What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Need to upload pics, but I've decided to move on from a 3x rescaled system (1.25x atmosphere thickness) ... to 4x rescaled system.

~4800 m/s in low orbit is no joke...

My old 3x 2 stage  reusable launcher ceased working, because I needed the first stage to get to a proportionately higher velocity (in order to have enough "hang time" for the 2nd stage to get to orbit), and hte arliner wings just couldn't take the heat (they barely could at 3x).

So the airliner wings had to be replaced with shuttle wings... and I ended up doing a complere redesign (2nd stage stayed pretty much the same).

Got a 105 ton payload into orbit, and safely got my plane down. A few issues were noticed:

* lack of an antenna + lack of a proper relay network+plasma blackout+ occlusion settings often resulted in no control signal- antenna added, and a relay network needs to be launched

* Thrust imbalance during late stages of 1st stage burn due to the COM shifting, due to the payload being mounted a bit on top of the carrier plane, to be solved by an action group shutting down some engines. As it was, I needed to cycle the carrier planes engines while the 2nd stage's engines were firing (crossfeed design) to keep it somewhat on track

* Excess oxidizer carried by the carrier planefor what was needed to get to orbit. Of course, it probably could have supported a launch of a heavier payload, but then even more LF would be needed. As it was I was already using one of these: https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Mk3_Liquid_Fuel_Fuselage_Long I really don't want to have to add one of these: https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Mk3_Liquid_Fuel_Fuselage

Normally I wouldn't want to use either, but the switch from airliner wings to shuttle wings has made part count an issue if I want to just add more "wet wings" to achieve the desired fuel capacity.

10 hours ago, Admiral Fluffy said:

Did some stuff.

I thought i would try to make an underwater car.

MoyeuaK.png

Reveal hidden contents

Failed at about -20 meters.

suc967E.png

So I added moar.

EhI4kaL.png

That stopped around -50 meters.

7KK0mg2.png

I also made some spinny things!

caTAX9f.png

Hide contents

This reaches about 256 meters.

IetuIpL.png

Second version.

JbVYeIo.png

381 meters for this one.

EyaIJwe.png

Result:dyJBQxV.png

Ack! Too hot!

pFfaiTd.png

Kaboom!

aWtO0VI.png

Turned on Ignore max temp for that.

j5kxgud.png

And it worked pretty well!

d0OmGRF.png

No wings this time.

c5XSZmq.png

More no wings

MeWfPo9.png

As well as taking that concept to the extreme...

2SqjNYM.png

It worked though!

lEQTzDx.png

And then I took it ever further.

ywBgYfa.png

Didn't go anywhere. Poor Kerbal.

hN1IKpE.png

Attempt two didn't go much better.

7U2JUXP.png

That's what I did.

I am going to go to Florida tomorrow, so I will be mostly not here for the next 5 days.

Hide contents

Maybe go say hi to @GuessingEveryDay!

9 hours ago, Br0wnie007 said:

cool  i don't design models but i can help you find bugs 

Alright!

Go give a whirl!

8 hours ago, Timmon26 said:

Visited the artificial gravity station I'm building with a new reusable SSTO ship. The station will take six more launches to finish the contra-rotating lab and habitation sections. 

6laq9ne.png

9QYMeVT.png

That's a unique SSTO design, I'm intrigued! What's it based on, and how does it take off? Vertical SSTOs aren't very common, as far as I'm aware. Might have to attempt one myself!

Have been away for a few years, mostly due to an aging computer. Got a new mac, and so got back into KSP.

So now I'm still finding my way to the mun and minmus again.. I kind of bungled my mun landing and ended up sideways. Tried to find a mun stone, but without a rover, jeb had a shortish range with his eva pack and I couldn't find anything. When I tried righting the ship, I found out I forgot to add solar panels, and the side mounted engines I used wouldn't provide electricity, so no reaction wheels. Ended up having to cheat no damage to take off.

I then started a sandbox game to try and get to Valentine and see what that's about. Its this new solar system from the extrasolar mod. Took me a whole day to build and send a ship there, and when I was almost getting there, the game started bugging out. I couldn't warp properly, and I didn't have thousands of years to spare flying at regular speed. So I deleted that mod and got OPM. hopefully that'll be less buggy.

So started a new career cause deleting interstellar and extrasolar gave me lots of errors on my game. 

