What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

First up, the kraken prone KOFD-2 was deorbited. However, I forgot to take screenshots the camera malfunctioned, and no footage was recovered.  The deorbit was a bit harrowing, as the ANTS sent to deorbit it (ANTS-4) was nearly burnt up with the station. However, some quick thinking, a burn radial out, and a short skim through the upper atmosphere managed to recover it.

Then it's successor, the OFD-1 was launched.

LoCUUad.png

cTRUxgo.png

Z81m5x6.png

ImKPFOb.png

H7LnVge.png

vxyGqzU.png

Next up, the second module was launched during a rare nighttime launch.

Z99divW.png

ylLYPod.png

DYyVw3A.png

0FjURgr.png

YOVyI6x.png

jxSHDq1.png

HPjTdYD.png

The brand new ANTS launched to deorbit the KOFD-2, ANTS-4, was rendezvoused and docked with the OFD-1

pnxOR2G.png

ywCYV8u.png

xOlPmX3.png

Next, I decided to finally switch out the crew at Mungate Station, launched back in Year 2. Poor Wilmon Kerman has been alone on the station in the centrifuge for over 7 years.

NqzzSxV.png

Ivbcu25.png

In a lapse of judgement, the Expeditioner is undocked before Wilmon is transferred on board, and as it has no remote control, efforts to redock with it are unsuccessful. 

With no other choice, I EVA'd Wilmon over. I'd like to think he would enjoy it after being cooped up for so long. 

hRClyNR.png

lfnJipv.png

vpFgJxr.png

Wilmon gets in his 7 year old Expeditioner. Somehow it's still functioning perfectly after being idle for so long. He backs away for the time being, he needs to be out of the way for a moment.

huHkttv.png

The Callisto brought here by an ANTS tug undocks, and begins the docking sequence.

u9XNMEW.png

3JhwsxZ.png

xpMt2fR.png

SYumtcI.png

The docking process is relatively quick, and the skeleton crew of just Wilmon Kerman is replaced by a joint Kerman - Von Kerman crew of 3. Meanwhile, the Expeditioner moves to dock with the ANTS tug. While the Expeditioner has enough fuel to head back to Kerbin by itself, I'm too lazy and want to bring both back at once after 7 years of inactivity, engineers had concern about the reliability of the engines.

B5ruvqs.png

However, I ran out of time, so that'll have to be a job for next time.

Last night I finished designing the future expansion of my Kerbin Orbital Manned Station (OMS).

OygibkS.png

The first node was launched into orbit with the basic technologies available, but without a solid idea for future construction. The planned layout for Kerbin OMS (eventual Mk6) includes expanded science labs, a dedicated equipment delivery node (bottom), LF/O refueling docks (port & starboard), plus ample solar generation for LKO.

wU2r6B7.png

I'm using primarily BDB long with Probes Before CrewKerbal Construction Time, and TAC Life Support to spice up this Career... so I quickly realized planning was going to be important. There's only so much I can lift into space at any given moment and my Kerbals are on the clock if I want them to survive.

RYZmwxb.png

The modular system of nodes is intended to be launched on Prometheus and Sarnus type rockets from BDB over five launches, so they had to be space-efficient and relatively compact. For each node, I tried to consider how future expansions would affect the overall layout, avoiding "boxing myself in" to specific nodes only able to be placed in specific locations. 

Once Stockalike Station Parts Redux and HabTech2 parts are unlocked in this playthrough, I plan to further expand this LKO station. This would include hydroponics, a larger equipment/solar truss system, and support for future types of automated cargo & delivery spacecraft.

Edited by scottadges

1 minute ago, herbal space program said:

I.....improvised!

PuGDo1o.png

I forgot to put radiator panels on my Ike ore extraction contract vessel, so I had to get creative with the MK3 spaceplane I had in the Duna system for a totally different set of missions. Don't try this on Kerbin!

Looks, uh, safe.

