What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

@Akagi The nerds over at the design bureau were finally able to replace those old hollowed out DLC booster tail sections with some shiny new fairings, which now makes the Strato-1 pure stock compatible!

Craft: https://kerbalx.com/fleventeen/Strato-1

They are however still struggling to make it fit in the island airfield hangers. :( 

Perhaps it would go in sideways...

WvVihvh.png

P9Hri98.jpg

Just now, fleventeen said:

@Akagi The nerds over at the design bureau were finally able to replace those old hollowed out DLC booster tail sections with some shiny new fairings, which now makes the Strato-1 pure stock compatible!

Craft: https://kerbalx.com/fleventeen/Strato-1

They are however still struggling to make it fit in the island airfield hangers. :( 

Perhaps it would go in sideways...

WvVihvh.png

P9Hri98.jpg

I think I've outpaced you with...

UP BEAN ONE!

https://kerbalx.com/Akagi/Up-Bean-1

PGP7VRi.png

[JAXA+] Launched on 2028-05-15 by a H-Z 204S rocket, the "Momotaro" crewed asteroid exploration mission (Kenji Makabe, Reiji Nitta, and Serika Itou) arrived at the near-Earth asteroid "Onigashima" six months later (2028-11-12).

The spacecraft, modified from the "Tsukuyomi" lunar lander, features solar arrays instead of Kilopower reactors (since the spacecraft is almost always in sunlight), and an experimental centrifuge with 0.1 G of artificial gravity.

WRH0VsO.png

dnNM2nB.png

h7R7EMH.png

Bit of a refueling mission to top off the liquid methane and oxidizer on the Tylo lander (ended up being short by around a hundred units but it'll do). Then I sent the whole thing off with a transfer burn of 5,000m/s.
Sy6Pnzg.jpg

19 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

I ragequitted and will leave ksp for a few days. then maybe i'll come up with some ideas to try and fix this mess.

Hot damn, that was painful to look at. Yeah I scrapped careers for less.

EDIT: Well, a few more things happened. I ran the Sarnus gauntlet with the Verne-powered ship, visiting all of its moons (though no landing). Got some pretty good pictures, and then burned for home. I also had a landing happening on Gilly around the same time. EZPZ stuff for ground science.
That done, I had a pretty good gap before the next mission needed attention, I decided to expand the Mun orbital station into a full-fledged recycling and production facility. It already had storage for LH2, LF, Ox, lithium, Mono, RP, scrap metal and metal, but no recycler, no furnace, no printer, and no storage for liquid methane, nuclear salt water, fission fragments, and fission pellets. The recycler part is kinda important considering the amount of junk and spent stages I purposefully crash into the Mun. It came into use immediately after being attached, eating its own spent stages, the stages for the next modules, and the monoprop-pod that were used to put smaller stuff into place.

Spoiler

X4leSOn.jpg
tdyn4Cx.jpg
rltuGSn.jpg
MuML6YT.jpg
YNwSwDI.jpg
f4Oqya5.jpg
4vHInjS.jpg
6Ph1k90.jpg
7w83Ui9.jpg

Edited by Axelord FTW

Today, I finalised construction of my Duna Mission. It's the first interplanetary craft I've ever made, and the first large ship I've built in Orbit.

8fmjPRJ.png

You can probably guess that I've repurposed some of my orbital boosters as the engines. I've been putting docking clamps on all my LKO craft for a while now, in prep for this. I've also built a cargo craft that allows me to refuel the tanks. I haven't unlocked the 'mining' aspect yet, but that's my next goal. You can see the Lander mounted on the front. It is... Not Pretty, and the central 'spire' is off by about 15 degrees, but this is my first time constructing a 'Mothership'.

The Ship has a science lab, plenty of battery, large solar arrays, and a combined Delta-V of almost 4000, (not counting the Lander). That should get me to Duna Orbit and Back. There's a 'hitchhiker' storage unit with two 'fuel cells' in it, which I can install mid-flight if I miscalculated the solar.

Note that it also has two more docking ports. That was because I was hoping to build a craft that could land, generate fuel, launch, and dock, to refuel. If I can take a refueller or two with me, this craft is reusable for future missions. The engines are also symmetrical, which means I can add more engines to the 'drive section' and build up extra Delta-V for my next flight.

Also, I've never tried to 'rename' a craft before. If I can do that, any suggestions?

13 minutes ago, stephensmat said:

Also, I've never tried to 'rename' a craft before. If I can do that, any suggestions?

R-click on a cockpit or probe controller and see the Rename Vessel option.

(Congratulations on your build!)

The Grand Starbase project is nearing completion. All 5 major modules are now attatched, and I'll be relying on the Beluga for the smaller modules. Today, I launched the first of these launches to deliver 2 fertilizer containers for the (yet un-added) agroponics modules.

SinbPji.png

wEuKOnM.png

1EGjxLJ.png

7ASR7zd.png

fTc180M.png

cAdBkPx.png

Unfortunately, a wing flap was destroyed. That'll probably come back to haunt me come reentry.

Vw5Mck2.png

Manuevering in for docking, at night, unfortunately.

Pux069X.png

aUj7b27.png

Docked at Kerbin Starbase. None of the gravity wheels or solar panels have yet been deployed.

6 hours ago, DunaManiac said:

The Grand Starbase project is nearing completion. All 5 major modules are now attatched, and I'll be relying on the Beluga for the smaller modules. Today, I launched the first of these launches to deliver 2 fertilizer containers for the (yet un-added) agroponics modules.

SinbPji.png

wEuKOnM.png

1EGjxLJ.png

7ASR7zd.png

fTc180M.png

cAdBkPx.png

Unfortunately, a wing flap was destroyed. That'll probably come back to haunt me come reentry.