Next I'm gonna have to  complete contracts to get money to upgrade my tracking station so that I can start using maneuver nodes. I managed for the 1st time ever to fly by the mun and back without maneuver nodes or patched conics. Just seat of the pants (and Kerbal Engineer to know where my apoapsis/periapsis is). That was cool.

2 minutes ago, Kebab Kerman said:

That's a unique SSTO design, I'm intrigued! What's it based on, and how does it take off? Vertical SSTOs aren't very common, as far as I'm aware. Might have to attempt one myself!

It's just a small payload atop tapering fuel tanks, with six aerospikes and an inflatable heat shield for reentry. Has about 3.5-4km/s dV and a TWR of 1.4 or so,  depending on the payload mass. It's not as fuel efficient as an equivalent HTO space plane, but it sure is expedient - just flies straight to orbit, then reenters like a capsule with parachutes.  This design can't land without crushing the heat shield, so it has to splash down just east of KSC. Definitely improvable with a few tweaks, could maybe lose the heat shield if the engines won't explode... I just needed something to GTFTO quick.

The closest real life equivalent is probably the DC-X.

1 hour ago, Timmon26 said:

This design can't land without crushing the heat shield, so it has to splash down just east of KSC. Definitely improvable with a few tweaks, could maybe lose the heat shield if the engines won't explode... I just needed something to GTFTO quick.

If you have any dV to spare, slowing down to below 1700 and then staying around or below that using throttle adjustments might allow you to ditch the shield entirely, though shifting the shield to the front and moving the docking port to the rear and entering the atmosphere nose-on will probably help a little more, and it gives you adequate clearance for landing legs.

Edited by Kebab Kerman

I've been preparing some career stuff on, well, stock:/, although i haven't done anything since i temporally quitted RSS, so yeah, you know, i decided to stay for a loong time in the Stock System, and then i did some KSP Sandbox business, with Principia and Kerbalism though.

To be honest, it was... kind of hard, but at least i understanded what the hell i was doing, so yeah, kind of easy...

And yes, i just rushed to a new Sandbox and entered the tracking Station to watch how everything has new and better but complex Orbital Physics.

I made a patch for OPM to make the orbits and positions exactly much more RSS, unfortunately, it seems like it not working very well. And i used a OPM-Principia Patch, seems to work well except that Ovok is not an analogue of a real moon of saturn, i may work on a new patch for it so Ovok can be a Hyperion Analog.

Then, i entered to the VAB to build and launch a Eve Probe. Unlike the previous one (which was the Venera 9), this one is using a Argon Engine as a Propulsion engine.

screenshot0.png

However, there was a small problem... the Spacecraft is quite big and weights 4 tons, all of that was because of the science instruments which are from both Dmagic Orbital Science and Interkosmos(using a patch), and the batteries, Argon fuel tanks, Capacitors, 3 Probe cores for Science Data Storage...

However, i thinked of a new rocket that i didn't launched a few RSS, Stock careers ago, a [not so]Titan III-C Launch Vehicle.

screenshot2.png

Unlike the real one, one of it's boosters has 4 Swivel engines since i couldn't find a better one. And no Centaur Booster[actually, there is, but it's on the second stage].

Despite the name(Soden Deep SpaceCraft) it can't reach to Soden[actually, it can, but wathev] because i don't want so.¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anyways, now, let's launch it.
Blah Blah Blah, launch was easy, high TWR i think.
screenshot3.png
screenshot5.png
screenshot8.png
Inclinating the rocket to adapt the trajectory.
screenshot9.png
screenshot11.png
That should do it.
Haha Titan III-C go full re-exit.
screenshot13.png
Radial Boosters have been depleted, and like always, decoupled.
screenshot14.png
Well, we're on vacuum space, so adios fairings.
screenshot17.png
screenshot19.png
Blah Blah Blah, random unplanned maneuvers stuffs.
screenshot20.png
Since Principia kills the Stock Maneuver node and replaces it with the Flight Plan thing, i had to use my maths to calculate where the hell i'm going.
screenshot22.png
Mmmmm, this frame is saying something... well, i'm quite closer, but not enough...
*more unplanned maneuvers later*
screenshot23.png
we're so close!
screenshot24.png
Mmmm... now the only thing i need is a little push towards the correct way... and i'll be able to flyby Eve
screenshot26.png
If only i executed the maneuver...
screenshot28.png
anyways, let's execute it.
screenshot30.png
screenshot31.png
huh, that's quite odd.
screenshot32.png
Oh look, my orbit is slimmy.
screenshot33.png
What the absolute-
screenshot35.png
uhhh, why?... mmmmm...
screenshot38.png
well, that was very weird...
screenshot39.png
screenshot40.png
What the hell am i doing...
screenshot41.png
It only needs a few more kicks and...
screenshot42.png
screenshot43.png
Just a little bit more.
screenshot44.png
Aaaaaaaaand done.
screenshot45.png
bye bye Flight Plan
screenshot46.png
screenshot49.png
Just a little push...
screenshot50.png
screenshot52.png
A little bit more...
screenshot53.png
screenshot55.png