I finally got around to adding the lab to my Small Kerbin Station, then sent up the first crew to inflate the hab module & begin doing some zero-g research

YGxajHF.png?1

Spoiler

The crew went up in the new Girroc MPV (Multi-Purpose Vehicle) featuring a 3-seat command pod.  The basic version enters LKO with a little over 400 m/s dV remaining.  Pictured here jettisoning the LES tower

NZFjskih.png?1

Waiting to rendezvous with the station

w3vTLveh.png?1

ifmEdqNh.png?1

Once docked and the hab module inflated, Kelrik's next task was attaching all the scientific instruments to the lab module's exterior while Val relaxed in the station command module & Bob got to work in the lab

AqxZrMMh.png?1

dv0TCo2h.png?1

Once all science gear was installed, his last task was to install two additional solar panels  - one to the fuel module and the second to the lab - to keep everything powered without depending too much on the backup fuel cell

C19Josqh.png

Then I sent another crew to Minmus & brought them home safely

RJzaIy0h.png?1

Spoiler

of2gslGh.png?1

iSPTe9Qh.png?1

They found a nice wide crater to land in, bringing back data from a previously untouched biome

XnqaIJRh.png?1

The transfer stage was used to bring the lander's orbital velocity down to nearly 0 before being staged away

lG348tUh.png?1

Kvg9Hcoh.png?1

I added a small supply of extra food for the mission, so the crew was able to snack all the way home instead of being stuck hungry the last 7 hours

TJLao4Fh.png?1

BRMg2g9h.png?1

S1n3WWzh.png?1

lNAzZ57h.png?1

12 minutes ago, Admiral Fluffy said:

What do you mean by air launched? Like launched one from an airplane?

Yeah!

3mPyJb1.jpg

aTNJFBS.jpg

8jZi0PZ.jpg

Unfortunately the game doesn't have a good way to deal with the plane after I go fly the rocket, so I reverted after this - I didn't want to lose the plane and the pilot.

And it only took three people and half a year

RQXfDlq.jpg

Enter Cassandra, infinite-range heavy multipurpose spaceplane boasting a cargo elevator, VTOL thrusters, scanning equipment and up 4 500 m/s of nuclear dV in a compact package. Initially conceived as a small rework of successful Galatea, Cassandra took quite some time to flesh out and would not be possible without the help of @Hotel26 and @swjr-swis. But now, after some hours of grueling labor of patching the design, it is one hell of a fine way to transport cargo (especially rovers!) all over the Kerbol system.

fMYNsCs.jpg

The fore cargo bay houses mining equipment: ISRU, two drills, fuel cells, radiators and a short-range scanning device, as well as some ore and fuel tanks and main docking port. It serves as a counterweight to four pairs of RAPIER engines located aft above the wing plane. The wing itself, it must be noted, is also not that simple, featuring mid-wing elevons and some very fancy curves if I dare say so myself.

VB1N2xw.jpg

Aft cargo bay is where the magic happens. The cargo area, spacious enough for a large scientific rover or a moderately-sized base element, is situated between two pairs of nuclear engines for vacuum propulsion. An elaborate elevator was designed to allow relatively large rovers and base elements to leave the cargo plate — the front of the cargo plate lowers more than the rear, leaving greater height clearance for vehicles egressing forward. 

Cassandra sure is not easy to operate, but as for me, the class is well worth it.

Finished off my Kerbalism Grand Tour, which unfortunately didn't actually complete the Grand Tour as it skipped Moho, Mun and Minmus (maybe I just don't like celestial bodies starting with M?)

I'm going to take another run at it with a new and improved ship- less clutter and less junk, more delta-V and more resource recycling- but first I need to do a bit more design work.

I managed to implement (preliminary) support for WaterfallFX on TweakScale! #HURRAY!!

2021-0529_Working-Prototype.jpg

Still some work to do, but the thing works!

POST EDIT

Yep, things are improving! :)

2021-0531-00_Working-Prototype.jpg

Edited by Lisias
post edit

40 minutes ago, Caerfinon said:

Jeb out for an undersea adventure finds a little more than he expected.....

That look seriously freakin AWESOME!!!!!

Very nice craftmanship mister Artisan.