What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I just broke my own speed record, due to an accidental simultaneous explossion of 4 LV-N engines. This screenshot shows the speed of a couple of survivor parts at a ridiculous speed of about 5.000.000.000.000m/s

Now I wonder what's the absolute speed record... xD

A7wXYWy.png

I expanded a little on my station in LKO with the KSO, test flew the Buran from Bobcats soviet pack, and rescued three kerbals that were stranded in orbit of Moho. I am never going to Moho again. Or maybe I am, but not anytime soon, and not until I figure out a better way to do it. Tomorrow, I'm going to rescue Jeb, Bill and Bob who are stranded on Laythe.

Encountered a mysterious space-rift orbiting Jool that teleported back three stranded Kerbals into LKO... Deorbited it and collected all the science from it, sent up an escape pod while simultaneously testing a super low-tech orbiter design. Brought back my remaining Kerbal from LKO, and am now preparing to copy-paste my roster from pre-ARM to ARM patch, whenever that gets released. Starting a new save with my old pilots will be a load of fun, I'm sure! I may have gotten rather sentimentally attached to them... :sticktongue:

Motivation for anything else is at an all time low while waiting, lol.

Well tried to land upon Duna with a SSTO plane First atempt landed safely sort of:

5FDFA962B37C80F7055A79806B2DE2A83EF88898

After a few booms and fuel transfers I gave up and stayed with this landing:

5BC56F0F041D0BD4D85187E05A2AFF145CC63A55

As you can see. The boosters are still intact. To bad there is no way to re-attach them yet. Right now designing a rescue ship to get him back into orbit with his friends. And yeah. Looks like I need at least a few more controll surfaces or boosters able to push up so I can have softer landings.

I launched a massive 50t unmanned probe to Jool. I'm playing a career mode game with the Interstellar Quest mod-list that Scott Manley was using. I had to launch the ship in 3 parts because I don't have very large engines unlocked and all the parts have to fit in the fairings. The ship has a large heat-shield on the front-end to help aerobrake and save delta-v. There are 4 sub-probes that will visit the various planets. Two have heat-shields for atmospheric entry. There's something like 8000 m/s delta-v in the ship before leaving Kerbin and I think it will have enough to navigate the Jool system.

I'm really looking forward to figuring out how to make everything work with Remote Tech 2 running - should be fun!

http://imgur.com/zRqKBDBs

http://imgur.com/rSChyyq

http://imgur.com/LYzf7tu

http://imgur.com/8Ei2jAi

http://imgur.com/a75SuVL

sent the first manned mission to Ike. Which worked flawlessly until it crashed into Ike while sitting in a parking orbit around Duna waiting for its return window to Kerbin. A parking orbit that never intersected the Ike SOI.

One second they were sitting there watching Duna go by, happy but bored. Next second I get a popup that they'd crashed into Ike and died.

Delivered a fuel module to my Mun station. This is the last operational Aquila tug in action...they have just the right amount of fuel to get a Jumbo to low Mun orbit and return to their depot. Once the station is finished, I'll probably retire them in favour of NERVA-powered ones, though.

screenshot1512_zps6b67955e.png

sent the first manned mission to Ike. Which worked flawlessly until it crashed into Ike while sitting in a parking orbit around Duna waiting for its return window to Kerbin. A parking orbit that never intersected the Ike SOI.

One second they were sitting there watching Duna go by, happy but bored. Next second I get a popup that they'd crashed into Ike and died.

Did you actually calculate that it would miss the SOI, or did you just trust the game when it didn't show an encounter? Because that's a known bug with circular orbits near enough to those of moons; there's no prediction of the encounter until it happens. (And then you hit the moon, because your velocities are similar.)

I put 3000 tons in a 300km orbit over Kerbin:

r30eYrk.png

Liftoff. It's canted over like that because it launches straight off the pad (no launch clamps - they just outright don't work when they have to support 17,000 tons of spacecraft, regardless of how many there are). Or, perhaps more accurately, the middle bit launches off the pad - most of the booster hangs off the sides.

7DhJDfh.png

First stage separation. We're less than 1km over KSC.

Xk1OorE.png

Stage 2 is away. 3km and starting to pick up speed.

qJ5ljUe.png

Stage 3 dropped - we're starting the gravity turn soon.

DPEcKN6.png

Starting the gravity turn. Something this big is ALWAYS slow to turn, so it travelled a few more kilometers vertically before it started picking up appreciable horizontal speed.

7VY0Grs.png

Stage 4 away. The booster now only has one more stage, and we've shed about 50% of our launch mass. The empty stage 4 tanks clocked in at about 600 tons.

YGW54jC.png

Stage 4 made a nice ring formation when it dropped (uncommon with stages this size), so it felt like a real shame not to take a picture. So I did.

6OntHFP.png

The final booster stage drops. Altitude is about 50km, and apoapsis is just outside the atmosphere. The transfer stage will continue the burn from here.

dehxa3q.png

The payload from a different angle, showing off the transfer stage. This is about the time when I went to bed.

0rK3KuF.png

In orbit (after having drifted for about an in-game hour).

The whole flight was flown by MechJeb, because it took ~3-4 RT hours to launch, and I went to bed around the time the transfer stage kicked in (not knowing if it would make orbit or crash). The payload itself is a 487-ton apartment block, meant to be landed on Tylo as part of a colonial effort I'm undertaking. 3000 tons is currently my all-time mass-to-orbit record (though I feel like I might break that in the course of this project).

Did you actually calculate that it would miss the SOI, or did you just trust the game when it didn't show an encounter? Because that's a known bug with circular orbits near enough to those of moons; there's no prediction of the encounter until it happens. (And then you hit the moon, because your velocities are similar.)

the orbit was a few hundred kilometers over Duna, well outside the SOI of Ike.

Had a busy morning.

- Returned a manned mission from Dres to Kerbin:

screenshot559.png~original

- Landed on Ike, and returned to Kerbin:

screenshot558.png~original

- Tried to return from Moho, but I'm shy about 50 DV. There's another window in about a year that theoretically costs less, so hopefully that'll work.

That makes every body landed on. :D Every one but Eve with Kerbals.

In my career mode game (still without science experiments), I built a ship to go to Duna. Then I realized that the game is about a space program, not about the adventures of three kerbals in orange suits. That made me build a second ship of the same model, with the intention to send it to Dres.

ship_to_dres.jpeg

Both ships are now waiting for their launch windows.

Then I noticed that the transfer stage of the ship is quite powerful. After some quick calculations, I determined that if I remove unnecessary things from the ship and add a bit more fuel, I can fly close to the Sun, and return to Kerbin for free after five orbits.

ship_to_sun.jpeg

Now I have three ships in orbit waiting to leave Kerbin behind.