The wath.:huh:
screenshot56.png
Uh... watehv
screenshot57.png
We're getting much more closer to Eve!
screenshot58.png
Just a few pushes more
screenshot59.png
mmmm... we're way too close to it, at least it's not below 100KM of Periapsis.
screenshot60.png
screenshot61.png
That should do it!
screenshot63.png
Bye Kerbin...
screenshot65.png
screenshot67.png
screenshot71.png
screenshot78.png
Ok, so... this is my trajectory in a ESO frame... but... well, i know how this works kind of, but ummm....
screenshot79.png
Looks like that my spacecraft is ok.
screenshot81.png
Just a few time warps...
screenshot97.png
and now, i'll ignite the De-orbiter Booster.(yes, i have Corelian Planet Pack)
screenshot99.png
screenshot104.png
screenshot105.png
Mmmmm... Eve's clouds looks quite Yolky, i mat have to switch to Mid-res textures...
screenshot106.png
Damn it, it didn't even captured an orbit...
Anyways, i'll ignite the Argon engine, and since it consumes a lot of Energy, i had to use capacitors to re-fill faster the energy storage.
screenshot149.png
And well, you know, i had to ignite a lot of times the engine so it can capture an orbit... And you know what happened.
screenshot150.png
Wow, that is beautiful...
screenshot161.png
screenshot162.png
Anyways, reigniting the engine to capture orbit.
screenshot164.png
screenshot165.png
Lol what is this trajectory.
screenshot166.png
screenshot168.png
Lmao, Tadpoles orbit.
screenshot172.png
Just a little bit more...
screenshot174.png
Aaaaaaaand Finished!
screenshot178.pngWell, that was very interesting... Now if only this happened on my career...

And well, i have some others KSP installs, 4 in total, RSS, Galaxies Unbound(Trappist System HomeSwitch), Stock System, and GPP.

But well, i won't do much KSP today since i'll be working on Science Defs, and of course i may take a break for now...

I hope this quote thing partially closes itself.

yay, it's working!:D

Edited by Venusian Explorer

1 hour ago, xjames said:

Have been away for a few years, mostly due to an aging computer. Got a new mac, and so got back into KSP.

So now I'm still finding my way to the mun and minmus again.. I kind of bungled my mun landing and ended up sideways. Tried to find a mun stone, but without a rover, jeb had a shortish range with his eva pack and I couldn't find anything. When I tried righting the ship, I found out I forgot to add solar panels, and the side mounted engines I used wouldn't provide electricity, so no reaction wheels. Ended up having to cheat no damage to take off.

I then started a sandbox game to try and get to Valentine and see what that's about. Its this new solar system from the extrasolar mod. Took me a whole day to build and send a ship there, and when I was almost getting there, the game started bugging out. I couldn't warp properly, and I didn't have thousands of years to spare flying at regular speed. So I deleted that mod and got OPM. hopefully that'll be less buggy.

So started a new career cause deleting interstellar and extrasolar gave me lots of errors on my game. 

Next I'm gonna have to  complete contracts to get money to upgrade my tracking station so that I can start using maneuver nodes. I managed for the 1st time ever to fly by the mun and back without maneuver nodes or patched conics. Just seat of the pants (and Kerbal Engineer to know where my apoapsis/periapsis is). That was cool.

Well, welcome back!

