What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

4 hours ago, OrdinaryKerman said:

Where's that frame and gantry crane from? It it a WIP new part for Mk-33 for fast cargo loading?

Yes. It is the new Mk-33 Payload Crane, a robotic part. It is being developed still. I am waiting until after KSP 1.12 to release it.

Continued Duna arrivals today.  The first up was the Duna-Lynx rover, which ended in loss of vehicle due to a collision between the fairing and rover's landing rockets.  Despite impacting at several hundred m/s, a small section of the rover landed intact.  Somehow.  At least it gives us a target to aim for with the surface outpost.

GrfJ8PZh.png

Spoiler

TixlAnWh.png

Falling upside down after fairing deployment destroyed the skycrane

1pBPAQzh.png

Great, not only a failed mission but trash to pick up as well....

OsuIQCmh.png

Next up was another fuel tanker, which entered orbit then successfully docked with Duna Station.

h7YSvuKh.png

WTefywFh.png

The Red Lander arriving:

hgwIQQkh.png

GSGg6ruh.png

The biggest event of course was the arrival of Red Scout, placing the first kerbals into orbit around another planet

First EVA in Duna's SoI

8CRLsJdh.png

Spoiler

Matching planes with the station.  Apparently everything BUT the Duna Station came in with just a few degrees inclination.  Duna Station - which arrived first, so I didn't know better - arrived with a 13* inclination.

ioXh0SBh.png

eSzgKdGh.png

9ZDd1X2h.png

WAiNdy0h.png

Docking with the station.  In the dark.  With no spot lights because - of course - I forget them on this design even though twenty other large ship designs with the same cockpit set-up I remembered to add them.

SezK4uhh.png

First Duna sunrise in orbit.  Bob is busy getting the greenhouse started while Jeb & Val relax after the rendezvous & docking and Kelrik checks out the station systems.

47juCQth.png

Other arrivals (life support supplies, station tender, Ike lander)

Gufmx1Rh.png

MHOrneah.png

a4z3ECyh.png

KZbgD7qh.png

Well, what a lot of fun!!

St Moritz, my new ski chalet nestled in the Heavenly Alps.  My first approach had to be a go-around.  [click + arrows = slideshow]

vKbno2a.png     ARFom2G.png     sMjqbBi.png

WpnvFpo.png     MCZZSyd.png     mqFYJNS.png

But the second pulled up to a full-stop with a little runway left.

KsFOKJg.png

The runway is only just long enough for the Twin Otter to get out, descending into a ravine.  It's also elevated just enough such that the Otter's props cannot clear the berm.  The pilot must therefore reverse the craft back down the runway before the run-up and departure.

I love it.  I can't wait to go skiing!  (Yes, there will be heli-skiing at St Moritz, too!)

Edited by Hotel26

Somewhat successfully landed the surface outpost on Duna in my JNSQ save - one landing leg failed, but it was wide enough not to fall over. 

fFWAJ8Nh.png

umHu8gch.png

jQqgVpwh.png

For just a second, I thought I'd hit it just right.....

ip8MLioh.png

But KSP quickly corrected that notion

WOvNf88h.png

A test run of landing the crew didn't work so I reloaded back before the lander deorbited but didn't have the patience to do that again.  I really don't understand what is going on because I thought the JSNQ Duna had a very thin atmosphere, closer to the real Martian atmosphere but my lander (and the outpost) were felt much more like they were dealing with a thick atmosphere.  Maybe try again tomorrow.

HnoMaAJh.png

I took on some contracts to repair broken stuff...I had never seen those before but I'm super excited about them. Too bad I ran out of time to do anything more than get my engineer into LKO.

I messed around a bit with the maneuver tool and I was a little underwhelmed if I'm being honest. Maybe if I watch a video that explains it, I'll have a better understanding of its usefulness over manually fiddling with a node until I get what I want (even if that's less efficient). At least seeing them the transfer windows start/end will help with planning stuff.