What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I built an interplanetary passenger ship to carry colonists to Laythe. Continuing with the tradition of giving "lucky" names to interplanetary ships, I named this one the Poseidon. Now I'm just waiting for the Nostromo to return from Jool, so that I can reuse its engines with the Poseidon.

poseidon_1.jpeg

Cupola modules always mean difficult launches becuse of their drag. This time I tried using three smaller launch stages instead of one big rocket. It worked, but the rocket was still hard to handle until about 35 km. As an added nuisance, there was not enough fuel left in the launch stages to deorbit them from a 600 km orbit, so I'm going to need a fuel tanker for that.

poseidon_2.jpeg

poseidon_3.jpeg

I'm starting to think my Career save is over :\

I spent all evening:

1. Redesigning my Mun base, hauling it all the way to the Mun, and landing it

2. Accomplishing the near-impossible task of landing my crew transport (which was never designed to do so) on the Mun so I could bring home Bill & Bob (I need them for test pilots so I don't kill mortal Kerbals)

3. After numerous attempts to get my sideways-landed crew transport OFF the Mun, I somehow managed to corrupt my save so that every time I quickloaded the Mun base decided it was time to start doing explosive gymnastics. Or I got the old "ActiveVesselScaled" error. Using HyperEdit (carefully) I managed to force-teleport them both back to Kerbin and save my poor Kerbals, but... it kinda ruins immersion when I have to stuff like that.

Add to that my impatience to get the ARM patch and start a fresh save (I actually like having a fresh start when major patches occur), wherein I can safely change the physics settings without worrying paranoidly about my time-tested ships suddenly acting differently (read: exploding) and apply my newfound knowledge about how Science works... and much as I love KSP I'm losing my motivation to continue this save.

tl;dr: My ship blew up and now I'm sad.

Replicated :)

zrtvZ7E.png

The copy of the orbital dock goes to Jool, stupid thing is that the launch from Minmus orbit cost more dV than from LKO 2500 m/s instead of 2000 so I need to build an fuel tank and dock with it as it only have 3000 m/s

Cupola modules always mean difficult launches becuse of their drag. This time I tried using three smaller launch stages instead of one big rocket. It worked, but the rocket was still hard to handle until about 35 km. As an added nuisance, there was not enough fuel left in the launch stages to deorbit them from a 600 km orbit, so I'm going to need a fuel tanker for that.
Glitches notwithstanding, it's an elegant design.

Made my 2nd attempt at a Minmus landing ... and discovered I forgot to stick a radio to the lander. This became important when my Kerbal was attempting to jump up for the capsule and accidently knocked the entire lander on it's side ... and no way to salvage some of the science via radio :P

On a side note, on my 3rd landing attempt, I discovered locking the suspension on the landing struts makes it almost impossible for the Kerbal to knock the lander over in his excitement :P

I've been practicing with no mods and managed to get a probe in orbit around Eve to transmit back some science before I misjudged the atmosphere start and accidentally deorbited. Then my parachutes accidentally ripped off and the probe was destroyed on impact.

Still, I'm happy to have achieved an orbit around Eve without using MechJeb. That adds Eve and Duna to my list of destinations without assistance. I still need to hit their moons and work out a vessel that can get a kerbal there and back, but it's a start!

You know when your rendezvous is too good? My trusty RPM got me down to a closest approach of 20 meters. Between the size of the space station and the wingspan of my plane, that was too close. I noticed and rotated just seconds before clipping the solar panels with my wing, at 50 m/s.

I learnt that a fuel tank can be placed on top of an in-line docking port in the VAB, yet can be miraculously 'undocked' while in flight.

I had always assumed that if you wanted to do that, you needed to have a stack separator between them.

This. changes. everything.

First attempt at the SSTO to EVE sea level and back to orbit challenge...it did not go as planned.

Took off at KSC, alcubierred over to Eve, started to deorbit...and my damn engine blew up at the top of the atmosphere. Still not sure why. Might have changed fuel mode to air intake by accident instead of atmo.

Barbald will have to wait a few days for me to rescue him. At least he's conveniently marking my 1m sea level landing spot.

2kkoFJr.png

Tested a satellite launching system, after orbit was reached I realized a Duna transfer window was opened, and ended up sending the test probe which didn't have any Science! (it was a test, I had no idea it was Duna capable) and ended up landing on Duna without parachutes. Well, time to start planning manned mission.

First a spaceplane test: result - a terrible design that cannot even take off without its aerospikes, and flies like a drunken, brain damaged hippo. So that there new design is useless.

Then, I used the timewarp and finished my two probe missions: First the ion probe got the Near Sun gravitics and thermal data, and I looked at getting it to Eve, but the burns were ridiculously long, so I decided not to bother.

nvphUj.png

Then the LaytheProbe did its thing. After some rather terrible mistakes, I quickloaded and decided to just come down wherever.

dU9UuK.png

Transmitted the High Jool, High Laythe and Near Laythe gravitics, then the Near Laythe thermal. The aerobrake turned immediately into a landing pass and ripped off two of my Gigantor arrays when they were accidentally opened. Then transmitted the atmospheric and thermal data of high Laythe atmosphere and came down in the water on what seems to be a long term dark side of Laythe, not that I checked for all that long. Transmitted all science I could, again. Using timewarp, the RTGs produced power more quickly than the transmitter used it, so that helped.

RVxl2A.png

Completed the tech tree with almost 400 science spare - which may have been more than the sun-dive got.

%D0%92%D0%BE%D0%BB%D1%8F4.jpg

Finished my ÒþûѠstation and brought Bill and Bob over to it. They're going to be doing various surveys and radiometry while a lander crew and fuel for the SSTO is shipped over.

I completed a mission to Gilly in my career mode game without science experiments. There was a lot of tedious fighting with the maneuver node interface in the stock game, as MechJeb had only the information screens unlocked at that point. I'm not masochistic enough to enjoy that anymore.

gilly_mission_1.jpeg

gilly_mission_2.jpeg

gilly_mission_3.jpeg

A normal landing at Gilly. The ship stands straight with minimal SAS usage, as long as you don't go too far from it. If you go away and return, the ship starts falling over.

gilly_mission_4.jpeg

I decided that using jetpack to reach orbit qualified as doing something new during EVA, justifying an EVA report.

gilly_mission_5.jpeg

gilly_mission_6.jpeg

The interplanetary ship had no way to land on Kerbin, so I had to launch another ship to recover the crew. With the big command pod unlocked with the science points from the crew reports, the game doesn't feel so low-tech anymore. I could even have unlocked nuclear engines instead of some mostly useless 90-point nodes, but I didn't feel it was the time for them just yet.

Sent a ship to Moho, or tried to. The launch window calculator I used doesn't seem to have worked; my periapsis ended up on the other side of the Sun from where Moho was going to be. Guess I'll just have to orbit a few times until they match up.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/81551041/%D0%92%D0%BE%D0%BB%D1%8F4.jpg

Finished my ÒþûѠstation and brought Bill and Bob over to it. They're going to be doing various surveys and radiometry while a lander crew and fuel for the SSTO is shipped over.

That picture reminds me of Avatar opening scene.

That planet mod is it?