What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Extreme aerobraking!

1024x576.resizedimage

I finally warped time so my Discovery JL-1 mothership and probes would reach Jool. This is my first interplanetary mission and was launched several rl weeks ago. After 3 attempts I managed to work out a suitable periapsis so that I wouldn't either escape Jool's SOI or spiral into its crushing gravity well. Pretty fireworks ensued but the ship held together and I achieved a reasonably equatorial orbit from Jool's atmosphere out to past Laythe. A couple more passes have since brought my apoapsis down to inside Laythe's orbit and tomorrow I'll circularise properly.

1024x576.resizedimage

1024x576.resizedimage

1024x576.resizedimage

1024x576.resizedimage

Edited by irongut

I made a stupid mistake in my first Tylo landing attempt. The plan was to complete the mission in three parts: first figure out how to land, then learn to land efficiently, and finally try to take off. After the first succesful landing, I accidentally quicksaved instead of quickloading, so I was left with something like 100 m/s too little to reach orbit. The only thing I could do was to abandon the lander, circularize with the jetpack, and launch a rescue mission from Laythe.

tylo_fail_1.jpeg

tylo_fail_2.jpeg

tylo_fail_3.jpeg

tylo_fail_4.jpeg

tylo_fail_5.jpeg

tylo_fail_6.jpeg

Where's it headed?

Duna! As I don't use NERVAs unless absolutely neccessary, the "nearby" planets are going to see lots of activity before the Kerbals go to Laythe or so :) There are seven ships- apart from the habitat one, they carry 3 landers, 2 15-ton rovers, comm sats/beacons, a small station and 3 auxiliary craft.

Save scumming.

My Mun lander hadn't previously given me any trouble. But I'd slightly tweaked the design, to bring the Goo Canisters back up instead of leaving them. That way I can take back two results for the experiment, putting one in each of the orbiter's command pods.

This small, seemingly trivial change resulted in the landing legs knocking the engine off when they decoupled. Twice. Third time round, I got lucky.

I've since changed the design again, hopefully the fault won't recur.

Career game met with abject disaster today. For starters, my Ike flight seems to have completely disappeared; I caught Jeb sipping coffee in the astronaut complex when he was supposed to be orbiting Ike.

Things also made a turn for the worse with my Gilly mission. After realizing that the mothership couldn't produce electrical power on its own (all the solar panels were on the drop probes and the two returning to Kerbin had battery packs only), I left one probe attached and went ahead and sent the lander portion off to Gilly, with the mothership staying in Eve orbit. Landing went okay, but on return to Eve I discovered that I had managed to put the lander in a 180 degree retrograde orbit relative to the mothership. With only 100 m/s of fuel left and a hell of a lot of science at stake, it's definitely time for me to begin planning a rescue mission. The hope is to save both parts of the mission; aerobraking to get both in the same flight might be tricky at best.

I managed a landing on Tylo and took off again ... though it's a good thing I did a quicksave before the descent, the first try plowed into the side of a hill. This was with the use of the Kethane mod, but then, it's also a lander for all 5 of Jool's moons and didn't drop anything anywhere (except on launch from Kerbin).

Come to think of it, I had to load from a quicksave on Laythe too ... it blew up when the chutes deployed the first time! I should probably have used two drogue chutes and two normal instead of four normal...

Made my own version of a Kerbal Kannon and shot Kerbals about 520m/sec away from KSC and crashing them about 5km away in the hills... ...

http://2thextreme.org/forum_images/ksp/kk.jpg

I'd love to see your setup dude. Also there is a challenge for the best Kannon.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/72287-Kerbal-Accelerator-Challenge

In the ongoing dragging-out Lars Kerman rescue mission, Jack Kerman tried to dock a Kaku-class Lander with the Tyson-class Interplanetary Station in orbit over Duna, only to find that somehow his Clampotron Sr had come loose - though still attached to the Lander, it could not dock with the station... back to the ole drawing board. :huh:

I have not done much in KSP today as I needed to get a new mouse, my old one was randomly double clicking and making build crafts a nightmare. Soon I will be able to play much better....once it i all updated of course. I have also been messing around with a science lab mobile base setup and I hope to have it finished and flight worthy soonish.

I sent my first mission to Duna. When I arrived there, I found out that the lander was defective and, after transfering all its fuel back to the interplanetary stage, I headed back to Kerbin in shame.

I'd love to see your setup dude. Also there is a challenge for the best Kannon.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/72287-Kerbal-Accelerator-Challenge

I'm still working on the design. I'll show pics when I get it tweaked a little more. I'm also going to be moving a long distance move later this week so I'll be out of contact for awhile after this Thursday.

Started my first manned Duna lander mission

mH2ayYD.png

This mission was a cursed ball to handle :( had to redo it so much times. Anyways it was worth it.

jaBvYVx.png

Here's a preview of how decoupling the Retroburners looks like

IK1R4bd.png

Finished to add more part to my orbital shipyard around Minmus and is currently constructing an copy of it I will send to Jool.

TbVxLGN.png

The ship in the back is an ketane and ore miner. suprisingly its far heavier than the shipyard as it carry so much ore.

Edited by magnemoe