do it the hard way"

2g1FznE.png

14 hours ago, Conric005 said:

Out of curiosity, what mod are you using for that base piece?

Planetside Exploration Technologies, primarily.

3 hours ago, FezCool said:

Out of curiosity what planet is this?

JNSQ Minmus