I took a break from the Historical Space Race this morning, and I fired up my career save that is an extension of the Caveman challenge.  I am working on a space station in LKO (150km...ish), and part of that will be that it is going to be used as a refueling station at some point.  In order to make that a refueling station, I have to go and do surveys of the Mun and Minmus.  This leads me into my ability - or lack thereof - to craft satellites that don't all look the same or have the same functions.  So I built Cartographer I:

stH2xgD.png

XOq0RTR.png

This ends up being an SSTO with enough fuel to get to Mun before I have to decouple and use the fuel on the satellite itself.  So I launch and send it on its way to do its thing.

6J6F9mA.png

rpQYfc2.png

I set the cutoff to 60% so I can see those areas that have a higher concentration of ore; this should, in theory, allow me to focus future landings on the Mun to get to where the best eats are at, right?  And one of my previous landings, well before the survey, is right in a sweet spot.  Yay me!

Anyhow, I thought about sending the probe to Minmus from the Mun, but that polar orbit requirement messed with my fuel.  So I sent the probe to my space station, Terra I, to dock and await a fuel transfer.

ZZFSdJy.png

1rSmEHv.png

Terra I is currently inhabited by a couple of Kerbs I saved from LKO.  This is punishment for getting launched into LKO by someone other than me and then me having to waste the funds to go rescue them!  The station itself is pretty basic right now, with a cupola, an MPL, and a solar array with some heat sinks.  It's fairly basic, but it serves the current purpose.  I will have to add fuel refinement and/or tanks for storage at some point.

Cartographer I is basically a drone with a survey scanner, some solar panels, and a relay antenna.  I put the relay on it because it is intended to be used to map ALL bodies in the Kerbol system; I can dock this thing to any ship that has a docking port, take it with to whatever planet or moon, set it free to do the scanning, and then re-dock.  The antenna is there so that it has a link back to Kerbin to send data.  Don't know if that's needed or not, but if I use real-world examples, I need it.  And it looks cool.

That's what I did today.  Tomorrow I'll refuel Cartographer I and send it to Minmus.

Lago Akatsuki

A body of liquid at 3200 meters. in Eve? Is it another Lake Titicaca?

What is the surprise to arrive and find that there was never a lake and there are some fragments of land with the denomination of "Lake Akatsuki" distributed among the overheated Peaks quite a distance from each other.

Maybe a joke or just the overt reluctance to rate biomes accordingly? Or do we continue to blame everything on Kraken? Luckily there is the Kraken, it would be sad to recognize mistakes.  

ql9mUGJ.png

Yesterday, from another thread.  2.7 million kilonewtons of thrust.

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

And, it flew before the game crashed and the universe died.

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

How much motor is that?  I used the humble S3-KS-25x4.   And there are one thousand six hundred and eighty of them going in this picture.

Brother, the 'Whack is back.

I've continued testing the use of the space plane to do crew trips to and from my LKO station. I've sent it up to fetch another batch of 7 recent recruits who just came back from a team building trip to the Mun and Minmus. Getting more comfortable with the landing approach, I haven't crashed it yet and only had to do one go-around when I came in too high. Here's a nice night launch:

6N19eVvU_o.jpg

Docking at the station, carefully...

8cvWtX3t_o.jpg

On the way back I concentrated on keeping the crew alive so I didn't make any snaps. However at the same time I've been testing a slight variation on the model. The 2 nuke engines give it a very low TWR in orbit so I've been testing a model that replaces them with 2 aerospikes. I had to rebalance the Lx/Ox mix a bit and change the configuration of the engines, but it can still carry more than enough fuel for LKO operations, orbital adjustments are much nicer, and the reduction in weight doesn't hurt the handling either.

Here's some shots of the tests. Catching thin air:

1rtmkxHp_o.jpg

And thick air...

VxcoXQLX_o.jpg

Approach to KSC with a good view of the engine configuration. I have the upper and lower Rapiers set up in action groups, I find the square configuration makes it handle quite nicely. Using only the bottom 2 engines on approach makes it easier to keep the nose from tipping down at low speeds. The Aerospikes also help getting to orbit, once the Rapiers run out of breathable air I can stage them and get an extra boost to get my Ap out of the atmosphere quicker. And as a bonus, it gets rid of the tank and engine part clipping:

9xh1PSRk_o.jpg

I need quite a bit of runway but I haven't gone off the end yet :)

SCkfllva_o.jpg

I want to try to make a version with 3 Mk-2 cabins, I currently have a small cargo hold with some extra monoprop and 2 medium reaction wheels in front of the cabins, but I can incorporate the reaction wheels in the side tanks and don't really need the extra monoprop, so I can replace the hold with another cabin without changing the length of the craft. 12 luxury seats makes it better for tourist transports. I had brought my old pre-SSTO method down to a cost of 3.5K per tourist (return trip). With just the fuel costs for a return trip in this thing, assuming 12 or 13 tourists per trip I can get that down to less than 1000 Kreds per tourist.

