What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Following the deaths of 3 Kerbals, and the skyrocketing costs of replacing crashed and destroyed vehicles, KSC director Gene Kerman chose to shutdown Project Penguin, the KSC's Munar program. Attention is now shifted to the new interplanetary projects, with two three kerbal crews going to the Duna and Eve systems to land on Ike and Gilly respectively.

Good idea. Interplanetary journeys are always a lot cheaper and safer than the Mun.

I kid, good luck.

I tested "Kerpollo 1," what will be fairly close to the first craft I fly in my new series when 0.24 comes out. It'll maximize the science I can get with 0 unlocked tech nodes and remaining in LKO at the highest. The tricky part was, I have the capsule at the bottom so Jeb can get out and do science on the launch pad (and KSC. And the runway. And the shores. But I ain't running to the grasslands or swimming out far enough to get "water") and still take off so it counts (by my fairly specific definition) as a single launch and mission.

After 2 tests, I think I can get about 175 tech or so, enough to get up through the thermometer and large science lab with enough left over for either a gimbaling engine or a radial decopuler, making Minpollo an interesting idea.

It's a better plan than launching something to get 5 each of everything from each Biome on Minmus, I can tell you.

Today I learnt that when the map view says you are going to hit a mountain on the Mun, you are going to hit a mountain on the Mun. And should take corrective action instead of thinking you'll clear it and preparing for the suicide burn in the crater just beyond.

Today I learnt that when the map view says you are going to hit a mountain on the Mun, you are going to hit a mountain on the Mun. And should take corrective action instead of thinking you'll clear it and preparing for the suicide burn in the crater just beyond.

LOL... and here I am trying to see how close I can get to mountain-crashing.

(Down to a 4.8k orbit around Minmus now. I get darn close to some of the ridges...)

EDIT: Ok, found a new way to break the game. Time warping when a space station is flying overhead in low orbit! :D

6634C1D0A081CB3ED85580A59399261FD505BB2E

First, Minmus gets eaten, but then barfed back up to normal.

ED0BFCE653253B4FFF6412B0009B4D8DFE249FB9

Then the space station vanishes... except in the eyes of one lonely Kerbal who is trapped inside an invisible capsule.

Edited by Xacktar

Using my nuclear cargo ferry to bring my science lander to Mün orbit and back.
You are using far too many NTRs. Their strength is their high isp, but their disadvantage is their high mass. Using that many NTRs for so little payload means the NTRs themselves likely make up the single biggest share of mass. You'd get more delta-v and likely faster burns by using lighter engines instead. As is, your spacecraft is extremely inefficient.

You're also bringing wings with you to Mun. Never bring wings with you to Mun, unless your spacecraft is a direct-return glider, which yours isn't. If they're left from the launch stage, you should put them on the low end of the rocket instead. There's no use for them in low pressure or vacuum, and they contribute to inbalance by being placed high in-atmosphere.

You are using far too many NTRs. Their strength is their high isp, but their disadvantage is their high mass. Using that many NTRs for so little payload means the NTRs themselves likely make up the single biggest share of mass. You'd get more delta-v and likely faster burns by using lighter engines instead. As is, your spacecraft is extremely inefficient.

You're also bringing wings with you to Mun. Never bring wings with you to Mun, unless your spacecraft is a direct-return glider, which yours isn't. If they're left from the launch stage, you should put them on the low end of the rocket instead. There's no use for them in low pressure or vacuum, and they contribute to inbalance by being placed high in-atmosphere.

my tugs use 8 NTRs, although that's a bit different, they often are pulling around heavier objects at one, or both ends. I assume he does the same, although, I would have put a 2.5m at the core.

Yeah, you're not having fun the right way

Wait :huh:

First they start doing things inefficiently, then they start smiling... what next? Laughing?!?! Actual enjoyment!?!?!

Trwxer1.jpg

We can't allow this to continue. :D

Edited by Xacktar

First they start doing things inefficiently, then they start smiling... what next? Laughing?!?! Actual enjoyment!?!?!

no, next comes explosions.

Actually, if we're going for efficiency (hint: I'm not) we should just forego the 4300 m/s dV required to lift off of Kerbin and build our rockets in orbit. Like so:

a88uKfh.png

Actually, if we're going for efficiency (hint: I'm not) we should just forego the 4300 m/s dV required to lift off of Kerbin and build our rockets in orbit.

That seems a tad on the low side, though (unless you're using FAR) :)

Anyway: this is the last time I send so many ships at once. Setting up encounters one after another gets old fast.

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af109/Ravenchant/KSP/screenshot1486_zps3f0d8dc6.png

That seems a tad on the low side, though (unless you're using FAR) :)

Anyway: this is the last time I send so many ships at once. Setting up encounters one after another gets old fast.

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af109/Ravenchant/KSP/screenshot1486_zps3f0d8dc6.png

Yeah, that's actually pessimistic with FAR

also, nice armada; where's it headed?

Nothing today on account of my youngest son having an allergic reaction that required hospitalization. Last night, landed probes on the surface of Eve for Science. First success in landing anything at all on Eve to date.

First i wanted to continue work on my latest space train assembly for Jool: HKS Fat Jool. It'll take a while until everything is launched and attached. Here it only got it's first fuel tank attached and minimum 4 more to come.

hks_fat_jool_01.jpg

But i got sidetracked by a few really very rich Kerbals, who were not too satisfied with the progress of public space exploration. They wanted to speed it up by some private investments into space exploration, so i decided to design a private space yacht / research vessel for them. Here is the first version of the yacht (nearly 200t) with it's launcher on the launch pad. The launch rocket is also using the fuel of the yacht.

shp_good_fella_01.jpg

I have to admit that the first two versions of the launch rocket were too weak which means that the first two ultra rich Kerbals who could afford a yacht now rest in pieces. Here the reentry of one of these dudes.

shp_good_fella_02.jpg

But the 3rd one got lucky and reached a stable orbit around Kerbin. Since the launch rockets are designed to use up the yachts fuel for launch, i had to refuel it. So soon after having the 3rd mega rich Kerbal in space a fuel module which is also used for space trains launched to refuel the yacht.

shp_good_fella_03.jpg

And now it's time to decide about the yachts payload. I tend to think that an atmospheric lander would be good for moons and Duna and a space plane perhaps. Also maybe some satellites. The Yacht has enough docking ports.

Returned from the Mun Mission my two-part ship. I thought that ship was pretty effective and decided to left it on 100-200 km orbit after aerobreaking. Unfortunatly, I messed up aerobraking. I made it 3 times and got periapsis of 400 km height. Thought, it could be better. Tried again. 30 km :(

Anyway, lander part with crew was sucsesfully recovered. (Actually, it crushed himself when chutes was aftomaticaly cut. But crew survived)

No screenshots today, sorry.

P.S. Sorry for grammar mistakes. I just woke up and my english knowledge is not in best shape.