Vw5Mck2.png

Manuevering in for docking, at night, unfortunately.

Pux069X.png

aUj7b27.png

Docked at Kerbin Starbase. None of the gravity wheels or solar panels have yet been deployed.

What's the mod for those rings?

Sent a rover to some Kerbals stranded on Laythe.

JVQ0ju6.png

"We got a rover today. Was quite a surprise and exciting too! Hope they send us some food soon, or better yet, a rescue mission. I'm tired of eating fish.*"

- Mission Commander, Dongan Kerman. T+ 3Y, 268d, Y4, Day 365 

uK5CDqH.png

wd2B5RG.png

*Yes, I do think there are fish on Laythe.

Worked a little bit on my KRT 1090-2.1 rough terrain crane (Kerbalized Liebherr LRT 1090-2.1). I renamed it the KRT 1090-2.2, showing that it is a crappier improved version. 

Screenshot363.pngScreenshot362.pngScreenshot368.pngrough-terrain-cranes-lrt-1090-2-1-liebhe

Spoiler

Screenshot366.pngNow featuring KerboBase! (Liebherr's VarioBase)Screenshot365.pngScreenshot364.pngScreenshot373.pngScreenshot371.png

Sorry all the pictures are at night, but I was afraid to timewarp and make the Kraken angry. It still needs more work, but I'm making a little progress. I didn't make any improvements to lifting capacity. I haven't done a lift test yet with this version but I'll bring one of my Kania trucks out with a load for the crane to lift later/tomorrow/in a while.

I'm trying to launch a 21 kt ship with a 20m klaw to push a class E asteroid out of the solar system. The largest fuel tank is exploding at 400 m/s. I believe it's due to axial aerodynamic force. I guess that's why real rockets throttle back at Max Q. For size reference, that's a stock docking port senior on the side of the tank I'm referring to. The klaw is 300 tons! :D

4fHVRcH.png

On 4/28/2022 at 10:13 PM, Axelord FTW said:

The Kerbin ejection will burn through 10,000m/s

I haven't played OPM but I don't think you need that much dV. If you're at LKO you'll need around 2300*[1-sqrt(2)] =943 m/s to escape Kerbin and then to escape the Kerbol system it's about 9285*[1-sqrt(2)]=3.8 km/s. So under 5 km/s total, unless you're in a big hurry.

What's "NSW-ES+"?  Google lead me here: 

http://www.kspcounselling.com.au/ :sticktongue:

On 4/29/2022 at 7:55 PM, Austin_Kerman said:

For the first time in three weeks, I did absolutely nothing in KSP today. :(

Pics or it didn't happen. 

Edited by Krazy1

6 hours ago, Krazy1 said:

I haven't played OPM but I don't think you need that much dV. If you're at LKO you'll need around 2300*[1-sqrt(2)] =943 m/s to escape Kerbin and then to escape the Kerbol system it's about 9285*[1-sqrt(2)]=3.8 km/s. So under 5 km/s total, unless you're in a big hurry.

What's "NSW-ES+"?  Google lead me here:
[snip]

With 500,000ms of dV at my disposal, hohmann transfers are merely a suggestion. I could have gone for 20,000ms burn instead but I decided to wait until Kerbin was traveling in the right direction.
NSW-ES+ is just shorthand for Nuclear-Salt-Water Engine Stack (plus hab modules). It's not a real thing or whatever.

Anyway, the Tylo mission had some issues the very moment it touched down. Namely... ladder, or lack thereof. Had to send the scientist on the crew down with the stake and stay down there, all alone, while the Fattest Cricket was being built. That done, everyone took the plunge off the lander and succinctly faceplanted, before getting into the rover-factory. Unfortunately, I forgot to take the science data with me, which meant I had to somehow get back up there. Built a small crane and lifted a kerbal back to the top, where he collected everything that could still be of use before jumping back down. Sure, it would have been simpler to churn out a few ladder bits and weld them unto the lander but @Ben J. Kerman up there inspired me. Next I built a rover to get some science from nearby biomes, place down some surface stuff, and scan surface features (most of which was also something that needed to be done for contracts). That done, I launched a very light relay satellite so I could call home and send data. I also built a lab-on-sticks to get everyone leveled up to 4.

Next would be to upscale the operation on Tylo. Still got plenty of time before the next alarm for another ongoing mission arrives. At this point, the factory greatly outpaces its ability to create rocket parts, which makes producing small stuff like a rover can take up to ten days. I'm thinking of maybe making the next big step in rover-factory technology by upscaling the idea once more. I haven't done a launchpad-on-wheels yet.

Spoiler

kdBBnbW.jpg
vnlAePp.jpg
oLmv8G1.jpg
J1ZL7Xf.jpg

EDIT: Well, that's done!

Spoiler

SVe8AOs.jpg

Edited by Axelord FTW

Continuation of my Jool science mission in this new career save with the same spacecraft. Flew by Tylo then Vall then back to Laythe but unfortunately we miscalculated the insertion burn at Laythe and entered the atmosphere. The spacecraft exploded. Managed lots of science before that unfortunate accident though. Fortunately there is another, identical spacecraft due in this system in a few weeks to explore the other moons (launched more or less the same time from Kerbin but different path). The gravity assists within the Jool system makes it pretty easy to get around with a small amount of fuel.

TBOuzJE.png

YSlsdTc.png

gdz2rei.png

After a 2 week break and theorising on how to rescue kerbals I am working on stuff to rescue them no Life support mod yet but going to rescue them soon.
The first week of the school holidays I started my Jool 5 but me forgetting drills I cannot complete it so I restarted and working on new mothership design

33 minutes ago, Kerb24 said:

I got more frustrated trying to assembly the ISS, but I also was offered this contract which is irrefusable. ?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

?