The rest of the trip is 100% re-usable and sustainable (and all investment have long been earned back). 1000 Kreds, total costs per person, to visit all planets and moons up to Dres. Eat your heart out SpaceX!

On boy have I been busy (procrastinating). But I'm back, with plenty of more image spam missions and stories to talk about! (all conveniently shortened and put in a spoiler to not invoke the wrath of the mods).

Spoiler

Anyways, I went for a drive:

ywbtuzE.png

w8XFvMt.png

Ka4tCGe.png

0ARYU4S.png

vTKZ5l5.png

Quite the view.

A new station is constructed:

zespnDb.png

2Hh87vJ.png

saxqY6O.png

pVMu6LE.png

kkkzJ8I.png

8osaD03.png

JIIBrjE.png

Crew arrive as well!

ALQJ1pr.png

XhRJQIy.png

BtVYUSz.png

With its successor in place, an old station is deorbited:

mU0fdfs.png

Ahiw4hH.png

GuzPb1p.png

rmKg4Jk.png

It's not just stations though. The Koviets finally successfully land on the Mun using their new Cricket lander.

ZkJs0vN.png

yD6KZOP.png

7fiUO9F.png

iAu9VDH.png

Z1uiK6l.png

43qUV1w.png

GdvQOnf.png

751iHSY.png

B9Nyfve.png

VhmUfOM.png

47FJkZx.png

3hWjvrr.png

What a view.

h0nhW9J.png

Another station, and a new shuttle design is launched.

eaATfjp.png

iW9EnIn.png

PVP1gtP.png

IEgJJi5.png

woTZHmb.png

bMKnzxO.png

The new Falcon is launched to crew the station.

DbclRVr.png

X5AMYnw.png

AhP7NJV.png

jtuAlce.png

5QDmAPM.png

XpfkdBj.png

PZRQP4h.png

KqvaFwU.png

And finally, another Munar station is constructed.

hQ6xaRO.png

5D43kCF.png

ekO6jva.png

X2wuJ3T.png

(I would have loved to post everything separately, but I actually did do everything in about 2 days, and this one voice in my head obligated me to do so.)

Spoiler

Shameless self plug: if you made it this far, I did actually fully detail everything out and with a lot more (better) pictures. If you want, please do check it out.

Didn't take any pictures, but I created a refueling drone (RF-I) and sent it to Terra I to refuel Cartographer I.  I was able to bring enough fuel and monopropellant to fully refuel the survey drone, so I can now send that on its way to Minmus to do an orbital survey scan.  Once that's done, Cartographer I will come back to Terra I and get refueled a second time and await its next mission.  After that happens, RF-I will be sent back to Kerbin; I crafted it with some parachutes so that, assuming it survives re-entry, it can float to the ground and be scooped up to regain some of the funds used in launching it.  If I remember, I'll take a shot of RF-I in the VAB.

Dres transfer window coming up. I have a few tourists lined up and I'm sending 9 crew to relieve the 7 I have currently stationed there. None of them deserved the punishment of a second tour at Dres. I'm using a KerBus Mk-3 for the trip, 4 Wolfhounds, 19 seats total, it can do around 3.8K deltaV. The tourists were already in my orbital hotel, so first I headed there to pick them up:

FwdjgH4M_o.jpg

Like sardines in a can, only 1 empty seat, such efficiency:

Avz6RLch_o.jpg

Plenty of snacks aboard, they won't go hungry. Finally a swing by my refueling station to fill up the tanks:

8UJy5X10_o.jpg

I also found some time to check out an anomaly I marked on the Mun a while ago. I was expecting a Mun Arch but it turned out to be one of these:

Spoiler

9fm0iZqp_o.jpg

Hmm, I wonder if you can drill a ground anchor into these...